This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NBC make A JOKE OUT OF SG1 FANS!!!

The SCI-FI Channel is becoming a joke. Talk of the name changing to Surge TV and just the attitude of the powers that run it.
    NBC has even went as far as to make a joke of its SG1 fans by putting on this. With laughter in the background and making us look like a bunch of nuts. It is clear that not only the SCI-fi Channel, But NBC as well do not respect us.
    YOU MUST SEE THIS VIDEO TO GET THE FULL EFFECT OF ITS INTENT.
    This page is from http://savestargatesg1.com/news/?p=283

Pierre Bernard’s Recliner of Rage shout-out!
    September 9th, 2006 by Alison
    The Save Stargate SG-1 campaign’s efforts to raise awareness among offline fans received a tremendous boost on the Friday 8 September edition of NBC’s Late Night with Conan O’Brien.

Graphic designer Pierre Bernard is famous for his ‘Recliner of Rage’ sketches, in which he’s “comfortable and furious.” In a previous skit, Pierre humorously ranted about the return of Daniel Jackson to the show and made such a hit with Stargate’s fans and the show’s producers, he was invited to make a cameo appearance on the show in Season 7, and also hosted one of SCI FI Channel’s Lowdown specials.

Our friends at Alteran Ancients.com launched a Conan O’Brien/Pierre Bernard write-in early on in the campaign, which we subsequently advocated here at SaveStargateSG1.com as one of our letter writing tracks. To the delight of all those who wrote to Conan and Pierre, in last night’s Recliner of Rage, Pierre tackled the cancellation of Stargate SG-1!

Our sincere congratulations to Alteran Ancients.com for this wonderful payoff to the write-in efforts of Stargate’s fans.

Pierre Bernard’s Recliner of Rage segment:

“Recently I’ve been spending even more time than usual online. Partly because I’ve been collecting anime action figures by Monsieur-Bome on eBay, but mostly because of all the opinions I’ve been posting in the SG1 <unclear> newsgroup on Yahoo.

Stargate is by far my favourite TV show, so you can imagine how stunned I was when I discovered on August 19th at 10.23am that SCI FI network was cancelling it.

The news was so devastating that I became light-headed and I prayed that it was all just a horrible night’s dream. I even took one of the vicodin’s I had been prescribed after my recent kidney stone surgery, but even that couldn’t ease my pain.

I soon found out that a SCI FI Channel executive named MARK STERN was largely responsible for cancelling Stargate. He immediately went to the top of my enemies list.

You see, Stargate SG-1 had been my favourite television show. It also served as the crown jewel in my Friday night SCI FI Channel lineup, which also included Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica.

The glorious lineup was made all the more compelling by the presence of actresses Amanda Tapping, Grace Park, Rachel Luttrell, who together form my holy trinity of fantasy females.

Now my Friday night SCI FI fantasy threesome has been completely destroyed.

Bottom line, America! Mark Stern should reverse his decision on cancelling Stargate SG-1 so I can continue to enjoy my Friday night fantasy threesome!”

Write Mark Stern!

Mark Stern is SCI FI Channel’s Excutive Vice President for Original Programming and one of our two main SCI FI targets for letters, calls and faxes, along with his boss Bonnie Hammer [President, SCI FI and USA networks]. Now we know he is the one responsible for cancelling Stargate SG-1.

He’s also responsible for this statement to the press, August 26th: “There is not going to be [an 11th season] on U.S. television,” Stern said flatly. “Our contract with MGM prohibits it.”

Mark Stern is the executive who took our show from us. Let’s focus our lobbying to rescind the cancellation squarely on him.

Mark Stern, Executive Vice President Original Programming
    NBC Universal | Sci Fi Channel
    100 Universal City Plaza
    Bld. 1440, 14th Floor
    Universal City, CA 91608
    Tel: (818) 777-1000

Fax: (212) 664-3890

Let’s keep those letters, faxes and calls coming. Our combined efforts are definitely being noticed at NBC and SCI FI!

Posted in News |

17 Responses
    Alison Says:
    September 9th, 2006 at 12:14 pm
    I find it ironic in the extreme that Pierre Bernard should say exactly what we fans have been saying: Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica together were a ‘holy trinity’ on Friday nights. Taking Galactica out of the mix, reducing that three hour viewing block to a two hour viewing block, has hit SG-1 and Atlantis hard, and there’s no guarantee Galactica will fare well without the Stargates to support it.

Perhaps the most infuriating element of this entire fiasco is that SG-1 was NOT a struggling show. It was a successful show, a show continuing to grow in its *9th* season. That’s unique. The ratings slide didn’t ‘happen’ to Stargate, it was *done* to Stargate. SCI FI Channel killed the show with its poor scheduling decisions and Mark Stern pulled the plug.

Rachel Cooper Says:
    September 9th, 2006 at 1:16 pm
    Thank you so much to Conan O’Brien for putting this segment on his show. Maybe it will be a step in the right direction towards making a difference and SAVING OUR SHOW! Just a happy shout out. You go, Conan! Thanks for the help!

Meanmon13 Says:
    September 9th, 2006 at 1:49 pm
    Thanks for the transcript!!! If anyone has a link to the video please post it… i’d like to see it!

Carol Ann McCarn Says:
    September 9th, 2006 at 2:26 pm
    I have written one email concerning the cancelation of SG1. I was as surprised as the rest of you that it was cancelled. It is one of the few decent series on tv that even the youngest viewer liked as well as those of us who are a bit older. My grandchildren love the show. My grandsons who are 5 and 7, think Tel’c should be in the “Super Hero’s” section at the stores, along with Spiderman, the Fantastic 4, Batman and other Super Heros.
    My granddaughers also like Tel’c but they like Capt/Major Carter, Dr. Daniel Jackson and Major-General Jack O’Neill. We would all like to see the show continue. We adapted to Claudia Black and Ben Browder coming into the show, I say let us give them a chance to continue to make great tv even better.
    Thank you for letting me make my comment.
    Carol Ann McCarn

Rarocks24 Says:
    September 9th, 2006 at 3:01 pm
    So now we know who cancelled SG1. Mark Stern, you have angered all of us, from Pierre Bernard, to me. You have unleashed a storm you’ve never faced. A few years ago, I participated in a campaign to get FOX to bring back Family Guy. We won that campaign, and we’ll win this one too. Pierre, you’ve once again outdone yourself. SciFi, be warned, we have allies, our ranks will grow, and so will your inboxes. If it takes two, three years to get Stargate back, then so be it. You have truly ruined the holy trinity of the Friday Night lineup.

Perhaps Pierre should have also commented on his opinions about SciFi showing Wrestling on it’s network too. Otherwise, you’ll lose Atlantis, and the people that watch your network, will never forgive you.

SciFi, you’re on notice.

Renee Says:
    September 9th, 2006 at 3:53 pm
    This was so cool! He said exactly what all Stargate fans are thinking and feeling. Now if only we could get David Letterman to say something on his show! My children love watching the show with me and this is our family night for tv since this is the favorite show for all of us. My daughter can watch 5 seconds of a previous episode and tell you what the name of the episode is and the plotline. SAVE STARGATE SG-1!

Ben Says:
    September 9th, 2006 at 4:57 pm
    A cameo for Conan too? Eh? Eh?

And I wish that Pierre’s character would become recurrent.

saneTV Says:
    September 9th, 2006 at 5:22 pm
    Pierre? He’s all right.

*nods and grins*

Ian Says:
    September 9th, 2006 at 6:38 pm
    please! Jay Leno! David Leterman! Oprah! take Conan’s lead and protest the cancellation of Stargate SG-1!

Minder Says:
    September 9th, 2006 at 9:24 pm
    I posted the link at the top by the picture. I tried to imbed it, but the site wouldnt take it.

S L Folwell MD Says:
    September 9th, 2006 at 9:31 pm
    Kudos to Conan and Pierre for first of all, being in the brotherhood of avid Stargate viewers and secondly, for having the guts to speak up for all of us stunned and disappointed fans!! Thank you and everyone, please keep the pressure on to rescind this cancellation!

becca Says:
    September 9th, 2006 at 10:34 pm
    Thank you, Pierre. You have done all of us working our butts off to rescue this show a great favor. Today alone I have sent 11 e-mails, including one to Mark Stern saying that I hope he gets walled into his office with kleenex boxes, one letter through this website, and I am trying to figure out how to send my kleenex box through the mail.
    We will prevail, people.

Myrddin Says:
    September 9th, 2006 at 10:37 pm
    I’d like to thank the SaveStargateSG1.com site for posting this up on their site. Me and my Partner worked hard to come up with this idea and make this happen. We thank Everyone for their Support on helping us (alteranancients.com) on making this project a success

Sincerely,
    Janus & Myrddin (Founders of the Conan O’ Brien Campaign)

George Cheung Says:
    September 9th, 2006 at 11:22 pm
    Way to go Conan & Pierre. I am glad that you have taken notice on this situation. I hope to see both of you guys in a episode of Stargate SG-1 in the near future. Again way to go Conan & Pierre. Stargate SG-1 forever.

Gary M. Says:
    September 10th, 2006 at 12:25 am
    I faxed Bonnie and Mark this week. About Letting SG1 go to another channel or to renew it. Also about the ECW and other non SCI-FI programs They are airing just to get ratings from the chosen few with those black rating boxes that do not show a true vewing slice of the pie. I also told them both to ge serious and do some web research into this matter to see how people feel about how they are doing their jobs.

carole Says:
    September 10th, 2006 at 5:10 am
    I’m not too sure that I can join in the adulation. Yes he wants SG1 back but so he can fantasise about Amanda Tapping. OK, so hes a guy in need and i can give him the benefit of the doubt on that one, BUT and its a BIG BUT, this guy came to ‘fame’ by dissing the CHARACTER and indirectly the ACTOR who made the show something special - Daniel/ Michael .
    I’m not too sure why he did that but it certainly wasnt to do the SG1 I have been watching any favours.
    Just for the record. This fella ISNT a ‘fan favourite’ in my books. He DIDNT express ‘ the fans opinion’ when he was extremely rude towards Daniel/ Michael ; he got very good things out of doing that - lots of publicity for himself and TWO appearances on SG1 including a chance to stare lovingly into his heroine’s eyes and even worse the guy CANT ACT himself out of a paper bag. I find it very hard to jump on the ‘praise be to Pierre’ bandwagon even though I dont want to see SG1 cancelled because s10 is turning out to be pretty good.

Minder Says:
    September 10th, 2006 at 8:02 am
    carole

Conan OBrien runs a comedy show. Everything that he puts on has to be funny to someone. The whole skit was mildy insulting to us, and full of inuendo about us. Negative inuendo. BUT I DONT CARE!!! HE GOT THE WORD OUT YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

I dont mean to yell, but I am happy he did this. This kind of press, while mildy insulting to us, can only be good for us. If it helps save our show, then im all for it. Heck I would go on his show and let his little dog insult me if it meant saving SG-1

| Contact the Campaign Steerers | Campaign Press Releases | Copyright © 2006. All Rights Reserved. |

Pierre is an honest fan and he did what he could to help the cause. His forum is on a comedy show, so that is the mode he had to offer his support to us in. He does support us, as well as the show. This is just his schtick.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen the Fangirl
      Pierre is an honest fan and he did what he could to help the cause. His forum is on a comedy show, so that is the mode he had to offer his support to us in. He does support us, as well as the show. This is just his schtick.
      That is the way the Conon O'Brien show operates, although I'm sure most people could do without the threesome fantasy stuff, but then some late night talk shows are geared more toward the college age crowds than the working crowd.

Comment

Although I don't find the Recliner of Rage segment as making a joke of us fans, the show has before. Last year, Pierre went to the Creation NJ Con (which I was at). He was onstage and stuff, and he did stuff with Michael and Chris. There was a ton of great footage to show. What ends up in the segment? Mostly Pierre talking to some geeky Doctor Who fan, who talks mostly about shows other than Stargate!

Comment

Originally posted by Jen the Fangirl
          I couldn't agree more. Pierre did what he could in the situation. SG-1's cancellation is no joke to him.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by TheUnknown
            Although I don't find the Recliner of Rage segment as making a joke of us fans, the show has before. Last year, Pierre went to the Creation NJ Con (which I was at). He was onstage and stuff, and he did stuff with Michael and Chris. There was a ton of great footage to show. What ends up in the segment? Mostly Pierre talking to some geeky Doctor Who fan, who talks mostly about shows other than Stargate!
            That is the way the media ALWAYS treats fan - scifi fans, sports fans. THey find the MOST outlandish, dumbest, etc. fan they can find, and interview them for tv. At a scifi con, they don't interview the 'normal' looking fan, they go for someone in costume (and preferably someone who does, uh, er, cough cough, need to get a life). I've seen TV crew at numerous cons and they always do that.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
              That is the way the Conon O'Brien show operates, although I'm sure most people could do without the threesome fantasy stuff, but then some late night talk shows are geared more toward the college age crowds than the working crowd.
              :lol PB has great taste in the "fantasy women bit...." It also was great the
              3 actresses got some free exposure..(No pun intended.)I am sure most fans
              loved that bit.

Also at least PB did make a good point in a satirical way of the scheduling change complaint. The SG1/SGA/BSG...was the best......line up....
              Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

Originally posted by dec55
                Originally posted by prion
                :lol PB has great taste in the "fantasy women bit...." It also was great the
                3 actresses got some free exposure..(No pun intended.)I am sure most fans
                loved that bit.
                Myself i like Katee Sackoff over Grace Park but i found the "holy trinity of fanatsy women" thing very amusing.

The best part was when Connan says "i'm sure there's one or two people that feel the same way". I think that's a HUGE understatment right there.

Comment

Conan O'Brien is from what I know a very popular show, and even if people take it as a joke, it's no joke that this guy is such a fan, he's rants actually earned him a guest spot twice.It's because of this I think that some people will be able to see that not just fans are out to save the show but at least one guy who's on TV has actually spoken out about it.

I won't pretend that it's going to change anything, but he did something good because he was able to get the news across to even more people and perhaps that can help

sigpic

Comment

Some people take things way to seriously. The whole thing was a joke made out of the situation, and it was very funny. Don't try and turn it into some mighty crusade to save SG-1 or decide to take offence at it either.

Comment

It's not that funny I don't think, and not just because I'm a stargate fan.
                      But as long as it raises awareness, and hopefully helps. I'm not too bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by GMTalkingdeer
                        The SCI-FI Channel is becoming a joke. Talk of the name changing to Surge TV and just the attitude of the powers that run it.
                        NBC has even went as far as to make a joke of its SG1 fans by putting on this. With laughter in the background and making us look like a bunch of nuts. It is clear that not only the SCI-fi Channel, But NBC as well do not respect us.
                        YOU MUST SEE THIS VIDEO TO GET THE FULL EFFECT OF ITS INTENT.
                        This page is from http://savestargatesg1.com/news/?p=283...

You're confused.

You're a bit out of the loop.

Let me explain.

For starters, the whole "Surge TV" thing has been said to be nothing but a joke.

As for the staff/cast member of Late Night addressing the cancellation of SG-1, the guy is known to be a fan of the show. He spoke about the show once before, and ended up being invited to appear on SG-1, playing one of the gateroom team in a single episode.

NBC is not a single entity, sitting in a dark cellar plotting against SG-1 and its fans.

NBC is made up of a lot of people, and not all of them like the fact that SG-1 has been cancelled...because some NBC employees are fans of the show.

Conan tends to be a bit of a rebel where his attitude towards NBC is concerned, so if anything the cancellation of SG-1 being brought up should be viewed as "the little guy" standing up to NBC and saying "We don't like what you're doing."

You really should be more informed on things before making such an emotionally charged post.

Yes, we DO all want SG-1 to be saved.

No, we do NOT want to be made fun of, and that's NOT what Late Night was doing.

Comment

I love Pierre!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ECN
                            NBC is not a single entity, sitting in a dark cellar plotting against SG-1 and its fans.
                            NBC is a legal entity But they don't plot in dark cellars; they have high rise offices for that

Comment

The video has been removed at the request of NBC. We had over 18000 hits in about 30 hours. The man fights back

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SCIFI/index.html
                              http://www.savesg1.org

Comment

Working...
                              X