PDA

View Full Version : Asurans ,can we not call them "Replicator",they are different

ckwongau
September 24th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I know Asurans probably related to the "Replicator" ,but they are different in many ways, it is inaccurate and not fair to call them "Replicator" because what their distance relative did. They deserve to earn their own bad reputation .
We don't call the Tok'ra , Goa'uld or snakehead ,but Jack call the the Tok'ra something else.

In a War situation, if we Stereotypes an entire divest group of people , we risk alienated more people and lost opportunity to make friend and allies.

Replicator main motivation/instrinct was to eat and replicate.It was build in to them by Reese.

The Asuran do replicate in some way , but nowhere as extreme as the Replicator.The Asuran 's main basic instrinct was to destory the Wraith.Their agression were put in them by Ancient.

The Asuran nanites inside Dr Weir's body slowly break down after they kill the injected Wraith cell.
Advance Replicator like Fifth and RepliCarter 's goal wereto conquer the Galaxy,The Asuran gaol was to take revenage against their creator ,and some wanted to Ascension.

The human form Replicator ,First to Sixth and RepliCarter use Neutronium to build their nanites body.Like Reese they can only replicate using metal material

The Asuran can replicate using organic material ,like when some of the Nanites were inside Dr Weir's body.

Ltcolshepjumper
September 24th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I don't want them calling them Replicators either. first, it make them too much like SG-1. Second, they don't replicate all the time. Their original purpose was to destroy the Wraith, by eating them up from the inside. Third, they don't replicate like the SG-1 replicators. They can't replicate off of technology, they replicate off of human tissue, which they do rarely.

SaberBlade
September 24th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I don't see the Asurians as replicators.

Both species (for lack of a better word) are entirely different so I don't see a point in calling them replicators when they've got completely different ideologies, civilisations, different ways of doing things and more importantly, the Asurians aren't made up of blocks but nanites so even technologically they are different.

Although you can't tell the difference when it comes to Goa'uld and Tok'ra except for how they act and their own unique culture, both are refered to differently so I see it as the same as the Asurians and Replicators. Both may be machines, just like the Goa'uld and Tok'ra may be Symbiotes, but they are still different and that means they shouldn't get the name of something else.

deadman
September 24th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Ueah, they don't even build their ships the same or a similar way Reaplicators do.

JanusAncient
September 24th, 2006, 05:37 PM
That was getting on my nerves, that they kept calling the Asurans replicator's, when they are basically Ancient's, they have the knowledge. Replicator's no matter how advanced they got, were far from the leve of technology as the Asuran's.

SoulReaver
September 24th, 2006, 05:48 PM
a good thing they're not replicators too - when McKay said they were replicators (just after they probed the SA team's heads) and when that asuran city took off I thought "holy s*** the replicators have assimilated ancient tech - the only tech more advanced than their own - tauri are definitely screwed" lol...only then it was revealed they were not replicators but something only remotely similar

Bragi
September 24th, 2006, 06:04 PM
We can not put spoiler info in the thread title.

Shows which haven't aired in US syndication yet are considered "currently airing" and therefor you have to put spoiler information in their proper tags and avoid putting blatant spoiler info in thread titles themselves. Please change your thread title out of consideration for our Canadian and European friends who haven't seen the episodes yet, and who haven't read the spoiler news stories.

Tassadar
September 24th, 2006, 09:07 PM
a good thing they're not replicators too - when McKay said they were replicators (just after they probed the SA team's heads) and when that asuran city took off I thought "holy s*** the replicators have assimilated ancient tech - the only tech more advanced than their own - tauri are definitely screwed" lol...only then it was revealed they were not replicators but something only remotely similar
I agree, if they were replicators then that was it, no way we could have won. The asurans don't seem as bad as the replicators considering some of them want to ascend and are willing to help us.

As for calling them replicators...well i think you guys are looking too much into it. we don't know much about the asurans and they are very similar to replicators. so its only natural for the ppl in stargate to call them replicators. we called the tokra goa'ulds at first too...so ya for sure we will call them asurans eventually, give it some time.

Stevo
September 24th, 2006, 09:20 PM
i agree they may be the same but still very different and should defidently be called Asurans (fairly good name too)

Peoples_General
September 24th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I agree, they are far more advanced than replicators. But they do have their own weaknesses... such as not building their ships out of Rep... err... Asuran blocks. :P

Raj_2006
September 25th, 2006, 12:05 AM
what would have been a suitable name for them then ???

unknown.entity
September 25th, 2006, 12:44 AM
what would have been a suitable name for them then ???
Asurans.

GreyFox
September 25th, 2006, 10:31 AM
they're replicators. why? cuz it's been canon-ized.

FallenAngelII
September 25th, 2006, 10:41 AM
they're replicators. why? cuz it's been canon-ized.

No it hasn't. Rodney called them replicators (and then others started doing it too). It's not like he hasn't been wrong before.

startrekker
September 25th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I personally do not care that much. The Asurans are virtually identical to the human form replicators. And wasn't Reese built by one of the Ancients that came here from Atlantis?

Neorapsta
September 25th, 2006, 10:57 AM
The problem with this arguement is that there isn't enough real evidence to say for certain either way. Although they'd still use the term they're most familiar with in that circumstance.

The problem also is that Tok'ra and Goa'uld are bad examples as they are genetically the same race they're just different in outlook.

FallenAngelII
September 25th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I personally do not care that much. The Asurans are virtually identical to the human form replicators. And wasn't Reese built by one of the Ancients that came here from Atlantis?

They're identical? How? Because they look like humans?!

The Replicators are human form. The Asurans are Ancient form. They far different when you take a look at them.

The only real thing they have in common is the fact that they are made out of nanites and can probe minds.

Blitz
September 25th, 2006, 11:43 AM
They are replicaters in the most basic sense - like saying the Reole (SG1 - The Fifth Man) are humanoid.

They both (The replicaters and the Asurans) both have the same basic principle of being built of blocks of technology, however they are on different levels of advancement, how they are built and most obviously: they have different paths in life.

-----------------

Replicaters were simply toys that got out of control and made more and more of themselves - untill they formed a more advanced form that still had the most basic of paths - to replicate.

Asurans are a technological weapon, that modeld itself after its creator.

-----------------

Humans of earth have 2 legs, 2 arms, eyes, nose, a mouth, head and yada yada yada - we all know what we look like.

The Reole have 2 legs, 2 arms, and basic body structure, but will most likely have a different organic make up, obvious from their ability to synthesise the chemical to make people see them as others. A better example would be a Timelord (Dr Who) - Looks human, VERY different genetic make up.

-----------------

So I agree, their Asurans - only replicaters on the most BASIC of levels.

SoulReaver
September 25th, 2006, 12:45 PM
The Asurans are virtually identical to the human form replicators. only on the surface

Ravroz
September 25th, 2006, 01:09 PM
They do appear at the least to be very similar technologically. While it is true that the original replicators were simply toys that had gone wrong the one that built those seemed a lot like the Asurans. The replicators in MW advanced far enough to form human form replicators much in the same way that the Asurans advanced far enough to take human form after their creators. They also seem to share the same extremely aggressive nature.

Bragi
September 25th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Near as I can figure, they are Replicators.

I think it's just fine to call them such.

And can we please take the spoiler info out of the damn thread title?

FallenAngelII
September 25th, 2006, 10:46 PM
They are replicaters in the most basic sense - like saying the Retou (SG1 - The Fifth Man) are humanoid.

They both (The replicaters and the Asurans) both have the same basic principle of being built of blocks of technology, however they are on different levels of advancement, how they are built and most obviously: they have different paths in life.

-----------------

Replicaters were simply toys that got out of control and made more and more of themselves - untill they formed a more advanced form that still had the most basic of paths - to replicate.

Asurans are a technological weapon, that modeld itself after its creator.

-----------------

Humans of earth have 2 legs, 2 arms, eyes, nose, a mouth, head and yada yada yada - we all know what we look like.

The Retou have 2 legs, 2 arms, and basic body structure, but will most likely have a different organic make up, obvious from their ability to synthesise the chemical to make people see them as others. A better example would be a Timelord (Dr Who) - Looks human, VERY different genetic make up.

-----------------

So I agree, their Asurans - only replicaters on the most BASIC of levels.

Umm... what? The Re'tu are the race that renders itself invisible.

Tassadar
September 25th, 2006, 11:08 PM
im sure they will start to call them asurans after a while. right now replicator is a more familiar term for them. i think its only natural they call them that for now.

JanusAncient
September 25th, 2006, 11:15 PM
They do appear at the least to be very similar technologically. While it is true that the original replicators were simply toys that had gone wrong the one that built those seemed a lot like the Asurans. The replicators in MW advanced far enough to form human form replicators much in the same way that the Asurans advanced far enough to take human form after their creators. They also seem to share the same extremely aggressive nature.

Actually, no they don't. If the Asuran's were anything like the Replicator's when it comes to aggressiveness, the human's, as well as the Wraith in Pegasus, would have been wiped out a long time ago. The Asuran's before they encountered the Atlantis expedition, seemed to be content with staying on that planet, and minded their own business.

Blitz
September 26th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Umm... what? The Re'tu are the race that renders itself invisible.

Your right...I meant the Reole *Blush* Sorry - but you get the general idea! :P

.jolinar.
September 26th, 2006, 03:19 AM
I aggree with ckwongau, the asurans are in some ways similar to the replicators granted. but they are also very different. they are not as hostile. the are, of course, an enemy but they are not as aggressive.

prion
September 26th, 2006, 03:33 AM
WEll, I'd say that the Asurans aren't exactly nice folk, whatever they are. They decided to go off and destroy Atlantis (Progeny), they tried to take over Weir (Real World), and now they're attacking Atlantis (Return).

Since the Asurans are capable of doing precisely what hte human form replicators did in SG1 (hands in heads, 'updates', etc.), well, seem very replicator to me.

FallenAngelII
September 26th, 2006, 03:54 AM
WEll, I'd say that the Asurans aren't exactly nice folk, whatever they are. They decided to go off and destroy Atlantis (Progeny), they tried to take over Weir (Real World), and now they're attacking Atlantis (Return).

Since the Asurans are capable of doing precisely what hte human form replicators did in SG1 (hands in heads, 'updates', etc.), well, seem very replicator to me.

As opposed to us humans? Or the Asgard? Or the Ancients? Everyone's capable of attacking people, try to infect them with stuff and then attacking them again.

The Replicators even had different programming: To incorporate new technology and seek out new technology to incorporate. The Asurans seem to be like any normal people, only slightly psychotic and very pissed off at the Ancients.

Tassadar
September 26th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Actually, no they don't. If the Asuran's were anything like the Replicator's when it comes to aggressiveness, the human's, as well as the Wraith in Pegasus, would have been wiped out a long time ago. The Asuran's before they encountered the Atlantis expedition, seemed to be content with staying on that planet, and minded their own business.
well actually i think this is a similarity between the two. the replicators did the same exact thing once they took human form. they stayed on that planet for thousands of years building and planning.

Ltcolshepjumper
September 26th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I aggree with ckwongau, the asurans are in some ways similar to the replicators granted. but they are also very different. they are not as hostile. the are, of course, an enemy but they are not as aggressive.
The Asurans as human form replicators aren't that aggressive, but when it comes to replication and attacking Wraith cells, their nanites are very aggressive.

ForeverSg1
September 26th, 2006, 01:20 PM
The Asurans as human form replicators aren't that aggressive, but when it comes to replication and attacking Wraith cells, their nanites are very aggressive.

From what we know of the replicators on SG-1, they weren't agressive to begin with either. What if Reese was just a prototype for the Asurans. An early version, if you will. Reese's programming may have been flawed, which caused her to have agressive tendancies which she then passed onto her replicator toys, but they were highly intelligent and obviously took her command to go forth and multiply very seriously.

What I find interesting is the idea that some people are under the impression that Amanda may be joining the cast of Atlantis next season if only for a few episodes. Everyone seems to assume that if she does that she will be joining the cast as Samantha Carter; however, with the introduction of the Asurans, I'm wondering if perhaps their is a chance of her becoming a recurring guest as Replicarter.

RC could have gotten the location of the Pegasus Galaxy from Daniel and there is no proof that she was killed. It would be interesting to see what would happen if RC had survived and went in search of a new playground and in the process stumbles across a distant cousin, the Asurans.

It would definitely be an opportunity to have Amanda guest star on the show without overshadowing the existing cast. Just a thought.

Ltcolshepjumper
September 26th, 2006, 01:41 PM
The proof that replicator Carter was killed is this: They showed the ship get disrupted by the Dakara Device. She's dead. besides, she'd never ally herself with the Asurans. MW replicators assimilate technology, all technology. She would have no place in Atlantis because then she would be conflicting with the Asurans, who replicate off of organic material(cells, maybe Hive ships) instead of technology. It would be interesting, however, to see the MW replicators combat the PG Replicators.

GreyFox
September 26th, 2006, 01:47 PM
They're identical? How? Because they look like humans?!

The Replicators are human form. The Asurans are Ancient form. They far different when you take a look at them.

The only real thing they have in common is the fact that they are made out of nanites and can probe minds.

yeah thought you should know before spouting things as fact. one humans are us. two the alterans are also humans. them being highly evolutionary (SP) advanced doesn't make then well not human

GreyFox
September 26th, 2006, 01:55 PM
wrong again

anything mentioned in show is canon till debunked in a later ep. 6 months will we know the real answers. in the mean time.........

just cuz you don't agree or like it doesn't make it wrong just how it is

Ltcolshepjumper
September 26th, 2006, 02:01 PM
yeah thought you should know before spouting things as fact. one humans are us. two the alterans are also humans. them being highly evolutionary (SP) advanced doesn't make then well not human

does it matter whether they look like humans? they are neither Ancient nor human and the Asurans only mimicked the Ancients in appearance. So saying that they are human form or ancient form is the same thing.

jenks
September 26th, 2006, 02:16 PM
does it matter whether they look like humans? they are neither Ancient nor human and the Asurans only mimicked the Ancients in appearance. So saying that they are human form or ancient form is the same thing.

Isn't that the point he was trying to make?

JanusAncient
September 26th, 2006, 07:10 PM
well actually i think this is a similarity between the two. the replicators did the same exact thing once they took human form. they stayed on that planet for thousands of years building and planning.

Replicator's stayed on a planet building an army, the Asuran's already had an army, there were millions of them on that planet, they many zpm's, a city ship, and who knows what else, they just wanted to be left alone, but when Weir dropped the ball, here they come, ready to attack Atlantis.