This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternate power source for Atlantis

I may be and idiot and this question may have already been asked but I'm asking anyway: Why doen't the braintrust on Atlantis devise a way to use the ocean's currents to produce hydroelectric power to power the city?
    I was wise once; when I was born, I cried. — Welsh proverb

Originally posted by Bluefox75
    I may be and idiot and this question may have already been asked but I'm asking anyway: Why doen't the braintrust on Atlantis devise a way to use the ocean's currents to produce hydroelectric power to power the city?
    It would not be enough to make any signifigant difference.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Comment

The city already has water purification facilities so it likely theres some kind of HEP going on, perhaps to power the lighting in corridors etc. But its not worth a full scale plant, atlantis is a power drainer on a scale never seen by HEP engineers. they wouldnt know where to start.
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
        The city already has water purification facilities so it likely theres some kind of HEP going on, perhaps to power the lighting in corridors etc. But its not worth a full scale plant, atlantis is a power drainer on a scale never seen by HEP engineers. they wouldnt know where to start.
        Um. . . . . with the water?

Comment

errm...thats not what he meant.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Ocean hydroelectric is not efficient even IRL, not to mention destructive. The cleanest forms of energy we have is Solar and Nuclear, nuclear giving much more power than any other form, however still wouldn't give enough to begin powering Atlantis.
            You know what I think?
            It don't really matter what I think.

Comment

Ok, just a thought...
              I was wise once; when I was born, I cried. — Welsh proverb

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar.
                errm...thats not what he meant.
                Hello, I'm a joke.

It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Comment

Originally posted by Orbital-Burn
                  Ocean hydroelectric is not efficient even IRL, not to mention destructive. The cleanest forms of energy we have is Solar and Nuclear, nuclear giving much more power than any other form, however still wouldn't give enough to begin powering Atlantis.
                  Which really doesn't make any sense. I mean, hell, a naquadah generator won't even power a freakin' chair. What I don't get is why don't they just create a microsingularity (a micro black hole), put it in some sort of containment device, and just draw the power from that?
                  http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
                    Which really doesn't make any sense. I mean, hell, a naquadah generator won't even power a freakin' chair. What I don't get is why don't they just create a microsingularity (a micro black hole), put it in some sort of containment device, and just draw the power from that?
                    OK and how do you propose they do that?

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
                      Oh well of course it's so simple now! Nah actually they do have artificial gravity generators, so theoretically in the SG verse it's possible (for humans, I know other races already can do it). The problem I see with that is...McKay. He has a habit of making small problems really big problems. Now correct me if I'm wrong but the only energy a black hole emits is periodic spurts of X-rays which are a result of it gobbling up matter. So they would have to feed their black hole to get power. Well I suppose we've found a new use for the Athosians.
                      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

oh yeah a micro black hole that we have to feed to get energy, whats next a bunch of hampsters running in the little wheels??? i say we just keep trying to tap other dimentions, who ares if it messes them up?

Comment

Originally posted by Eberhardt
                          oh yeah a micro black hole that we have to feed to get energy, whats next a bunch of hampsters running in the little wheels??? i say we just keep trying to tap other dimentions, who ares if it messes them up?
                          Well I'm sure the residents of those other dimensions would care, especially since it might destroy their universe.
                          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982
                            Oh well of course it's so simple now! Nah actually they do have artificial gravity generators, so theoretically in the SG verse it's possible (for humans, I know other races already can do it). The problem I see with that is...McKay. He has a habit of making small problems really big problems. Now correct me if I'm wrong but the only energy a black hole emits is periodic spurts of X-rays which are a result of it gobbling up matter. So they would have to feed their black hole to get power. Well I suppose we've found a new use for the Athosians.

i dont think that the asgard anti gravity generatorys are any where close to strough enough a black hole even very small has a ton of gravity

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

Originally posted by ur uncle urgo
                              i dont think that the asgard anti gravity generatorys are any where close to strough enough a black hole even very small has a ton of gravity
                              My point is that they know how to manipulate gravity, and that they might use that knowledge to create a black hole. I didn't expect them to just crank up the artificial gravity generators.

Comment

Working...
                              X