PDA

View Full Version : Dhd = Zpm?

Pogo01
September 18th, 2006, 09:40 PM
DHDs are very powerful. It is powered by control crystals or w/e. Why cant we just mimic the control crystals to use it as a ZPM or steal a DHD from a couple planets and somehow connect them to Atlantis. Sure it wont be 100% like a ZPM but its at least half as powerful as a ZPM.

Keeper
September 19th, 2006, 12:02 AM
not really.

there's not much power needed for the average wormhole - but we know that SGC can provide that and more.

if the control crystals were so powerful, then a few naqhuadria generators could keep the antartic chair running for quite some time - after all, one of those, IIRC, is adequate for a wormhole. yet atlantis can't use them for dependable shields/cloak.

zpm!!
September 19th, 2006, 05:41 AM
the dhd has a power source that after it's used once it begins to be charged by something else(like that of a puddle jumper!) we know that 38 mins. is the max time that u can keep a wormhole open. so if u figure out how much power is used in 1 sec by the gate.do 60secs*38mins= amount of energy that the dhd can provide before power levels become to low.

FallenAngelII
September 19th, 2006, 06:27 AM
For the last time: We discontinued the use of Nahquadriah a looooooooong time ago because it proved too unstable!

cowpants
September 19th, 2006, 07:21 AM
We also know from "1969" that a car battery can give the gate enough power to dial. So I guess that the dhd doesn't need to have that much power.

Keeper
September 20th, 2006, 09:29 AM
For the last time: We discontinued the use of Nahquadriah a looooooooong time ago because it proved too unstable!
did we?

oh well. its still relevant - a single naquadria generator could theoretically dial intergalactically if the DHD is equal in power to a ZPM. since it has been used to power a gate before, i think. instability simply provides a difficulty to get around, btw :P

and i think its been said somewhere that only earth can dial atlantis? and then only if there's a ZPM/oniel power source?

Ravroz
September 20th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I'm seriously wondering where it was said that we stopped using naquadria to power our ships. What else could we find to power the Daedalus and Oddysey?

Cap116
October 16th, 2006, 03:27 PM
It says HERE (http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/Daedalus-Class_Ship#Engineering) that in the Daedalus-Class ships they use Asgard Hyperdrives. They are not as powerful as the ones used by the Asgard, but I believe stronger than the Goa'uld hyperdrives. The Prommie was even refitted with one. They no longer use naquadria in the hyperdrives. The only place they use it is to make bombs.

ZPM way more powerful than a DHD Control Crystal.

belistner
October 17th, 2006, 05:21 AM
It says HERE that in the Daedalus-Class ships they use Asgard Hyperdrives. They are not as powerful as the ones used by the Asgard, but I believe stronger than the Goa'uld hyperdrives. The Prommie was even refitted with one. They no longer use naquadria in the hyperdrives. The only place they use it is to make bombs.

there's difference between a hyper space window generator and a power generator .:mckay:
i wouldn't rely on what you see here www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/deadalus-class_ship#engieering anyone can edit whats shown here .
you should go by whats said on the show .
nothing has been said about what powers the 304s/303 since carter said they used naquadria as a short cut to intersteller travel .so as far as we know it's still being used untill we're told otherwise.

dhds are no where near as powerfull as a zpm they last a long time but the power the use is tiny by
comparison

Cap116
October 17th, 2006, 05:36 AM
there's difference between a hyper space window generator and a power generator .:mckay:
i wouldn't rely on what you see here www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/deadalus-class_ship#engieering anyone can edit whats shown here .
nothing has been said about what powers the 304s/303 since carter said they used naquadria as a short cut to intersteller travel .so as far as we know it's still being used untill we're told otherwise.

dhds are no where near as powerfull as a zpm they last a long time but the power the use is tiny by
comparison

True, I understand that anyone can edit what is put on that page. All I was trying to say is that with Asgard Hyperdrive, there should be no reason to use naquadria anymore. Maybe I am wrong. Since the Asgard have provided technology, I see no reason to use naquadria anymore, especially since it is so unreliable.

HAL
October 17th, 2006, 08:58 AM
they didnt say weather the asguard and provided power genirators

and tbh if they had our ships would be far faster

wise one
October 17th, 2006, 12:07 PM
a zpm can last for 10 of thousainds of years or even millions of years dhd's can last a few thousand since they can be charged by like electrity and because they last long is that they use i can be bothered to right the rest sorry

newtrekker
October 17th, 2006, 01:00 PM

comparison

They used the naquadriah hyperspace generator as a short cut to interstellar travel. Which is not being used anymore as the generator blew up over Tagrea. I'm not sure what powers the ship, but I definitely know it's not naquadriah. As it gets more unstable when you draw power from it.

As for this thread. A DHD doesn't have enough power to open intergalactic wormholes.

Cap116
October 17th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I forgot about the naquadria generator blew up from the Prommie.

RepliHawk
October 17th, 2006, 04:53 PM
We also know from "1969" that a car battery can give the gate enough power to dial. So I guess that the dhd doesn't need to have that much power.

But the D.H.D would have to last a long time

belistner
October 18th, 2006, 07:14 AM
They used the naquadriah hyperspace generator as a short cut to interstellar travel. Which is not being used anymore as the generator blew up over Tagrea. I'm not sure what powers the ship, but I definitely know it's not naquadriah. As it gets more unstable when you draw power from it.

the power generator didn't blow up the hyper drive had to be ejected then it blew up .

from what i remember the buffer was damaged by gravity waves from a colapsing star .
with the buffer damaged to much power went to the hyperdrive when they made a small jump to tagrea causing it to overload.
as i said before the hyperdrive and the power generator are 2 completly different pieces of kit .
one provides power to the ship using a buffer to regulate that power keeping it safe .:jonasanime08:
the other just uses that power to create a hyper space window . :samanime20:

the asguard gave us new hyperdives and beaming tech but naquadria is still used to power both:thoranime07:

someone should start a new thread on this it has nothing to do with zpms or dhds

ok after watching again it was the naquadria reactor that blew .
still dont mean we've stoped using naquadria .

.jolinar.
November 3rd, 2006, 09:30 AM
Im sorry about the partially irelevant post but wouldnt it be cool if the ZPM's could recharge over time? imagine if Atlantis had just two ZPM's. just use one while recharging the other?

FallenAngelII
November 3rd, 2006, 10:24 AM
Im sorry about the partially irelevant post but wouldnt it be cool if the ZPM's could recharge over time? imagine if Atlantis had just two ZPM's. just use one while recharging the other?
ZPMs cannot ever be recharged. Because they utilize zero point energy.

In "1969", SG-1 used a car battery (from 1969, no less) to open up a wormhole. I'd say the energy needed to open one is small.