PDA

View Full Version : Why not build ships out of the same material as the stargates?

Attilitus
September 23rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
The stargates are made up of super conductive Naquada which absorbs energy like a sponge. It has shown itself to be incredibly resistant to being destroyed...

Doesn't it make sense that a stargate-metal hull be the "end-all" of ship construction in the SG universe?

Dr. Who
September 23rd, 2006, 02:38 PM
Thats alot of naqhauda........

It is cheaper and easier and probably safer to build them out of metal composites.

CamandVala
September 23rd, 2006, 02:46 PM
Thats alot of naqhauda........

It is cheaper and easier and probably safer to build them out of metal composites.
Yeah, what Dr. Who said. Plus, naquada has a limited amount of absorbancy, it has to blow up sometime, and, frankly, I wouldn't want to be there when it did :) .

sueKay
September 23rd, 2006, 02:49 PM
Naquadah weights a LOT...I doubt any ship made of it would be able to take off!

jds1982
September 23rd, 2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah, what Dr. Who said. Plus, naquada has a limited amount of absorbancy, it has to blow up sometime, and, frankly, I wouldn't want to be there when it did :) .

How big would the explosion have been if the gate had exploded, size of Colorado?

Attilitus
September 23rd, 2006, 02:52 PM
Well you could route all power absorbed by the hull back into the shields protecting the ship for an instant recharge. :) And if the ship does blow up, at least you are taking your enemy with you.

Or into weapons.

Obviously it is horribly impractical for SOOOO many reasons. But I am just wondering if anyone can think of a hypothetically "better" ship hull just in terms of space war-fare. (Remember that in a world where you can get enough Naquada to build a ship out of it, you can probably slap an engine on it to get it off the ground.)

WTFOwned
September 23rd, 2006, 02:54 PM
How big would the explosion have been if the gate had exploded, size of Colorado?
A ton bigger than that. Think, a few grams worth would destroy the earth when coupled with a nuclear explosion. A force great enough to destroy the naquadah, plus over a ton worth of it, your entire solar system would be screwed.

And an entire ship? If that some how exploded (say, some sort of malfunction or a weapon of the Ori), you, and everyone within about a hundred thousand lightyears of you would be screwed.

Attilitus
September 23rd, 2006, 02:58 PM
Yea... as I said it is horribly impractical...

For the sake of argument we are assuming that we can build a ship without any programming bugs that has a Naqauda hull that routes absorbed energy back into shields, weapons, ect.

The argument is not "will this happen, and should we do it?" but rather "Is there a hypothetically better hull material"

Zatnikitelman
September 23rd, 2006, 03:54 PM
What about using a Star Trek type ablative armor? It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to built a matter replication system using the transporter to create a material on the hull that is supposed to be vaporized when hit to automatically recreate another plate.

2ndgenerationalteran
September 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
it was said that naquadah is very dense and is rare. its also very valuable the jaffa use it as money. A ship made of naquadah would be like a ship made of gold.

knowles2
September 23rd, 2006, 11:50 PM
Remember in the stargate world it does not matter how much something weighs because they the technology to reduce mass of the object. I think it would inertial dampers or something

But a better and more practical material would be what ever anumbis use for the super solder armour. It virtue took everythink we could throw at and more.

The most practical hull design would the sma trinium hull they use now but with an layer of anumbis super solder armour over it. And then a other layer of the inside.

so you would get three layers of hull, anubis super solde armour, trinium and anubis super solder armour.

AnotherEvilAlien
September 24th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Naquadah weights a LOT...I doubt any ship made of it would be able to take off!

Well, weight isn't an issue. You could just build it in space and have it remain a space-operating vehicle if it weighed that much.

madchris16
September 24th, 2006, 01:39 AM
am i the only one that remembers that earth ships aaaaand go'auld motherships are made out of naquadah? well, actually, earth ships are made from a naquadah and trinium alloy i think. . .

but the point is that they're already made of naquadah. without the naquadah the hull of the ships would not be strong enough.

AnotherEvilAlien
September 24th, 2006, 01:49 AM
am i the only one that remembers that earth ships aaaaand go'auld motherships are made out of naquadah? well, actually, earth ships are made from a naquadah and trinium alloy i think. . .

but the point is that they're already made of naquadah. without the naquadah the hull of the ships would not be strong enough.

Nope. Just trinium.

Prometheus's main purpose is to serve as a platform for the defense of Earth. The ship can achieve orbit in less than 30 seconds, and utilizing the sub-light engines, can travel at 110,000 miles per second. The corridors of the vessel are constructed of trinium alloys.

http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/ships/p/prometheus.shtml

Defense: Asgard Shields
Trinium Hull

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC-303

2ndgenerationalteran
September 24th, 2006, 02:24 AM
i think the asgard alloys are stronger, trinium, depleted naquadah and carbon alloys

CamandVala
September 24th, 2006, 07:23 AM
But a better and more practical material would be what ever anumbis use for the super solder armour. It virtue took everythink we could throw at and more.
Plastic? Sorry, I just had to say that... But I hadn't thought of that, that might work a little better than the trinium we have, but the suit underneath the armour is what absorbed the energy blasts, so how could they work that into the design? And would it work against the Ori ships?

Dutch_Razor
September 24th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Same question as "Why aren't tanks made out of diamond?"

1. It's expensive and hard to get.
2. It's heavy.
3. It's not easy to make a ship out of it.

SaberBlade
September 24th, 2006, 12:50 PM
When it comes to Naquadah, its more valuable as a fuel source than anything yes. Yes it is strong and such, but there is one big problem with it, it explodes.

I personally wouldn't like the idea that if my ship was to come under attack, the naquadah could react and may explode. We do know of stronger material to build ships with, but if ships fail, the explosion is just going to be made more destructive because of the Naquadah.

I could see the material becoming a good source of enery if use as abladive armour, shields fail and it could absorb the energy allowing us to use it, but in end it's still a very destructive element and a ship made of naquadah coming across a powerful energy source could be disasterous.

Starglider
September 24th, 2006, 01:33 PM
AnotherEvilAlien: /Weight/ is less important with antigravity (though presumably it takes energy and the maximum practical weight is limited by reactor output). /Mass/ however is still critically important, because the earth ships are still using reaction drives with limited thrust. If the whole hull was made out of something as superdense as naquada, the ship would have hopelessly slow acceleration and awful manuverability. That said, it would probably make sense to have internal naquada armour plating around the most critical components, such as the bridge, hyperdrive and reactors - if earth had the naquada to spare for such extravagances, which at present they don't seem to.

As for the ablative armour idea, the SGC doesn't have the matter replication tech the Asgard seem to have, but there's no reason why they couldn't keep a pile of spare hull plates in a cargo bay and using beaming tech to exchange them with damaged plates. The main problem with that is that you'd have to have extreme precision to get the new plates to fit precisely into the support structure (and beam out just the damaged plates without accidentally beaming out other bits of the hull). We don't know if the beaming tech is that accurate to start with, and we do know that combat conditions (jamming, damage) easily degrade its accuracy.

ur uncle urgo
September 25th, 2006, 05:43 PM
just to clear it up i think they said in one ep that the gate would blow up all of colarado and the raidtion would kill all life on earth and thats the gate so a few grams would not blow the whole earth up

Andrew Joshua Talon
September 25th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Well, is there such a thing as depleted naquada? We use depleted uranium in the armor of Abrams tanks, after all.

FatTzu
September 26th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Same question as "Why aren't tanks made out of diamond?"

1. It's expensive and hard to get.
2. It's heavy.
3. It's not easy to make a ship out of it.

Or a more cliched anology; why don't they just make the whole plane out of the black box?

.jolinar.
September 27th, 2006, 02:13 AM
accually if any of you remember in 'small victories' im think it was thor said the the hull of the new O'neill class ship is made of a Trinium, Carbon, NAQUDAH alloy

K-9
September 27th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Well, is there such a thing as depleted naquada? We use depleted uranium in the armor of Abrams tanks, after all.

The term depleted uranium is in reference to uranium ore that has been depleted of the U-235 isotope and then only consists of the U-237 isotope. It is the U-237 isotope that is used in DU bulletes etc.

Depleted naquada would require there to be the same idea, but I don't know if naquada radioactivity and isotopes have been discussed.

Exiled Master
September 28th, 2006, 12:16 PM
The stargates are made up of super conductive Naquada which absorbs energy like a sponge. It has shown itself to be incredibly resistant to being destroyed...

Doesn't it make sense that a stargate-metal hull be the "end-all" of ship construction in the SG universe?
Hit it with a new and all nearby ships go boom, or they would if there was sound in space.
And it is also WAY, WAY TOO HEAVY. Nq is what, 248 on the periodic table? It's not feasible to engineer.

ur uncle urgo
September 28th, 2006, 05:39 PM
you would never be able to land even something the size of a fighter or even take off without some huge engines anyone know how heavy a 747 cause we could im not saying that this is a good idea strap there engines on a fighter cause the gate 60,000 pounds and thats not even soild so i agree with master not very helpful engineering

2ndgenerationalteran
September 30th, 2006, 01:57 AM
The term depleted uranium is in reference to uranium ore that has been depleted of the U-235 isotope and then only consists of the U-237 isotope. It is the U-237 isotope that is used in DU bulletes etc.

Depleted naquada would require there to be the same idea, but I don't know if naquada radioactivity and isotopes have been discussed.

actually the uranium is 1/140 U-235, the other 139 are U-238.

the naquadah it self makes people go crazy (if im not mistaken) and before someone says to take the blasts on a full naquadah vehical and redirect the new power to a uber weapon, there would be a nuclear reaction going on around you. A alloy as i said earlier would be the best armour after a ship coated in kull warrior armor. im pretty sure that armor is invisible to radar, it was impenetrable and asorbed all energy damage and was very light. if we bring this back it would even the playing fields

CamandVala
September 30th, 2006, 12:31 PM
actually the uranium is 1/140 U-235, the other 139 are U-238.

the naquadah it self makes people go crazy (if im not mistaken) and before someone says to take the blasts on a full naquadah vehical and redirect the new power to a uber weapon, there would be a nuclear reaction going on around you. A alloy as i said earlier would be the best armour after a ship coated in kull warrior armor. im pretty sure that armor is invisible to radar, it was impenetrable and asorbed all energy damage and was very light. if we bring this back it would even the playing fields
Wasn't it Naquadria that made people go crazy? I'll have to watch that episode again...

2ndgenerationalteran
September 30th, 2006, 12:47 PM
i think both did, naquadriah leads to skitzofrenia (sp) and regular had some bad side effects i think its in the ep where daniel gets addicted to the sarcophogus (sp again)

K-9
September 30th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Yes, apologies for the mistake. The MW of the isotope is 238, but the point still stands.