Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theory of why sg-1 is getting the boot...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theory of why sg-1 is getting the boot...

I was thinking about sci-fi's cancelling of the show, and it occured to me... Sci-fi has never come out with an official statement as to why they are cancelling the show...

One thing that comes to mind is that sci-fi feels that the show has gone on so long that the cost of keeping the show running (paying crew, cast, materials) has gone up so high that they feel the ratings just aren't high enough to allow add revenues to break even with the costs.

Therefore, Sci-fi believes that if the show is taken off the station, bringing on a new/newer show in it's place would be cheaper, and would be less financial risk as it's easier to break even and possibly make more profit.

And the reason why sci-fi would not make a statement of this kind is because this has been done in the past with other shows on their networks. Either the network came out with some bull@$&% reason or they just kept quite about it.

... Now i bet i'll get bashed as a stargate hater for this, but believe me, i'm a HUGE fan of both shows, and many other sci-fi shows, and if i could keep stargate sg-1/atlantis/other spinoffs on the air i would do w/e i could, but this seems to be the only good enough explanation of why sci-fi is doing this without making a public statement.

Lets here ideas...
    And remember!

"Where there's a WILL... There's a WEAPON!"

- Nicolas Cage, Lord of War

"You can never be too rich, too stupid or too well armed!"

- Unknown

ECW, F***ing wrestling isnt even scifi!

and i think they want it to go out at a high note so its memorable. take ER, its continueing but most people now dont even know what that is compared to around 8 years ago when it was a huge TV show. but scifi should have gave the Stargate guys one season warning. i think the best we can have is that they use the rest of the season to lead up to a big finale. then make a full legnth motion picture film to end the SG1 series, just like how it started.
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Well that's exactly it. SG-1 is very expensive to make now (which, ironically, is SciFi's fault, since they insisted that season 9 and 10 keep the SG-1 label) so they want to ditch it and get something cheaper. How about reality TV? I hear that stuff is dead cheap!

Another factor could be how Stargate is owned by MGM, so Sci Fi would prefer something they can have complete creative control over.

And thank you, by the way. Just from reading the title I thought ''Oh, this is gonna be another anti season 10 thread about how much the show sucks now''. But it's not, so thanks.

Comment

I think its all a setup to get the viewers to come back to a certain extent. Kind of like back in the 70s or 80s when coca-cola came out with new coke which was horrible to get people to start drinking more of the other brand and being all in an outrage at coke changing its formula. Which worked for them.

Comment

i hope you are right Origin1981, i think another thing that may have lead to its cancelation is due to us. we have anti season (insert number). there may not be only one reason but im definately not taking scifi's reasons as the only ones.

^1600 post
          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Origin1981
            I think its all a setup to get the viewers to come back to a certain extent. Kind of like back in the 70s or 80s when coca-cola came out with new coke which was horrible to get people to start drinking more of the other brand and being all in an outrage at coke changing its formula. Which worked for them.
            God I hope so b/c this is the dumbest descision in Scifi's history. If not lets just hope for the best and take whatever SG-1 we can get.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
              God I hope so b/c this is the dumbest descision in Scifi's history. If not lets just hope for the best and take whatever SG-1 we can get.
              Not the dumbest. One of the dumbest, but I think it is shared with their decision to cancel Farscape a few years back. Both very stupid moves IMO.

I do agree though. We just have to hope TPTB and MGM can work something out to keep SG-1 around in some form after this season. And enjoy whatever we have left of this great show.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                Not the dumbest. One of the dumbest, but I think it is shared with their decision to cancel Farscape a few years back. Both very stupid moves IMO.

I do agree though. We just have to hope TPTB and MGM can work something out to keep SG-1 around in some form after this season. And enjoy whatever we have left of this great show.
                Indeed. Both moves were dumb and I'm not going to hope MGM and TPTB come up with something I know they will because their resolve is very strong and won't give up easily.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
                  Indeed. Both moves were dumb and I'm not going to hope MGM and TPTB come up with something I know they will because their resolve is very strong and won't give up easily.
                  how can it be dumb? no, you don't have to LIKE it, i don't. but that doesn't make it dumb. if they're loosing money, why is stopping their money loss dumb? most people consider it smart. if i didn't pull out of a stock that lost 30%, and therefore lost all my money, most people would consider me to be an utter idiot. but hey, i kept the loyalty of the company...which is now also bankrupt...and can't really use my loyalty for anything...
                  the ratings are in the tubes (down 30% in a season and a half is considered a "high note"?) the costs are only going up (rebranding isn't going to stop smart agents and unions from fighting what amount to pay-and-benefit-cuts). what would they get out of keeping SG-1, cuz it ain't money? and seeing as it's a business...

forgive me, i don't know a whole lot about the stock market.
                  sigpic
                  "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                  Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by MiniHerc
                    One thing that comes to mind is that sci-fi feels that the show has gone on so long that the cost of keeping the show running (paying crew, cast, materials) has gone up so high that they feel the ratings just aren't high enough to allow add revenues to break even with the costs.
                    Now why would they think that?

Because “Dr. Who” brought in roughly the same ratings as SG-1 has this season? SG-1 being an original series they have to contribute a good chunk of the money to produce vs. “Dr. Who” they just need to pay a licensing fee for.

How does this make Sci Fi idiots?

Now if you could get roughly the same bang for YOUR buck and one alternative was MUCH cheaper: Which one would you go with?
                    Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

I doubt they are loosing money considering SG-1 is shown in 120 countries. Stargate makes millions for MGM which is only seconded to Bond. MGM would want it to continue as it brings millions every year through stargate brand.
                      SCI Fi probably got some bull***t reason for cancelling this show. SG-1 will not go down easily somehow SG-1 will continue.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                        how can it be dumb? no, you don't have to LIKE it, i don't. but that doesn't make it dumb. if they're loosing money, why is stopping their money loss dumb? most people consider it smart. if i didn't pull out of a stock that lost 30%, and therefore lost all my money, most people would consider me to be an utter idiot. but hey, i kept the loyalty of the company...which is now also bankrupt...and can't really use my loyalty for anything...
                        the ratings are in the tubes (down 30% in a season and a half is considered a "high note"?) the costs are only going up (rebranding isn't going to stop smart agents and unions from fighting what amount to pay-and-benefit-cuts). what would they get out of keeping SG-1, cuz it ain't money? and seeing as it's a business...

forgive me, i don't know a whole lot about the stock market.
                        I would love to see the official figures for the show and exactly how much money Sci-fi is loosing.

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
                          I would love to see the official figures for the show and exactly how much money Sci-fi is loosing.
                          It’s not rocket science....

10 year old show+ 25-30% ratings drop+ dropping key demographics= Cancelled show.

It’s the same formula on all TV networks not just Sci Fi.
                          Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

I think that Sci Fi probably doesn't make much money from showing SG1...The real money lies in merchandise like DVD sales...so MGM is the one with the cash cow...I can accept that Sci Fi chose to cancel the show for financial reasons.

Now...cancelling Farscape...that was dumb...and if they do the same with Atlantis then I'll be really pissed...Farscape was a young show that could have had as long a time on air as SG1.

I actually think the thing that's slowing down Atlantis is the fact that it's stuck on Sci Fi...I hope the contract clause is SG1-specific.
                            sigpic
                            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Actually this decision was made stranger because it sound like MGM did not even know about and if they it was only few hours before the public anouncement. But do you know what annoys me most is that they cancel the showbut apparently will not let any new channels show new episodes in america. WHich really annoy me because if they think to expensive to have as a show then why not just one of your rivals lose money on.

Here my theory they fear that a company like fox would come in for it and take it on and thenput it direct competition with say atlantis or possibly battle star galactica and invest money and advertisment into the series and may be increase it ratings, which I could happening. All I know this my favourite tv show and as far as I am concern sci fi channel go bankrupt. All this shows they care more for themselfs and the fans.

Comment

Working...
                              X