PDA

View Full Version : Why is there no tanks in SG?

john82410
November 26th, 2004, 10:03 PM
why do the sg teams never use any forms of transportation like an atv or gocart?

Dotus5
November 26th, 2004, 10:37 PM
It would make the show go too quick. :D :D

Hatcheter
November 26th, 2004, 11:21 PM
It would make the show go too quick. :D :D

Bigger vehicles probably wouldn't get through the gate to well. Plus, the Goa'uld tend to build their stuff right by the Stargates, so it's not necessary to go far.

SaberBlade
November 27th, 2004, 01:06 AM
i think you could fit vehicles through the gate without a problem, the problem would be you coudn't get things like Tanks into the gate room.

the SGC probably has a cargo elevator for large equipment and that could be used for motorbikes or quads but unless there was a stargate outside, there is no way larger things like tanks or jeeps could fit through the corriders and the doors to get to the gate room

Mr Prophet
November 27th, 2004, 01:17 AM
You could probably make reasonably effective use of tanks from an offworld base, so long as you had a good big space in front of the Gate for manoeuvring.

The main problem with using vehicles is that they started it in Stargate: Infinity; any use of it in SG-1 would just induce flashback.

Jarnin
November 27th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Most of the planets they travel to have no roads, just trails, if even that. Notice how most of the planets also have fairly dense forests?

They don't have gas stations, so you'd have to bring fuel with you. If you break down far from the gate, that means extra parts, someone who knows how to fix your ATV, tools, and so on. That's a support team.

Also, what happens if you're cruising around on your ATV, and a death glider spots you before you spot it? Death caused by lack of cover.

Vehicles sound cool, but SG-1 is a recon group. They go to a planet, check out the local area for hostiles, resources, or technology, and then report back. If they find something, they send another team for further investigation.

BruTak
November 27th, 2004, 03:12 AM
What about that mobile gun platform thingy we sometimes see? The one bolted onto the top of a tacked MALP?

I suppose another reason we don't see many vehicles, is the question of size. It's not so much getting a tank into Cheyenne Mountain, as getting it to fit through the Stargate - which is only 16ft across at its widest point (I think. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Mind you, I suppose if you were to fold the main rotors into their storage position, you could probably fit an RAH-66 Super Comanche attack helicopter through the gate...

Wouldn't that be fun? As we say in my part of the world - "Tongs ya bas! You're claimed!"

Unas
November 27th, 2004, 04:14 AM
You can always build a factory in an off-world base or have Prommie ship them to the bases. If you want tank support, you would call them instead of SGC.

Of course, the biggest obstacle is the show's budget. Asking for vehicles from the American or Canadian govt. to appear on a TV show requires a lot paperwork. Building realistic models is out of their budget, but I believe Hollywood already has some though shipping them up to Vancouver is a pain either way.

Crazedwraith
November 27th, 2004, 05:28 AM
the SGTC has a nice article on vehicle feasbillity:
www.stargate-tech.net/esy/vehicles.htm

Read and learn my friend, read and learn

Mr Prophet
November 27th, 2004, 06:12 AM
the SGTC has a nice article on vehicle feasbillity:
www.stargate-tech.net/esy/vehicles.html

Read and learn my friend, read and learn

Yes. Clearly the vehicles are no use if the page can not be found :p

"Just the Zat's Ma'am"
November 27th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Well I always figured that if they 'really' needed larger vehicles that they could use the same loading crane they used to bring in and take out the Stargate high atop Cheyenne Mountain.

But I think that the premise is that each or most of the SG teams are recon teams. Now each team can be outfitted with different gear for different missions but if you're going in hot it doesn't make sense to try and ship an Apache or Hind that would have to be set up on the other side. ATV's and the like make WAY too much noise for a recon mission, not to mention the fear they may invoke in the locals which is something you don't want if you are trying to align yourselves with human decendants.

When it comes to recon the best thing to use is human teams.

When it comes to going into a warzone, you want something to come out of that gate moving. Such as a puddle jumper or one of those 'thread the needle' ships. Hmm, don't know if the X-302's could be modified or not but they might work if they could fit through the gate while moving. I'm not sure of the wingspan of a F-18 or F-16 but with them they are flight tested for our atmospher, doesn't mean they will work exactly the same in other atmospheres. Just because it is breathable to humans doesn't mean that the upper atmosphere would have the same densities as our own. Of course even then the Death Gliders could get higher and come in from above, a perfect attack posture to come in high on your targets six.

Now, . . . what about sending a team through with missle or howitzer support . . . we've seen the missle, the howitzer would only work for things in direct line of site with the gate . . . but it's a thought. Hmm, they do make field nukes that fit into a cannon . . .

Dunno, I figure it's just budget and they've yet to write a script where something like that is called for.

john82410
November 27th, 2004, 08:10 AM
i like pete

Crazedwraith
November 27th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Yes. Clearly the vehicles are no use if the page can not be found :p

Quiet You. Remove the l. The Link in the original is fixed.

southside97
November 27th, 2004, 07:07 PM
well, a tank is very large and slow so it wouldn't go far when in a fight against a glider. it might be able to shoot one down but several of them flying around, the tank would surely be overpowered.

ATV is cool but what happens if you run out of gas? or spotted?

that goes for gocart. maybe faster than tank and atv but what happens if you run out of gas? and likely to be spotted more since it goes fast.

the reason is to hide from air attacks and to be stealth on foot. you don't want the enemy to know you're coming.

NOTE: SPOILER, PLEASE DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED

The SG1 finally has their own transportation in the season finale. its the puddle jumper! WHOOO HOOO. They can go in and out without being seen into the stargate!

lionel_pendergast_rocks
November 27th, 2004, 07:13 PM
i think tanks would be way to vunerable to goa'uld attack. a blast or two from a heavy staff cannon emplacement would probably take it out. i, too, think that death gliders would just blow em out of their socks, or al'kesh.

Unas
November 27th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Mountain bikes are probably the most feasible. They could be ditched easily and cost much less than a tank.

LoneStar1836
November 28th, 2004, 01:21 AM
I can just picture Teal’c pedaling around on a mountain bike. :D

In the reality of the show, I don’t see why they wouldn’t use ATVs or motorcycles in conjunction with the UAV to scout new worlds. The U.S. military uses ATVs (http://www.atvillustrated.com/industry_news/press_releases/Polaris/military_contract/sportsman.html) in Afghanistan (http://www.atvnews.com/output.cfm?id=120583).

And if you think running out of gas is a problem. The new diesel/JP8 powered motorcycle (http://www.m1030.com/) specially designed for the U.S. Marines and Army (http://www.vvdailypress.com/2001-2003/103590885844870.html) has a range of about 400 miles @ 55mph. I’d venture to say SG-1 has never ventured 200 miles away from the gate on foot anyway. But like someone said, the civilizations on the planets tend to be near the gate, but on those planets that lack signs of civilization near the gate, I don't see why they wouldn't use a motorized vehicle to scout out beyond the range of the UAV.

Plus I’d rather have an ATV or motorcycle to evade Jaffa. I’d rather not have to outrun them on foot.

But I’m guessing the show does not use them or even hint at using them because of budget constraints and/or restrictions of filming in Canada. Course I'd rather not have them use them in filming cause you miss out on all the good conversation on the walk between the gate and wherever they are going.

Janus
November 28th, 2004, 07:37 AM
A mountain-bike won't be problem:

+ It would allow the teams to move faster and further without making noise.
+ You don't need a road for it.
+ Easy to dump/hide.
+ No feul problem.
+ You can bring bigger items with you.

shipper hannah
November 28th, 2004, 07:48 AM
would be difficult to get tanks into the sgc and through the stargate....
and they'd be destroyed by bad guys easily cos they're big and slow....

Ocelot
November 28th, 2004, 01:41 PM
You can always build a factory in an off-world base or have Prommie ship them to the bases. If you want tank support, you would call them instead of SGC.

Of course, the biggest obstacle is the show's budget. Asking for vehicles from the American or Canadian govt. to appear on a TV show requires a lot paperwork. Building realistic models is out of their budget, but I believe Hollywood already has some though shipping them up to Vancouver is a pain either way.

Yes, I definetely agree with the budget thing.

OfF3nSiV3
November 28th, 2004, 02:24 PM
maybe they don't want to pollute =P

Ruisseaux
November 28th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Assemble offworld at alpha site a division of M1A1's with a support gourp of bradleys and you have yourself an almost unstopable wrecking crew that would massacure jaffa and most goulds except their heavy bombers prob, which is why you have a loooottt of anti-aircraft fire.

Mr Prophet
November 29th, 2004, 08:11 AM
I was thinking about the effectiveness of Jaffa weapons against armour. Given what we learn in Heroes about the way a staff blast kills you through trauma plates, the Jaffa for tank would probably be the same word they use for 'microwave oven'.

TechnoWraith
November 30th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Keep in mind that what ever's on the other side of the gate may make the use of a tank, atv or such vehicle impossible. Some gates are located in some rather small spaces (spaces that are just barely big enough to get the gate itself in, but not much else) or that some gates lead to unfavorable environments, hostile or even lethal and dangerous environments. Tanks and such vehicles would not fare very well if the gate happened to link to such an environment.

spg_1983
November 30th, 2004, 05:28 PM
season 8 spoilers!

it has been shown that the new alpha site is now an actual base and not just a camp. they have a squadron (or more) of F-302's based there so they have shown that they can move vehicles off world with not much of a problem. plus we now have access to asgard beaming technology so that makes it even easier. it think it is likely that they have some kind of vehicles at the alpha site, probably some 4-wheelers and maybe some hummers, but tanks or APC's are unlikely. for one, like has been said, that would mean a lot of additional support personal and equiptment. plus they would be pretty much useless because you couldnt take one through the gate whole. they wouldnt provide any more firepower than a F-302 would and tanks are most effective when used in concert with several, not alone, so unless we start massive ground war campaigns against the goa'uld there is no need for them. F-302's and BC-303's provide more than enough firepower and versatility to render the need for tanks or apc's pointless

carcer
September 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Imagine a ground vehicle built to travel through the stargate, not unlike the needlethreader, which is armour plated to absorb energy bolts and such.
I realise there is not much call for such a thing now as alot of the fighting happens in space but there has been many times when a tank or two could have helped, especially if it was retrofitted with wraith stun weapons.

Thoughts anyone?

freyr's mother
September 28th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Imagine a ground vehicle built to travel through the stargate, not unlike the needlethreader, which is armour plated to absorb energy bolts and such.
I realise there is not much call for such a thing now as alot of the fighting happens in space but there has been many times when a tank or two could have helped, especially if it was retrofitted with wraith stun weapons.

Thoughts anyone?
When could we have used tanks?

Buba uognarf
September 28th, 2006, 03:38 PM
the problem is even if we have tanks, without air support they'll be blown apart pretty easily by enemy fighter...

freyr's mother
September 28th, 2006, 03:48 PM
the problem is even if we have tanks, without air support they'll be blown apart pretty easily by enemy fighter...
I'm sure they could be deployed by our DSC-304's pretty easily. The only time I could imagine that happening is when there would be like a conquering of a world by us or something. The air support would be provided by the F-302's.

Flyboy
September 28th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Tanks have never been my main concern.

Dirt bikes or small jeeps however...

Mister Oragahn
September 28th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Before a tank, a vehicle capable to shoot down enemy crafts and infantry would be better, since it's the traditionnal targets that SG teams have to deal with.

So some ground-air missiles, a railgun DCA and two anti-infantry guns would be better than a big tank with one freaking big cannon that would be pointless in most occasions.

That defender unit would have been useful in many cases. There would have not been so many bloody casualties in Heroes if those vehicles could have been sent through the stargate.

Safe for Lost City. This vehicle would have provided cover for the SG team exploring the ruins and guarding the stargate.

Theorically, they could have also been deployed around the outpost, adding more defense to the fighters.

In Children of the Gods in fact, covering the backs of SG-1 and the civilians, though I can't blame the SGC for not having such unts so early.

Would have been useful in The Enemy Within as well, but again, it was so early in SG that I can excuse this.

Singularity would be another good example.

Let's jump to freshier seasons.

Full Circle would have been a perfect occasion.

Eventually Orpheus when the Goa'uld defenses were porous.

Death Knell. Ok, the gate was lying on its side, but a hovertank would have just been moving through, and once it would be on the other side, it would have simply turned 90°. This might have helped against the Kull warriors.

New Order. To defend Orilla, it would have been easier.

It's Good to be King.

Reckoning Part 2. Would have been of help to repel the replicators with much more ease.

Trouble is that the actual stargate on Earth is located in a base that only authorizes personnel transport.

That is why I figure that in a very close future, the stargate will be moved to another base, one which allow both troops and vehicles to use the stargate.

Technically, Earth could even build hovertanks, considering the ridiculous low space the exotic drives take... and which can even be mounted on missiles!

Peoples_General
September 28th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I think ground vehicles like HMMWVs (Humveys) would be a great asset in battle. Imagine being able to run away quickly to the gate. Not to mention that handy 50 cal machinegun with about 1000 rounds. Not to mention that HMMWVs can be equipped with TOW missiles...

Such a vehicle would be good against both ground troops and Darts. Apparently Death Gliders are stronger than Darts, since Darts can be taken down by small arms fire (M249s SAWs, P-90s, and etc.). Adding a TOW missile would take down those Death Gliders, as well as help to bombard an enemy location, or take out large groups of Jaffa/Wraith/Ori Warriors.

Another thing with the HMMWVs is that they can be modified to whatever role is needed. You can turn in them into ambulances, troop carriers, cargo/equipment transports, anti-air-missile platforms (Avenger), and etc.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/imgs/m1114.jpg

wolfax
September 28th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I agree, Humvees would be great. A M1a3 would be useless. Different vehicles for different missions. A quick scout mission: Dirt Bike and "dune buggy"w/203or7.62 weapon package. Long-time mission (exploration) 3 Humvees (1 command (science package), 2 attack/defend w/various weapons packages-TOW, 7.62, 20mm, etc)

P.S. The dirt-bike doesn't have weapons. :)

ascendedancient42
September 28th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I would love to see this one:

Some Jaffa patrol working for Baal, walking through the woods.

They encounter SG-1 and pin them down, calling for backup. More Jaffa patrols show up.

SG-1 calls for backup (they have a team guarding the gate)!

A few minutes later a tank comes out of the woods and starts blowing up Jaffa! Of course, they'll shoot back, but they're out-gunned. And of course, the tank is being supported by no less than two ground teams.

:)

Sadly, were this to happen, the baddies would respond in kind and steal the idea, likely producing a tank that has shields!

:(

freyr's mother
September 28th, 2006, 07:44 PM

They encounter SG-1 and pin them down, calling for backup. More Jaffa patrols show up.

A few minutes later a tank comes out of the woods and starts blowing up Jaffa! Of course, they'll shoot back, but they're out-gunned. And of course, the tank is being supported by no less than two ground teams.

And two squadrons of F-302's.

wolfax
September 28th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Sadly, were this to happen, the baddies would respond in kind and steal the idea, likely producing a tank that has shields! posted by acendedancient42

Then we make a tank with shields (we have ships w/shields) although I think the Humvee idea by several posters is more feasable, but that is not to say that the humvee's go further out from the gate while a tank or two is on "standby" at the gate..

Ouroboros
September 28th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Full on main battletanks probably wouldn't be necessary. Modern tanks generally concern themselves with attacking other modern tanks and fortifications, nothing the SG enemies really have a lot of.

A mix of Bradleys and Humvees on the other hand would be tremendously useful. They'd protect the Sg teams riding inside them from most of what the badguys have and they'd absolutely massacre those stupid charging hordes teams always seem to encounter.

Milleniumlance
September 28th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I say find the middle ground STRYKERS!!!!!!
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/iav-pics.htm

hyzmarca
September 29th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Well, if Homeworld Security has the budget to build a 4 spacecraft and dozens of fighters that will never serve any role on earth then they have the budget to built a mission-specific armored vehicle that will never have any use on earth.

The primary advantage in using armored vehciles is a drastic reduction in teh number of casualties suffered by the SGC. All things considered, they have been taking casualties far too quickly. It isn't like they can just step up their recruitment efforts. There are a limited number of individuals who qualify for such a high security clearence and even fewer who have a combat MOS. I'm surprised that they aren't being killed by personel shortages after their loses to the Ori.

I wouldn't bother with the Bradley fighting vehicle. It is generally a tank-killer. It isn't too useful when your enemies don't use tanks. The Stryker is nice but it is a little meh for the SGCs purposes. Something that can mount far more guns at once and which has superior alien derived sensors so no one ever has to poke a head out would be preferable. Add on a fridge, a microwave oven, some beds, and a flushing toilet and you pretty much have a heavily armed and armored RV, exactly what you want on dangerous offworld expeditions. Such an RV could serve as a mobile command bunker as well as armored calvary and could potentially be retrofitted to serve as mobile science labs or armored cargo trucks. BAsicly, like Puddle Jumpers with more wheels and less suck.

Hatcheter
September 29th, 2006, 02:11 AM
I say find the middle ground STRYKERS!!!!!!
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/iav-pics.htm

I watched a show about those vehicles and how they're being utilized in Iraq. Suffice to say: Strykers are badass. :D

2ndgenerationalteran
September 29th, 2006, 03:19 AM
if the armor is designed to asorb energy blasts why not put them on our ships. make a ship like a jumper that is made of that armor, because why would you take the low ground when you can take the high ground in a battle. a cliff can stop a tank but a ship would fly over it. on homeworld missions maybe (its gonna take alot for the military to let us use a tank) but i think its more possible to see a humvee.

the real reason why we havent seen any vehical other than a malp off world is because they dont fit through the doors and corridors in the SGC

carcer
September 29th, 2006, 03:21 AM
I think a humvee/stryka type vehicle would be excellent, especially if they had a rotary staff weapon on the top, 8 staffs attached together to fire in a chaingun style. that would be awsome.

There have been many times when tanks could have been used, i mean, even the russsans built a submarine for "watergate". I am just suprised the writers didnt add them.

Mister Oragahn
September 29th, 2006, 04:58 AM
The humvee is a good option.
http://www.army.mil/fact_files_site/tow/images/TOW_on_HWMMV.jpg

The Stryker is a also a good option.

I think we all agree that some anti tank heavy unit is unnecessary. Now, it doesn't mean that missiles about to shoot down tanks aren't necessary. Goa'uld, like Ori, come with vehicles that requires tough guided ordinance to be destroyed.

That's why I believe we should have vehicle that must have the following weapons:

- TOW missile launcher turret or railgun turret.
- 1 anti-infantry heavy gun.

The Stryker is neat because like a Bradley, you can transport troops inside an armoured vehicle, that is fast enough to evade enemy formations, bring reinforcements and else.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/stryker-ATGMFiring.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't see what type of vehicle could combine both a railgun and even one or two TOW missiles.

Technically, if Earth could retro engineer one of those probes sent by Anubis, or a karakesh (ribbon device), we could start thinking about mounting shields on light vehicles.
As I said, we can already mount inertial dampeners on missiles or on ships of the size of a F-302.

The vehicle would have to be fairly long, and designed to fit in a stargate.

Maybe we can't send them from the SGC, but we could send them from an alpha base specifically designed to suit such needs. After all, there already are trucks on alpha base, already transported by our spacecarriers. So it's perfectly reasonable to have an alpha base serve as a main hangar.

Shielded and armored hovertank all the way I say, with eventually four or six deployable wheels if necessary. It's about damn time we get those rolling out of the factories.

wise one
September 29th, 2006, 04:59 AM
the problem is that if u want a quick getaway to the gate with other marines running through it first then you driving ur humvee or whatever you run over the marines on the other side

FallenAngelII
September 29th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Tanks are slow and big almost stationary targets. When was the last time you were able to surprise attack anyone using tanks?

And I doubt any enemy great enough to be as a formidable a threat to require tanks would be huddled together in a small corner just waiting for us to blow them up with one single shot.

Guerilla warfare, airstrikes, whatever. The tanks would be toast.

Tanith
September 29th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Tanks and other large vehicles wouldn't really be practical on the majority of planets since they are covered in thick forests. Dirt bikes would be more practical, except they haven't got weapons.

Dr McKay
September 29th, 2006, 05:47 AM
as well as the fact its run by the air force, surely they wont have tanks? if it was run by the US army then maybe you could understand, but seeing its the air force i would say thats your reason.

Mister Oragahn
September 29th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Tanks are slow and big almost stationary targets. When was the last time you were able to surprise attack anyone using tanks?

And I doubt any enemy great enough to be as a formidable a threat to require tanks would be huddled together in a small corner just waiting for us to blow them up with one single shot.

Guerilla warfare, airstrikes, whatever. The tanks would be toast.

This is just simply ignoring all the examples I cited which show how support armored and armed light vehicles would have greatly helped.
And of course, all these cases are mostly about SG-1. This is not counting the countless other battles other SG teams had to deal with.

Temp2
September 29th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Big? Yes. Slow and almost stationary? You are aware it isn't 1916 anymore, right? The maximum cross-country speed of a M1 is 30 mph, and lighter armored vehicles such as those in the Mowag Piranha family (Stryker and LAV-25, for example) can go even faster. Of course you lose some surprise when they can see and/or hear you coming, but armored vehicles offer the firepower advantage.

Also, the majority of planets that we've seen are covered in trees because the majority of planets that we've seen are back lots in Vancouver.

Orbital-Burn
September 29th, 2006, 08:01 AM
the problem is that if u want a quick getaway to the gate with other marines running through it first then you driving ur humvee or whatever you run over the marines on the other side

they made nets to catch jets on aircraft carriers, I'm sure they'd stop vehicles too.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/imgs/stryker.jpg
Stryker would be my number one selection. Close second would be 4 wheelers. This being my choice: (and I have one too)
http://bobscycleshop.com/whatsnew/images/rincon.jpg
Honda Rincon

USMCgrunt
September 29th, 2006, 09:06 AM
The perfect vehicle would the be one the Marine Corps already has and uses with great effectiveness, the LAV-25.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/lav-25-dvic371.jpg
It is smaller than the Stryker (which is a death trap) and has a 25mm chain gun in its turret and can mount two TOW missles beside it. There are air defense varriants as well as mortar, ambulance, command, recovery. You name it and the LAV-25 can do it. Another big plus is since it is a Marine Corps vehicle it is totally amphibious. It can go 65 miles an hour over land and carry 9 fully equipped infantry Marines in the back. I think it would be the best solution seeing as how the Marine Corps is the most involved service in the SG program next to the Air Force and it is a vehicle they already have at there disposal. On a side note I am a US Marine infantryman and I have seen more than a handful of strikers on the side of the road in flames. We got to calling them 8 wheel coffins they got blown up so much.

Orbital-Burn
September 29th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Aren't the US marines currently holding 8 or 9 men on completely unfounded charges and who now have less rights than our sworn enemies, the terrorist who are being held?

just a heads up, the USMC is not perfect.

Dr McKay
September 29th, 2006, 10:15 AM
also it might of been something that TPTB overlooked when originally designing the gate room. The probably didnt plan initially to use tank etc.. so the gate room was made for people to basically walk in like they do (i know its in a nuculear silo but if they planned on using tanks etc.. they could of tweaked it so they could of but they did not) and felt it was best not to go redesigning the gate room.

Thats my $0.02 anyway ;)

freyr's mother
September 29th, 2006, 10:20 AM
also it might of been something that TPTB overlooked when originally designing the gate room. The probably didnt plan initially to use tank etc.. so the gate room was made for people to basically walk in like they do (i know its in a nuculear silo but if they planned on using tanks etc.. they could of tweaked it so they could of but they did not) and felt it was best not to go redesigning the gate room.

Thats my $0.02 anyway ;)
That's why I suggest they place some M1A2's on the DSC-304's. I'm just talking like 3 or 4.

Orbital-Burn
September 29th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Thats my $0.02 anyway ;)

A simple elevator system and replacing the metal ramp with a concrete ramp could fix this problem. But I suspect that a heavy staff weapon like the one Teal'c used in 48 hours could fix any of our tanks. Also we saw that the ZATs effects can travel down metal...

Xeon_1
September 29th, 2006, 10:23 AM
now this mayby a stupid question but what is beneath the control room?
it there is nothing mayby it could be converted to the garage for the tanks and stuff

make the floor so it can tilt to a go to a lower level and let de tanks and apc's drive from underneath the control room up a special ramp true the gate

just a thought but could be usefull since i never seen anything beneath the control room and it is half a level higher then the gateroom so it should be posible

Mister Oragahn
September 29th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Thinking about it, all these vehicles, safe maybe the Bradley, may be toasted by the firepower of Death Gliders and Alkesh bombers.

I think we simply need to design two types of high tech vehicles.

One for quick emergency transport, coming with a medical assistance capability, and a single anti infantry turret, and one, the tough *****, with a railgun, a few TOW missiles and the anti infantry gun.

Both armored AND shielded. Otherwise there's no point.

freyr's mother
September 29th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Thinking about it, all these vehicles, safe maybe the Bradley, may be toasted by the firepower of Death Gliders and Alkesh bombers.

I think we simply need to design two types of high tech vehicles.

One for quick emergency transport, coming with a medical assistance capability, and a single anti infantry turret, and one, the tough *****, with a railgun, a few TOW missiles and the anti infantry gun.

Both armored AND shielded. Otherwise there's no point.
If they have air support from F-302's, shielding wont be a problem. That is why I suggested deploying them on the DSC-304's.

Mister Oragahn
September 29th, 2006, 10:49 AM
The purpose of those vehicles is to be deployed on worlds where there is no (air) support at all.

freyr's mother
September 29th, 2006, 10:51 AM
The purpose of those vehicles is to be deployed on worlds where there is no (air) support at all.
They aren't going to even be able to get close to the gate let alone go through it. The only way we're going to get anything that can support ground support to other worlds is by using the 304's.

GateR_mk
September 29th, 2006, 01:29 PM

and if thre is already significant resources devoted to air support on both sides, there is no longer a great need for ground support viehicles

Peoples_General
September 29th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I think that the whole SGC should be moved to a new location. Namely one where they make a larger gateroom and have space to place vehicles in them.

Make the gate closer the ground like the one in Atlantis. No need for ramps...

That way you can put HMMWVs and LAV25s or Strikers in the room and have them used by the SG teams.

All TPTB has to do is to use 2 or 3 HMMWVs for the SG team missions.

EkEMaN
September 29th, 2006, 05:16 PM
An APC would be my favorite choice. It's got enough room to be used as a personnel carrier (as intended) and as a medical unit. The turret could be taken down and replaced with a railgun (for that extra punch ;) ) and the machine guns on it should be very effective against everything they might encounter.

Dr McKay
September 29th, 2006, 06:04 PM
a tank in the world of stargate would be alot better than the types of tank we would generally see, seeing they would be packed with alien tech and sheilded to hell ;)

Ludofjn
September 29th, 2006, 06:42 PM
just get a APC or Warthog type vehical with a magnetic accelerator cannon, a few tow missles ,and a nice small fusion reactor with a explosive yield of what 4 Tzar bombs, and one extremely strong energy shield

Ouroboros
September 29th, 2006, 10:11 PM
If I was going to scratch build something I'd just load it up with .30 cal machine guns and maybe a single .50.

Give it computer targeting assistance on all weapons with air and ground attack modes.

Dedicated anti-air weapons aren't necessary against the lame ass aircraft the badguys field and neither are heavy anti-tank weapons. A good computer that can lead a dart or deathglider properly with a .50cal is all that's needed and it doesn't take away space from anti infantry weaponry which is what will see the most use.

Hatcheter
September 30th, 2006, 12:52 AM
If I was going to scratch build something I'd just load it up with .30 cal machine guns and maybe a single .50.

Give it computer targeting assistance on all weapons with air and ground attack modes.

Dedicated anti-air weapons aren't necessary against the lame ass aircraft the badguys field and neither are heavy anti-tank weapons. A good computer that can lead a dart or deathglider properly with a .50cal is all that's needed and it doesn't take away space from anti infantry weaponry which is what will see the most use.

I'd go with a Stinger SAM launcher for air defense. At least, if sending a unit of vehicles through a gate, include an Avenger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1097_Avenger) in the bunch. It's missiles can intercept enemy aircraft a couple miles out (drop 'em before they're close enough to attack), and has a .50-cal for closer work.

2ndgenerationalteran
September 30th, 2006, 02:39 AM
tanks are stoppable, as someone brought up zat fire travels through metal so your internal stuff is practically fried if you take multiple blasts. and im pretty sure if a death glider targeted a tank it would be screwed. if you add shielding to the tank it would be much larger, and the tank probably wont fit through the gate anyways.

The SGC isnt going on full on military occupation of civilian inhabited worlds. yes we have full blown battle scenes on the ground but we are rescuing our injured soldiers, or we are retreating back. it doesnt fit the SGC's way of doing things. i agree a small, fast and light vehical could be introduced and would be useful.

then there is the issue of things getting in the way for tanks, like cliffs, bodies of water (deep bodies of water), very steep hills. the solution would probably be antigravity, but if you do that its not a tank anymore and why not go the rest of the way and make it a gateship?

and we have seen armed military vehicals off world on sg1, in Forever in a Day we had that small malp thing with a gun on it, maybe 50 cal, and had an armor plating on the front of it but the driver did get shot off it.

Xeon_1
September 30th, 2006, 06:52 AM
tanks are stoppable, as someone brought up zat fire travels through metal so your internal stuff is practically fried if you take multiple blasts. and im pretty sure if a death glider targeted a tank it would be screwed. if you add shielding to the tank it would be much larger, and the tank probably wont fit through the gate anyways.

The SGC isnt going on full on military occupation of civilian inhabited worlds. yes we have full blown battle scenes on the ground but we are rescuing our injured soldiers, or we are retreating back. it doesnt fit the SGC's way of doing things. i agree a small, fast and light vehical could be introduced and would be useful.

then there is the issue of things getting in the way for tanks, like cliffs, bodies of water (deep bodies of water), very steep hills. the solution would probably be antigravity, but if you do that its not a tank anymore and why not go the rest of the way and make it a gateship?

and we have seen armed military vehicals off world on sg1, in Forever in a Day we had that small malp thing with a gun on it, maybe 50 cal, and had an armor plating on the front of it but the driver did get shot off it.

yes a zat blast traffels true metal but if you build the tank wright you effectifly get a cage of faraday that is grounded
so the internal stuff would be fine

Mister Oragahn
September 30th, 2006, 11:24 AM
They aren't going to even be able to get close to the gate let alone go through it. The only way we're going to get anything that can support ground support to other worlds is by using the 304's.

If the actual vehicles can't fit through a gate, then create one that can.
Earth can do that with large ease.

just get a APC or Warthog type vehical with a magnetic accelerator cannon, a few tow missles ,and a nice small fusion reactor with a explosive yield of what 4 Tzar bombs, and one extremely strong energy shield

Yep, a naqahdah portable generator is easy to carry and doesn't take much room. Pack this to shields and weapons and you have a hell of a ground vessel.

I'm afraid this would not be enough to down an al'kesh (considering it required several missiles in Lost City to destroy them), and even less any goa'uld troop transport.

At least a good railgun could achieve that. But the point of a railgun is that the vehicle should be "fixed" before firing. A smaller caliber could be fired with more ease, but wouldn't be enough against half the ships SG troops are ought to face.

So it seems that a good dozen of TOW missiles and one anti infantry gun would be perfectly good, could be used while in movement, and leave enough room for other structures.

But seriously, bring us a damn shield! There's the room for a naqahdah generator, and a miniaturized shield tech DOES exist.

alaskannut
September 30th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't be so quick on the draw there FAII.....back in the '80s there was an exercise in Germany between a US army unit with M-1s and a Canadian unit using Leopard-1 tanks, which resulted in total defeat for the Canucks..the poor buggers nicknamed it the "Whispering Death" afterwards. This was because the M-1 is fast (>50mph when the engine governor is removed....from what I've heard, usually one of the first things a crew does in the field), has good acceleration and is so quiet thanks to its turbine engine, that it couldn't be heard at ranges beyond 200yards....this from a tank that using the latest guided munitions can also engage targets from >8km awayhttp://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Raytheon_Projectile_Scores_a_Direct_Hit_Against_Moving_T_72_Tank_999.html.

I would bet that it is only for budgetary reasons that neither show has made use of armored vehicles as of yet...it has got to be painfully expensive renting a tank for even a few hours of filming...and that's if there are even vehicles available to rent;)

freyr's mother
September 30th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Sounds fun!

Actionhank
September 30th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Hey everyone - nice discussion.

When it comes to small tanks - how about this little fellow here:
I know it's not from US military but I believe S.G.C. is now mostly funded by all nations. :)
http://www.deutschesheer.de/portal/PA_1_0_LT/PortalFiles/C1256F87004CF5AE/W26LJG8V716INFODE/wiesel21.jpg?yw_repository=youatweb
http://www.deutschesheer.de/portal/PA_1_0_LT/PortalFiles/C1256F87004CF5AE/W26TKAR3254INFODE/wiesel2_allgemein_pionier.jpg?yw_repository=youatweb
http://www.deutschesheer.de/portal/PA_1_0_LT/PortalFiles/C1256F87004CF5AE/W26TKAZQ637INFODE/wiesel2_allgemein_san.jpg?yw_repository=youatweb

height: 1900mm
width: 1820mm
length: 3769mm (doesnt matter that much though)
It's highly manouvarable and quick in almost every terrain and can even be dropped from the sky (don't know the english word for this).
It can be equipped with stingers - so It's at least one option I'd say and should be considered for rescue missions and so on.
What do you say?

freyr's mother
September 30th, 2006, 07:09 PM
It's highly manouvarable and quick in almost every terrain and can even be dropped from the sky (don't know the english word for this).

Paradropped?

Actionhank
September 30th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Paradropped?
Yes, thank you.

alaskannut
September 30th, 2006, 07:19 PM

I know it's not from US military but I believe S.G.C. is now mostly funded by all nations. :)
http://www.deutschesheer.de/portal/PA_1_0_LT/PortalFiles/C1256F87004CF5AE/W26LJG8V716INFODE/wiesel21.jpg?yw_repository=youatweb
http://www.deutschesheer.de/portal/PA_1_0_LT/PortalFiles/C1256F87004CF5AE/W26TKAR3254INFODE/wiesel2_allgemein_pionier.jpg?yw_repository=youatweb
http://www.deutschesheer.de/portal/PA_1_0_LT/PortalFiles/C1256F87004CF5AE/W26TKAZQ637INFODE/wiesel2_allgemein_san.jpg?yw_repository=youatweb

It can be equipped with stingers - so It's at least one option I'd say and should be considered for rescue missions and so on.
What do you say?
The Wiesel is a nifty vehicle, and in the context of the show, would certainly be quite useful especially in SGA....but I would be nervous about its light armor.

Personally I would take a resurrected M-8 or Stryker MGS, though I rather suspect that the latter is too high to fit through the gate..

Actually...scratch that, I would take a FCS Infantry Combat Vehicle fitted with a pod for Stinger and/or Javelin missiles--firepower+some protection+ infantry

Actionhank
September 30th, 2006, 07:45 PM
The Wiesel is a nifty vehicle, and in the context of the show, would certainly be quite useful especially in SGA....but I would be nervous about its light armor.

Personally I would take a resurrected M-8 or Stryker MGS, though I rather suspect that the latter is too high to fit through the gate..

Actually...scratch that, I would take a FCS Infantry Combat Vehicle fitted with a pod for Stinger and/or Javelin missiles--firepower+some protection+ infantry
Hmmm, question is - does it fit through the gate?

Ouroboros
September 30th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I'm afraid this would not be enough to down an al'kesh (considering it required several missiles in Lost City to destroy them), and even less any goa'uld troop transport.

At least a good railgun could achieve that. But the point of a railgun is that the vehicle should be "fixed" before firing. A smaller caliber could be fired with more ease, but wouldn't be enough against half the ships SG troops are ought to face.

So it seems that a good dozen of TOW missiles and one anti infantry gun would be perfectly good, could be used while in movement, and leave enough room for other structures.

But seriously, bring us a damn shield! There's the room for a naqahdah generator, and a miniaturized shield tech DOES exist.

Yeah but I don't really think the frequency of Alkesh encounters justifies arming the vehicle with a bulky anti-air weapon when 99% of the time it's just going to be grinding charging goons into giblets though.

A dedicated anti-air vehicle would be nice but in the meantime the gap could easily be filled with a few shoulder fired anti-air missies carried by the dismounts just like in lost city. It's not like Alkesh are particularly dangerous even when they do show up. If shoulder fired missiles can down them a few sustained seconds of drilling with a .50 caliber machinegun should do the job just as well. It's not like they're very nimble.

The thing I'd actually be most worried about would be Wraith darts or shielded Ori fighters (if they are shielded). There's the potential for the former to actually tear a piece of the tank off with the culling beam and the latter might be too heavily protected to damage with machine guns or anti air missiles that tend to rely on shrapnel.

I'd also be entirely not surprised to see the Wraith just ram heavy tanks with their darts to destroy them if they couldn't do it coventionally.

ziga1980
October 1st, 2006, 12:32 AM
hummvee would be great. made of that energy absorbing armor. and a metalstorm system mounted on top. it would be great for clearing a path or taking out the gate guard. would do a lot of damage in heros. we would only send a formation of these through the gate. one anti-infantry, one anti-aricraft and one ambulance. for instance fraiser wouldnt be killed in heros cuz the hummvee would cover them.

we could also cloak them. energy absorbing armor + cloak + weapons platform would do great.

Ice Wolf
October 1st, 2006, 12:54 AM
I think they should go with dune buggys like spec forces use only with electric motors instead of a combustion engine (quieter) , it would fit the needs of a quick vehicle for sg teams, and would allow for a more scouting of the area and the ability to take more equipment than the team could carry by them selves and could probably fit in the outside corridor to the gat room and through the doors, best type of vehicle for the space and restictions of the current gate room.

Mister Oragahn
October 1st, 2006, 04:14 AM
I wouldn't be so quick on the draw there FAII.....back in the '80s there was an exercise in Germany between a US army unit with M-1s and a Canadian unit using Leopard-1 tanks, which resulted in total defeat for the Canucks..the poor buggers nicknamed it the "Whispering Death" afterwards. This was because the M-1 is fast (>50mph when the engine governor is removed....from what I've heard, usually one of the first things a crew does in the field), has good acceleration and is so quiet thanks to its turbine engine, that it couldn't be heard at ranges beyond 200yards....this from a tank that using the latest guided munitions can also engage targets from >8km awayhttp://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Raytheon_Projectile_Scores_a_Direct_Hit_Against_Moving_T_72_Tank_999.html.

I would bet that it is only for budgetary reasons that neither show has made use of armored vehicles as of yet...it has got to be painfully expensive renting a tank for even a few hours of filming...and that's if there are even vehicles available to rent;)

I think the army could make a firendly move here.
Plus logically, TPTB would rather buy a decomissioned model, or a piece of junk, slap a few metal plates, paint it, and that's it.
Well, temporarily renting tanks is feasible, but it's not the cheapest way to definitively own a vehicle for your show.

What do you say?

That's a nice vehicle. Compact, well armed, and I supposed fast enough. Two problems though. First, what about armour? Secondly, how many people can you transport with that?

Yeah but I don't really think the frequency of Alkesh encounters justifies arming the vehicle with a bulky anti-air weapon when 99% of the time it's just going to be grinding charging goons into giblets though.

A dedicated anti-air vehicle would be nice but in the meantime the gap could easily be filled with a few shoulder fired anti-air missies carried by the dismounts just like in lost city. It's not like Alkesh are particularly dangerous even when they do show up. If shoulder fired missiles can down them a few sustained seconds of drilling with a .50 caliber machinegun should do the job just as well. It's not like they're very nimble.

I don't think shoulder missiles could defeat Al'keshes so quickly. The ones that downed an Al'kesh in three shots were fired by F-302s. That would be a larger caliber than what a trooper could ever hope firing.

The trouble with the missiles is that they come in very limited numbers. It may be enough, it may not. A big machine gun could shoot down Darts, but couldn't hope denting half Goa'uld atmospheric ships.

I think Earth should come with something like two or three designs really. Globally, there are five main tasks.

- Transport people in and out, eventually with the capacity and tools to heal them. That implies the ability to carry at least two or three more persons besides what's needed to man the vehicle.
- Deal with enemy infantry, especially when attacking en masse, which the Goa'uld tend to do more than the Wraith.
- Destroy light vehicles. Darts appear to be the most (stupidly) fragile for supposedly space fighters, and could eventually be downed with a heavy with Death Gliders coming behind. Something like a M60 is easily able to damage a Dart, though it doesn't seem to be enough to damage a Death Glider.
- Destroy vessels with medium armor. Possibly Wraith scoutships, but certainly Al'keshes and troop transports. We've seen tbat powerful missiles are necessary for that.
- Above all, not be destroyed. Safe if we start to use alloys of trinium and naqahdah, and even then I'm not sure it would suffice because of the fragility of the caterpillars or wheels, I don't see what kind of armor could be used on a medium and could resist to the goa'uld or wraith weapons. Plus it's true that Darts could cull away chunks of the tank. There's no trick here, a shield is needed. The presence of a shield would provide such a good defense, so eventually, shooting down bigger threats may become pointless.

A vehicle that's meant to be polyvalent won't succeed with the same efficiency as more dedicated vehicles would.
Plus most of the propositions in that thread would really have problems against the Goa'uld and Wraith weapons, and only a shield powered by a naqahdah generator could prove useful.

The thing I'd actually be most worried about would be Wraith darts or shielded Ori fighters (if they are shielded). There's the potential for the former to actually tear a piece of the tank off with the culling beam and the latter might be too heavily protected to damage with machine guns or anti air missiles that tend to rely on shrapnel.

I'd also be entirely not surprised to see the Wraith just ram heavy tanks with their darts to destroy them if they couldn't do it coventionally.

Samey. A shield plugged to a naqahdah generator would be fine there. Last time I heard McKay talk about such a generator, he mentionned an overload about 20 KT.

Zatnikitelman
October 2nd, 2006, 08:51 AM
Personally I'd say scratch build a small light tank that is VERY fast. Have maybe 4-6 seats. A large central gun mount with perhaps 3 types of gun-perhaps 20mm semi-rapid fire, 37mm, and maybe a large 50mm or 80mm round. The other positions could have their specialities as well as a .50 or .30 caliber rapid fire machine gun for anti-personnel use.

Exiled Master
October 3rd, 2006, 05:54 AM

I really don't see a death glider taking down a tank. And a tank can go trough a river pretty easily, though we don't encounter them very often.

Seastallion
October 3rd, 2006, 06:27 AM

Thoughts anyone?

A suped-up tank in the future of Stargate might be cool, but given the specific missions of the SG teams, I don't see it as an asset. The reason they don't use tanks, is the same reason that real world Spec Ops teams don't use tanks. Recon work simply isn't compatible with large noisy machinery. Real world spec ops teams use submarines, airplanes and helicopters to get to their destinations but in SG they use the Odyssey (or Daedalus) and Puddlejumpers, which provide the same benefits as their real world counterparts. Namely getting in quietly and undetected. Tanks are designed to get in your face. Not the standard SG 'modus operandi'. ;)

A high speed dune-buggy might be cool. They might need to modify it with a Naquada generator to allow for an ultra-quiet engine, but that might work. ;)

belistner
October 7th, 2006, 05:31 AM
now the sgc has it's own jumper bay on top of the gate room why not just go to the world from the tower trade for all there jumpers and use them in the milky way .(they can't use them)
they fly have a cloak carry a few drones can remote dail the gate and are big enough to carry the injured and/or troops what esle do you need :mckay:

Locutus_Of_Borg
October 7th, 2006, 07:09 AM
this may be really really stupid but could it be because
THERE IN THE AIRFORCE

that generally specialises in the "Air"
and uve seen a minitank in that episode of sg1 when shar'e dies

Mister Oragahn
October 7th, 2006, 07:09 AM
A suped-up tank in the future of Stargate might be cool, but given the specific missions of the SG teams, I don't see it as an asset. The reason they don't use tanks, is the same reason that real world Spec Ops teams don't use tanks. Recon work simply isn't compatible with large noisy machinery. Real world spec ops teams use submarines, airplanes and helicopters to get to their destinations but in SG they use the Odyssey (or Daedalus) and Puddlejumpers, which provide the same benefits as their real world counterparts. Namely getting in quietly and undetected. Tanks are designed to get in your face. Not the standard SG 'modus operandi'. ;)

We adressed this. There are many reasons where armored and armed vehicles would have proved useful and where no space ship could have been there in time.

alaskannut
October 8th, 2006, 06:39 PM
now the sgc has it's own jumper bay on top of the gate room why not just go to the world from the tower trade for all there jumpers and use them in the milky way .(they can't use them)
they fly have a cloak carry a few drones can remote dail the gate and are big enough to carry the injured and/or troops what esle do you need :mckay:
Listen to the conversation at the end of "The Tower".........:mckay: :mckay:

Sheppard
October 8th, 2006, 06:41 PM
well atleast we got some drones out of the tower :P

belistner
October 9th, 2006, 10:12 AM
found this in the episode section of atlantis season 2

Fade to the now very common shot of Weir standing on the deck looking over the water on Atlantis. Sheppard comes out to join her to report a job well done:

Sheppard: Got the Drones, got a few Jumpers... I even got the girl.

Weir: You got the girl?

Sheppard: (somewhat boastful and matter of fact) Well I mean I could have got the girl. I turned her down. (Weir narrows her eyes, smiles and nods)

Weir: What did you offer them in return for the Drones and the Jumpers?

Sheppard: Supply of medicines and an IDC if they need to reach us. We also offered to help them come up with a new way of running things when the time comes.

Weir: They didn't offer you King?

Sheppard: (smug) Turned that down too.

judging by this there should still be some left to trade

EnterTheWormhole
October 28th, 2006, 11:00 AM
A light armored vehcile for SG teams? Hmmm...

I'd recommend a tracked vehicle about the size of, say, a Wiesel 2 (it has to be thin enough to get through the gate at SGC, of course.) I wouldn't say the Wiesel itself, though, given the need for stronger armor. (Though, as it has already been said, if we have enough naquadah and trinium...).

I'd suggest different variants of the vehicle for different missions. Among them must be, IMHO, an APC and an ambulance. The APC would carry no more than 4-5 passengers, as this is the normal size of an average SG team, and the Wiesel 2 APC carries about this many passengers (maybe it carries one more). The ambulance would have an interior, I presume, much like the Wiesel 2 ambulance (maybe a bit more high-tech given the technology the SGC has acquired over the years.)

If it is feasible, a RCWS-30 remote weapons mount (http://www.rafael.co.il/marketing/area.aspx?FolderID=402&docID=994) might prove ideal to be mounted on the top, as it has weaponry for dealing with infantry (7.62mm MG), heavier targets (30mm cannon), plus two missiles/rockets (which will probably be naquadah-enhanced.)

Though, if a vehicle the size of an M113 can fit through the ranp & gate at the SGC, I'd prefer that size, as a bigger vehicle can have, say, more stuff. (Though I wouldn't suggest giving the SG teams M113s)

A naquadah generator would probably prove more than enough to power the vehicle, and a shield generator should be added. Perhaps Asgard beaming technology could be added to the ambulance (to beam a wounded SG team member out of a hostile area), though you then risk the chance of said Asgard tech falling into enemy hands if the ambulance is captured.

Last but not least, the vehicle should have an interior gate-dialing device so that neither crew nor SG team need dismount in order to dial home (or wherever they are going.)

I'll admit that my knowledge on Stargate tech is not that great, but I do no a thing or two about military hardware.

V-MAN
October 29th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Adding a TOW missile would take down those Death Gliders[/IMG]

No it wouldn't, trying to shoot down a fast moving aerial target with a TOW missile mounted on a HMMWV is a stupid idea. TOWs are ment to be fired at armoured vehicles.

:)

Sadly, were this to happen, the baddies would respond in kind and steal the idea, likely producing a tank that has shields!

:(

A heavy battle tank wouldn't fit through the stargate it's too wide. Maybe an APC like the Warrior IFV might, it does in the OFP stargate mod all be it with a lot of scraping lol. A HMMWV would definatly.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing the panther in Stargate

[img=http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/9057/fclv11gs5.th.jpg] (http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fclv11gs5.jpg)

Hooperman1990
October 29th, 2006, 01:10 PM
In SG1 im sure a few challenger II's would have gone down well in the one where Dr. Fraisier dies (anyone remember the episode name?) However the Alkesh's would have been a problem.

Exiled Master
October 29th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Real answer: budget concerns
SG answer: It would be hard to move a tank through the SGC hallways.

V-MAN
October 30th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Real answer: budget concerns
SG answer: It would be hard to move a tank through the SGC hallways.

It would require a whole new command base built around the stargate with an enormous room for the gate to sit in, then there's the trouble of fitting armoured vehicles through the gate. Some APCs might manage it but MBTs no way.

Milleniumlance
October 30th, 2006, 09:34 PM
answer is ......mobile suits!!!!!!!!
POWER ARMOR....

November 1st, 2006, 02:37 AM
Tanks would be good if really overkill. Even the heavier staff cannons mounted on gliders and tripods would not be able to effectively stop it. Look at the size of the blasts from those staff cannons. Tanks are designed to withstand significantly more abuse than that.

All of that being said, though, I really don't think a tank fits with the MO of the SGC. Plus, as noted, except for special rare occasions there is not much need for it since jaffa don't really use armored vehicles or heavy fortifications. On the occasions where there IS that need, it can often be served just as well with missiles fired throught he gate from the SGC. Even a much lighter vehicle, such as a humvee armored with the plate they developed for body armor against staff blasts, would be more than sufficient for dealing with the types of things we typically encounter going through the gate.

However ultra light vehicles such as bikes and ATVs especially would be EXTREMELY useful to the SGC in the types of roles they typically take. With an ATV you could also mount a .50 cal machine gun to the back for some heavier firepower and could tow a trailer besides. Sure, you could use a FRED but they're slow. A trailer pulled behind an ATV would likely let you get around much faster than that.

hotshotalpha1
November 2nd, 2006, 08:51 AM
Tanks would be good if really overkill. Even the heavier staff cannons mounted on gliders and tripods would not be able to effectively stop it. Look at the size of the blasts from those staff cannons. Tanks are designed to withstand significantly more abuse than that.

All of that being said, though, I really don't think a tank fits with the MO of the SGC. Plus, as noted, except for special rare occasions there is not much need for it since jaffa don't really use armored vehicles or heavy fortifications. On the occasions where there IS that need, it can often be served just as well with missiles fired throught he gate from the SGC. Even a much lighter vehicle, such as a humvee armored with the plate they developed for body armor against staff blasts, would be more than sufficient for dealing with the types of things we typically encounter going through the gate.

However ultra light vehicles such as bikes and ATVs especially would be EXTREMELY useful to the SGC in the types of roles they typically take. With an ATV you could also mount a .50 cal machine gun to the back for some heavier firepower and could tow a trailer besides. Sure, you could use a FRED but they're slow. A trailer pulled behind an ATV would likely let you get around much faster than that.

For the light 'tanks' the british paras use something called a Supercat Atv to transport the heavy weapons . It can carry 2 7.62mm GPMGs or a 81mm mortar or a javilin missile system . It can travel at about 130KPH on road, and is fully amphibous.Without the weapons it can carry about 10 infantry.Its 3.4m long and 2.1m wide.I also believe that the paras and marines are now using a smaller platform called the roush , that weight about 800kg. That could easily carry a heavy weapon .Also a land rover or humvee could easily tow the 105mm light gun . This is a light artillery system that could easily fit through the gate. Also landrovers, humvees and 4 ton trucks could all be used as heavy weapon carryiers.A landie will fit at least 2 of GPMG, 50 call, 81mm mortar, javalin , stinger, 30mm cannon and with enimies such as the ori on the ground in our galaxy , the SGC needs some thing more than just some infantry to defeat them without huge casulites.

To house the new armour would be easy enough, you get a deserted planet with a gate. Add an iris, command centre and some sheds to house the vehicles and there you are.

hotshotalpha1
November 2nd, 2006, 09:05 AM

I might be wrong but isn't the furthest confirmed kill by a tank on a tank, held by the Challenger 2 with something like 3210m in iraq. just thought i'd say if your on the subject of tank rivialry. O ye, the tanks cannot fire guided munitions out to 8 km. The russians are the only country to try this apart from the (165mm gun/ missile on the sheriden) and their max range was 3500m . Heavy mortars or Howizers could and can lauch guided munition, because they can fire indirectly, such as the swedish AMOS - 8.4Km guided, and the excalibur guided munition- 50 km guided.Also anyone with infa-red goggles can see a M-1 from up to 1000m

November 3rd, 2006, 04:04 AM
Well if you wanna just talk about big (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_class_battleship#Armament) guns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16-50_Mark_7), let's talk about the Iowa Class battleships (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_class_battleship), shall we? :-)

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j75/Avatar28/800px-Uss_iowa_bb-61_pr.jpg

Note the concussive effects of the blast on the water.

Hong3103
November 7th, 2006, 08:53 PM
SGC/Cheyenne Mountain Complex is bit cramped for any kind of vehicles... and it would cost MGM money to operate and maintain these vehicles for use in production.

If the Humvees were upgraded with a naquadah power generator in place of a diesel engine, energy absorant armor plating or shields, and energy based weapons, a cloaking field, we definelty got something to work with but will it fit throught the Stargate. Maybe a supped-up meaner PJ...

The perfect vehicle would the be one the Marine Corps already has and uses with great effectiveness, the LAV-25.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/lav-25-dvic371.jpg
It is smaller than the Stryker (which is a death trap) and has a 25mm chain gun in its turret and can mount two TOW missles beside it. There are air defense varriants as well as mortar, ambulance, command, recovery. You name it and the LAV-25 can do it. Another big plus is since it is a Marine Corps vehicle it is totally amphibious. It can go 65 miles an hour over land and carry 9 fully equipped infantry Marines in the back. I think it would be the best solution seeing as how the Marine Corps is the most involved service in the SG program next to the Air Force and it is a vehicle they already have at there disposal. On a side note I am a US Marine infantryman and I have seen more than a handful of strikers on the side of the road in flames. We got to calling them 8 wheel coffins they got blown up so much.

Aren't the US marines currently holding 8 or 9 men on completely unfounded charges and who now have less rights than our sworn enemies, the terrorist who are being held?
just a heads up, the USMC is not perfect.

True, the Marine Corp isn't perfect but neither is the Army. When it comes to Light Infantry tactics we've got it down cold. Its the Marine Corp's meat and potatoes and has been since day one and now the Army is doing the same thing. Their Stryker brigades are doing what Marine Corp infantry normally train for. I'm not saying what the Army is doing is wrong or bad. They follow a different doctrine. Its just that the Corp has been training for that kind of combat for a long time and you shouldn't just discount it. On top of that they've only mentioned Air Force and Marine SG teams.

SGC's 4-man teams operate similar to special forces units they use speed and stealth to accomplish their missions. Tanks would defeat that purpose. I agree that a dune-buggy would help them out quite a bit. But having the option to use some sort of heavy weapons platforms would help out in those really hairy situations... or a supped up PJ.

this may be really really stupid but could it be because
THERE IN THE AIRFORCE

that generally specialises in the "Air"
and uve seen a minitank in that episode of sg1 when shar'e dies

Just because the Air Force runs SGC doesn't mean that the tanks idea hasn't come across Gen.Hammond/O'Neill/Landry's desk. For all we know there are SG teams consisting of Army Special Forces and Navy SEALS. Tanks just gets in the way of how SGC operates. Light, quick, silent, and deadly.

ACharmedAsgard
November 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I think the reason there is no tanks is because they don't really fit into the "Sci Fi" genre, the enemies don't really have their own version of tanks (That we have seen yet) and also because it would make Earth look too primitive.

Energy Weapons and other advanced technology still are seen as 'better' for the majority of sci fi viewers to see in sci fi programmes then standard earth weaponry.

I also agree with the statement about them not fitting through the gate or the SGC

Just my Opinion

ray245
November 10th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Yah right. What about Halo? There's plently of tanks. Also star wars has walkers...since they fit the role of tanks. What about Mechs? There are plently of tanks and armored vehicles in sci-fi. Having tanks are not primitive, just the fact that we did not see ground combat in most sci-fi. Furthermore, Star trek already sucks at ground combat. How often have we see their troops being killed? Those red shirts who can't even shot on the target at short range.

You still need the use of tanks in ground combat...tanks can easily roll over the jaffas with its armor protecting it. The jaffa aren't the best army just becasue they use energy weapons.

Exiled Master
November 10th, 2006, 05:40 AM

Why not put a rack of rockets on that trailer? Or put those rockets on a humvee? The SGC needs some mobile artillery, something that isn't launched through the gate.

Hong3103
November 10th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Yah right. What about Halo? There's plently of tanks. Also star wars has walkers...since they fit the role of tanks. What about Mechs? There are plently of tanks and armored vehicles in sci-fi. Having tanks are not primitive, just the fact that we did not see ground combat in most sci-fi. Furthermore, Star trek already sucks at ground combat. How often have we see their troops being killed? Those red shirts who can't even shot on the target at short range.

You still need the use of tanks in ground combat...tanks can easily roll over the jaffas with its armor protecting it. The jaffa aren't the best army just becasue they use energy weapons.

Halo & Star Wars have one thing in common. A standing regular army(that generally consists of 1 or more divisions). SGC doesn't have a large standing army. The SGC has what... 15, 20, 25. If you go with standard number of people per team that stands somewhere around 100 special forces trained people. That's about the size of a company. Throw in the rest of the support personnel that are miltary and basically trained to use weapons and you probably have a regiment or brigade of military personnel at most. A brigade is around 4000 people.

You're right about the Jaffa not being the best army because of their weaponry. They mainly fought other Jaffas, policing their "God's" worlds, or putting down human rebellions. Humans that were relatively unarmed and had no training. So they had it easy till they encountered SG-1 but it didn't help that the script kept saying that SG-1 was suppose to win either. :rolleyes:

shaggy
March 4th, 2008, 05:10 PM
You're right about the Jaffa not being the best army because of their weaponry. They mainly fought other Jaffas, policing their "God's" worlds, or putting down human rebellions. Humans that were relatively unarmed and had no training. So they had it easy till they encountered SG-1 but it didn't help that the script kept saying that SG-1 was suppose to win either. :rolleyes:
I would agree with Jaffa and human conflict except that is probably what the British though about the 'Americans' a few hundred year ago.
The SGC does ned some type of small landbase craft. Soemthing like a bike of four-wheeler. You can can plenty of firepower and ammo on one as well.:cool:

Durgia
March 4th, 2008, 07:03 PM
personally I would rather see them make some stripped down version of the puddle jumper. We have a few spares around (or could get a few from the Tower)

If it would be possible to make a fold out hatch on the side of the craft, some medium caliber guns could be mounted on a turret inside.

We know it can be converted to cloak or shield and is insanely maneuverable. It also has drones for anti-ship/ installation fire. It would be perfect for escort or S&R.

We could make an ambulance version and a couple gunship suppression units as described above.

If a team calls in for support the ambulance can stay cloaked while the shielded gunship jumpers go in and take down ground forces allowing the extraction.

Some missions the gunships may want to stay cloaked and shadow the team, if something happens they could stay cloaked and lay down cover fire allowing a safe retreat.

jonos101
March 4th, 2008, 11:13 PM
the anwser.......... the M12 LAV "Warthog". i like to call it the Puma

RepliVeggie
March 5th, 2008, 12:09 AM
3 Shots from a Zat and the tank is gone.

Mister Oragahn
March 5th, 2008, 11:09 AM
There's been several threads about that, and anything the SGC would need is an armoured troop transport, with the ability to deal with aircrafts.
Such vehicles do exist, and I think it's been shown they could fit through stargates.
But they could only be sent from alpha site, and thus it would be problematic to send SG teams from the SGC. You'd need a coordination between three planets.

FN-P90
March 5th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I think they would be useful only in full scale assults and nothing else. Your not going to need them if your just exploring. But all in all they wpould have helped int the war with the Ori.

jonos101
March 5th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Grif: Simmons... get the warthog.
Simmons: dont you mean the puma

Lord batchi ball
March 5th, 2008, 07:44 PM
At the moment I can think of only one reason you would need a ground attack vehicle. That is to assault a fortified enemy position. I you had a ship in orbit one would just call in a strike but if not then you would need the vehicle. Now if the enemy had a ship in orbit there would be no way to assault the position. So.... I really don't see a need for it.

Maedhros_Sea
March 5th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I don't think the the armor on tanks is conductive, so the Zat might not be so effective. Aren't ceramics insulaters?

Putting a Bradlely or Stryker through the gate would be alot of work. A few Humvees would offer mobility, and potentially an anti-air surprise. Small enough it might go unnoticed. You wouldn't need it right on the firing line to use anti air missiles. Rail guns need a big power source.

The point of course is to restrict the enemies use of air power and introduce an unknown element.

Detox
March 5th, 2008, 10:15 PM
What's the point of storing tanks on a 304? If you have a 304 supporting you somewhere, why would you need the tanks?!

If the SG teams need an extraction, just beam them up. If they need fire support, either send down 302s, or fire a few nukes and railguns.

Not to mention tanks are NOT good against infantry in enclosed areas, and as we've seen, most of the planets are covered with forests, or terrain that's not suitable for amoured vehicles. They're just useless and cumbersome.

tauriprivatesoldier
March 6th, 2008, 03:45 AM
depends if the tank is normal earth tech or has alien tech grafted on it.

If its normal earth tech, it eats a lot of fuel and requires a lot of logistical support.

HunGripen
March 6th, 2008, 07:56 AM
If the SG teams need an extraction, just beam them up. If they need fire support, either send down 302s, or fire a few nukes and railguns.

People always saying this. We have aircrafts nowadays and we still need tanks. You can't use fighters/bombers or bombardment(e.g.:from orbit) in every situation. The armored vechicles are very important in modern warfare. It have a better fire power and armory, so it can support the infranties. You can't always send a spaceship to support every ground unit.And of course it's cheaper than shooting from orbit.

Not to mention tanks are NOT good against infantry in enclosed areas, and as we've seen, most of the planets are covered with forests, or terrain that's not suitable for amoured vehicles. They're just useless and cumbersome.

There are APCs which are perfect for this purpose.

I think the real reason of this what I wrote a hundred times before is the budget.

shaggy
March 30th, 2008, 02:59 PM
A full on assult is not going to happen with overwelming firepower fro ships above. They need fast and individaul machines, soemthing like the Hyanide.
Visit: http://hyanide.info/

Bodmanbod
March 30th, 2008, 05:29 PM
sorry but i fail to see why you think something stuck on the ground is a good idea... remember we can build spaceships etc... (things that fly) duh

something that fits though the gate, has a shield and as some sort of ion drive propulsion that enabled it to hover, deal with water, rough terrain or fly if nessacary (similar to a PJ but more for combat) and equipped with some decent advanced weaponry. Now building something which uses drones is probably beyond us and tbh anything that fits through the gate couldnt mount asgard beams or rail guns due to the size (you'd want to transport troops) but im sure we could backward engineir gould staffs (heck even make them more accurate and higher powered).

from what i see we need 3 things:

1. a stealth ship that fits through the gate and can transport troops, this is called a puddle jumper.

2. an armoured ship that fits through the gate designed for supporting troops in combat, holding positions, transporting troops etc.

3. fighters that are deployable through the gate already at high speed (like darts) for swarming enemy ships in the atmosphere or in orbit.

Rudy Pena
March 30th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I'd go with a Stinger SAM launcher for air defense. At least, if sending a unit of vehicles through a gate, include an Avenger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1097_Avenger) in the bunch. It's missiles can intercept enemy aircraft a couple miles out (drop 'em before they're close enough to attack), and has a .50-cal for closer work.Well, theres a few problems with the Avengers. For one they only have 8 missiles and it takes the TC and the Gunner to reload them. And the .50 Cal has only 200 rounds to work with. But if we use the ones we are using in Iraq which is modified ones with carries 600 or 800 rounds for the .50 Cal, but the down side is it ony has 1 missile pod so it can only carry 4 missiles.

Ouroboros
March 31st, 2008, 06:56 AM
For all the talk of tanks and everything to it's worth mentioning that just some sort of small Jeep type vehicle with a mounted machinegun would be a world of help just for getting around and transporting materials.

Having an actual belt fed machine gun would be a big help against the disorganized human waves that represent the cutting edge of everyone elses advanced space age military doctrine to.

Some sort of jeep or even a halftrack type design would work well. It doesn't have to be very heavily armoured even because it's not exactly like the other guys are loaded for bear with viable AT weapons.

Dr Lee
March 31st, 2008, 07:07 AM
The main reason why we've not seen tanks or the like in SG is because fo the budget the show gets.

But if they got the chance to get land vehicles in the show and they use them trough the gate, i would have to say they should just use ATV's or dirt bikes. Both are capable of traversing the SGC corridors.

Sealurk
March 31st, 2008, 03:22 PM
For all the talk of tanks and everything to it's worth mentioning that just some sort of small Jeep type vehicle with a mounted machinegun would be a world of help just for getting around and transporting materials.

Having an actual belt fed machine gun would be a big help against the disorganized human waves that represent the cutting edge of everyone elses advanced space age military doctrine to.

Some sort of jeep or even a halftrack type design would work well. It doesn't have to be very heavily armoured even because it's not exactly like the other guys are loaded for bear with viable AT weapons.

So...how about a land rover with an M134 Minigun on a turret and a few thousand rounds of 7.62mm in the back, or more in a trailer? Like you said, the SGC and Earth in general seem to be the exception rather than the rule when it comes to tactical, stealthy, well-thought out and minimalist infantry use. Every other major power chooses the Wall of Cannon Fodder / Zap Branigan approach: a) get the enemy tired of killing by sending thousands of men to their death and / or b) clog the enemy's territory and line of sight with corpses...see a).

So the SGC's logical answer would be to use an existing vehicle. After all, 304s aren't cheap, so naquadah-powered hovering cloaked shielded stealth tanks with rail guns and energy weapons aren't going to be high on the list of priorities when an existing, cheap, low-tech vehicle would do much the same job without costing the same as a Stealth Bomber...fleet.

Something like a humvee or land rover, with a little bit of armour (nothing fancy, just easily replaced/recycled ablative metal plate covered in insulating cloth) and a rotary cannon with a huge ammo hopper? Even a single barrel machine gun, like a GPMG would work. Two would be even better, one either side but sharing the same ammo so if one does get taken out, the other has full access to the remaining ammo. Something like this could easily provide anti-infantry support, and when the ammo runs out...ori road-kill anyone?

Other variants (or even the same vehicle with different plug-in modules) could be equipped with mortars and 40mm auto-grenade launchers (face it, no Stargate ground engagement has taken place at distances where a mortar wouldn't be damned useful, and shooting a belt of fragmentation grenades into the tightly packed rabble of an Ori task force is just too tempting to pass up).

Then you could have the all-important anti-air, which could be like a scaled down version of a naval vertical launch system. Basically a jeep with the back filled with upwards pointing tubes that fire something like the British Starstreak then drives off once the tubes are empty.

Then there's anti-armour. Though no enemy force has really been seen using armour, low flying, relatively slow and heavily shielded/armoured craft like Alkesh might count, especially when landed...and a few hummvees with TOW or hellfire launchers, or something similar might do a little damage to a landed Hatak (assuming shields down).

And a land rover or hummvee style vehicle would also have an impact on planetary exploration, making long treks a lot simpler, and long stays a bit more comfortable (all the supplies you could store, a power source, heavy mounted weapons and a good comms system if needed).

But, as ever, its the show's budget that has the last word.

Xzyl
March 31st, 2008, 07:14 PM
It could be doable if the show went the dune buggy route. Considering the number of dune buggy manufactures and that its mostly a consumer market could they not make a deal with one of them. Its not like other shows don't do similar with a "(Product) provided by (manufactier)" blurb durring or in the credits.

Cloudmaster101
March 31st, 2008, 08:35 PM
waste of money lol, but it's a good suggestion of why theres no tanks.

Ouroboros
April 1st, 2008, 01:36 AM
So...how about a land rover with an M134 Minigun on a turret and a few thousand rounds of 7.62mm in the back, or more in a trailer? Like you said, the SGC and Earth in general seem to be the exception rather than the rule when it comes to tactical, stealthy, well-thought out and minimalist infantry use. Every other major power chooses the Wall of Cannon Fodder / Zap Branigan approach: a) get the enemy tired of killing by sending thousands of men to their death and / or b) clog the enemy's territory and line of sight with corpses...see a).

A minigun's a bit overkill for these poor saps. Just borrow an M240 off an Abrams, fill the backseat with ammo boxes, and away we go.

So the SGC's logical answer would be to use an existing vehicle. After all, 304s aren't cheap, so naquadah-powered hovering cloaked shielded stealth tanks with rail guns and energy weapons aren't going to be high on the list of priorities when an existing, cheap, low-tech vehicle would do much the same job without costing the same as a Stealth Bomber...fleet.

I agree about 900% with you here. You need fancy dancy weapons tech here about as much as you'd need fancy dancy weapons tech to swat a fly. Their ground armies are so inept just riding around in unarmed humvees and shooting out the windows would probably already be more than they were prepared to handle.

Something like a humvee or land rover, with a little bit of armour (nothing fancy, just easily replaced/recycled ablative metal plate covered in insulating cloth) and a rotary cannon with a huge ammo hopper? Even a single barrel machine gun, like a GPMG would work. Two would be even better, one either side but sharing the same ammo so if one does get taken out, the other has full access to the remaining ammo. Something like this could easily provide anti-infantry support, and when the ammo runs out...ori road-kill anyone?

Again, exactly what I'm thinking. Just keep it simple, there's no need for anything more complex. More complex and "advanced" just invites extra complication and expense into the idea.

Other variants (or even the same vehicle with different plug-in modules) could be equipped with mortars and 40mm auto-grenade launchers (face it, no Stargate ground engagement has taken place at distances where a mortar wouldn't be damned useful, and shooting a belt of fragmentation grenades into the tightly packed rabble of an Ori task force is just too tempting to pass up).

Don't forget an optional vehicle scale flame thrower, you know just for fun, and to help all those farm people with some quick deforestation.:D

But, as ever, its the show's budget that has the last word.

I wonder about that to. How much, relative to actuals how budget, could it really cost to buy an old milsurp humvee? Once you've bought a few of them you'll never need to spend that money again either. Hell you could even by non running ones on the cheap to use just for set pieces and maybe only 1 or 2 that were actually driveable.

Sealurk
April 1st, 2008, 11:36 AM
Don't forget an optional vehicle scale flame thrower, you know just for fun, and to help all those farm people with some quick deforestation.:D

Oh, nice touch!

"Hallowed are the Ori! Death to unbelievers!"
VROOOOOOSH
"Putitoutputitoutputitoutputitoutputitout!!!!".

Ahem, sorry.

Of course, it just takes one stray staff blast to say goodbye to your fuel source...and anybody within twenty or so metres. Probably better as a remote controlled weapon...viewed from a remote distance.

As for seeing them in the show or any more SG-1 films...I'd bet that had the earlier SG1 seasons had a bigger budget, they might well have featured, back when the series was slightly more grounded in reality (or as grounded in reality as a show about evil aliens posing as gods and a transgalactic subway system can be) and they needed to do a major battle scene. With Stargate the way it is now, I think TPTB probably would opt for a cloaked, shielded, hovering, railgun-boasting trinium-hulled naquadah powered tank.

Vehicles would also have another use that'd make them well worth deploying through the gate - cover. Imagine SG teams under heavy fire, massively outgunned and outnumbered, and the gate's surrounded, but Earth has dialled in. Three tonnes of steel and firepower roars through the gate, with machine guns and grenade launchers spewing death, staff blasts being absorbed by steel plate. The heavy firepower alone would be very useful, but even if the jeep gets trashed, the guns run out of ammo, there should still be a nice chunk of twisted steel for an SG team to hide behind. And having to buy a load of replacement hummvees or land rovers is way preferable to replacement SG teams.

marty2006
April 1st, 2008, 11:46 AM
Lol id imagine because you cant use them in space nor fit them through a stargate, also the fact its the air force they dont use them and flying tanks dont exsist.

PrioroftheOri
April 1st, 2008, 04:58 PM
^oh but flying tanks do exist, or could exist. i'm sure area 51 has something like that that they are testing out.:)

Sealurk
April 1st, 2008, 11:00 PM
^oh but flying tanks do exist, or could exist. i'm sure area 51 has something like that that they are testing out.:)

Well, there was this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_A-40

and this might be of interest...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_tank

I can't quite see the SGC fielding anything like this, though. Light, fast vehicles are far more likely.

Ouroboros
April 2nd, 2008, 12:59 AM
Oh, nice touch!

"Hallowed are the Ori! Death to unbelievers!"
VROOOOOOSH
"Putitoutputitoutputitoutputitoutputitout!!!!".

Ahem, sorry.

Of course, it just takes one stray staff blast to say goodbye to your fuel source...and anybody within twenty or so metres. Probably better as a remote controlled weapon...viewed from a remote distance.

Oh no, you can just build the fuel tanks inside the hull and armour the crap out of it. The only thing exposed on the outside is just a regular looking gun until.

Surprise!
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/84/marineflametank1968iv4.jpg

Bray
April 2nd, 2008, 02:57 AM
Don't know if anyone has said this before, but I think the Mirage Tank from C&C Red Alert 2 would fit perfectly in the gate :D

Just imagine the Jaffa's surprise when a forest suddenly starts shooting at them :D

Mister Oragahn
April 3rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
I wonder about that to. How much, relative to actuals how budget, could it really cost to buy an old milsurp humvee? Once you've bought a few of them you'll never need to spend that money again either. Hell you could even by non running ones on the cheap to use just for set pieces and maybe only 1 or 2 that were actually driveable.

S'ry, but makeup takes the ticket.

Davesg-43
April 5th, 2008, 11:16 PM

Thoughts anyone?One they don't fit through the stargate. Two then we would just own all of our enemies. Three How would we bring it fuel
those things get horrible MPG.

titan_hq
April 6th, 2008, 04:11 AM
One they don't fit through the stargate. Two then we would just own all of our enemies. Three How would we bring it fuel
those things get horrible MPG.

1) design a new tank that can fit through the gate
2) maybe, tanks still need to be supported by troops, and would take too long to deploy in some cases.
3) Naquadah....

Womble
April 6th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Full on main battletanks probably wouldn't be necessary. Modern tanks generally concern themselves with attacking other modern tanks and fortifications, nothing the SG enemies really have a lot of.
Actually, the primary role of tanks nowadays is anti-fortification and close-in infantry support, with many new models built with urban warfare in mind. The most shining example of that are the Israeli Merkava tanks, built to double as APCs. Tank-to-tank combat has been largely rendered obsolete by the ATGMs and air force. A kinetic cannon is just about the least effective way of engaging an enemy tank right now.

On the other hand, if shields can be installed on a vehicle, it would render a classic MBT obsolete, and one could get the same about of protection from an open-top sports car.

barneyteal'c
April 6th, 2008, 03:59 PM
What I'm thinking about would be a short-range tactical fighter (like F-18A or stuff like that). The weaknesof Goa-uld Death Gliders and Wraith Darts are that thay have no fire and forget launching system. Also, They seem pretty slow, only travelling at 300 or 400 MPH. Their form of attack is a direct energy weapon. A single hit has medium damage, but it's almost impossible to get a hit, especially, in a combat situation. Their shots also seem to move much slower than missles or bullets. They also can dissapate into nothing after a while. The earth missles ( maybe 1-foot to 1.4 feet), however, can be held in disposable 3-missle pods, 4 on each wing.

barneyteal'c
April 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Tanks move much too slow( 50- 90 MPH). A well-trained pilot of drone cloud is still the best way to go. Remember, Stargate is about 'teams' (4-5 people) who go and do cool stuff. A tank would be too slow for their hit n' run raids.

Ouroboros
April 6th, 2008, 08:29 PM
S'ry, but makeup takes the ticket.

Yes, more wigs for Teyla! She musn't be permitted to look good!

Actually, the primary role of tanks nowadays is anti-fortification and close-in infantry support, with many new models built with urban warfare in mind. The most shining example of that are the Israeli Merkava tanks, built to double as APCs. Tank-to-tank combat has been largely rendered obsolete by the ATGMs and air force. A kinetic cannon is just about the least effective way of engaging an enemy tank right now.

Yes and no I'd say. It's true now that tanks are being used mostly in the role you described, because there are really no enemy tanks to engage with them, but most of the modern generation in use now was designed to combat other tanks. The Merkava is an exception, designed more for urban wafare.

You wouldn't really need anything that heavy to go against typical gateverse enemies though.

On the other hand, if shields can be installed on a vehicle, it would render a classic MBT obsolete, and one could get the same about of protection from an open-top sports car.

It would depend on a lot of things, how large a power source the shields would need and how effective they would be on that scale compared to armour. I'd be interested to see how shields would function against things like mines as well. You can't put them under the entire vehicle because then your wheels/tracks won't be in contact with the ground anymore. Hovertank maybe?

leeman15251
April 10th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Before a tank, a vehicle capable to shoot down enemy crafts and infantry would be better, since it's the traditionnal targets that SG teams have to deal with.

So some ground-air missiles, a railgun DCA and two anti-infantry guns would be better than a big tank with one freaking big cannon that would be pointless in most occasions.

That defender unit would have been useful in many cases. There would have not been so many bloody casualties in Heroes if those vehicles could have been sent through the stargate.

Safe for Lost City. This vehicle would have provided cover for the SG team exploring the ruins and guarding the stargate.

Theorically, they could have also been deployed around the outpost, adding more defense to the fighters.

In Children of the Gods in fact, covering the backs of SG-1 and the civilians, though I can't blame the SGC for not having such unts so early.

Would have been useful in The Enemy Within as well, but again, it was so early in SG that I can excuse this.

Singularity would be another good example.

Let's jump to freshier seasons.

Full Circle would have been a perfect occasion.

Eventually Orpheus when the Goa'uld defenses were porous.

Death Knell. Ok, the gate was lying on its side, but a hovertank would have just been moving through, and once it would be on the other side, it would have simply turned 90°. This might have helped against the Kull warriors.

New Order. To defend Orilla, it would have been easier.

It's Good to be King.

Reckoning Part 2. Would have been of help to repel the replicators with much more ease.

Trouble is that the actual stargate on Earth is located in a base that only authorizes personnel transport.

That is why I figure that in a very close future, the stargate will be moved to another base, one which allow both troops and vehicles to use the stargate.

Technically, Earth could even build hovertanks, considering the ridiculous low space the exotic drives take... and which can even be mounted on missiles!

It would make it too easy. If a tank was there to kill your enemy.

Bray
April 10th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Maybe at first but it wouldn't take long before the enemy started employing a counter measure to reduce it's effectivness.

ijffdrie
April 10th, 2008, 07:06 AM
tanks come in handy during greater battles, which if i may remind you, did not appear untill heroes, and since the tau'ri tech sucked around that time, they would probably think that their tech would be no match, and since they didnt find tank tech in other worlds, they would probably have a psycholigical block from using tanks

Bray
April 10th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Man imagine the little medieval villagers if a couple of Challenger II tanks just rolled into their Hamlet instead of just 4 guys looking weird turning up :D

ijffdrie
April 10th, 2008, 08:05 AM
ill quote from my fantasy

AARGH OHMYTHOR the ethons have arrived, oh might thor protect us!!!

Sealurk
April 10th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Man imagine the little medieval villagers if a couple of Challenger II tanks just rolled into their Hamlet instead of just 4 guys looking weird turning up :D

What medieval villagers? The ones who turn into greasy red smears because they got too close trying to appease the new thunder-god (with sacred chobham armour), or the ones that disappear, screaming hysterically about the end of the world? okay, you're right, that would make a good episode!!

Even worse would be when the SG team leave the tank, and the medieval villagers decide to jump in.

Bray
April 11th, 2008, 02:48 AM
The first ever tank jacking :D

DarthNick
April 11th, 2008, 06:15 AM
i wonder what kind of remarks O'neill would make!

Bray
April 11th, 2008, 06:19 AM
:jack_new_anime05:........
:samanime24:........

:jack: I told you not to park in this Neighbourhood, it's a bad as Coventry!

:tealc: Indeed

Aewon
April 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I'd like to see the SGC fighting a Blitz War against the Goa'uld.:tealc39: Actually, it would be possible. They could establish an off-world base where they build tank and 302 factories. Of course, the tanks would need to be small in order to fit through the Stargate.

FN-P90
March 15th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Ok i was thinking about writing something for the Virtual Fleet (See link in sig for details) and the whole thing is gona be a land operation, like i mean a MASSIVE invasion and at first i need a transport ship to drop this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stryker

BUT upon actully reading the article i realized tha it might can go threw the gate, if its width is 2.72 meters, and its heigth is 2.64 meters then shouldnt it be able to go threw the gate which is 6.7 meter in diameter? I really dont know if it can im just asking can it.

mkb441
March 16th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I'd like to see the SGC fighting a Blitz War against the Goa'uld.:tealc39: Actually, it would be possible. They could establish an off-world base where they build tank and 302 factories. Of course, the tanks would need to be small in order to fit through the Stargate.

well a average tank is a little smaller than a jumper

Laxian of Earth
March 18th, 2009, 06:06 AM
The humvee is a good option.

The Stryker is a also a good option.

I think we all agree that some anti tank heavy unit is unnecessary. Now, it doesn't mean that missiles about to shoot down tanks aren't necessary. Goa'uld, like Ori, come with vehicles that requires tough guided ordinance to be destroyed.

That's why I believe we should have vehicle that must have the following weapons:

- TOW missile launcher turret or railgun turret.
- 1 anti-infantry heavy gun.

The Stryker is neat because like a Bradley, you can transport troops inside an armoured vehicle, that is fast enough to evade enemy formations, bring reinforcements and else.

Unfortunately, I can't see what type of vehicle could combine both a railgun and even one or two TOW missiles.

Technically, if Earth could retro engineer one of those probes sent by Anubis, or a karakesh (ribbon device), we could start thinking about mounting shields on light vehicles.
As I said, we can already mount inertial dampeners on missiles or on ships of the size of a F-302.

The vehicle would have to be fairly long, and designed to fit in a stargate.

Maybe we can't send them from the SGC, but we could send them from an alpha base specifically designed to suit such needs. After all, there already are trucks on alpha base, already transported by our spacecarriers. So it's perfectly reasonable to have an alpha base serve as a main hangar.

Shielded and armored hovertank all the way I say, with eventually four or six deployable wheels if necessary. It's about damn time we get those rolling out of the factories.

agreed :) (wheels and "normal" propulsion for situation your asgard tech and stuff does not work (teams have encountered dampening fields before) and hovering (with the option to really fly - like a jumper) for normal movement (a cloak would be a nice touch, too....i like the idea of surrounding the enemy with armed tanks and then decloaking them *smiles evily")...

greetings LAX
ps: for armament i would go with missiles and energy weapons (in order not to have finite ammunition as a problem)....

Laxian of Earth
March 18th, 2009, 06:26 AM
i think you could fit vehicles through the gate without a problem, the problem would be you coudn't get things like Tanks into the gate room.

the SGC probably has a cargo elevator for large equipment and that could be used for motorbikes or quads but unless there was a stargate outside, there is no way larger things like tanks or jeeps could fit through the corriders and the doors to get to the gate room

not a problem (at least not anymore) put a homing/locator-beacon on it and beam it to the gateroom (would work even without the beacon - we have asgard sensors now)

greetings LAX
ps: i think they don't have those because of:

A plot hole (the budget for the show may not have been large enough...) because such vehicles (humvee or other - with SG-Upgrades (or better: SGC made)) would have been pretty usefull (from the first season on - first episode even...they could have held the Jaffa off much better with the .50 cal a humvee has (some even have a grenade launcher....jaffa would have been toast) and with stinger missiles (or similar) installed on such a vehicle gliders would not really be a problem...they could have downed the attack vehicle (normal gliders don't have rings so that was not really a glider) that chased SG-1 and the refuges much earlier (they could have approached them and covered them (like good old cavalery))

Spimman
March 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Why use tanks when we can use Jumpers? Since Atlantis has a bay of Jumpers why haven't a few been brought back to Earth?

Spimman
March 18th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I'm concerned about how far they have to walk in these towns. I am officially proposing the use of off-road Segways by the SGC.

http://www.eventive1986.co.uk/images/segway-off-road.gif

Commander Aegir
March 18th, 2009, 02:15 PM
they'd be too easy a target for gliders and wraith darts. They'd be better wth modified MALPS with 50 Cals. on them

Crazedwraith
March 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM
they'd be too easy a target for gliders and wraith darts. They'd be better wth modified MALPS with 50 Cals. on them

They have those. We saw one in "Forever in an Eye" in season three. (I think that's the title. The one where Sha're dies)

Yes, tanks are good in a pitched battle but pitched battles are not what Sg teams are supposed to be about. They're recon team. You don't need tanks just to go take a look see at some primitive village.

FN-P90
March 18th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Why use tanks when we can use Jumpers? Since Atlantis has a bay of Jumpers why haven't a few been brought back to Earth?

The problem with that is we have alimited number. With vehicles like Humvees or the Strykers we have for all intinsive purposes a HUGE amount that we can expend.

Grounders10
May 27th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Call me late to the party but did anyone actually DO any research on this? ALL ground vehicles in the US army and US Marine arsenals can fit through the gate, in most cases by at least a full meter. As for effectiveness of goa'uld weaponry on them. A death glider can get knocked out of the sky by a stinger missile. An alkesh can be taken down by your average air to air missile, two if your unlucky. While they do make a nice explosion the weapons on death gliders are not accurate in the least. Frankly the risk of a bigger target is worth the firepower an uparmoured humvee could bring, especially in rapid response when an SG team needs back-up. On the issue of how to get them TO the gate. They can build a secret underground shipyard that churns out the BC-303 and BC-304, but they can't build a facility specifically for stargate operations? Including the space required to service, maintain, and deploy vehicles? They could. In the end the reason there were no vehicles is simple. They didn't have the budget, and frankly later on it probably never occured to the writers.

monstar688
May 28th, 2013, 07:20 AM
ALL ground vehicles in the US army and US Marine arsenals can fit through the gate, in most cases by at least a full meter. As for effectiveness of goa'uld weaponry on them. A death glider can get knocked out of the sky by a stinger missile. An alkesh can be taken down by your average air to air missile, two if your unlucky. While they do make a nice explosion the weapons on death gliders are not accurate in the least. Frankly the risk of a bigger target is worth the firepower an uparmoured humvee could bring, especially in rapid response when an SG team needs back-up.

agreed!

monstar688
May 28th, 2013, 07:22 AM
not a problem (at least not anymore) put a homing/locator-beacon on it and beam it to the gateroom (would work even without the beacon - we have asgard sensors now)

lol i like this. it could work

mjwalshe
June 21st, 2013, 03:39 PM
Big? Yes. Slow and almost stationary? You are aware it isn't 1916 anymore, right? The maximum cross-country speed of a M1 is 30 mph, and lighter armored vehicles such as those in the Mowag Piranha family (Stryker and LAV-25, for example) can go even faster. Of course you lose some surprise when they can see and/or hear you coming, but armored vehicles offer the firepower advantage.

Also, the majority of planets that we've seen are covered in trees because the majority of planets that we've seen are back lots in Vancouver.

30 is the claimed top speed from some i know even back in the 70's the previous generation of MBT's could go a lot faster. He was over taken by a Chieftain going a lot faster than 30.

mjwalshe
June 21st, 2013, 03:45 PM
It could be doable if the show went the dune buggy route. Considering the number of dune buggy manufactures and that its mostly a consumer market could they not make a deal with one of them. Its not like other shows don't do similar with a "(Product) provided by (manufactier)" blurb durring or in the credits.

They found that the dune buggys didnt work so well in deasert storm. A SG team based around the LRDG would be one option using 4x4 and 6x6 Supercat's - hmm you could have done an stargate episode based on Ice cold in alex team has to cross desert with the one remaining truck but is the tokra they pick up realy who he seems :-)

Lt.UrsulaKenmore
June 22nd, 2013, 05:25 PM
All this big vehicle or smaller vehicle firepower sounds great, but I think one of the biggest assets to the gate program in both galaxies is that no one knows what our tech is exactly. And every time they think they've got us pinned, we bring something new into the fray. While bringing in tanks or Humvees sounds great, I kind of like that our own little used tech is the exact element of surprise that catches the bad guys offguard. And because we use it so rarely if at all really, that ever lingering element of potential surprise does hold some sway in battle. It'll always make them think twice and think we're a lot more powerful than we might actually be against them.

Like the weirdest game of poker ever:
"I'll see your death gliders and raise you an F-302."
"I'll see your F-302 and raise you an advanced super-sized Ha'tak."
"I'll see your super Ha'tak with the Prometheus." etc.

mjwalshe
June 24th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Well I always figured that if they 'really' needed larger vehicles that they could use the same loading crane they used to bring in and take out the Stargate high atop Cheyenne Mountain.

But I think that the premise is that each or most of the SG teams are recon teams. Now each team can be outfitted with different gear for different missions but if you're going in hot it doesn't make sense to try and ship an Apache or Hind that would have to be set up on the other side. ATV's and the like make WAY too much noise for a recon mission, not to mention the fear they may invoke in the locals which is something you don't want if you are trying to align yourselves with human decendants.

When it comes to recon the best thing to use is human teams.

When it comes to going into a warzone, you want something to come out of that gate moving. Such as a puddle jumper or one of those 'thread the needle' ships. Hmm, don't know if the X-302's could be modified or not but they might work if they could fit through the gate while moving. I'm not sure of the wingspan of a F-18 or F-16 but with them they are flight tested for our atmospher, doesn't mean they will work exactly the same in other atmospheres. Just because it is breathable to humans doesn't mean that the upper atmosphere would have the same densities as our own. Of course even then the Death Gliders could get higher and come in from above, a perfect attack posture to come in high on your targets six.

Now, . . . what about sending a team through with missle or howitzer support . . . we've seen the missle, the howitzer would only work for things in direct line of site with the gate . . . but it's a thought. Hmm, they do make field nukes that fit into a cannon . . .

Dunno, I figure it's just budget and they've yet to write a script where something like that is called for.

Howitzers are fired indirectly > 45 degrees except in desperate circumstances eg 25 pounders in the dessert in ww2 as a last gasp defense against tanks.

StargateMillennium
June 20th, 2014, 10:48 AM
The SGC doesn't necessarily need to focus on fighting vehicles. Their primary goal is exploration. It's usually send a MALP to see if the area is clear and explore a larger territory on foot. Just use a buggy or MULE. Use a MALP or UAV to see if the area is clear then ride the MULE to explore an even larger territory than on foot. I've only seen stargate use vehicles twice: a gun-mounted MULE in Forever in a Day and a Go cart full of equipment in SGA Duet. So they can get vehicles through the gate.