This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scifi Fall Preview Part II

Scifi has posted a nice hefty list and review of the upcoming fall season both TV Series and movies: http://www.scifi.com/sfw/screen/sfw13667.html Be warned, this page contains spoilers for seasons just aired and seasons that ended earlier this year including The 4400, The Dead Zone, Eureka, Blade, Ghost Whisperer, Lost etc.

As for series in development, there were a few standouts I found interesting.

Caprica, SCI FI, in development
    This Battlestar Galactica prequel follows the lives of two families half a century before the events on Battlestar. The Graystones and the Adamas live in a peaceful society, but a breakthrough in robotics is about to change everything as the dream for combining artificial intelligence with a mechanical body is about to be achieved with the creation of the first living robot, a Cylon. From executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick (Battlestar Galactica), writer Remi Aubuchon (24) and NBC Universal Television Studio, this family saga promises to weave together corporate intrigue, action and sexual politics.
    Chariots of the Gods, SCI FI, in development
    Based on Erich von Daniken's best-selling book, this six-hour miniseries will revisit the tale of the extraterrestrial infiltration of human evolution. When a soldier finds an artifact, he learns that it is the key to uncovering an ancient plot and that aliens have been tinkering with human genetics since ancient times. Irwin Winkler, David Winkler and Rob Cowan executive-produce the miniseries, which was written by John Whelpley.
    Snap, SCI FI, in development
    When the Internet secretly becomes sentient, a federal agent finds himself in the middle of a conspiracy of Hitchcockian proportions. In this one-hour thriller from producer Jesse Alexander (Alias, Lost), the artificial intelligence is leading unrelated people to commit petty crimes that have a deeper purpose. The federal agent discovers that the AI has a plan involving a larger unknown agenda, and the only way he can stop the conspiracy is to join it.
    This I just found odd and for that alone I'd check it out.

Mary Christmas, ABC Family, Premieres in December
    Jenny McCarthy plays an uptight business woman who just happens to be the daughter of Santa Claus (George Wendt). She left home four years earlier when she felt she wasn't being recognized for her ideas on modernizing Christmas. But after Mary discovers Santa's had a heart attack, she returns home to help out and give the elves an overhaul. Directed by Ron Underwood from a Garrett Frawley and Brian Turner script.
    I wonder if everything on the list will make it to the screen. Some of it is rehash of old crap but some actually seems genuinely interesting.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

ah yes, the dreaded Sarah Connor Chronicles.

leave it to fox.
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I know... I didn't even bother reading further on that one once I realized what it was. That just sounds like a bad idea. They should try resurrecting and tinkering with some of those shows they canceled back in the day. Might work out better.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Looks like wrestling isn't going away anytime soon.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Some of those shows themselves appear to be redone ideas from other shows. Look at Blink, a show SciFi is developing, it seems like an altered version of Early Edition. Destination Truth seems more like In Search Of. With some of the other shows they are developing, I can see why people hate watching TV these days.

Edit: GOD NO, not another Stan Lee movie...
          "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
          The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

You didn't quote the most important one!

Futurama, Comedy Central, premieres 2008
            We'll have to wait till 2008, but Futurama is coming back with all-new episodes, featuring original voice actors Billy West (Fry and others), Katey Sagal (Leela) and John DiMaggio (Bender). The animated series, from Matt Groening and David X. Cohen and about a pizza delivery guy who accidentally gets frozen in 1999 and wakes up in 2999, found a home for its reruns on The Cartoon Network after Fox canceled the series in 2003. Comedy Central will show both the previously aired episodes and the new ones.

Comment

I didn't forget but I already started a thread about it. Besides, I'm a little disappointed in the long wait.

Comment

I'm interested (in varying degrees) in these:

Alien Invasion, SCI FI, in development
                This half-hour computer animated comedy from Dave Goetsch (3rd Rock from the Sun, Game Over) blends CG animation with live-action backgrounds. The series involves two hapless aliens and their inept attempt to take over the Earth. The problem is that they live in Venice, Calif., and they are far from being the strangest beings even in their own city.

The Bishop, SCI FI, in development
                Executive producers Freddie Prinze Jr. and Conrad Jackson created this one-hour drama about a young slacker who seems to be leading a charmed life. When he learns he has a supernatural gift that comes from his lineage, he sets out to learn more about the father he never knew.

Devil's Advocate, SCI FI, in development
                All they need to do is put Da Vinci Code somewhere in the title. This proposed series features a professor of theology who is hired by a global corporation to explore bizarre cases and decide whether they can be explained naturally or whether there are supernatural forces at work. The professor forms a team of "devil's advocates," and they discover a world of secret societies, religious espionage and genetic research. From Survivor's Mark Burnett and DreamWorks Television, this one-hour conspiracy thriller is written by Jonas McCord (Earth: Final Conflict).

Ground Control, SCI FI, in development
                A half-hour late-night news/talk show, this series explores human interest and news stories relating to science fiction and the supernatural. From Carson Daly Productions.

Masters of Science Fiction, ABC, premieres in early 2007
                Acclaimed physicist Stephen Hawking will host this one-hour anthology series featuring tales from some of the greatest science fiction writers of our time. Based on the stories of Harlan Ellison, Robert Sheckley, Robert Heinlein and John Kessel, this series will feature a star-studded acting lineup, including Judy Davis, Sam Waterston, Anne Heche, Malcolm McDowell, Terry O'Quinn and Brian Dennehy. The directors include Jonathan Frakes, Mark Rydell and Michael Tolkin. Six episodes have been ordered.

Outpost, SCI FI, in development
                This epic miniseries from executive producer Lynda Obst (Contact) follows a group of explorers in the near future who travel to a planet in our solar system to establish a new colony. However, the discovery of an ancient artifact buried on the planet sets their adventure on an unexpected course. Written by Eric Jendresen and produced by astronomer David Grinspoon.

Persons Unknown, SCI FI, in development
                It's Survivor meets Lost when a group of strangers wake up in a deserted town with no memory of how they got there. Security cameras watch their every move, and when they try to leave the town they are stopped by mysterious forces. With their only source of information coming from remotely controlled televisions, the group begins to turn on each other. And when a new group arrives, everything they believe in will be tested. Academy Award-winning writer Christopher McQuarrie (The Usual Suspects) and Heather McQuarrie executive-produce this one-hour series from Fox Television Studios.

Prove It, SCI FI, in development
                Mark DeCarlo offers this reality game show, which features a lighthearted panel discussion exploring outlandish sci-fi-based theories.

The Lost Room, SCI FI, premieres in December
                Peter Krause and Julianna Margulies star in this year's big miniseries event for SCI FI. The six-hour limited series is about a detective named Joe Miller (Krause) who gets sucked into a mystery involving a mysterious motel room filled with ordinary objects that may not be so ordinary. When his daughter vanishes from the room, Krause knows he must uncover the secret of the room if he is ever going to see her again. Roger Bart and Elle Fanning co-star. Craig R. Baxley and Michael Watkins direct a script written by Christopher Leone, Laura Harkcom and Paul Workman, with Richard Hatem executive-producing.
                When they say "in development", does that mean it's more or less likely to actually make it on the air.

"Persons Unknown" sounds more like The Prisoner than Lost to me.

"Prove It" a panel discussion game show? How do you suppose that works?

"The Lost Room" I'm disappointed--I didn't realize this would just be a miniseries; I thought it would be a regular series.

"Masters of Science Fiction" I'm looking forward to this one the most. It's what I'd hoped the Sci-Fi channel would be when it first started.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
                  When they say "in development", does that mean it's more or less likely to actually make it on the air.
                  "In Development" just means a show got to the "Spec Script" stage. In general, there are thousands of concepts for shows "pitched" to networks/studios every year. Of those, maybe 10% go into "development", some of those may even get a "pilot" ordered, and even fewer actually get "green lighted" for a series. Shows in development could also be shelved and possibly be revisited/revived later.

One could have a "killer" concept that excites the studio/network, but the advertisers are lukewarm to it. A lot of money is spent/invested (gambled?) each year on concepts/shows that may never see the light of day. That includes shows that are "commissioned" by a network for a studio to develop a "spin-off show" (like SG:A for example) and several spin-off concepts may be proposed/modified before one is accepted.

"Lost in Space" (2003) was a possible series that filmed a pilot episode/movie and was commissioned by the WB. But the executives (WB) decided not to pick it up after screening the pilot. The sets were bought by BSG and used for scenes on the Battlestar Pegasus.

"The Time Tunnel" has been on and off for the past 5 years. FOX ordered a pilot episode (in 2002) but decided it was too close to Stargate since it involved "a series of huge metallic rings". But the original TT had those rings so it wasn't like they stole/borrowed the idea/concept and besides, the TT crew were time travellers. The SFC announced in 2005 it was ordering a pilot episode/movie for a possible 2006/2007 airing. Might end up just being a TV movie like "B5: Legend of the Rangers" was, with no series being green lighted...but who knows for sure?
                  It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Working...
                  X