This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intergalatic Bridge - 2 Gates?

So I assume most of you saw the trailer for Friday's 'The Return Part 1'...
    Spoiler:
    It seems that each step of the intergalactic bridge is comprised of two stargates scafolded together...

MY question is, can anyone explain to me why each step would need two gates? At each step couldn't you use the same gate you arrived from to dial to the next one? Given that they struggled to get enough gates to make this bridge.. I'm sure they wouldnt have used twice as many gates just so they didnt have to turn the puddle jumper around!

The writer's aren't stupid, so I'm sure they've got a reason...
    Maybe we can come up with it before the show airs?
    Maybe I'm just being an idiot...
    Anyway, ideas people?
    www.AlexReekie.com

It's probably a midway point. The bridge probably uses the same principle as anubis' gate in Prototype. So we wouldn't want someone using the bridge to get to our galaxy all in one shot.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Comment

i agree and i think they need a lot of gates i think on some other post we usumed the gate could travel across the hole galexy and then the distance between the 2 we needed like i want to say 60 gates and i didnt see the trailer anyone have a link

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

Or perhaps each section of it like a tunnel system, each section connected by the stargate's wormhole. The Jumper could just fly into the first and keep going full tilt with all gates along the way pre dialed and you could just fly out of the one and into the next until you get all the way through.

Comment

each gate needs a piont of origin but that would be cool if they could wire the gates together

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

I see it like this.

The Puddle Jumper may only be able to dial Pegasus gates because of it's DHD. There would be no way to tell which glyphs you'd need to press to make your access different parts of the milky way. So the Puddle Jumper dials each Pegasus gate and finally reaches the edge of the milky way. Then someone at the Nexus uses a Milky Way gate and glyps to access Earth and the Puddle Jumper goes through.

Earth would then dial the nexus and when the puddle jumper arrives, it uses it's own DHD to dial the pegasus gate at the nexus to return home.

If that makes any sense.

I don't think they would have needed two gates if the Puddle Jumper had the ability to access both gate systems. It would cause problems by having two gates that close together if the Jumper could access both. Because the DHD on the Jumpers act like a remote, it should access both gates at the same time by dialing unless it's not compatible with both systems (perhaps the PJs require and update or not to change mode or something in order to access both systems)

sigpic

Comment

They said in Pegasus Project that transit time would take approximately 30 minutes. Not sure what bearing that has on anything. My guess would be that the bridgue uses a cascaded dialing program with a custom coordinate set. Dial the first gate and in line and each gate along the way sequentially opens. If the toral trip takes around thirty minutes, then there would have to be some sort of delay with each gate along the way opening just before the jumper is expected to come out of the previous gate to avoid accidental vaporization with the kawoosh and to prevent the accidental automatic shutdown.

That would be the smaart way to do it, but that doesn't account for it taking 30 minutes to cross the distance. Assuming all the gates opened at once and the jumper entered the first gate full-throttle, it should only take 3.5 minutes to cross the boundary between galaxies. This is based on a trip of 60 wormhole jumps with an average of 3.5 seconds per jump as stated in Ripple Effect. So they obviously do have to stop and re-dial. Figuring 30 seconds to dial the next hop plus a 3.5 second transit time multiplied by 60 jumps we get a total transit time of 33.5 minutes to cross the entire bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade
                Earth would then dial the nexus and when the puddle jumper arrives, it uses it's own DHD to dial the pegasus gate at the nexus to return home.

If that makes any sense.
                makes sense, but its more likely to be the alpha site.

remember there's no physical way to land a jumper inside the SGC - not unless it can pull rather directly upwards, anyway...

so i'd guess that they'll land on the alpha site - the most secure location where they maintain a confirmed hold on a DHD and space to land - then walk through to the SGC.
                Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper

remember there's no physical way to land a jumper inside the SGC - not unless it can pull rather directly upwards, anyway...

so i'd guess that they'll land on the alpha site - the most secure location where they maintain a confirmed hold on a DHD and space to land - then walk through to the SGC.
                  Unless we put a Pivot on the SGC gate, point it straight up and open the passage out of the mountain or designate teh floor directly above the gate room as a jumper hangar.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin's_Legacy
                    They said in Pegasus Project that transit time would take approximately 30 minutes. Not sure what bearing that has on anything. My guess would be that the bridgue uses a cascaded dialing program with a custom coordinate set. Dial the first gate and in line and each gate along the way sequentially opens. If the toral trip takes around thirty minutes, then there would have to be some sort of delay with each gate along the way opening just before the jumper is expected to come out of the previous gate to avoid accidental vaporization with the kawoosh and to prevent the accidental automatic shutdown.

That would be the smaart way to do it, but that doesn't account for it taking 30 minutes to cross the distance. Assuming all the gates opened at once and the jumper entered the first gate full-throttle, it should only take 3.5 minutes to cross the boundary between galaxies. This is based on a trip of 60 wormhole jumps with an average of 3.5 seconds per jump as stated in Ripple Effect. So they obviously do have to stop and re-dial. Figuring 30 seconds to dial the next hop plus a 3.5 second transit time multiplied by 60 jumps we get a total transit time of 33.5 minutes to cross the entire bridge.
                    you make great sense of that, even though Atlantis is on the ede of the galaxy close to Milky Way the void between the galaxies must be huge to require 60 gates. seeing as once they are in the milky way all they'd need is a single jump to get to the SGC

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin's_Legacy
                      Unless we put a Pivot on the SGC gate, point it straight up and open the passage out of the mountain or designate teh floor directly above the gate room as a jumper hangar.
                      unfeasible - an automated pivot would be unreliable, and a manual pivot might take too long to adjust in case of offworld emergency and teams coming in hot.

though, tv being tv...
                      Spoiler:

but another reason i don't think so - i've seen a review (due to amaxon's d/l service accidentally having the episode a week early) that suggests the jumper is stolen by the atlantis personnel. but unless they leave someone to re-pivot the gate (after all, it should be restored as per normal operations, regardless) they'll not be able to get out. and if they do leave someone to re-pivot the gate for them, they'll have to leave behind at least 2 members of the team (well, its a metal gate - its gotta be heavy )

Comment

i hate doing this, but i have to correct myself.

Spoiler:
                        there's a screenshot of the jumper INSIDE SGC between the gate and the command room.....?!?!?
                        Spoiler:

Comment

37 gates are used
                          A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

lol that proves it hehe

they will have to do smething because if a team comes in hot with the PJ in there theres not gonna be much room

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper

Well if you remember Moebius, they were able to get out of the gateroom without a problem so the it should be the same on the return trip.

Plus: This friday's episode of Atlantis spoilers
                              Spoiler:
                              Credit to Moho for the image.

Kind of proves me right that they could go directly to earth.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X