• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MediasharX: Review of "Poisoning the Well"

Poisoning the Well

From MediasharX:

http://www.mediasharx.com/index.php/tv/3102

(This episode earned 4.5 shark fins out of 5! Please follow the link for the complete review.)

Television

Stargate: Atlantis (1.07) - "Poisoning the Well"
    (original airdate 08.20.04)

Review:

Visiting the planet called Hoff, Sheppard, Ford, McKay and Teyla have been talking with the planet’s residents as they again try to rebuild their society after being decimated by the most recent Wraith culling. The Hoff society is about as advanced as Earth was in 1918, and McKay is amused when the Druhin, the planet’s chancellor, shows the team their attempts at harnessing geothermal energy. But the team is suddenly very interested when Druhin shows them a vial of blood containing the prototype of a drug they hope will inoculate them against the Wraith.

**snippity doo-dah**

It’s a strong episode in terms of content, direction and plotting. It’s no wonder Sci Fi Channel is now running commercials touting ATLANTIS, indicating it is their biggest hit ever and their newest original hit series, which is saying something after quality shows like FARSCAPE, FIRST WAVE and THE INVISIBLE MAN.

By the way, check out this week’s TV GUIDE magazine, which includes quite a positive review by Matt Roush of both STARGATE SG-1 and STARGATE ATLANTIS. He refers to the franchise as the Sci Fi Channel’s LAW AND ORDER, which is not a bad comparison in terms of longevity and profitability.

Quotes of the Week

McKay (about Beckett): "He just doesn’t like going through the Stargate.”
    Sheppard: "He’s worse than Doctor McCoy."
    Teyla: "Who?"
    Sheppard: "The TV character that Doctor Beckett plays in real life."

McKay to Beckett: “How often do you get to travel to an alien planet?”
    Beckett: “I already was on an alien planet.”

Wraith: “Hello again, Major Sheppard.”
    Sheppard: “Sorry if I woke you. Just came by to see if there is anything you needed, magazine, fresh towels.”
    Wraith: “You hide your fear poorly, Major.”
    Sheppard: “You know, we’ve been having these conversations for a couple of weeks now, and I don’t even know your name. You guys do have names, right. Let me guess ... ‘Steve?’”
    Wraith: “I am your death. That is all you need to know.”
    Sheppard: “I prefer ‘Steve.’”

Weir: “Major, have you made any progress with your prisoner?”
    Sheppard: “Well, not yet, but he just blinked.”
    McKay: “He ‘blinked?’ What does that mean?”
    Sheppard: “It means he’s still holding on but he’s indicated to me that he may break soon.”
    McKay: “And he indicated this to you by blinking?”
    Sheppard: “Yes.”

Sheppard: ”Hi, ‘Steve.’”
    Ford: “Bye, ‘Steve.’” (shoots Wraith)
    Sheppard: “Doctor?”
    Ford: “Almost looks peaceful, doesn’t he?”
    Beckett: “Peaceful? You’re out of your bloody mind!”

Beckett: “’A bald head is soon shaved.’”
    Perna: “You speak differently than the others.”
    Beckett: “Noticed that, did you? Sorry if I confuse you. Trust me, where I come from, it makes perfect sense.”

Weir: “You do understand the Geneva Convention prohibits using prisoners for scientific experiments?”
    Sheppard: “No offense, Doc, but had the Wraith attended the Geneva Convention, they would have tried to feed on everyone there.” Weir: “Beckett’s report indicates that we have no idea what the long-term effect of this drug on humans might be.”
    Sheppard: “Well, we know damn well what the long-term effects of Wraith culling are, don’t we? ... I tried to feed him all sorts of live stuff, but apparently there’s only one item on his menu.”

Ford to a smiling Wraith: “Hey, man, this isn’t supposed to be fun.”

Sheppard: “How many hive ships have become operational since we awakened the first one?”
    Wraith: “All of them, Major Sheppard. First, they will travel their own feeding grounds and gather strength. We are a patient race, Major. When we have taken our fill and gathered our strength, we will join force and come for you.”
    Sheppard: “You have any idea when that will be? Morning, afternoon?”

Next Week

”Underground,” Efforts to open trade relations with a species called the Genii turn sour when the team discovers their new "allies" have ulterior motives.

Reviewed by: WayneHall
    Added on: Sun, 22 August 2004 20:13:40
    Reads: 29

Miss a column or review? Head to the Stargate Atlantis Archives!

http://www.mediasharx.com/index.php?...rgate+Atlantis

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter
Working...
X