PDA

View Full Version : ::: Particle beam cannon. Exotic energy cannon. Giant coil guns. Where are they? :::

Mister Oragahn
September 20th, 2006, 05:08 PM
So let's resume.
First, we have Doc Lee (or Fletcher?) who's been working on an energy cannon based on the Goa'uld staff technology for what? years? Basically, a weapon that propels self encased bubbles of hot matter and whatever else.

Secondly, the SGC, back in season 3, used this thing:

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s3/317/3X17%5F221.JPG

A particle beam generator. Heated up naqahdah on the other side of the gate.

Basically, it sent a focused stream of energetic particles.

So now, can't we get a mix of the two and stick the baby on a damn capital ship class naqahdah generator, so we could fire super fast beams of highly energetic particles?

Drawback of the particle cannon? Fired in atmosphere, particles would be slowed down and would bleed off their energy in the surrounding mater. Solid, gas, whatever.
But in space, it's truely formidable. No friction, little deviation safe when in proximity to a gravity field (but then can be used for curved trajectories, sweet).
We could at least use those cannons instead of waiting hundred more years until a scientist manages to get a weapon out from those staves we keep looting day after day.

Those exotic energy weapons in SciFi have the advantage to be self contained. So it makes them better on that point, since they won't disperse in the atmosphere as long as the medium they go through is fluid enough (namely, as long as they don't hit something that is too solid).

Trouble is that in many occasions, we see that those energy cannons fire bolts that are just realistically too slow to be of any use in space warfare.

How do you plan to hit something moving at a high velocity (relative) and already located kilometers away from your position?

It's just damn luck thus far that most ships in Stargate are sitting ducks, or fight so close to each other that you could stick your hand outside and touch your enemy's pel'tak.
Look at the Ori beam. You just need to make straffing runs, and you're almost sure of never being hit by the main beam (okay, the ships also have some kind of smaller pulse cannons, seen in Camelot, that fire faster bolts, and which were effectively used against ships straffing around... but again were used against targets fighting at spitting range!).

By the way, we've scavanged, retro engineered or incorporated many aliens techs like rings, hyperdrives, shields, etc., that all baffle our science, even beyond the show's own sanity.

The advantage of the accelerated particle beam is that it can really fire those highly energetic particles at high velocities.

Well, exotic energy bolts have to be accelerated anyway.
I mean, theorically, the weapon creates the exotic projectile, puts it into some kind of even more exotic skin, and then accelerates the damn thing through a cannon by using forcefields of some sort. So those are adjustable.
We've seen a few cases of Goa'uld Ha'taks firing bolts at higher velocities: Baal's fleet in Homecoming, and a replicator controlled Ha'tak against the Daniel Jackson in, err... can't remember.
So this suggests that energy bolts can be fired at higher speeds. And they really should. I theorized that the faster you wanted the bolt to be, the more energy had to be dumped into the accelerator (and that was totally unrelated to the very power of the bolt itself, which is another "component").
So it could be understandable that not to spend too much energy into bolt acceleration when you can hit your enemy with slower bolts.
The self containing skin is another problem (repeling forces? a derivative of the self contained spinning plasma "donuts" or whatever)...

So maybe the particle cannon is inferior, but at least we can already have one! I mean, many.

Now, how the hell can our ships still not come with looted cannons, or some of our own production facilities then?

Another point. We now know how to create artificial gravity. We have railgun tech that was miniaturized after Earth started to grab tech from offworld exploration and trades. We can create forcefields.
Why the hell can't we build giant coil guns (that would fire naqahdah tiped explosive hard shells at high fraction of c)?
Sounds technical, but frankly, it's not. It's all about making a mass driver.

It's about accelerating a projectile through a super long "corridor" of electromagnetic fields or whatever else that is used to create fake gravity, without even using rails anymore.
Way more dangerous. http://209.85.48.12/3614/84/emo/lech.gif

That means super fast projectiles hammering against enemy shields and delivering large loads of KE before the projectile itself explodes and increases the level of energy emitted then.

Tassadar
September 20th, 2006, 05:33 PM
hm ya this has been discussed many times before and ya there really is no logical explenation why we dont have energy weapons in the show. the writers probably just dont want to make us too strong.

Mister Oragahn
September 20th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Ah but it's their mistake for deciding to give us spaceships so soon.
Now, it's only killing credibility, and frankly, it's pissing me off.

I like my enemy using all their cards, just like my good guys doing the same.
They're all tamed for non sensical reasons.

Giantevilhead
September 20th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Space battles in tv shows and movies are never realistic. If a space battle like the ones from Star Wars, Star Trek, or Stargate took place in real life, the ships wouldn't even be in visual range of each other. Even if the weapons they use travel only at one hundredth the speed of light, they could just blow each other up from hundreds of miles away.

Tassadar
September 20th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Ah but it's their mistake for deciding to give us spaceships so soon.
Now, it's only killing credibility, and frankly, it's pissing me off.

I like my enemy using all their cards, just like my good guys doing the same.
They're all tamed for non sensical reasons.
Ya i agree. i think they were forced to give us advanced hyperdrives and shields because of atlantis. they keep making the bad guys super powerful and then they need to find a way to keep us alive fighting them so they go hmm ya asgard gave us super shields and hyperdrives....ya...so now we can survive vs wraith but the writers cant give us weapons, which would actually make sense, because while it doesnt do us any good vs the wraith it would make us stronger than the jaffa and we cant have that cause that also doesnt make sense. i mean earth cant have better ships than a race thats been in space for thousands of years....so now the writers have such a big mess that they probably just gave up trying to make sense of the space ship situation in sg1.

Mister Oragahn
September 20th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Space battles in tv shows and movies are never realistic. If a space battle like the ones from Star Wars, Star Trek, or Stargate took place in real life, the ships wouldn't even be in visual range of each other. Even if the weapons they use travel only at one hundredth the speed of light, they could just blow each other up from hundreds of miles away.

Is it asking it to be realistic to actually follow the show's rules, and have the Terrans come with weapons they should own since decades because in the show, in the canon, we're so clever that we can jump from exploding NASA shuttles to hundred meters long transgalatic hyperspace capable spaceships within a few years?
Is it my fault if it was decided since season 6 that we should have a spaceship and understand so much about completely baffling tech?
Nope.
And I'm not even necessarily asking for super advanced tech, but just a derivative of things we almost know how to do.

Giantevilhead
September 20th, 2006, 06:04 PM
The Trust already stole the beaming tech Asgards gave earth. The Asgard probably don't want to take the chance of letting their advanced weapons fall into the hands of the Goa'uld.

Tassadar
September 20th, 2006, 06:12 PM
The Trust already stole the beaming tech Asgards gave earth. The Asgard probably don't want to take the chance of letting their advanced weapons fall into the hands of the Goa'uld.
It doesn't matter they already had that tech from when anubis probed thors mind.

scififreak
September 20th, 2006, 06:13 PM
hm ya this has been discussed many times before and ya there really is no logical explenation why we dont have energy weapons in the show. the writers probably just dont want to make us too strong.

hello its called that we are the tauri, meaning poeple of earth, so the writers have to limit our capabilities because other people would say that the show was blown out of proprtion just because we were to strong, the writers also have to go along with the fact of todays technology rate of expansion which isn't all that impressive if we soemhow find another life that invades our world. but don't get me wrong im all for the particle beam that is mentioned here

ckwongau
September 20th, 2006, 06:21 PM
So let's resume.
First, we have Doc Lee (or Fletcher?) who's been working on an energy cannon based on the Goa'uld staff technology for what? years? Basically, a weapon that propels self encased bubbles of hot matter and whatever else.

Secondly, the SGC, back in season 3, used this thing:

A particle beam generator. Heated up naqahdah on the other side of the gate.

Basically, it sent a focused stream of energetic particles.

So now, can't we get a mix of the two and stick the baby on a damn capital ship class naqahdah generator, so we could fire super fast beams of highly energetic particles?

S3 ,that particle beam was actually a particle accelerator, Sam got the idea from Sokar's wepon.It send a particle throough the gate,and heated the iris.
In theory it can even pass through an energy shield, because Sam ask Apophis if his energy shield can protect the Iris, but the dying Apophis said there is no defence against it.I think Apophis was telling the trust.

But to use that against an enemy ship , it requir the enemy ship just stay there and they beam slowly pass through it's shield.
That will never happen in any battle situation, the enemy will not just sit there and not firing back.

In my mine i imagine the new Earth weapon would be something like a rail gun combine with a Jaffa staff weapon.
The rail gun cannon we saw in Atlantis defence is cool, but what happen if it run of ammo, a 10 thousand round would run out quickly in the the heat of battle.A Jaffa staff weapon produce a ball of super heated plasma, what if we can use the rail gun's magnetic propelling mechanism to propel the superheated plasma ball.
The new rail gun can still fire ammo, ammo bullet round is faster than a staff.
We can put the staff weapan on top of the rail gun, it can fire both plasma and bullet.But it can also combine to fire the plasma ball in super sonic speed.
The speed would ehance the plasma's explosive power

Giantevilhead
September 20th, 2006, 06:25 PM
It doesn't matter they already had that tech from when anubis probed thors mind.
The Trust stole the tech before they were implanted by the Goa'uld. They became even more dangerous after they got implanted. They even managed to implant Caldwell. If the Daedalus had Asgard weapons when Caldwell was implanted, Atlantis would have been screwed.

Ouroboros
September 20th, 2006, 06:58 PM
The issue here is one of interconnecting technologies and the lack of logical extrapolation of those technolgies.

Earth not having the ability to build huge coilguns despite having all the ingredients to make huge coil guns that would make a joke out of their current weapons and many of the enemy ones is stretching suspension of disbeleif.

It's like if someone created a universe where nations had armies where guys rode around in nuclear powered hover buggies but still only fought with swords.

The advancing of technological understanding inevitably has huge and far feaching consequences across many fields of application. Look how greater technoloical development in the field of microchips and computer technology has changed the world in the last 20 years or so. They're in everything from cars to portable phones to cruise missiles now. The technology has given birth to the internet and countless other offshoot and related technologies that would be impossible to even begin to list here.

Everything inevitably finds it's way into a weapon sooner or later to.

jds1982
September 20th, 2006, 07:09 PM
It's like if someone created a universe where nations had armies where guys rode around in nuclear powered hover buggies but still only fought with swords.

That sounds like an Anime idea if ever there was one.

Originally Posted by Giantevilhead

Well you gotta figure that they have to fit these battles onto your T.V. screen, so of course the ranges are gonna be reduced a bit, and they still are taking place at ranges of at least a few miles. I think any space battle not using FTL weapons will have to take place at ranges not exceeding 1 light second.

Giantevilhead
September 20th, 2006, 08:40 PM
1 light second is 186,000 miles.

Tassadar
September 20th, 2006, 10:09 PM
The Trust stole the tech before they were implanted by the Goa'uld. They became even more dangerous after they got implanted. They even managed to implant Caldwell. If the Daedalus had Asgard weapons when Caldwell was implanted, Atlantis would have been screwed.
ah true. still the asgards can give us atleast goa'uld level weapons. still think its just the writers and logic of the show says we should have energy weapons.

scififreak
September 21st, 2006, 06:49 AM
ok did you guys loose the point of the whole thread? i mean comon its more about a particle beam that was used

jds1982
September 21st, 2006, 07:37 AM
1 light second is 186,000 miles.

Yes I am aware of that.

scififreak
September 21st, 2006, 07:53 AM
ok cuase it seemed that people were sorta drifting away

hyzmarca
September 21st, 2006, 08:22 AM

Deathstalker is a novel set in a far future space-faring empire that has given up firearms in favor of swords. This is presented as a social policy designed to keep the peasants from getting out of hand and annoying the aristocrats, similar to the banning of firearms in Edo era Japan. Of course, the Deathstalker universe also has energy weapons, they just have several minute long recharge times, leading to most battles being decided with blades rather than with guns.

This isn't exactly uncommon in pulp science fiction.

The Path Less Traveled is a short story about an ill-fated invasion of Earth by aliens with flintlock muskets because they haven't bothered to devolp any more effictive weapons. Being aliens with FTL starships they really never needed anything more effective than muskets to conquer primitive civilizations. With no pressure to devolp better weapons they simply relied on what they had.

Buba uognarf
September 21st, 2006, 08:52 AM
Deathstalker is a novel set in a far future space-faring empire that has given up firearms in favor of swords. This is presented as a social policy designed to keep the peasants from getting out of hand and annoying the aristocrats, similar to the banning of firearms in Edo era Japan. Of course, the Deathstalker universe also has energy weapons, they just have several minute long recharge times, leading to most battles being decided with blades rather than with guns.

The Path Less Traveled is a short story about an ill-fated invasion of Earth by aliens with flintlock muskets because they haven't bothered to devolp any more effictive weapons. Being aliens with FTL starships they really never needed anything more effective than muskets to conquer primitive civilizations. With no pressure to devolp better weapons they simply relied on what they had.

but that doesn't change the fact that there should be natural progression however small. It's unrealistic to think that we can't retro energy goa'uld weapons we've had plenty to take apart and play with...

as science progresses so should their weapons if only through greater understanding...

Dutch_Razor
September 21st, 2006, 01:17 PM
Uhm that thing in Season 3 is just a particle accelerator, not an energy beam..

GreyFox
September 21st, 2006, 01:26 PM
asgard will never give us any weapons. we're very lucky they gave hyperdrives and beam tech. earth energy weapons suck. they have to be focused on same spot for a long time just to heat it up

jds1982
September 21st, 2006, 03:29 PM

That book sounds hilarious, I'll have to pick it up.

hyzmarca
September 21st, 2006, 04:16 PM
It is a short story in a collection called Kaleidoscope by Harry Turtledove.

It does ilustrate that there is no such thing as a "tech level". Technology devolps hapazardly in response to pressure and ingenuity. Sometimes discoveries and inventions that would change the world are ignored because they seem to have no practical use at the time. Take, for example, the steam engine. Orginally invented by Hero of Alexandria in the first century CE. Obviously, it wasn't put to widespread use at that time and was forgotten because there was no pressure that it could aliviate. Likewise, weapons technology won't advance very quickly unless there is some pressure that demands beter weapons, such as a potential or actual war with people who have access to equivilant or better weapons technology.
Technologies are also limited by cultural considerations. A society that views life as cheap and death as glorious would have much less demand for reliable armor than one that views life as precious.

Ouroboros
September 21st, 2006, 08:19 PM

While those are interesting they don't really apply very well to the situation here. Earth is under tremendous pressure to develop the best possible weapons availible and the come up with.

-Tiny railguns only typically good enough for killing fighters

-Nuclear missiles that, while extremely powerful, are so slow that the ship could probably fly into it's own salvo and destroy itself if it kept accelerating after it fired forwards. I wonder if that's listed under "things not to do" in the owner's manual.

-Fighters that thus far have only proven useful for irritating Wraith hyperdrive repairmen with trivial surface damage. Oh and killing equally trivial darts and deathgliders.

A giant coilgun fired nuke would not be interceptable, except by highly sophisticated computer targeted lasers or near c particle beams, and it would deliver just as much punch as current nuclear missiles do, potentially more. You could also carry more ammo since you don't need to carry fuel and engines for each individual warhead as you do with a missile. If you're firing them out of a huge coilgun you just need the warheads.

Tassadar
September 21st, 2006, 10:51 PM
A giant coilgun fired nuke would not be interceptable, except by highly sophisticated computer targeted lasers or near c particle beams, and it would deliver just as much punch as current nuclear missiles do, potentially more. You could also carry more ammo since you don't need to carry fuel and engines for each individual warhead as you do with a missile. If you're firing them out of a huge coilgun you just need the warheads.
wow wouldnt that gun have to be pretty massive? i mean the energy it takes to accelerate an object with a mass of a bullet is way less than a nuke warhead. then again im a bio major so ya i really have no idea

Ouroboros
September 21st, 2006, 10:58 PM
wow wouldnt that gun have to be pretty massive? i mean the energy it takes to accelerate an object with a mass of a bullet is way less than a nuke warhead. then again im a bio major so ya i really have no idea

It would depend on how big of a nuke you wanted to shoot obviously but you could probably get away with a gun about the size of one you'd find on a WW2 battleship.

If you wanted to go bigger you can always mount it directly into the hull and just have it limited to a forward arc. That would let you speed up the projectile more but really, with the ranges they're shown to fight at, you don't need to speed it up much to get what seems like an insta-hit effect.

They have the energy to do it easily. The Daedalus is powered by a large naquada generator. If you wanted really huge guns you could even give them their own independant smaller generators. That might actually be a good idea in any case, just to prevent battle damage knocking all the guns offline at once and to reduce the load on the main reactor (it also powers the shields).

Anonmatel
September 21st, 2006, 11:31 PM

Yeah it sucks. What about the Serrakin? i'm sure they have a few sweet energy based weapons that we could have traded for.
BUT what did we trade?
We give them a stargate and they show us the ion propulsion engines?
Why bother when we aleady have sub light AND hyperspace technology.

Even those space mines that chased and locked onto the ships in space race. It would be pretty cool to beam near enemy craft.

And yeah i know the Ori have control of their planet.

Tassadar
September 21st, 2006, 11:38 PM
Yeah it sucks. What about the Serrakin? i'm sure they have a few sweet energy based weapons that we could have traded for.
BUT what did we trade?
We give them a stargate and they show us the ion propulsion engines?
Why bother when we aleady have sub light AND hyperspace technology.
ya but our sublight sucks. i've seen bricks maneuver better than our ships at times. but i think you are right on us getting screwed on that deal. we should have asked for way more...i mean we are giving them access to the gate system and all we get is an engine...that does seem unfair. but ya too late now...i believe that planet fell to the ori already :(

Daryl Froggy
September 22nd, 2006, 06:24 AM
ya but our sublight sucks. i've seen bricks maneuver better than our ships at times. but i think you are right on us getting screwed on that deal. we should have asked for way more...i mean we are giving them access to the gate system and all we get is an engine...that does seem unfair. but ya too late now...i believe that planet fell to the ori already :(
Yeah let's go loot whatever database they have left for mathematical and scientific knowledge.

Tassadar
September 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
Yeah let's go loot whatever database they have left for mathematical and scientific knowledge.
haha well it is occupied....we can just be like umm...ya...we are trying to help you...uhh...can we use your computer for a sec?

Ouroboros
September 22nd, 2006, 01:15 PM
haha well it is occupied....we can just be like umm...ya...we are trying to help you...uhh...can we use your computer for a sec?

Just beam all their hardrives onto the Daedalus and gun it back to area 51.

Tassadar
September 22nd, 2006, 01:22 PM
Just beam all their hardrives onto the Daedalus and gun it back to area 51.
oh ya that would be easier...man i wish i could have seen the battle for that planet though. they had some awesome tech and ifrastructure to back it up, probably put up one hell of a fight.

Mister Oragahn
September 22nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
Seriously, I didn't though that Hebridan would go off so easily. Even an old piece of junk like the Ceberus displayed impressive feats during the Space Race. A hebridan warship would have really been terrific.

Maybe a few ships escaped in hyperspace. That would be a logical thing to do, to at least give the tech to other races and start an industrial run.

If the planet is occupied by only one ori ship, they can actually send a 304 there. The ori ship won't have enough time to take off. The 304 will just run away then and immediately jump in HS.
There's a large room to start an underground resistance and transmit intel and blueprints to other races.

GreyFox
September 22nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
ya'll never learn do ya'll? in stargate unless there's bodies or seen with eyes there's always survivors

Anonmatel
September 22nd, 2006, 08:23 PM
ya'll never learn do ya'll? in stargate unless there's bodies or seen with eyes there's always survivors

yeah. Earth gave them the stargate over two seasons ago. Lets assume they are actually using it and some of them would be offworld somewhere..
That may also apply to the Tollan as well, even though they will never ben seen again.

Tassadar
September 23rd, 2006, 09:10 PM
Seriously, I didn't though that Hebridan would go off so easily. Even an old piece of junk like the Ceberus displayed impressive feats during the Space Race. A hebridan warship would have really been terrific.

Maybe a few ships escaped in hyperspace. That would be a logical thing to do, to at least give the tech to other races and start an industrial run.

If the planet is occupied by only one ori ship, they can actually send a 304 there. The ori ship won't have enough time to take off. The 304 will just run away then and immediately jump in HS.
There's a large room to start an underground resistance and transmit intel and blueprints to other races.
ya but that makes too much sense to happen

ckwongau
September 24th, 2006, 02:14 AM

I remember that guy from "Space Race", he turn the communication equipment into a weapon, the Hebridan are so resourceful .Carter should had learnt a lot from them.

And Earth can re-produce energy weapon , the Anti-replicator weapon, but it is an energy weapon that only hurt nanite base Replicator.
Even RepliCarter said that weapon was exotic , and yet we can't reverse engineer simple jaffa staff weapon.
Why can Earth build some decent energy weapon ?

Tassadar
September 24th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I remember that guy from "Space Race", he turn the communication equipment into a weapon, the Hebridan are so resourceful .Carter should had learnt a lot from them.

And Earth can re-produce energy weapon , the Anti-replicator weapon, but it is an energy weapon that only hurt nanite base Replicator.
Even RepliCarter said that weapon was exotic , and yet we can't reverse engineer simple jaffa staff weapon.
Why can Earth build some decent energy weapon ?
also makes too much sense to happen :S

Starglider
September 24th, 2006, 02:04 PM
A mass driver (huge coil gun) lobbing naquadria-enhanced nukes would make a lot of sense as a heavy ship-to-ship weapon. The main problem would be the firing arc; you can fire off missiles at the enemy while engaging in hard maneuvering, but a huge long accelerator built into the ship would be essentially immobile. You could electronically steer the shots a bit by applying a strong lateral magnetic field (via big coils) across the end of the accelerator, but the firing arc will probably be a few degrees each side of the ship's axis at best. Still, in a lot of battles the Daedelus class ships seem to be the most maneuverable so that wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

The problem with particle beams is that they spread, even in space. Charged particle beams spread quite rapidly because the particles repel each other; they may be effective at short ranges but suck at long ranges (though they may make good focused sensor jammers; that's what the particle beams on the Sulaco were mainly for, according to the Aliens tech manual). Neutral particle beams are harder to build and still tend to spread because it's very difficult to neutralise the beam without imparting some random tangiental velocity to the particles.

It would certainly be cool if the Tauri could come up with a crude version of the Dakara device. A reasonable version would only be able to destroy all matter indiscriminately, not just organic matter (as the latter would be too powerful; too easy to capture enemy ships), and only a relatively small amount (say a few thousand tons) around the impact site. I'm thinking of a big unweidly projector stuck to the front of the ship that worked like the main guns on the Excalibur (from 'Crusade'); firing would drain all ships power for a minute or so, but do serious damage to otherwise invulnerable foes. Maybe they could power this highly experimental weapon with the highly experimental power source I proposed here (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=35087&page=4). :)

carcer
September 28th, 2006, 01:36 PM
I have been reading up some real world applications to weaponry that might help in this occasion, take a rail gun, an electromagnetic rail pushing slugs of metal very fast but usig a vast amout of power to do so, hence why we dont have them on the battlefield yet. However in sg we have nuclear reactors, zpms blah blah, so vast, we can do. No need to place nuclear warheads onto slugs of metal to kill ships, all you need is a lump of iron being pushed out of a muzzle via electromagnets, in space there is no friction so in theory it will keep going at those speeds. we just need bigger versions than we do now, like 1 tonners or something, i can only imagine that the "modern" sg railgun slugs are a few cms, so just biggerise it all and blow everyhting else to hell is what i say!

Ouroboros
September 28th, 2006, 07:42 PM
This site gives you a fairly decent run down of potential space based weapon concepts. What works, what doesn't and why.

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3x.html

The guy set it up to help aspiring sci-fi writers get their ducks in a row. you know, so they wouldn't put pen to paper and start writing about giant ships stationary a few hundred feet apart trading giant globs of unknown glowing goo... Too bad not everyone bothers to read stuff like this.

Mister Oragahn
September 29th, 2006, 05:00 AM
That's a great read. I never realized the Sulaco's railguns were that big.

Ouroboros
September 29th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Yes the USCM actually have railguns that are worth a damn on their lowtech human battleship.

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/sulaco.jpg

See folks, thats what the 304s SHOULD be packing.

jds1982
September 30th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Yes the USCM actually have railguns that are worth a damn on their lowtech human battleship.
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/sulaco.jpg

See folks, thats what the 304s SHOULD be packing.

That's because they're Marines. The Air Force should never have designed a battleship.

Mister Oragahn
October 1st, 2006, 02:16 AM
That's because they're Marines. The Air Force should never have designed a battleship.

Somehow, that's true. I mean, the 304 is just a freaking carrier, and comes with plenty of design flaws, and above all has no way to engage enemy capital ships with very efficient weapons. I mean, it's fine and all to fire missiles, but if they're just so slow, I don't see the point.

The marines may have primarily thought about ship to ship designs before thinking about a ship that can carry fighters.

jds1982
October 1st, 2006, 06:45 AM
Somehow, that's true. I mean, the 304 is just a freaking carrier, and comes with plenty of design flaws, and above all has no way to engage enemy capital ships with very efficient weapons. I mean, it's fine and all to fire missiles, but if they're just so slow, I don't see the point.

The marines may have primarily thought about ship to ship designs before thinking about a ship that can carry fighters.

I just kinda meant that Marines like big guns. Truth be told SGverse space battles are more like modern day armor battles than modern day naval engagements, so it would be a good idea to have someone involved in the design of your ship who actually knows how to fight that way.