PDA

View Full Version : The Sci-fi channel truly sucks!

LordAnubis
August 25th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Okay, my posts are not always the most popular around here, hehe, but it occurred to me today...well, it's occurred to me many times in the past over the last few years, but today, it hit me strong: the Sci-fi channel needs to hire fresh staff to revive the channel before it becomes an even bigger piece of reeking poo.

When I was in elementary school and middle school, the sci-fi channel was the coolest channel on cable. I mean, I wasn't around back in the 70s and 80s when shows like Buck Rogers, Battlestar Gallactica, V, and others were on. I never saw them until they played on the sci-fi chan. I remember coming home from school and watching buck rogers followed by battlestar gallactica and then twilight zone and then ST:TOS. I mean, they played GOOD shows. They didn't overplay them. They broke them up and played cool shows on the weekends and evenings. During the day, they played old movies or other sci-fi series like Lost in Space or some weird ones from teh 60s and 70s that i never heard of like Land of Giants and some underwater one and one about witches and one about vampires.

It was really cool to see those old shows and learn about them.

What do we have now? Let's see, ALL day MOnday, they play some crap called "roar" and all day Wednesday they play SLIDERS all day, which is cool, but they play the SAME episodes over and over! It's like they only own the rights to a few episodes! waht the hell!

Even Stargate Mondays: They have played Jolinar's memories, nemesis, and other episodes to death, but never play season 3, 4, or 6!

Do I even have to mention their "original" movies? You know, things like:

- Tripping the Rift ( a piece of crap)
- Scare tactics (ya, this scares me)
- Crossing Over with John Edwards ("I'm sensing that someone in this room has lost a loved one or had diarrhea")
- Boa vs. Python (Dr. McKay was actually in that!)
- Snakehead Terror
- Lexx

They create Farscape, which wasn't half bad, and what do they do but cancel it? To replace it with Mad, Mad, Mad House or Tripping the Rift?

Dude, whoever is the program director for Sci-fi needs to be fired in bad way.

Plus, the commercials? We're sci-fi fans, but what do they play?

1) Enzyte commercials for old guys who can't pop wood (most of us are teens/20s/30s and have no prob with this!!!)
2) chaser for those pesky hangovers (well, heh, okay this might ok)
3) ditech commercials (um, no...)
4) Mickey Rooney selling Garden State life insurance
AND...if they have an original movie or series thingy, they play a commerical for it EVERY commerical spot! EVERY commercial spot. I hate it!

If i ran sci-fi, this is what I would do:

1) stop making lame movies and series
2) stop the all-day crap; play different shows at different times, not 20 start treks in a row
3) invest into buying the rights for old and newer sci-fi series: planet of the apes, space 1999, b-star gallactica, buck rogers, sliders, V, V: The Final Battle, etc. Start playing these shows at night and on the weekends, or in the morning before classes.
4) I would also play some cool movies on the weekends and on thursday nights and stuff. I loved "The Nutty Professor" with Eddie Murphy, cuz it was funnier than hell, but is it really sci-fi material? HELL NO!

They could play ALien, Aliens, Alien Resurrection, Predator, Body Snatchers, Planet of the Apes, Robocop, Terminator, whatever..but Sci-fi movies.

Anway, Sci-fi channel, you really need to do some self examination, because right now, you make me freakin' sick!

Does anyone else agree with me on this, or am I wrong YET AGAIN :)

What do you guys think?

Jared/Lord Anubis :eek:

spg_1983
August 25th, 2004, 05:07 PM
i tottally agree with everything you said (except the bit about "Roar" sucking cause i love that show) ive been saying the same thing for years now! half the stuff the show isnt even sci-fi anymore! horror and science fiction are to entirely different genres but the insist on playing stupid horor movies. there are hundreds and hundreds of sci-fi movies the could play but why horror and reality crap all the time? even if they can't afford the rights to some of the bigger ones there are still hundreds of good, fun to watch B sci-fi movies they could play! and dont even get me started on them playing "The Flinstones in Viva Rock Vegas"! whatever genius that decided that was sci-fi and that they need to play it all the time better hope I never meet him. the programing people that decide what they are gonna play really need to go down to their local video store and look on the sci-fi rack. then maybe they will remember what it is they are supposed to be playing!

FieryHands
August 25th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Well, if you want a nitpicky remark: you failed to mention they aired Braveheart once.

I'd hate 'em too except they're airing PK Wars.

Shipperahoy
August 25th, 2004, 05:19 PM
I'm going to move this to the off-topic folder since it really doesn't pertain to Stargate per se. Oh, and as for Stargate Mondays, they go in chronological order seasons 1-5 so they haven't played any one season more than the other. But I agree about most of the original programming. Bleh.

Mike
August 25th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Stargate SG1 and Atlantis' newfound success will help the network. More people will be willing to put their shows on SciFi considering SG's new found rating scores.

Mad Mad House was generally better than most reality TV shows. I didn't like it though mainly because I don't like reality TV. The commercials are a little weird, but a few of them are funny, like the one with the little girl and the jack-in-the-box.

Stargate Monday works like that because it's going in order. They'll eventually show Season 3 and 4 soon.

They cannot show season 6 until it gets out of syndication, which is soon. They might change their schedule to start showing Seaso 6.

LordAnubis
August 25th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Stargate SG1 and Atlantis' newfound success will help the network. More people will be willing to put their shows on SciFi considering SG's new found rating scores.

Mad Mad House was generally better than most reality TV shows. I didn't like it though mainly because I don't like reality TV. The commercials are a little weird, but a few of them are funny, like the one with the little girl and the jack-in-the-box.

Stargate Monday works like that because it's going in order. They'll eventually show Season 3 and 4 soon.

They cannot show season 6 until it gets out of syndication, which is soon. They might change their schedule to start showing Seaso 6.
I totally forgot to mention their non-commerical Sci-fi chan "IF...scI-Fi" commercials like you described. Get some new ones.

The only good mini-series they did was "Taken". I didn't like the new battlestar gallactica!

Mike
August 25th, 2004, 05:42 PM
I totally forgot to mention their non-commerical Sci-fi chan "IF...scI-Fi" commercials like you described. Get some new ones.

The only good mini-series they did was "Taken". I didn't like the new battlestar gallactica!I agree, I didn't like the new Battlestar either.

DownFallAngel
August 25th, 2004, 06:51 PM
GOOD:
SG1
SGA
New BSG
Cube
Farscape
Farscape Peacekeeper Wars

BAD:
Everything else.

All their movies suck. Except CUBE, and the stargate movie. Other than that...everything else just sucks.

Raptor Island!? What is that ****!? Its a JP rip off!!

Major_Griff
August 25th, 2004, 06:58 PM
I like the all day marathons, tuesday, the played Buck Rodgers and I had never seen that show ever And I got to see plenty of them. Its such a great show, and I got to see 4 or 5 episodes of it.

August 25th, 2004, 07:10 PM
yeah sci-fi does have problems with their movies and original serieses...but only thanks to them we still have SG1 and now Atlantis, plus Farscape was good! Battlestar Galactica was also pretty good! Dune and Children Of Dune - those are the best! And they show stuff like Star Trek TOS, which is hard to find, origianl Battlestar Galactica form time to time, and Quantum Leap...and sometimes i can even watch their movies, but it's awesome that they alos show stuff like Resident Evil and Jurasick Park ;)

aAnubiSs
August 25th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Bring back FarScape, B5, SAAB, Firefly... I could go on :)

Elwe Singollo
August 25th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Since i wasn't too much of a fan of Farscape or any other show before SG was on the network, i can't say anything about how the network sucks, but i can say that scifi sure does have good in mini-series', i am really interested in those, such as Taken and Dune movies. I am also happy they show movies, although some corny and cheezy that are just fun to watch just to make fun of, i still like to watch them :D

FieryHands
August 25th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Since i wasn't too much of a fan of Farscape or any other show before SG was on the network, i can't say anything about how the network sucks, but i can say that scifi sure does have good in mini-series', i am really interested in those, such as Taken and Dune movies. I am also happy they show movies, although some corny and cheezy that are just fun to watch just to make fun of, i still like to watch them :D

Its probably for the best, any original show that has aired on Scifi has been cancelled, usually before it finishes its first season. Atlantis looks like it ought to break the cycle, but with Scifi...well, you never can be sure.

NightGloom
August 25th, 2004, 08:59 PM
The movies they show wouldn't bother me if they showed old B Sci Fi movies like from MST3K. Those are the CLASSICS! None of these new movies compare to them. I mean, haven't they played out the "larger than life snake/bugs/ aquatic creature" plot? Some of the all day marathons are good if they would play episodes in order and not completely at random. Especially when they show only one part of a two part episode.

And the commercials they show are so annoying! I'm sick of Bob! "This is Bob... Bob is doing well, VERY WELL..." I swear I have that memorized!

I was mad when they took of MST3K- I would get up EARLY Saturday to watch that show, which is basically a miracle for me. And they took off Dark Shadows... that was a good show too.

Daniel Jackson
August 25th, 2004, 09:00 PM
LordAnubis, my appendix popped a year ago, but it was kind'a nice as I got to watch cable TV for two weeks. :D Anywho, I finally got to see the sci-fi channel, but all they did was play SG-1, Star Trek, and scary movies, most of which I've seen before. :rolleyes: Where was all the sci-fi shows that I've heard so much about? Well, they weren't on SCIFI! :eek:

What is it with all-day marathons anyway? Do they really think someone has five hours to spare? :S

Elwe Singollo
August 25th, 2004, 09:03 PM
I watched a few episodes of Dark Shadows, i wasn't too interested, but probably because i was watching the very old ones in b/w, which took forever for something to happen.

Its probably for the best, any original show that has aired on Scifi has been cancelled, usually before it finishes its first season.Are you sure? Scare Tactics wasn't cancelled after its first season, i'm not too sure about that Tremors Series though, which recently got replaced by Andromeda :rolleyes:.

NightGloom
August 25th, 2004, 09:14 PM
[COLOR=Blue....What is it with all-day marathons anyway? Do they really think someone has five hours to spare? :S [/COLOR]

They're good if you're home sick or something. *ahem* But... yeah... I have not watched an entire marathon this summer *cough* nope... never...

I think Scare Tactics made it through a season, but I'm not too sure. Dark Shadows just amused me to no end. The "fight scenes" were hilarious! It was so obviously fake! The black & white ones weren't as amusing though I must admit.

Elwe Singollo
August 25th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Scare Tactics is on/or will be on its third season with a new host, since Shannon D. is moving on back to script shows, while one of the Baldwin people (forgot which one) will be taking over. Yes, they weren't amusing to me at all! I don't think i watch marathons, unless its fully of episodes of a show that i like.

LordAnubis
August 25th, 2004, 09:55 PM
LordAnubis, my appendix popped a year ago, but it was kind'a nice as I got to watch cable TV for two weeks. :D Anywho, I finally got to see the sci-fi channel, but all they did was play SG-1, Star Trek, and scary movies, most of which I've seen before. :rolleyes: Where was all the sci-fi shows that I've heard so much about? Well, they weren't on SCIFI! :eek:

What is it with all-day marathons anyway? Do they really think someone has five hours to spare? :S
My point exactly...they overplay good shows, which makes them less watchable, and they could play older shows more instead of the swill that they put on. For example, they could play Buck Rogers for an hour, Battlestar Galactica for an hour, Sliders, Planet of the Apes Series, Logan's Run series, V...whatever...ANYTHING except Tremors (the movie sucked, guess what? the series did too!), Rift, Scare Tactics, and the other crap they like to play.

Scare tactics simply sucks. It's poorly done and Shannon D sucks too. Sci-fi has done some good mini-series. I agree with Dune, Children of Dune, Taken, and I'll even say Battlestar Galactica was okay, although I had some problems with the tech, cylons (they were not supposed to be created by humans, but they were aliens who became robotic in their quest for perfection...sounds like the Borg!), and a few others.

Doesn't anyone at Sci-fi realize the potential they have to succeed? Don't they realize that their network has become a laughing stock?

Supreme Commander Thor
August 25th, 2004, 10:39 PM
The movies they show wouldn't bother me if they showed old B Sci Fi movies like from MST3K. Those are the CLASSICS!
I agree. MORE old stuff... obscure stuff we havent seen for years (or never seen at all)... there are HUNDREDS of B movies... that would keep us busy for a long time... plus take away the day long marathons and spread them out more... Then drop scare tactice and mad mad house and that crap... this would be a much better mix...

Oh yeah, and BRING BACK MST3K!!!!

Elwe Singollo
August 25th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Doesn't anyone at Sci-fi realize the potential they have to succeed? Don't they realize that their network has become a laughing stock?You may not like the network, but i guess the network executives don't care what they do to the network as long as they got their viewers, in which currently, they are achieving.

Mio
August 26th, 2004, 03:50 AM
You may not like the network, but i guess the network executives don't care what they do to the network as long as they got their viewers, in which currently, they are achieving.
Only because of Stargate :)

LordAnubis
August 26th, 2004, 03:57 AM
You may not like the network, but i guess the network executives don't care what they do to the network as long as they got their viewers, in which currently, they are achieving.
Actually, they are losing viewers left and right. We fans of stargate are loyal and put up with sci-fi's BS, but it seems to me that they are losing viewers and stuff. The channel sucks. they don't have good ppl working there dude. they need better staff who can program.

Daniel Jackson
August 26th, 2004, 05:39 AM
The movies they show wouldn't bother me if they showed old B Sci Fi movies like from MST3K. Those are the CLASSICS!
MST3K? :S

ibwolf
August 26th, 2004, 06:29 AM
I don't get the SciFi channel (wrong country) but I can't help thinking that complaining about the commercials approaches nitpicking. It's not really as if they are going to turn down advertisers because they don't have 'fun enough' ads. That would be very stupid.

Also, judging from the ratings, the SciFi channel is doing pretty well. In fact about as well as it has ever done. You may not like it, but apparently this is what generates the best ratings. Go figure.

And speaking as someone who lives in a country where almost no SciFi shows are shown on TV except Star Trek; be glad you have what you have.

Major Fischer
August 26th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Eh, it's a cable channel. Me thinks your expectations are a little high.

Anthro Girl
August 26th, 2004, 07:20 AM
I agree that the drug commercials they run are a little strange, especially considering their target demographic (young males). I'm also getting really tired of seeing the Bowflex commercials. However, since the only thing I really watch on SciFi is Stargate and I never watch it "live", it's only annoying because I have to catch the last 5 seconds of them as I skip over the commercials. :D So yeah, it's a nitpick. I feel sorry for those who really have to sit through that Enzyte one...:rolleyes:

I don't mind the B-grade sci-fi movies (I really want to see Dog Soldiers (http://www.scifi.com/onair/scifipictures/dogsoldiers/) :p) and series (i.e., Lexx)...sometimes they're just a lot of fun. I don't get all the paranormal crap (i.e., John Edwards), and although they have rights to show The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone, they don't seem to take good advantage of either, running them late at night or at odd hours during the day. I'm also not a fan of day-long marathons except for the occasional one like The Twilight Zone on a weekend.

There is a rumor (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-tv.html?2004-08/18/09.30.tv) circulating that their new parent company, NBC Universal, is considering a horror-themed channel. A nice idea, but it still wouldn't fix the fact that sometimes there is little "scifi" on the SciFi Channel. However, they're apparently successful - admittedly due in large part to Stargate - so don't expect them to change unless the ratings really tank for the other stuff.

Shipperahoy
August 26th, 2004, 08:23 AM
MST3K? :S

Mystery Science Theatre 3000

Larry
August 26th, 2004, 09:55 AM
I'll throw in my $.02. Of course we're not ever going to agree on which Sci Fi shows that should be programed, I do agree though, that they need to loose the horror stuff. I guess everybody has to get in on the reality tv act, and I can live with them trying their hand at it even though it's not my cup of tea. If they blended four or five original series' with the rest being made up of the really good old sci-fi shows and movies, most of us would be happy.

LordAnubis
August 26th, 2004, 12:05 PM
I don't get the SciFi channel (wrong country) but I can't help thinking that complaining about the commercials approaches nitpicking. It's not really as if they are going to turn down advertisers because they don't have 'fun enough' ads. That would be very stupid.

Also, judging from the ratings, the SciFi channel is doing pretty well. In fact about as well as it has ever done. You may not like it, but apparently this is what generates the best ratings. Go figure.

And speaking as someone who lives in a country where almost no SciFi shows are shown on TV except Star Trek; be glad you have what you have.
Um, since you've never seen the channel, or it's awful programs, you really aren't in a good place to make that sort of commentary. I'm sure living in Iceland is simply wonderful (rolls eyes), and I'm sure it sucks not to have sci-fi on television, but that's not the point. In fact, your comments are not irrelevant, but support my argument. Why?

First, if a channel exists for the sole purpose of playing sci-fi movies/shows, then it should do so. I mean, it's called the Sci-fi channel, not the "fantasy" or "horror" or "animals gone bad" or "marathon lame old show channel". If you're gonna call it the Sci-fi channel, then PLAY SCI-FI!!!!!

Very little of what they play is actual sci-fi. Yeah, I know a movie/program can be both sci-fi and horror (like "Alien"), or sci-fi/mythology/religious ("Fifth Element"), but the movie should be primarily sci-fi to be on the channel.

I'm not being nitpicky or whiny, I'm making valid points. This channel is not living up to its name and the only reason why its ratings are so high now is BECAUSE of Stargate and Atlantis. If you took those two shows off Sci-fi, and put them back on Showtime, I think the sci-fi channel would shrivel up and die within a year or so, UNLESS they changed their format/programming.

We don't need movies all the time, but some good ones would be nice. There are hundreds of old sci-fi shows from the US, Canada, Australia, and Europe that they could play. I mentioned a bunch before, but there are many more. Man, I'd love to see some of those old shows again.

I think Sci-fi should change. I think they should listen to their viewers and get some of these old shows on.

Oh, about the commercials...yeah, you're right...they shouldn't turn down advertisers, but commercials are usually geared or aimed at a particular demographic. Most of the people who watch Stargate for example, are younger, like around 12-35 -- maybe up to 40. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, and I'm sure there are old people 35+ who watch the show, but for the most part, most of the people who watch Stargate, I'm guessing, are under 40 or under 35. Probably most of us are under 30. What do they advertise though?

They have about 4 commericials per show about Enzyte, which is like some kinda impotence drug. I'm 19, so if anything, I need somthing that keeps it down, not up! Why advertise this crap when you know most of the ppl watching are younger and don't have this problem? And then life insurance commercials. And mortgage commercials. They never advertise about products that younger ppl might be interested in or something. If you watch other networks, you'll see that the commercials are aimed and targeted toward a particular demographic of people, but not the sci-fi, since they don't care.

They also have these lil spots that they produce that are sci-fi like. Like one where this old martial arts guy is standing there and this bird lands on his bald head, but his head opens up like the mouth of some dragon creature and then swallows the bird up and closes up back to a bald asian guy's head. Well, it was cool....THREE YEARS ago. Today, it's old and used. Make a new one!

Or there's another where this martial arts guy does all these Matrix like moves and doges throwing stars and knives or something in slow motion. Ya, it was cool back in the day, but not now. Get some new ones.

FieryHands
August 26th, 2004, 03:19 PM
I watched a few episodes of Dark Shadows, i wasn't too interested, but probably because i was watching the very old ones in b/w, which took forever for something to happen.

Are you sure? Scare Tactics wasn't cancelled after its first season, i'm not too sure about that Tremors Series though, which recently got replaced by Andromeda :rolleyes:.

I said *usually* but that isn't always the case. Tremors has been cancelled (1), The Chronicle is dead (1), Black Scorpion (thankly 1), First Wave is dead (3), Invisible Man is dead (2), Welcome to Paradox (1)...

I don't follow the reality shows, but it does suck that somehow Scare Tactics will be back.

LordAnubis
August 26th, 2004, 03:31 PM
I said *usually* but that isn't always the case. Tremors has been cancelled (1), The Chronicle is dead (1), Black Scorpion (thankly 1), First Wave is dead (3), Invisible Man is dead (2), Welcome to Paradox (1)...

I don't follow the reality shows, but it does suck that somehow Scare Tactics will be back.
Exactly...almost EVERY series that Sci-fi has created itself has failed and been cancelled. Stargate was created on Shotime, so maybe that's why it has survived. In order to move to Sci-fi, the powers that be made it clear that they didn't want any involvement from Sci-fi staff; they wanted exclusive control like they had on sho-time. Sci-fi agreed in order to get the prized Stargate show on their severely failing network. Even back in 2001 or 2002, when it moved over to sci-fi, the network was in dire straights. The ONLY reason why the network is even still in exisence is because of stargate. This means that Stargate producers,writers, and directors have a LOT of power over there. If Sci-fi starts interfering, the Stargate people can always say "okay, bye...we'll go back to shotime or move over to another network and you'll die without us." so the sci-fi chan doesnt interfere and that's the only reason the relationship between the two works.

If not for Stargate, what would Sci-fi have? A few Farscape and miscellaneous successful mini-series? Also, I'm betting on Battlestar Gallactica's demise in january; it won't last since it's gonna be under the exclusive control of the morons at the sci-fi channel. It won't be like stargate where it's under its own power.

Elwe Singollo
August 26th, 2004, 04:16 PM
If Sci-fi starts interfering, the Stargate people can always say "okay, bye...we'll go back to shotime or move over to another network and you'll die without us." so the sci-fi chan doesnt interfere and that's the only reason the relationship between the two works.
power.Actually, Showtime is the network that decided not to renew Stargate for its 6th season, and Scifi are the ones who saved SG from being forever cancelled, so i don't think the people at Stargate can say that, but maybe another network would work. The thing i don't get with what your saying Lord Anubis, the writer or producer or whatever said that they had a S5 thought out already, but had to stick it in a 4 hour miniseries (i think it was 4?). If scifi was making them do stuff which ended up making them being cancelled, why bother making a whole season storyline/arc/etc when they would know they would be told what to do.

FieryHands
August 26th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars is not produced by Scifi--a third party stepped in and gave Henson the financial backing. Scifi has the rights to air it. That's it.

LordAnubis
August 26th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Actually, Showtime is the network that decided not to renew Stargate for its 6th season, and Scifi are the ones who saved SG from being forever cancelled, so i don't think the people at Stargate can say that, but maybe another network would work. The thing i don't get with what your saying Lord Anubis, the writer or producer or whatever said that they had a S5 thought out already, but had to stick it in a 4 hour miniseries (i think it was 4?). If scifi was making them do stuff which ended up making them being cancelled, why bother making a whole season storyline/arc/etc when they would know they would be told what to do.
Nope, that's not what I said dude, what I said was, the ONLY good thing the Sci-fi chan has done is to get Stargate and then leave it alone. What I mean is, Show-time was going to cancel them, but up to that point, showtime left Stargate alone; they let them run their show as they saw fit. When Stargate came over to Sci-fi, based on what I read, the creators and writers were afraid that Sci-fi would do to Stargate what it had done to many other shows: destroy it. So, they fought to keep their autonomy and prevent Sci-fi from ruining the show.

Sci-fi was so glad to have a winning show on its line-up, that it left Stargate alone and it continued to do well. My point was, just imagine if the sci-fi channel powers meddled and took control, there would probably be no stargate today. Sci-fi never took control, just let them go free and poured more money at them, which was the best thing they could have done.

Sooooo, today, Stargate is doing well, Atlantis exists, but if not for those two shows, where would sci-fi be? Crossing over with John Edwards maybe!

TechnoBoY
August 26th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars is not produced by Scifi--a third party stepped in and gave Henson the financial backing. Scifi has the rights to air it. That's it.

Right. Another thing I dont like about them, they are sneaky. When they announced the mini I was really pissed off about it. They made it seem like they were the ones that decided to renew it when it wasnt them at all. They are just buying the rights to show it.

They are not really acting professional. When they cancelled Farscape they told the people only a few days before shooting ended. After of course they said it would come back for another year. I just found this out but they did almost the same thing to The Chronicle, even worse. They didnt tell the people their show wasnt coming back until they were about to start preproduction on their next season! Was hoping when NBC bought them out they would have new administration but they kept everyone.

I think Scifi should try to be like Space up there in Canada. I look at their site and they have so many scifi shows!

I agree LordAnubis, without SG1 Scifi would be dead. All their original shows they cancelled. They were lucky they got SG1. You cant have a network based on one night tv shows and miniseries. Sure you would get high viewers for then, but then what? You have no show to keep them watching the channel.

Elwe Singollo
August 26th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Nope, that's not what I said dude, what I said was, the ONLY good thing the Sci-fi chan has done is to get Stargate and then leave it alone. What I mean is, Show-time was going to cancel them, but up to that point, showtime left Stargate alone; they let them run their show as they saw fit. When Stargate came over to Sci-fi, based on what I read, the creators and writers were afraid that Sci-fi would do to Stargate what it had done to many other shows: destroy it. So, they fought to keep their autonomy and prevent Sci-fi from ruining the show.

Sci-fi was so glad to have a winning show on its line-up, that it left Stargate alone and it continued to do well. My point was, just imagine if the sci-fi channel powers meddled and took control, there would probably be no stargate today. Sci-fi never took control, just let them go free and poured more money at them, which was the best thing they could have done.

Sooooo, today, Stargate is doing well, Atlantis exists, but if not for those two shows, where would sci-fi be? Crossing over with John Edwards maybe!Oo- i think i understand now... Maybe... Haha... So are you saying it wasn't good that sci-fi decided to air the four seasons of Farscape in the first place, snice you did say, "...what I said was, the ONLY good thing the Sci-fi chan has done is to get Stargate and then leave it alone." Ok, maybe i'm twisting your words, but me wanna make sure.

Elwe Singollo
August 26th, 2004, 06:20 PM
I agree LordAnubis, without SG1 Scifi would be dead. All their original shows they cancelled. They were lucky they got SG1. You cant have a network based on one night tv shows and miniseries. Sure you would get high viewers for then, but then what? You have no show to keep them watching the channel.Wouldn't it suck though if scifi hadn't picked up SG1? I don't think any network would have picked our beloved show up back when it was dropped by Showtime, back in S5, although we will never know, or probably will never know, i think i rather thank Scifi for picking the SG in case that no other network would, instead of saying their network sucks, although i do think some of their original programming is something i wouldn't watch all the time.

Major Fischer
August 26th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Wouldn't it suck though if scifi hadn't picked up SG1? I don't think any network would have picked our beloved show up back when it was dropped by Showtime, back in S5, although we will never know, or probably will never know, i think i rather thank Scifi for picking the SG in case that no other network would, instead of saying their network sucks, although i do think some of their original programming is something i wouldn't watch all the time.

Those were exactly the thoughts i was having. Not that I wouldn't like some of their original programming to be more to my taste, or for them to air things I like more, but I don't expect much from a basic cable station.

LordAnubis
August 26th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Oo- i think i understand now... Maybe... Haha... So are you saying it wasn't good that sci-fi decided to air the four seasons of Farscape in the first place, snice you did say, "...what I said was, the ONLY good thing the Sci-fi chan has done is to get Stargate and then leave it alone." Ok, maybe i'm twisting your words, but me wanna make sure.
To be honest, I never got into Farscape much, but from the few episodes that I did see, it seemed pretty cool -- much better than babylon 5 and Earth: the final conflict. So, I dunno...I just think the channel sucks overall, they have a lot of potential, but fail to use it and that's why they suck :\

Gorthaur
August 26th, 2004, 06:59 PM
I don't watch sifi execpt for sifi a few times a week mst3k was graet and i would watch it if it was still on. and as for stargate mondays it is wast to watch becuas egthey play half of season one them half of season 2 and the other half of 1 and start over again. they'v been playing saseon 1-2 for almost a year.

Major Fischer
August 26th, 2004, 07:05 PM
I don't watch sifi execpt for sifi a few times a week mst3k was graet and i would watch it if it was still on. and as for stargate mondays it is wast to watch becuas egthey play half of season one them half of season 2 and the other half of 1 and start over again. they'v been playing saseon 1-2 for almost a year.

Just to point out... Stargate Monday is going in episode order, and is in the middle of season 4 right now...

TechnoBoY
August 26th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Wouldn't it suck though if scifi hadn't picked up SG1? I don't think any network would have picked our beloved show up back when it was dropped by Showtime, back in S5, although we will never know, or probably will never know, i think i rather thank Scifi for picking the SG in case that no other network would, instead of saying their network sucks, although i do think some of their original programming is something i wouldn't watch all the time.

Yeah, you know, it would suck if nobody picked them up. Lucky that Scifi did. That still doesnt make it a good channel. Like I said before, Stargate is keeping the channel alive.

Oo- i think i understand now... Maybe... Haha... So are you saying it wasn't good that sci-fi decided to air the four seasons of Farscape in the first place, snice you did say, "...what I said was, the ONLY good thing the Sci-fi chan has done is to get Stargate and then leave it alone." Ok, maybe i'm twisting your words, but me wanna make sure.

I think you are taking what he says too literally. :rolleyes:

MartoufMarty
August 26th, 2004, 09:19 PM
(i'm replying to the first post, but when quoting it, it was really long so... here we are)

hey, don't forget they had the Invisible Man. i loved that show. they ended it too soon, and in the worst possible way. i hated how they ended it....

FieryHands
August 26th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Apparently scifi has, because there appears to be no scifi.com page for it, but First Wave's still exists. What was up with the adding busty redheads to casts anyway?

LordAnubis
August 26th, 2004, 10:11 PM
(i'm replying to the first post, but when quoting it, it was really long so... here we are)

hey, don't forget they had the Invisible Man. i loved that show. they ended it too soon, and in the worst possible way. i hated how they ended it....
They have a good thing and let it die because of their inability to see that they have a good thing. They simply just dont get it. I never saw Invisible Man, but it would be like Farscape, they let a good thing slip by.

Ancient 1
August 27th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Bring back FarScape, B5, SAAB, Firefly... I could go on :)
While all those sound good, we'll probably get something crappy like Beauty and the Beast. Ugh!

Elwe Singollo
August 27th, 2004, 04:44 AM
At least people are giving sci-fi shows (or some that is) a second chance with big screen movies or a mini-series, ok maybe only 2 that i know of, Firefly(Serenity), and Farscape(The PK Wars), although i may not know whats going on when i watch Farscape miniS, i think i'll still enjoy it :)

LoneStar1836
August 27th, 2004, 11:40 PM

Don't dis on Raptor Island! That was a high quality, engaging movie. :rolleyes: Lorenzo Lamas is the man. He should be the 4th member of SG-1 with skills like that. The Goa'uld wouldn't stand a chance. :D I was cheering for the raptors for what bits and pieces I watched and could actually see between all the hysterical laughing because a blind person could have handled a gun better than all those people combined.

SciFi's quality is few and far between, as far as original programming goes. I loved Taken, and their Dune movies were not too bad. Most of the other junk is just that - junk. Farscape excluded. I don't consider SG-1 and SGA originally theirs. They just saw a good thing and latched on. And how they ever roped Bruce Boxlietner into doing Snakehead Terror, I'll never know. The best part of the movie was Chevron Guy.

Some of the all day marathons are good if they would play episodes in order and not completely at random. Especially when they show only one part of a two part episode.

Yeah, I wish the all day marathons were shown in order. If they are not going to show the show in a regular time slot, the least they could do would be to air them in order when they do so I can pick up where they left off the month before or however long they go in between showings. And toss in more of a variety. When was the last time they showed Space: Above and Beyond? I wish they would run that through from start to finish, even if it were in the middle of the night like they are currently doing with Farscape.

I forgot about Invisible Man. I liked that show, too. Forgot how it ended, though.
(I guess that makes two original serial programs to their credit that were worth the money. Meh on First Wave. Never really watched it from start to finish. Just episodes here and there. It was okay.)

I guess I can't hate on SciFi that much though because they did divvy out the money to keep Stargate going, but it still doesn't quite make up for screwing Farscape out of its last season, and they do air other shows that otherwise would have vanished to that big TV in the sky where old series go to die until they are reborn on DVD.

LordAnubis
August 30th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Don't dis on Raptor Island! That was a high quality, engaging movie. :rolleyes: Lorenzo Lamas is the man. He should be the 4th member of SG-1 with skills like that. The Goa'uld wouldn't stand a chance. :D I was cheering for the raptors for what bits and pieces I watched and could actually see between all the hysterical laughing because a blind person could have handled a gun better than all those people combined.

SciFi's quality is few and far between, as far as original programming goes. I loved Taken, and their Dune movies were not too bad. Most of the other junk is just that - junk. Farscape excluded. I don't consider SG-1 and SGA originally theirs. They just saw a good thing and latched on. And how they ever roped Bruce Boxlietner into doing Snakehead Terror, I'll never know. The best part of the movie was Chevron Guy.

Yeah, I wish the all day marathons were shown in order. If they are not going to show the show in a regular time slot, the least they could do would be to air them in order when they do so I can pick up where they left off the month before or however long they go in between showings. And toss in more of a variety. When was the last time they showed Space: Above and Beyond? I wish they would run that through from start to finish, even if it were in the middle of the night like they are currently doing with Farscape.

I forgot about Invisible Man. I liked that show, too. Forgot how it ended, though.
(I guess that makes two original serial programs to their credit that were worth the money. Meh on First Wave. Never really watched it from start to finish. Just episodes here and there. It was okay.)

I guess I can't hate on SciFi that much though because they did divvy out the money to keep Stargate going, but it still doesn't quite make up for screwing Farscape out of its last season, and they do air other shows that otherwise would have vanished to that big TV in the sky where old series go to die until they are reborn on DVD.
Dude, I forgot about Space Above and Beyond. That show was great. I wish it was still on or at least in reruns. It's like we'll never know what happened. Remember the Aliens, the Chigs? They were cool. We should start a thread about it.

Bast
August 30th, 2004, 04:23 PM
The thing with Space on canadian tv is that it will even bring back old shows that didnt have a chance like Harsh realm probaily because it is on the cheap but somtimes the shows can become a bigger hit in reruns then they were as a new release, kind of like Startrek TOS it did badly and struggled but for some reason since startrek was way ahead of its time in things like tolerance and gender equality plus the fact it was cool,sexy,different and gave a positive vision of the future in hard times during the cold war.The 70's were more receptive to startrek and it did better then in the bigoted or messed up 60's it launched in ,Also apollo 11 landed on the moon and people were now excited about the future and space exploration. What I am trying to say is that just because a tv show doesnt get enough viewers right away doesnt mean it isnt good , Some shows came back from cancelation because it was canceld to fast it was starting to pick up steam and they cut it off to soon.

I liked First Wave and the space channel still shows it on the air once or twice a week,My interest in first wave was simular to the X-files. I didnt like Stargate SG1 at first untill it finally came on Space and since I saw it from the begining also the fact I had heard alot about Richard Dean Anderson (Macgyver) so I gave it a second chance then I got so hooked I didnt watch the boring cliche Startrek Enterprise anymore.

Its hard for a channel to be all one thing, You could oversaturate even with multiple shows in the same genre,what Space has done is that its both Fantasy and Sci fi meaning you could have startrek ,Stargate SG1, Buffy and Angel ect... They give room for a bigger audience since not everyone likes Sci fi but if they tossed in the Young and the restless **** of that nature id be angry. Space shows old Sci fi B movies that are even black and white other less known works from the 70's and 80's, They also show some horror but more like Aliens and predator or some fantasy like The Lost boys and Super hero movies ect... Ocasionaly they do show unrelated junk but its pretty minor you could live with it.

SexyLadyBoy
August 30th, 2004, 07:06 PM
I have to agree 100% that Scifi is not living up to its potential.

I was an enormous fan of Farscape and I was devastated with they cancelled that series. They absolutley broke my heart. I'll never forgive them for that...

Though they did, as others have mentioned, save SG-1 from an early demise and I am extremely grateful for that.

Bu they show so many stupidstupidstupid shows while they cancel good series and let other good shows rot.

Why aren't they showing Babylon 5? I used to love watching the reruns on SciFi...then it disappeared.

Perhaps they no longer have the rights, I don't know.

But SciFi could do so many more cool and interesting things if they just had the vision to conceive it.

LoneStar1836
August 31st, 2004, 12:13 AM
Dude, I forgot about Space Above and Beyond. That show was great. I wish it was still on or at least in reruns. It's like we'll never know what happened. Remember the Aliens, the Chigs? They were cool. We should start a thread about it.I confess that I don’t think I watched it when it first aired on FOX. Maybe I saw an episode or two. I can’t remember, but I happened to catch it on SciFi during one of those all day marathons and really got into it. The thing is they would never show all episodes in order and seemed to skip around or I thought they did, but since the show only lasted one season maybe I missed a marathon day or something. Anyway my point is I would really like to see the show in the correct order again to refresh my memory. So to stay on topic, I hate SciFi because apparently they no longer have this show or at least according to the current shows they have listed (I just went and looked), it is gone from their programming. Probably never to be seen again. What a shame. Yeah, I remember the Chigs being the enemy and sort of have a memory of what they looked and acted like. I like the thread idea and read it, but I probably can't contribute too much because like I said I have limited memory of the show. The thing that sticks out most is Col. McQueen and the actor who played him. I’ve seen him in other stuff and associate him with S:AaB. Guess I should continue this over on the new thread.

The thing with Space on canadian tv is that it will even bring back old shows that didnt have a chance like Harsh realmThat’s another one I wish SciFi in the U.S. would pick up and show. I did watch what little they did show on FOX before they axed it. I think I saw a commercial recently that they where releasing it on DVD with the unaired episodes. That doesn't do me any good because I'm probably one of the last people on Earth who doesn't own a DVD player and the PS2 doesn't count because it's my brother's and he didn't pay extra for the remote. I watched it because it was created by Chris Carter (loved The X-Files), and I remembered Scott Bairstow in the short lived tv spin-off “Lonesome Dove: The Outlaw Years” and other things he had done.

While I’m on a theme of shows SciFi ought to show. I wish they or somebody like cartoon network would pick up and show the 1999 animated series "Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles". I happened upon this one morning on the WB channel and really liked it. Thing is I only got to see 4 or 5 episodes and it was gone. I know it was an animated series, but it wasn’t cartoon like and seemed geared to older viewers.

Why aren't they showing Babylon 5? I used to love watching the reruns on SciFi...then it disappeared.

Perhaps they no longer have the rights, I don't know.I think they have eliminated it or at least for the time being from their programming. I don’t see it on their listing of shows. I loved this show, too. Hadn’t watched it in a while because I had watched the series through from start to finish about five or six times after I finally discovered how good it was during like season 3 or 4. Don’t remember which. Plus, SciFi had it on in the morning, and I either had to go to work or didn’t feel like getting up to watch. Back when TNT got it, they would show the repeats in the afternoons so I got caught up on all the back story to the mythology in the show and watched it through several times.

Bast
August 31st, 2004, 12:46 AM
Harsh Realm had some pretty amazing episodes and ideas that even other Sci fi shows never thought of, For that it had some originality ,Harsh Realm you could argue was a rip off of the Matrix or did the Matrix rip it?But still not quite the same as the matrix besides the idea of a artificial world that seemed almost real.

If a good show like Angel could be axed before its time anything is possible , Its scary if you realize some of these studios are run by boneheads who are stuck into their pappers and statistics who never actually watch the shows their canceling.

As for enzyte comercials they are annoying as hell , They want it to be annoying thats how they get attention.I agree the networks are being dumb advertising products for middle aged men on a channel that is primarily made up by youths who probaily dont have sexual disfunction like their dads more then likely its the opposite its up too high. I bet the channel doesnt give a **** whats being advertised as long as the Bling Bling roles in.

Whats more sickening Enzyte advertised on childrens networks! Ive seen it atleast once. Some day you will be abled to have television that will allow you to block certain advertisements when they appear, You will see a black screen with a timer on it telling you when that unwanted ad will be finnished , You could have the option of adding fancy graphics and FX on the screen with selected music as you wait.

tina_als_girl
September 3rd, 2004, 07:32 PM
All the complaints listed in this thread are exactly the reason I can't wait for the new Quantum Leap movie/series to start filming next year. At least we'll have another new and original idea other than Stargate that has a very good chance of lasting a long while on Sci-Fi.

Joy

Elwe Singollo
September 4th, 2004, 12:48 AM
I made my decision, the only reason why i would watch Sci-fi was because of SG, and maybe some movies they air, not all, because most are just... yah, not interesting to me... I do hope though Sci-fi gets better, but not going opinion-wise, Scifi is doing quite well with 2 shows boosting scifi :)

vinzchlortho
March 20th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I thought I would revive this thread because of the unending throng of [email protected] movies spewed out by the sci-fi channel and the showing of unrelated-to-science-fiction features like the Flintsones they like to show. How can anyone that produces shows like Stargate and Atlantis expect anyone to enjoy this? However I did like Riverworld.

Ancient 1
March 22nd, 2005, 04:39 PM
I thought I would revive this thread because of the unending throng of [email protected] movies spewed out by the sci-fi channel and the showing of unrelated-to-science-fiction features like the Flintsones they like to show. How can anyone that produces shows like Stargate and Atlantis expect anyone to enjoy this? However I did like Riverworld.
This one coming Saturday @ 9pm with Bruce Campbell looks like it may have some entertainment value...damn! Can't recall the name....

*shoots self in head with finger*

Bast
March 22nd, 2005, 08:59 PM
The new quantum leap is a hoax according to Bakula in a interview at startrek.com

WraithKing
March 22nd, 2005, 09:23 PM
The new quantum leap is a hoax according to Bakula in a interview at startrek.com

That sucks. I was really looking forward to a good conclusion to Quantum Leap, rather than the super lame ending they gave us :mad:

Anyways, I agree with everything you said Lord Anubis, except about the New BSG. I think this series has some massive potential. I was never a fan of the original, don't know if that would have an effect on me. But I think it's an excellent show that deserves at least a few seasons.

Ancient 1
March 22nd, 2005, 10:04 PM
That sounds like the typical knee-jerk reaction of any celebrity who wasn't asked to participate in a show that he or she starred in. Sour grapes of wrath! :p

KatG
March 23rd, 2005, 10:22 AM
I am quite fond of the Friday night line up now, with SG-1/Atlantis/BSG. Makes for a pretty good evenings entertainment. And aren't they supposed to start up "The 4400" soon.

They usually manage to do a pretty good job on the mini-series. Taken was fabulous and Dune/Children of Dune was very good too.

Now if they would just take the money they're spending on the SciFi Original movies and spend it on older B scifi classics and on picking up scifi series that other networks don't give a chance, it would be great.

Lexx
March 23rd, 2005, 10:28 AM
In response to LordAnubis' first post: I completely agree. Well, except for Mad, Mad House and Lexx. I thought Mad, Mad House was interesting and I loved Lexx (obviously :p ). But everything else you said is spot on. I remember a couple years ago when Sci-Fi played cool things. If it wasn't for the Sci-Fi channel, I never would've seen Babylon 5. But then they stopped doing actual "Sci-Fi" and switched to Fantasy. Luckily, the guy that ordered the switch isn't there any more and it appears that they're doing more "Sci-Fi" things, but the damage was still done *I'm looking at you cancellation of Farscape*.

Ancient 1
March 24th, 2005, 08:45 AM
This one coming Saturday @ 9pm with Bruce Campbell looks like it may have some entertainment value...damn! Can't recall the name....

*shoots self in head with finger*
*2 days later...*

"Alien Apocalypse"

LordAnubis
March 24th, 2005, 09:46 AM
In response to LordAnubis' first post: I completely agree. Well, except for Mad, Mad House and Lexx. I thought Mad, Mad House was interesting and I loved Lexx (obviously :p ). But everything else you said is spot on. I remember a couple years ago when Sci-Fi played cool things. If it wasn't for the Sci-Fi channel, I never would've seen Babylon 5. But then they stopped doing actual "Sci-Fi" and switched to Fantasy. Luckily, the guy that ordered the switch isn't there any more and it appears that they're doing more "Sci-Fi" things, but the damage was still done *I'm looking at you cancellation of Farscape*.
I wonder why I got red repped for this post? I got two reds for this recently. I was just telling the truth, or at best, stating my opinion.

FoolishPleasure
March 24th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I "think" the USA Network bought Sci-Fi about 2-3 years ago. That seems to be about the time the programming changed.

I too discovered Babylon 5 on Sci Fi (long ago) - for which I will be forever grateful. And thanks to them I was able to catch up on all the SG1 episodes. However, their daily "block" programming is awful. I was home with a sick kid recently and it was all-day "Sliders". Now, I don't mind "Sliders", but not all day.

Their "Sci-Fi Original" movies are awful. I actually watched Snakehead Terror. . and even Larva. *shudder* ..hate to admit that - but it was pure boredom. I only made it through 30 minutes of "Mansquito". There are numerous and excellent oldie moldie sci-fi movies that could be shown on this channel that wouldn't cost a fortune. I'm not sure why someone doesn't investigate older films, or series. I understand there are copyright and distribution issues but I bet a lot of good stuff is just sitting around on shelves. And don't get me started on their skanky (to borrow one of Astronomicalchick's fav words) commercials. :rolleyes:

The only thing I really enjoy on Sci Fi these days is SG1, SGA and BSG. Yeah, I like the new BSG - didn't at first, but it has grown on me. My son really likes the "Ripleys' Believe it. . " show. . but he is 12, and I think that is the audience they are reaching for anyway. ;)

TechnoWraith
March 24th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Okay, my posts are not always the most popular around here, hehe, but it occurred to me today...well, it's occurred to me many times in the past over the last few years, but today, it hit me strong: the Sci-fi channel needs to hire fresh staff to revive the channel before it becomes an even bigger piece of reeking poo.

When I was in elementary school and middle school, the sci-fi channel was the coolest channel on cable. I mean, I wasn't around back in the 70s and 80s when shows like Buck Rogers, Battlestar Gallactica, V, and others were on. I never saw them until they played on the sci-fi chan. I remember coming home from school and watching buck rogers followed by battlestar gallactica and then twilight zone and then ST:TOS. I mean, they played GOOD shows. They didn't overplay them. They broke them up and played cool shows on the weekends and evenings. During the day, they played old movies or other sci-fi series like Lost in Space or some weird ones from teh 60s and 70s that i never heard of like Land of Giants and some underwater one and one about witches and one about vampires.

It was really cool to see those old shows and learn about them.

What do we have now? Let's see, ALL day MOnday, they play some crap called "roar" and all day Wednesday they play SLIDERS all day, which is cool, but they play the SAME episodes over and over! It's like they only own the rights to a few episodes! waht the hell!

Even Stargate Mondays: They have played Jolinar's memories, nemesis, and other episodes to death, but never play season 3, 4, or 6!

Do I even have to mention their "original" movies? You know, things like:

- Tripping the Rift ( a piece of crap)
- Scare tactics (ya, this scares me)
- Crossing Over with John Edwards ("I'm sensing that someone in this room has lost a loved one or had diarrhea")
- Boa vs. Python (Dr. McKay was actually in that!)
- Snakehead Terror
- Lexx

They create Farscape, which wasn't half bad, and what do they do but cancel it? To replace it with Mad, Mad, Mad House or Tripping the Rift?

Dude, whoever is the program director for Sci-fi needs to be fired in bad way.

1) Enzyte commercials for old guys who can't pop wood (most of us are teens/20s/30s and have no prob with this!!!)
AND...if they have an original movie or series thingy, they play a commerical for it EVERY commerical spot! EVERY commercial spot. I hate it!

If i ran sci-fi, this is what I would do:

1) stop making lame movies and series
2) stop the all-day crap; play different shows at different times, not 20 start treks in a row
3) invest into buying the rights for old and newer sci-fi series: planet of the apes, space 1999, b-star gallactica, buck rogers, sliders, V, V: The Final Battle, etc. Start playing these shows at night and on the weekends, or in the morning before classes.
4) I would also play some cool movies on the weekends and on thursday nights and stuff. I loved "The Nutty Professor" with Eddie Murphy, cuz it was funnier than hell, but is it really sci-fi material? HELL NO!

They could play ALien, Aliens, Alien Resurrection, Predator, Body Snatchers, Planet of the Apes, Robocop, Terminator, whatever..but Sci-fi movies.

Anway, Sci-fi channel, you really need to do some self examination, because right now, you make me freakin' sick!

Does anyone else agree with me on this, or am I wrong YET AGAIN :)

What do you guys think?

Jared/Lord Anubis :eek:

I'll to definitely agree on those issues.

But one thing i will say is that those "SciFi Original" movies really need to be... umm... original?

Let me explain:

Pythons. Pythons 2. Boa. Boa Vs. Pythons. [Insert Giant-Snake-That-Needs-To-Killed-Movie name here]. How many freaking times are these guys gonna make a movie about a Giant-Snake-That-Needs-To-Be-Killed? Personally, it got pretty old real quick after the second Giant-Snake-that-Needs-To-Be-Killed movie came out. Now it seems that SciFi makes more Giant-Snakes-That-Need-To-Be-Killed movies than there are cockroaches on this planet!
Granted, there's some story behind each movie, but damn, they're all the freaking same stories.

Anyhoo... SciFi seems to be in need of some serious managerial re-arrangement for the better. And let's hope it happens before it's too late.

in circles
March 24th, 2005, 04:38 PM
More MST3K would be pretty awesome.

dude22
March 24th, 2005, 05:11 PM
GOOD:
SG1
SGA
New BSG
Cube
Farscape
Farscape Peacekeeper Wars

BAD:
Everything else.

All their movies suck. Except CUBE, and the stargate movie. Other than that...everything else just sucks.

i dont realy know if raptor island was a jp rip off, but ethier way it sucked(PmF)

i can tell the basic plot of every scifi original movie

people are being attacked by a:dinosaur(s), alien(s), disease(s), mutent(s), giant bug(s) or a stupid, possesd baby toy(Puppetmastervs.evil toys) people die, and the aggressor(s) is blown to piecies

these are the following character slots

hero/guy(lives and gets the girl)
girl(makes out with the guy at the end)
comic relief guy(draged away screaming and dies or head lopped off)
punk/drunk/coward-freaks out runs away and is crushed, eaten,or chopped in half
snob-impaled, eaten or somother horrible death
black guy-more possiblities then their are stars to die
religous guy-eaten or any other horribe, and gory death

and they find a way to kill the creatue, it fails, somone dies and they just blow it up and the two survivers fall in love and make out, how original
the only movie to sorda break the mold was deep blue sea=a black guy lives and the girl dies= THANK YOU!

TechnoWraith
March 24th, 2005, 05:27 PM
More MST3K would be pretty awesome.

Dumb question: What's MST3K?

Ragnarok13
March 24th, 2005, 05:33 PM
i belive it is Movie Science Theatre3000

TechnoWraith
March 24th, 2005, 06:47 PM
I remember now: Mystery science Theater 3000 or something like that.

in circles
March 24th, 2005, 07:39 PM
I remember now: Mystery science Theater 3000 or something like that.
That's the one.

puddlejumper747
March 24th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Hey Jared -- Yes!!! I completely agree with your position here. :)
They really do play so much junk on the Sci-Fi channel now. It's horrible. I really only watch it on Fridays for Stargate SG-1/Atlantis now. Nothing else I can find on there during my free time is worth my free time. :(

AND...if they have an original movie or series thingy, they play a commerical for it EVERY commerical spot! EVERY commercial spot. I hate it!I think you forgot the Bowflex commercials. ;) And all those creepy/freaky/random Sci-Fi Channel promos. :p

Xzyl
March 24th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I "think" the USA Network bought Sci-Fi about 2-3 years ago. That seems to be about the time the programming changed.

USA Network has always been the parent company to Sci-Fi Channel. 2-3 years ago was about when USA Network was sold from Showtime/The Movie Channel (Parent Paramount) to NBC/Universal. Also about the same time Sci-Fi channel became Universal's dumping ground.

FoolishPleasure
March 25th, 2005, 04:48 AM
USA Network has always been the parent company to Sci-Fi Channel. 2-3 years ago was about when USA Network was sold from Showtime/The Movie Channel (Parent Paramount) to NBC/Universal. Also about the same time Sci-Fi channel became Universal's dumping ground.
Ah, that's what happened. I knew something was sold to someone and that's when programming seemed to change.

Thanks for the info. ;)

dude22
March 25th, 2005, 08:30 AM
the only things i watch on sci-fi any more are stargate(obviously :rolleyes: ) and the star trek (w/ my pop :cool: ) and Twighlight zone marathons :D

Unas
March 25th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Didnt scifi show Braveheart once? THAT definately has nothing to do with either scifi or fantasy. Someone must have mistaken it for Highlander. :p

Scifi original movies are really horrible. SG1 is having all these problems with staging offworld episodes and scifi blows its money on bad movies. I believe the only good movie with "Versus" in the title was "Kramer Versus Kramer".

Scifi should stock its saturday night lineup with new shows. Market demographics show that the best time to show scifi is on friday and saturday nights. They are only taking advantage of half of their potential. :S

SLASeth
March 25th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Definatly dump the original movies. The original movies can't be bringing in ratings. They need to just run existing movies when they want to go that way.

I don't think they can afford to do many original shows. SG1, SGA and Battlestar Galactica are probably thinning their budget pretty well. But seriously, if they concentrated on shows people grew up watching (or are too young to have done that and want to watch now) they could easily keep their daytimes filled. Get a couple of lower budget sci-fi shows (Sci-fi does not require travel to another world) and they could be in good shape.

Heck, rerunning old sci-fi shows could fill up the days (when the audience is probably slim anyway) pretty easily. Just the 70's alone gives you the Incredible Hulk, BSG, Wonder Woman, Buck Rogers, Fantasy Island, the Six Million Dollar Man, the Bionic Woman, etc etc (and that's just off the top of my head). Get ahold of some cartoons for the mornings like Superfriends, Transformers, etc and you can pull in some of the kiddie audience before they leave for school. Heck, if you want to give the kids something more modern get Batman Beyond (or whatever that was called) the Transformers Beast stuff and things like that.

I don't think I know as much about this as they do, but it seems like some pretty bad decisions (and wastes of money) keep happening.

SLASeth
March 25th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Market demographics show that the best time to show scifi is on friday and saturday nights. They are only taking advantage of half of their potential. :S

Oh that cannot be right. That just cannot. It has to be an assumption. People think you're into Sci-fi so you don't go out Friday and Saturday. That just cannot be right.

I have three very good friends. We're all into sci-fi. Two are huge Trek fans. We go out on the weekends constantly (which ticks off two of their wives). I think that is just an assumption.

TechnoWraith
March 25th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Market demographics show that the best time to show scifi is on friday and saturday nights. They are only taking advantage of half of their potential. :S

SLASeth may be onto something here. Most people usually go out saturday night. Friday i could vouch for, but only because they air Stargate and BSG on friday, so the association of those shows with Friday may draw some people to scifi.

However, SciFi can create all the new junk they want, but if it's not quality material , they shouldn't even bother.

Lexx
March 25th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I wonder why I got red repped for this post? I got two reds for this recently. I was just telling the truth, or at best, stating my opinion.
I'd give you some green for it, but the system won't let me until I give some to someone else first. Once I do that I'll send some your way, because you really were spot-on with your post.

Ancient 1
March 26th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Is anyone going to give Alien Apocalypse a chance tonight? I'm hoping for an alien version of Army of Darkness...

vinzchlortho
March 26th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Alien Apocalypse looks like another stinker! Can you believe the fake mustache and beard on that dorky slave driver? How cheap are these people anyway?

TechnoWraith
March 26th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Well, I'll give Alien Apocalypse a try. In fairness, I usually give all sciFi originals one screening before I berate them for their cheesiness. (But if SciFi keeps up it's usual trend, this one will more likely be another bomb-out. )

vinzchlortho
March 26th, 2005, 06:52 PM
OK tell me how the movie 10.5 is sciene fiction related.(on for next week) Maybe it should be called the Sci-Fact channel.

TechnoWraith
March 26th, 2005, 07:01 PM
OK tell me how the movie 10.5 is sciene fiction related.(on for next week) Maybe it should be called the Sci-Fact channel.

10.5 is that earthquake movie. Sci-Fi is where I saw that the first time around. The first half was the better half (in my opinion). All the good stuff gets destroyed then. But in general, 10.5 was actually one of better movies Sci-Fi made.

As for how 10.5 relates to sci-fi... There is science involved in seismology, so 10.5 could be considered a valid offering for the sci-fi channel.

Ancient 1
March 26th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Regarding Alien Apocalypse: The reviews are in...

Wow...that was 2 hours of my life that I won't get back! Not even seeing Renee O'conner again (Xena) was worth that much cheese!

TechnoWraith
March 27th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Regarding Alien Apocalypse: The reviews are in...

Wow...that was 2 hours of my life that I won't get back! Not even seeing Renee O'conner again (Xena) was worth that much cheese!

I actually missed the first 45 minutes, and didn't bother to watch much of the remainder. (most likely because i missed the first half, so none of it made real sense at all.) But i did manage to see wasn't really up to par with keeping my interest for more than say 10-15 minutes.

Sci-Fi really needs to pick up the pace in the "Originals" department before they lose all their fans.

defina91rvc
March 28th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Hey Jared -- Yes!!! I completely agree with your position here. :)
They really do play so much junk on the Sci-Fi channel now. It's horrible. I really only watch it on Fridays for Stargate SG-1/Atlantis now. Nothing else I can find on there during my free time is worth my free time. :(
I think you forgot the Bowflex commercials. ;) And all those creepy/freaky/random Sci-Fi Channel promos. :p

you also forgot the dog food commercials with pete that ONLY air on the Sci-Fi channel.

i already made a review of alien apocalypse on its thread but ill make another one here.

alien apocalypse was in my opinion one of scifi's worst movies. the story line with bruce campbell going to meet the president? I believe that was used in....THE WIZARD OF OZ! i mean come on, who couldnt forsee that the president was going to be a wimp. and the way that they picked up everybody they came acoss? the only thing missing was a pair of bright red slippers and i wouldnt be suprised if bruce slipped a pair on at the end of the show. the girl with brown hair that followed him around, worst actor i have ever seen.

Snake King--during the show a preview aired for this movie. the preview went as followed, a group of scientists stumbles something that will lead them to the basis of the fountain of youth story but giant snakes get in the way.
Now i'm very sorry but that is THE EXACT SCRIPT OF THE MOVIE ANACONDAS!!! the exact script! i mean come on did they really thik no one would notice?

AnUbIs2004
March 28th, 2005, 03:02 PM
First, it seems to me that a more appropriate title should not be the "SciFi Channel", but the "Horror Channel and Scifi when we feel like airing it".

I also agree with the OP on the way SciFi handles re-runs. More so, there are a ton of good true Science Fiction shows that have NEVER aired on the channel as far as I know. Instead they fill up most of their programming with non-scifi related material.

As for the "Original movies"? Info-mercials would be more entertaining. I can not think of one, one single movie Scifi aired that was in the least bit entertaining. And enough with this When Animals go Bad crap movies. I am sorry but I do not find giant mice entertaining, nor do I see any scifi value to it. They just make this crap to sell to smaller countries who do not have a budget to produce enough of their own films, so they import this american crap. No wonder everyone hates us Americans now, I would too if all I could get was giant man-eating llamas.

Let me say this, if anyone has ever watched the Outer Limits (90s version), then they would know that it does not take a billion dollar budget for famous actors and special effects to make an entertaining show. The problem as I see it it starts with the scripts they get for these lame animal shows. I would rather the Scifi channel just grab some guy off the street who is a scifi nut and have him right a script.

Truth be told folks, some years back I had the scifi channel on 24/7. Now, I do not even know what the #%@% is happening unless I read it here because I have become so incensed with this crap channel. Aside from Stargate and BSG (which I record for viewing later so I can skip all commercials) I do not even see the scifi channel existing. Hell, if Scifi went out of business during the SG and BSG break, I would not even notice it.

Thank you OP for giving me the chance to rant. I have wanted to get this out of my system for a long long time. Stupid #[email protected]% Scifi channel, they should just @#%@#% and *)@%@, then @(*#@. Oh yeah, %#%@ the #$%^ original shows, so #$%^# the $^#$# .......

I feel much better now :D

Ancient 1
March 28th, 2005, 07:51 PM
I actually missed the first 45 minutes, and didn't bother to watch much of the remainder. (most likely because i missed the first half, so none of it made real sense at all.) But i did manage to see wasn't really up to par with keeping my interest for more than say 10-15 minutes.

Sci-Fi really needs to pick up the pace in the "Originals" department before they lose all their fans.
The only thing you really missed was seeing Renee with all her fingers and the first head being bitten off by the bugs! No loss there. Hmm...didn't I already post this? I'm having a touch of deja vu.

gnp1
March 28th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Get ahold of some cartoons for the mornings like Superfriends, Transformers, etc and you can pull in some of the kiddie audience before they leave for school. Heck, if you want to give the kids something more modern get Batman Beyond (or whatever that was called) the Transformers Beast stuff and things like that.

you will never see Transformers (the old shows from 1984-1986?) on tv again. Cartoon network went after it and Hasbro wanted mega cash$$$$$$$$$ for it. Cartoon network played Transformers Beastwars for a week only a few years ago. I can go on about the crap shows on Cartoon network just as much as Sci-fi. The only reason i even put Sci-fi on is for its Friday night line up. Also the Godzilla movies. how can you hate on a dude in a rubber suit?

dude22
March 29th, 2005, 06:43 PM
first of all CN isnt to bad but i HATE ATOMIC BETTY and HIHI PUFFI AMI YUMI
car'net' has goten some crappy shows lately, i miss looney toons, and i kinda liked their 3D version of transformers, not their CRAPPY ANIME CRAP CRAP VERSION WITH THEIR CRAPY FIRETRUCKS AND CRAPTASTIC RACE CARS, (GOD I LOVE THIS THREAD) WHERE THEY SAVE THE DAY AND BECOME FRIENDS, IN THE 3D VERSION PEOPLE DIED!!!!! AND SHOT AT EACHOTHER!!!!!!
I ALSO LIKED REBOOT(CANCELED), COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG(APPERANTLY CANCELD) AND THAT CRAP CRAPY CRAPTASTIC MICUZI IS GETIN RID OF TOONAMI(ORIGINALLY EVERYDAY, NOW ONLY ON SATURDAYS)
AND WHAT THE [email protected]#$ (PmF) IS WITH "HIHI PUFFI AMI YUMI???!!!???!!!???(THANK YOU LORDANUBIS!!!) THEY BARLEY SPEEK ENGLISH (THE REAL PEOPLE) AND CARTOONNETWORK IS PRAISING EM LIKE THEIR QUEENS!

ps what a surprise, in alien apocalypse the black guy got his head bit off, WHAT A SUPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHO WOULDA THOUGHT???????????

OK NOW I FEel better:) sorry if i said anything inappropriate :D

Ancient 1
March 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM
ps what a surprise, in alien apocalypse the black guy got his head bit off, WHAT A SUPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHO WOULDA THOUGHT???????????

LOL :D You are right. As soon as I saw the black guy I thought: DEAD MEAT :rolleyes:

defina91rvc
April 3rd, 2005, 05:31 PM
yea he did die pretty quickly.

Kinky for Governor
September 14th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I’m angry and I’m not going to take it anymore! I really like the show…it’s one of the few I go out of my way to tape on a regular basis. My complaint to the Scifi Channel is that they do a terrible job of re-airing seasons 1-6 and as a result we are not seeing the widest selection of shows possible (M-F @ 6pm and Monday 7-10PM). I CAN ONLY TAKE SO MUCH SEASON 1!!

Specifically, it seems like we are shown a really disproportionate number of shows from certain seasons and not nearly enough of other seasons and to my simple way of thinking, that is just really lazy programming. Presumably Scifi owns the rights to rebroadcast all of the shows so why do I have to watch “Fire and Water”(s1) on average once a month (11 broadcasts during last 12 months) when “Small Victories” (s4) is only shown twice?! It’s about the Replicators for goodness sakes and PEOPLE LIKE THE REPLICATORS!

Looking at the last 12 months, we are statistically going to see a show from season 1 once every week and a half (14% of total re-airings are of season 1) while we are going to see a show from season 4 only 7% (or about once every 3 weeks). There is only a slightly better chance that we will see a show from season 5 (9%) AND I LIKE season 5! You’ve got Apophis dying (“Enemies”), the Tollan homeworld being destroyed (“Between Two Fires”), Sam hooking up with an Ascended Being (“Ascension”) and a guy who looks exactly like DJ Tricky with backward knees sneaking into the group (“The Fifth Man”).

Not to put too fine a point on it but the people at Scifi are stealing our SG-1. Rise up! Take back your lost seasons!! Send emails and letters telling them that you will no longer buy the male enhancement / debt relief / car insurance from dancing lizards that they are selling unless they do a better job programming!

Exit soapbox left.

Erised
September 14th, 2005, 12:44 PM
I totally agree with everything the thread starter said!
When they play a desent Sci Fi movie, it lasts for 4 hours, when normally it would take like 2.5 hours. That's lile 1.5 hours of commersials!
And Stargate mondays are not even fun anymore. What do they do after "Full Circle"? They start from season one! The same season one that is on every day! So after two weeks of seeing Children of the Gods, I see it again! Along with other episodes that I don't even want to see more than once.
The only sci fi movie I remember was good is Atomic Train. But how long did it take? 4 hours! Normally I don't even have 4 hours. Who in their right mind has??

oh and of course.. after showing "Threads" they jump back to "It's good to be king" WTF??

and man......that enzyte commercial... not only is it adversitised in the most annying wauy ever (stupid music, stupid man speaking, stupid actor who looks like he needs some psychological help, and TWO COMMERCIALS IN A ROW!!) it is also really disguisting. I hate to watch something that has to do with sex when my parents are around.

Good thing I got that Dish thingy where you can record and easily skip over the commericals. I mostly do that now.. except for sci fi friday because I am too desperate

oh and I've been wondering for ages... what is the syndication channel????

knocknashee
September 14th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Re-runs in the UK are no better...Sky One have this annoying habit of putting the re-runs on at 6pm, BEFORE The Simpsons, and then editing them to bits. At least they do run them in order as much as they can...and we won't even go into the terrestrial (syndicated) run of SG1...T4...morons!

And for crying out loud, when was the last time anyone remembered anything but Star Trek-TNG or Voyger occupying the 1700 slot? Whilst I have it on good authority that they recently started showing DS9 again, why at 1600 when no-one's really in to watch it? Even worse than the 0300 one, but at least that gives them the licence to show the full show unedited...

AGateFan
September 14th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Saw the thread and felt the need to say "yes it does". The Sci-fi channel truly sucks!. There is only 2 shows on it that are any good. I figured after 3 years that scifi would be smart and just let tptb be, but now I cant shake the sense of the comming spandex. Scifi likes cheese and spandex and they are sending it to SG-1 because Sci-fi hates anything that could potentially be successful... I think they are a tax write-off network and if they dont suck the parent company loses money.

Words cannot exprese my utter contempt for the scifi network. Once stargate is over or is just no longer stargate I will likely not turn the channel on again and I am a huge sci fi fan... to bad the sci fi network rarely shows anything scifi and when they do its just a bunch of crp spandex and cheese.

Did I mention I hate the Sci fi channel?

Willow'sCat
September 14th, 2005, 09:48 PM
oh and I've been wondering for ages... what is the syndication channel????It means in short the on selling of TV shows it is not one particular Network the term is used most often in the USA.
Link below explains it better. :D

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/TV-syndication

the Fifth Race
September 14th, 2005, 10:11 PM
First, it seems to me that a more appropriate title should not be the "SciFi Channel", but the "Horror Channel and Scifi when we feel like airing it".

I also agree with the OP on the way SciFi handles re-runs. More so, there are a ton of good true Science Fiction shows that have NEVER aired on the channel as far as I know. Instead they fill up most of their programming with non-scifi related material.

As for the "Original movies"? Info-mercials would be more entertaining. I can not think of one, one single movie Scifi aired that was in the least bit entertaining. And enough with this When Animals go Bad crap movies. I am sorry but I do not find giant mice entertaining, nor do I see any scifi value to it. They just make this crap to sell to smaller countries who do not have a budget to produce enough of their own films, so they import this american crap. No wonder everyone hates us Americans now, I would too if all I could get was giant man-eating llamas.

First of all I agree with alot of what you are saying, it does seem more like a horror channel than a scifi channel sometimes (the line is very blurry here).

As far as them getting better scifi shows to air (ie..TNG, DS9, Voyager...etc...) those shows cost alot for networks to buy the reruns to air. I remember when Spike bought the rights to air (not exclusive rights either) TNG and DS9 it cost them millions (more than other network ever paid for syndicated reruns). Scifi channel is big but not as big as some may think.

Now the analogy you made about people hating Americans more because of some of the crap that scifi channel produces, I sure hope you were saying that is gest. Becuase it sure sounds rather ridiculous.

Bey0nd
January 16th, 2009, 10:33 PM
less Wrestling, less Ghost Hunters please