PDA

View Full Version : IGN Exclusive: Stargate SG-1's Future

Jonzey
September 25th, 2006, 04:00 PM
http://tv.ign.com/articles/735/735193p1.html

Pretty much all the cast members told us that, while nothing's definite yet, it sounds like there will be several Stargate TV movies produced after the series ends.

On one hand, I'm happy to get more Stargate. On the other hand, I'm really disappointed because the restraining format a movie will have. Questions will still be unanswered and each movie will have to have a singular story arc with beginning, middle and end.

Still, any SG-1 is better than no SG-1.

morjana
September 25th, 2006, 04:00 PM
From IGN:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Exclusive: Stargate SG-1's Future

We've heard what's going to happen after the tenth season finale.
by IGN Staff

September 25, 2006 - When the SCI FI Channel announced last month that Stargate SG-1 would be ending at the end of the season, there was much speculation as to whether the series would be able to continue in some form. MGM has reportedly been shopping the series around to other networks but there don't appear to be any takers at this time.

**snippage**

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

Jonzey
September 25th, 2006, 04:01 PM
My thread was first :p

PG15
September 25th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I'm really disappointed because the restraining format a movie will have. Questions will still be unanswered and each movie will have to have a singular story arc with beginning, middle and end.

Not necessarily, look at Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.

I can't wait!! :D

MediaSavant
September 25th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Misinformation Watch:

The arrangement sounds similar to when Farscape ended, and plans were announced for several movies to air -- unfortunately only one has aired to date, 2004's Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars.

1.) There were no plans announced by anyone after Farscape ended of several movies to air. In fact, Henson kept its plans pretty much to themselves until PK Wars was going into production. Otherwise, no one ever made any "announcements" about "several TV movies".

2.) PK Wars wasn't a movie. It was a mini-series.

In general, this article over-promised and these writers are prone to exaggeration and inventing "announcements" that don't exist.

prion
September 26th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Misinformation Watch:

1.) There were no plans announced by anyone after Farscape ended of several movies to air. In fact, Henson kept its plans pretty much to themselves until PK Wars was going into production. Otherwise, no one ever made any "announcements" about "several TV movies".

2.) PK Wars wasn't a movie. It was a mini-series.

In general, this article over-promised and these writers are prone to exaggeration and inventing "announcements" that don't exist.

Seemed more like an 'editorial', and i just read 'em and shrug.

Descent
September 26th, 2006, 09:20 AM
On the other hand, I'm really disappointed because the restraining format a movie will have. Questions will still be unanswered and each movie will have to have a singular story arc with beginning, middle and end.

Several movies though. I really like the sound of this news actually.

Samdelfino
September 26th, 2006, 10:40 AM
From IGN:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Exclusive: Stargate SG-1's Future

We've heard what's going to happen after the tenth season finale.
by IGN Staff

September 25, 2006 - When the SCI FI Channel announced last month that Stargate SG-1 would be ending at the end of the season, there was much speculation as to whether the series would be able to continue in some form. MGM has reportedly been shopping the series around to other networks but there don't appear to be any takers at this time.

**snippage**

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

What happened to the earlier news that there were takers but MGM wasn't allowed to shop, because of Sci Fi?

HirogenGater
September 26th, 2006, 11:33 AM
What happened to the earlier news that there were takers but MGM wasn't allowed to shop, because of Sci Fi?

I would like to know this as well.

squeakypants
September 26th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I was just about to post this ;) Hope it's true. Maybe the writers will stop sucking now that they have time to actually, you know, think about the story.

HirogenGater
September 26th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I was just about to post this ;) Hope it's true. Maybe the writers will stop sucking now that they have time to actually, you know, think about the story.
I think the writers are doing just fine. I am really enjoying season 10.

GateLadyM
September 26th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I want to see season 11 and no movies. Do we want to see the "team" once a year for two hours? Or weekly for 20 weeks? Plus people move on and they will never get everyone together again after the first movie.

FoolishPleasure
September 26th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Several movies though. I really like the sound of this news actually.
They will never keep everyone together for "several" movies. One, maybe two will get done and then they will all have other gigs and committments. Acting is their job and they have to work for their families. The actors can't sit and wait around to be available for the "next" Stargate film.

No season 11 is very sad nooz. :(

MediaSavant
September 26th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Considering how they kinda "made up" other things in the article, they may be making up that as well.

This does not seem to be a very reliable new source. Now, if I saw it in a reputable trade magazine like Multi-Channel News, who broke the cancellation to begin with, I'd consider it more seriously.

MediaSavant
September 26th, 2006, 03:10 PM
They will never keep everyone together for "several" movies. One, maybe two will get done and then they will all have other gigs and committments. Acting is their job and they have to work for their families. The actors can't sit and wait around to be available for the "next" Stargate film.

That's not how they'd film them, though. When TNT bought the rerun rights--and later revived the series for a 5th season--for Babylon 5, they initially contracted to do two movies. The movies named "In the Beginning" and "Thirdspace" were produced right after Season 4 production ended. That way, all the cast and crew were already together.

Then, they filmed two more movies the same way after Season 5 production ended.

Producing the movies in succession with little break would be the way they'd do it. They just wouldn't be aired that way. Kinda like how Lord of the Rings Trilogy was filmed in succession, but released years apart.

If they could get their act together, the ideal situation would to film the movies right after the end of this year's filming, but I don't think they have it pulled together. They'd have to be working out the contracts now.

BTW--here's some other trivia about the four Babylon 5 movies. Not every castmember was in every movie. J Michael Strazcinski wrote them that way. Maybe it was for budget reasons or maybe those were just the way he wrote the stories.

Descent
September 26th, 2006, 03:57 PM
What Savant said. Its not like they're very "in demand" anyways these days.

Lida
September 26th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Considering how they kinda "made up" other things in the article, they may be making up that as well.

This does not seem to be a very reliable new source. Now, if I saw it in a reputable trade magazine like Multi-Channel News, who broke the cancellation to begin with, I'd consider it more seriously.

Unfortunately, the word from Vancouver seems to jibe with the IGN reports. The consensus opinion of the cast and crew is that SG-1 will continue, but either as feature or TV movies. I know, it's not what most fans wanted, but it's better than nothing.

Descent
September 26th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Unfortunately, the word from Vancouver seems to jibe with the IGN reports. The consensus opinion of the cast and crew is that SG-1 will continue, but either as feature or TV movies. I know, it's not what most fans wanted, but it's better than nothing.

Hell, I'll take movies over a Season 11 without Daniel.

freyr's mother
September 26th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Personally, I'd like a miniseries if it had to go. That way, at least we get more time. 2hrs once a year sucks no matter how you look at it.

Dromag67
September 26th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Several Stargate "Anything" would make me happy.

FoolishPleasure
September 26th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Someone at savestargate made a post that the "movie" thing is just throwing us a bone to make us shut up. They save money that way. I'd rather have 20 hours vs. 2, or 4, or 6 depending how many films they do.

Exiled Master
September 26th, 2006, 08:02 PM
The only way I would accept feature or TV movies is on a gigantic scale of hype. Take the build up for Snakes on a Plane and the influence of the Matrix and you have a recipe for a continuing series.
*sigh* wishful thinking...

the fifth man
September 26th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Someone at savestargate made a post that the "movie" thing is just throwing us a bone to make us shut up. They save money that way. I'd rather have 20 hours vs. 2, or 4, or 6 depending how many films they do.

Yeah, but how's 2, 4, or 6 hours vs. nothing at all? Personally, I'll take the 2, 4, or 6 hours myself. I'm just happy it appears SG-1 will continue on in some fashion after this season.

majorsal
September 26th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Hell, I'll take movies over a Season 11 without Daniel.

why do you think there'd be no daniel?

sally :)

the fifth man
September 26th, 2006, 09:14 PM

Maybe because some people feel he was ready to leave. Probably based on the fact that he hadn't signed on to do Season 11 for sure like the others had.

Skate Zilla
September 27th, 2006, 04:35 AM
IGN, Ha, You know how many Times IGN has Written Articles and Game Previews Based of Fake Screenshots that were leaked onto the internet by my alone?

Descent
September 27th, 2006, 04:40 AM

Couple reasons
1. Only regular cast member not to sign up for a potential Season 11
2. Him and Lexa already divide their time between Toronto and Vancouver
3. Him and Lexa have plans to move down to LA in the near future.

So I don't think he would've came back as regular if there was a next season.

Oreo
September 27th, 2006, 06:34 AM
See the difference between all you "people" and myself is I rather have 6 great hours without the needless filler than 20 hours in which only a few will be any good.

Plus they could always do five four hour long movies. That would be like a season! Wow!

:rolleyes:

Descent
September 27th, 2006, 06:45 AM
See the difference between all you "people" and myself is I rather have 6 great hours without the needless filler than 20 hours in which only a few will be any good.

Thats the way I feel about it too. I'm tired of filler, especially filler thats not very good.

HirogenGater
September 27th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Well, at least we get something.

Jonzey
September 27th, 2006, 11:38 AM
My problem with movies is that all they can do is continue a certain story arc- like the Ori. No other plots will get resolved. Stuff like a follow-up to crystal skull will in no way be movie-worthy (same with all the other loose ends) so the only way we can see the resolution to those would be if they were written in as part of the movie, which would just be a cheap way to do it.

PG15
September 27th, 2006, 03:54 PM
See the difference between all you "people" and myself is

Was that really necessary?

Descent
September 27th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Was that really necessary?

No but then again "Don't feed the troll" :P

mcbarr
September 27th, 2006, 06:44 PM
SG-1 movies are not a bad idea as long as they introduce a new spin-off series based on Earth...

Oreo
September 27th, 2006, 08:44 PM
My problem with movies is that all they can do is continue a certain story arc- like the Ori. No other plots will get resolved. Stuff like a follow-up to crystal skull will in no way be movie-worthy (same with all the other loose ends) so the only way we can see the resolution to those would be if they were written in as part of the movie, which would just be a cheap way to do it.

The creators for years and years teased us with Crystal Skull follow up lies. They have had, 7-8 years to do a follow up. None is coming and believing one might in season 11 is just dumb.

PG15
September 27th, 2006, 08:54 PM
The creators for years and years teased us with Crystal Skull follow up lies. They have had, 7-8 years to do a follow up. None is coming and believing one might in season 11 is just dumb.

"Lies"? Come on now. Plans change; such are the ways of the creative process.

majorsal
September 27th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Maybe because some people feel he was ready to leave. Probably based on the fact that he hadn't signed on to do Season 11 for sure like the others had.

well, if there's the tv movies (PLEASE!), he better be a part of it! ;)

my dream team --> :daniel: :sam: :jack: :tealc: <-- and only this fab four

TheCaptain
September 28th, 2006, 04:41 AM
I hope they do make tele movies, out of the choices they have. If there is no way to make another season of the show, that is... ;)

It might give TPTB a bit of a boost to the budget, that might just cross over to more impressive effects, characters and general action/adventure in the movies :D

We'll just have to see if this report is confirmed or denied, then wait 'patiently' as fandom does for more details to come from the up-highs :p

Capt

Descent
September 28th, 2006, 04:56 AM
well, if there's the tv movies (PLEASE!), he better be a part of it! ;)

my dream team --> :daniel: :sam: :jack: :tealc: <-- and only this fab four

He will, if anything these movies would start filming right after they wrapped Season 10.

Dr McKay
September 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM
on one hand it really really sucks that stargate has been cancelled, but its really cool that they are making movies. so all is not lost :D

JohnDuh
September 28th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Movie bad - series good.

DanJack
September 28th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Movie bad - series good.

I agree. If they do a movie(s) they should definitely make a point to resolve the loose threads out there like Jonas, Crystal Skull aliens, and the Ori. My fear is that they will just continue to develop new stories (not that that's bad) and leave the loose ones hanging. :mckay:

I would love a new series that involves many of the SG-1 cast. Hey I know, they should do a new show called "SG-2". This could then get them around the whole legal issue w/ Sci-FI. :)

Konman72
September 29th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Alright...alright, here is my plan. They get a new network to air season 11 and make TV movies! Then these movies spin off into a third series! Then, after 3 or 4 SG-1 movies they make an Atlantis movie which spins off into a fourth series. Meanwhile SG-1 is into its 15th season and Atlantis is going strong at 8 with the third series in season 2 or 3 and the fourth just premiering.

..............too ambitious? ;)

david2708
September 29th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Once the series ends, the actors will likely move on to other projects. Who's to say they will be available to do any follow up movies?
I say just end the series. Why flog a dead horse.

Farscapefan
September 29th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Once the series ends, the actors will likely move on to other projects. Who's to say they will be available to do any follow up movies?

All the actors, with the exception of Michael Shanks have signed 11th season option in their contracts. They were planning to do one more year of the show. Good enough reason to be available to do any follow up movie.

MediaSavant
September 29th, 2006, 10:35 AM

If they aren't available, they'll be written out. But, looking back to the Babylon 5 movies and Farscape's miniseries, every key castmember was available. I don't see why that would be different with this cast.

In fact, with the B5 movies, all the cast wanted to be in all the movies, but it was JMS and Warner Brothers who didn't want all of them in all the movies. This caused some disgruntledness among some castmembers who got left out. One of the movies even lacked Bruce Boxleitner, who was the alleged "star" of the show.

Oreo
September 29th, 2006, 11:07 AM
"Lies"? Come on now. Plans change; such are the ways of the creative process.

The point still stands if they didn't do an episode by now they will never. Thinking they will in season 11 is just dumb, but not shocking coming from here.

belgian
September 29th, 2006, 11:27 AM
i would prefer that they either do a bigscreen movie and then the spinof stargate command that wil hopefully be aimed at an older public then that of atlantis

or that they make an 11 season and for the us market selling it on itunes and dvd only

if they get to a 12 season can they then show it again on us television or can future seasons of sg1 never be shown again on us televison

the fifth man
September 29th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I say just end the series. Why flog a dead horse.

I'd bet they'd be willing to come back. It's been steady employment for the past decade.