This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with "The Pegasus Project"

Forgive me if some of the things I'm about are stupid or make no sense. But since I've seen The Pegasus Project, a few things have been irking me. A) If they can get a control crystal to use on the gate that they used to connect to the supergate, why can't they do the same thing for the gate at SGC? And to be able to connect, what power source did they use to connect. Did the Odessy supply the power or something else? B) Just because one hive ship was able to detect the bombs going off, what's to stop another one from doing the same? Another hive shows up, sees the active gate and sends some darts and boom... one way ticket to the Milky Way. C) I'm not all up to speed w/ the Ori plot but I've read about it so, what's to stop the Ori from building another Supergate?

1) The gate at the SGC already possesses an crystal capable of dialing another galaxy.
    2) The gate drew it's power from the black hole it was getting close to.
    3) There probably wasn't one in the area.
    4) Nothing's to stop them, though it may be a little difficult because of location. With all the current black holes in the Milky Way Galaxy, it could cause to much interference. That's just a guess.
    http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

They don't use a control crystal in the SGC becasue they don't need it, they have the dailing computer instead. The gates between Pegasus and the Milky Way were powered by the black hole in Pegasus. I belive darts could travel to the Milky Way using the gate, but they would be stranted and they wouldn't know where the gate would go anyway. I don't think there is anything to stop the Ori from building another Supergate.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304
        They don't use a control crystal in the SGC becasue they don't need it, they have the dailing computer instead. The gates between Pegasus and the Milky Way were powered by the black hole in Pegasus. I belive darts could travel to the Milky Way using the gate, but they would be stranted and they wouldn't know where the gate would go anyway. I don't think there is anything to stop the Ori from building another Supergate.
        Agree and Pegasus is closer to the ori Galaxy(have they named it and I missed something) than we are so we would likely need not only an adress but another powersource to activate the ninth chevron.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

If an object tries to go from a supergte to a regular gate, what would happen if its too big? It would probably be destroyed. To prevent such a thing, I don't think that actual travel is possible between a supergate and a regualr gate. Its only a wormhole connection. I think there would be too many problems with materializing. I doubt anything could survive travel.

Comment

Originally posted by einx359
            If an object tries to go from a supergte to a regular gate, what would happen if its too big? It would probably be destroyed. To prevent such a thing, I don't think that actual travel is possible between a supergate and a regualr gate. Its only a wormhole connection. I think there would be too many problems with materializing. I doubt anything could survive travel.
            Probably true but what's to say there isn't a regular gate in the Ori galaxy somewhere. Mabey there is sometype of Lantian city there like Atlantis or something similar just abandoned long ago? Perhaps there is a gate there and a way to travel to other areass in the Ori galaxy. I.e Auroa class ship?

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantean2005
              Forgive me if some of the things I'm about are stupid or make no sense. But since I've seen The Pegasus Project, a few things have been irking me. A) If they can get a control crystal to use on the gate that they used to connect to the supergate, why can't they do the same thing for the gate at SGC? And to be able to connect, what power source did they use to connect. Did the Odessy supply the power or something else? B) Just because one hive ship was able to detect the bombs going off, what's to stop another one from doing the same? Another hive shows up, sees the active gate and sends some darts and boom... one way ticket to the Milky Way. C) I'm not all up to speed w/ the Ori plot but I've read about it so, what's to stop the Ori from building another Supergate?
              (It would have been nice if you would've seperated the list items, rather than bunching them up like that. They're relatively different items and of reasonable lengths each, so a little more seperation in the list, like my reply, would've been nice.)

A) This isn't necessary: The SGC has a dialing computer, so they don't need a control crystal.

B) The gate in Pegasus was rapidly approaching a black hole. It'd be dangerous to send anything close to it at this point, probably, and if they did, either it'd be:
              - (1) sucked back in from the gavitational field or
              - (2) stranded.

C) Nothing, but it'll take then time to do so.
              This poster has a Superiority Complex. Apologies in advance.

Comment

Isn't the whole dialing control crystal only needed from Pegasus? Isn't it a safety measure installed by the Ancients when they discovered the magnitutde of the Wraith threat? It shouldn't work both ways...
                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304
                  Not to mention they'd have to know there was an active Stargate near the black hole to begin with. I mean, hello, black hole.

Who's stupid enough to actively seek out black holes unless they're the Ori?

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
                    Not to mention they'd have to know there was an active Stargate near the black hole to begin with. I mean, hello, black hole.

Who's stupid enough to actively seek out black holes unless they're the Ori?

Well the SGC did seek out a black hole themselves in Pegasus!

Also we saw a Hive follow Odyssey into the black hole themselves. While the gate is very close, if they get on the right approach angle, then while they will be pulled in, they could still go through the spacegate first.

I'm surprised if the Wraith don't try to follow up on it at some point. I'm sure they are smart enough to see that the gate is constantly on & being powered by the bh, so would assume that it will go a place very far therefore a potential new feeding ground.

Getting contacts back wouldn't be a problem either, because they could send them back through the open gates on each end relayed to a Hive or Cruiser back in Pegasus.

It would be good to see them follow up on it later on in the season, but I have a feeling they'll simply ignore it again like it never happened!

Comment

Sure the Wraith may be able to use the stargate to send darts to the MW; however, what is a dart, or even many darts, going to be able to do once it gets there. The only habitable planet was destroyed to power the supergate (okay, I am make the not unreasonable assumption the the blackhole powering the supergate was created in the same manner as in beachhead, and that the system only had one habitable plant), and darts are not capable of interstellar travel (again, I am making the assumption that darts do not have hyperdrive generators, not unreasonable given that we have never seen a dart use a hyperdrive generator.)

This is ofcourse ingnoring the difficulty of approaching the stargate on the Pegasus side, and the time dilation on the Milky Way side. What happens if the Wraith sends thousands of dart to the Milky Way, but by the time the escape the time dilation effect around the Supergate, hundreds of years have passed by.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlue
                        Sure the Wraith may be able to use the stargate to send darts to the MW; however, what is a dart, or even many darts, going to be able to do once it gets there. The only habitable planet was destroyed to power the supergate (okay, I am make the not unreasonable assumption the the blackhole powering the supergate was created in the same manner as in beachhead, and that the system only had one habitable plant), and darts are not capable of interstellar travel (again, I am making the assumption that darts do not have hyperdrive generators, not unreasonable given that we have never seen a dart use a hyperdrive generator.)

This is ofcourse ingnoring the difficulty of approaching the stargate on the Pegasus side, and the time dilation on the Milky Way side. What happens if the Wraith sends thousands of dart to the Milky Way, but by the time the escape the time dilation effect around the Supergate, hundreds of years have passed by.
                        Yeah I don't think we have to worry about the Wraith using the supergate.

Comment

like i said before, I don't think it is possible for actual travel between a regular gate and a supergate. I mean, the wormhole is essentially two holes that are connected to each other. There isn't really a "tunnel". Now, for the purpose of comprehension, lets use the example of a stargate being like a hole in the ceiling of a room leading to the floor of another room The hole is the same size underneath as it is above. So everything works out fine. However, imagine if the hole underneath was 100 times the size of the hole above? What would happen if you tried to send a plane through? It wouldn't be able to fit through. Now, what would happen the other way, if you sent something through the small hole to the big hole? Well, the distance between two points on the small hole is similar to the distance between the same two points on the big hole, but not congruent. I think that if you were to send something through, tis atoms would be scattered around and you would be sent out of the big hole/supergate as pretty much individual atoms.

Comment

The Wraith darts have no hyperspace travel, that's why when the scout first reached Atlantis in "The Brotherhood" they said so then. Cause the dart they were tracking had been flying at "Beyond maximum speed" for extended periods of time from a nearby gate.

Besides, Bra'tac and Teal'c said the Jaffa were keeping ships near the supergate to see if anymore Ori vessels come through, so the Wraith would have to fight them first. And that assumes that the Darts can survive the hole long enough to get to the gate which IIRC is still on a decaying orbit into the hole.

Comment

about the control crystal i no this is a little off topic but the bridge does the one that is half way need a control crystal to make the cenection to the mw gates or will it work like the one connected to the supergate

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

Working...
                              X