This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power to the space gates?

we know that normally the stargate gets its power from the DHD or for manual dialing (for the old gates anyway, i dont know if these gates can be manually dialed) directly [umped into the gate.

from what i can see besides the little booster things on the side to keep them in orbit where does the power come from? has any one looked closer to see maybe a little generator or some AA batteries on the side?

A power source may be indegrated into the thrusters, or from the DHD in the jumper perhaps?

Comment

Oh that one is easy... Ever heard of gamma rays!

The Stargate is outside the planets atmosphere and therefore open to cosmic ray bombardment. The one thing we know about Naquadah is it loves to soak up energy like a sponge. So the gate sits in space soaking up all the gamma ray energy it can from the local star. Why do you need the DHD or a remote power source?

That gate is acting like a giant solar cell. After being in space for a few thousand years it's probably soaked up enough energy to power itself for hundreds of years.

Comment

Solar power!

Those Wraith are know to be tree huggers so they need clean energy.

*Yes I know there are no tress in space...... yet.
        It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Simple- magnets... the answer to everything.
          Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
          RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

OOOOoooooooowwww the all power magnets!

*Gets on knees and preys*

All might magnets please forgive me! I meant no disrespect oh great powerful magnets!

Comment

Hundreds of hamsters running in wheels.
              sigpic
              I am Zim, Irken Invader Zim. I am responsible for the safe obliteration of the human race, not you!' - Zim - Invader Zim
              'Don't worry, officer. You are in a filthy Earth brain hospital. Your feelings are normal. There's a squid brain in your head! ' - Zim - Invader Zim
              'Now, to unleash screaming temporal doom! ' - Zim -Invader Zim

Comment

Originally posted by David85
                Solar power!

Those Wraith are know to be tree huggers so they need clean energy.

*Yes I know there are no tress in space...... yet.
                Yep, solar power. Besides keeping the gates in orbit those boosters make sure that that orbit is always on the sunny side of the planet.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

The outer-space Stargates derive their energy from the three "Power nodes" that keep the stargate gradually spinning counter-clockwise. Read more about this in an upcoming Omnipedia entry. Look for Technology>>"power node".

Comment

Originally posted by David
                    The outer-space Stargates derive their energy from the three "Power nodes" that keep the stargate gradually spinning counter-clockwise. Read more about this in an upcoming Omnipedia entry. Look for Technology>>"power node".
                    We were never told that. Besides, I like the idea that when in space, It's exposed to all kinds of energy. That fits with the qualities of Naquada that we've witnessed.
                    sigpic

Comment

But how do we know the Pegasus gates are made of Naquada?

Comment

Maybe the power nodes have ZPMs!

They could steal them to power atlantis, and then the Wraith world would be shut off from the rest of the stargate network for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry The Chevron Guy

They could steal them to power atlantis, and then the Wraith world would be shut off from the rest of the stargate network for a while.
                          Sorry but thanks to Steve we know that there is more than just one Hive Ship, so stealing a spacegate's ZPM (if they have one which they don't thats way too much power) would just deprive one Hive ship's Dart's of Gate travel until they reach and claimed a new gate bearing planet.

Comment

But if they take them from the wraith gate how do they get back to Atlantis?

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

I don't think they were big enough for ZPMs.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X