This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

submarines and the rest of the planet

okay somebody has probably mentioned this already, but where are all the subs? i mean if atlantis was underwater for awhile, there had to be some subs somewhere. maybe puddle jumpers are also capable of underwater travel?
    and what do you think is under the surface? anything interesting? any fish for that matter?
    also so theres a large land mass that can support crops and doesnt seem dangerous, but then why wasnt it inhabited in the first place? i guess the ancients didnt need to, but they couldve set up bases or something, i guess setting it up on the land would just be too unhidden?
    how does the city float on top of all that water anyway?
    Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
    Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
    Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
    Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

Entirely possible they just haven't found the submarines yet. My guess is that they will be finding toys in the city for years... among other things. Also there is the option that if they do get a chance to resupply from earth (which isn't out of the question) that something on their wish list could be mini-subs.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
      Entirely possible they just haven't found the submarines yet. My guess is that they will be finding toys in the city for years... among other things. Also there is the option that if they do get a chance to resupply from earth (which isn't out of the question) that something on their wish list could be mini-subs.
      and hey i wanna see how sheppard's surfing expeditions are going!

Comment

The land mass wasn't populated by anything because anyone who was living there was wiped out by the wraith when the ancients evacuated. Or they fell back to the city.
        We are the ori. You will be assymilated. Resistance is futile.

Comment

Originally posted by ToastBusters
          The land mass wasn't populated by anything because anyone who was living there was wiped out by the wraith when the ancients evacuated. Or they fell back to the city.
          yes, but wouldnt there be some sort of remains of a structure? possibly ruins? just evidence that would suggest that somebody lived there once.

Comment

Maybe we just haven't found it yet. The land mass, if I'm remembering right, is the size of Asia...

Comment

Maybe we just haven't found it yet. The land mass, if I'm remembering right, is the size of Asia...
              yea but if you flew over the thing with a jumper, u were probably bound to spot something.
              and when do we get the surfing episode?

Comment

Originally posted by kodamawu
                yea but if you flew over the thing with a jumper, u were probably bound to spot something.
                and when do we get the surfing episode?
                Well, if you flew over asia with an airplane....

... seriously, there is only so much you can see out the window of a jumper at attitude, it's not like they have spy cameras in them. And it would take years to do a systematic survey of that land mass.

My guess is surfing is going to be a while too, I'm not sure there is much of it to be had in BC.

Comment

Well, if you flew over asia with an airplane....

... seriously, there is only so much you can see out the window of a jumper at attitude, it's not like they have spy cameras in them. And it would take years to do a systematic survey of that land mass.

My guess is surfing is going to be a while too, I'm not sure there is much of it to be had in BC.
                  well okay, but if asia was completely barren and there was only one city. it would stick out like a sore thumb.

Comment

well okay, but if asia was completely barren and there was only one city. it would stick out like a sore thumb.
                    They missed the hive ship while staring at it, not to mention that it's pretty much accepted that there are entire cities that have yet to be discovered under the cover of jungles in south and central america.

It's been a very very long time since anything on the continent has been occupied.

Comment

They missed the hive ship while staring at it, not to mention that it's pretty much accepted that there are entire cities that have yet to be discovered under the cover of jungles in south and central america.

It's been a very very long time since anything on the continent has been occupied.
                      well we had a pretty good aerial view of it, and there werent any jungles to speak of. and the hive ship had trees covering it making it look like a mountain, i didnt notice any trees either, but maybe i should go back and watch it again or something.

Comment

well we had a pretty good aerial view of it, and there werent any jungles to speak of. and the hive ship had trees covering it making it look like a mountain, i didnt notice any trees either, but maybe i should go back and watch it again or something.
                        It's the size of Asia. There are likely many different climates, and from that orbit, with just the naked eye, it's nearly impossible to tell a pine forrest from a jungle, either of which would conceal any ruins after 10,000 years.

Comment

It's the size of Asia. There are likely many different climates, and from that orbit, with just the naked eye, it's nearly impossible to tell a pine forrest from a jungle, either of which would conceal any ruins after 10,000 years.
                          true, but any sort of forest or jungle would be at least somewhat noticeable, if all you see is land... but you could definitely be right

Comment

...how does the city float on top of all that water anyway?
                            Same way carriers and large deep sea oil rigs do...the water is denser than a structure (regardless of size) comprised chiefly of hollow compartments.

The city only needs to push aside water equivelant to its weight.

I am wondering, as the planet has only the ONE continent <?> That massive sea would have to have some serious storms that could damage the city.

Currents would be unbroken by intervening land masses.
                            "Let's make it TEN. Ten's a nice...round...number..." -- Morty

Comment

Originally posted by Hohenzollern
                              Same way carriers and large deep sea oil rigs do...the water is denser than a structure (regardless of size) comprised chiefly of hollow compartments.

The city only needs to push aside water equivelant to its weight.

I am wondering, as the planet has only the ONE continent <?> That massive sea would have to have some serious storms that could damage the city.

Currents would be unbroken by intervening land masses.
                              well tides are controlled by the moon, and maybe the local moon is just funky

Comment

Working...
                              X