PDA

View Full Version : The Return, Part 1 (310)

Pages : 1 [2]

Beal
September 27th, 2006, 05:54 AM
I figure that (okay, based off spoiler info for the second half)

And why, exactly do you feel it's appropriate to post spoilers for the next episode in this thread?

I've stopped reading the episode forums for this exact reason, and the one time I come back I'm immediatly spoiled again.

doylefan22
September 27th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Yeah, but Jack O'Neill has no bond or real friendship with either Sheppard or Weir. That's what I'm saying. Jack certainly helped put Sheppard and Weir on Atlantis, but these people are not personal friends. They are acquaintances, imo. Nothing more.

But he has certainly taken a vested interest in both of them in the past. Weir's subconcious created Jack in TRW. It was clear that he is someone she respects and trusts. From what we've seen of them working together they know each other quite well and get on. Sheppard he almost set up as his protege, persuading him to join the Atlantis mission in the first place. Whilst they're not 'omg BFF!!!' there's certainly a link between them, a good working relationship and a decent friendship.

I agree with you that he should interact with other characters, but that didn't happen in this episode. He had one scene with Weir where he basically reassigns her.

But he also showed great understanding and sympathy for her. It was clear he had a fairly good handle on who she is and how she is likely to react, and wanted to make things as easy on her as possible.

They could have allowed Jack to connect with a few of the other characters, and they missed the opportunity.

Would be nice to see but they haven't missed the opportunity yet - there's still a second half to come.

Since when has Jack ever been sent on a diplomatic mission and with the Ancients, no less? Diplomacy? Jack O'Neill???

He's done plenty of diplomacy. Not always willing mind you but he has done it. I should imagine they don't just send any old person offworld. Whilst no longer on active duty it's clear he's right up there in the chain of command and probably understands the situation better than anyone. It's no real surprise he'd be brought it with an experienced negotiator to do the talking.

prion
September 27th, 2006, 09:14 AM
And why, exactly do you feel it's appropriate to post spoilers for the next episode in this thread?

I've stopped reading the episode forums for this exact reason, and the one time I come back I'm immediatly spoiled again.

Because GW's features are flawed. I did it on a Quick Reply and apparently, when I clicked on what I thought was a spoiler block (always at far right), it was a quote. I've corrected the original post. Normally I don't do quick replies, but well, won't be doing those again. It wouldn't surprise me others have made this mistake as well.

prion
September 27th, 2006, 09:35 AM
He's done plenty of diplomacy. Not always willing mind you but he has done it. I should imagine they don't just send any old person offworld. Whilst no longer on active duty it's clear he's right up there in the chain of command and probably understands the situation better than anyone. It's no real surprise he'd be brought it with an experienced negotiator to do the talking.

I honestly don't see the word 'diplomacy' attached to Jack. He's put his foot in it plenty of times, which Daniel then has to correct, or better yet, Jack lets Daniel do the talking.

Jack is there because he has the authority to represent Earth (for better or worse). I thought it was obvious that Woolsey was the one who was the king of the suck-up-to-the-aliens school of thought ;) However, apparently even the Ancients tired of Woolsey probably nitpicking every angle possible and then requested Jack coming back to Atlantis (set up for the hostage situation later on with the replicators who attacked the city).

But it was nice to see Woolsey actually firing a gun to try to save their lives before the data burst cut off :)

Descent
September 27th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Yeah, Woolsey actually being a man after "The Scourge" was a nice change. :sheppard:

prion
September 27th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Yeah, Woolsey actually being a man after "The Scourge" was a nice change. :sheppard:

Wonder if he hit anyone? Oh wait, if replicators invade, it's sorta useless isn't? But it's the thought that counts! :)

grasshopper64
September 27th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Agree with you here, Jack isn't Colonel O'Neill anymore, he's a Major General and head of Homeworld Security at the Pentagon (or somewhere in Washington)(apparently...)
We know very little about what his job involves (but that's a whole different discussion....) but I'd say that he has to be pretty diplomatic these days because of the nature of his job.

Assuming he might deal with senior military personnel/senators/committees/the president himself, I'm sure he would be involved in negotations, perhaps to do with stargate programme budgets, I don't know, just speculating here, I think he has to watch what he says, and tone down the jokes/sarcasm. He is still the same Jack deep down but I think
they got it right for him in this ep.

prion
September 27th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Agree with you here, Jack isn't Colonel O'Neill anymore, he's a Major General and head of Homeworld Security at the Pentagon (or somewhere in Washington)(apparently...)
We know very little about what his job involves (but that's a whole different discussion....) but I'd say that he has to be pretty diplomatic these days because of the nature of his job.

Assuming he might deal with senior military personnel/senators/committees/the president himself, I'm sure he would be involved in negotations, perhaps to do with stargate programme budgets, I don't know, just speculating here, I think he has to watch what he says, and tone down the jokes/sarcasm. He is still the same Jack deep down but I think
they got it right for him in this ep.

Yup, the jokes/sarcasm just aren't appropriate at times. While I really like Jack, sometimes I wonder if he got replaced by a 'pod-jack,' due to lame jokes, like the maiden voyage one. ;)

Apophis87
September 27th, 2006, 09:15 PM
While I'm always happy to see Jack, I think they're using him wrong by putting him on Atlantis so much. The best thing about Jack was his interaction with the rest of SG1, especially Daniel. Without that banter, his potential as a character is wasted. It's like Sheppard without Mckay. Put Sheppard on SG1, and it just wouldn't work as well.

BTW, be careful with that Ancient woman. She's a destroyer of worlds. Lol.

lord-anubis
September 28th, 2006, 12:05 AM
i liked how shepp and makay were still hanging out even thou there were not in a team any more.

but the best part in the whole ep and i couldent have been the only one who got a kick out of it. i don't even play the game but i bused up laughing when lee was talking to weir about world of warcaft i had to stop that tape

Dr McKay
September 28th, 2006, 09:15 AM
i loved this episode, i thought the earth expedition left a little too easily though, they didnt have any proof that they were 100% ancients and not asurans. they were basically told then they went home, doesnt seem to follow character. i expected there to be a small conflift like "prove it..." other than that brilliant ending for a cliff hanger allthough its not good for us having to wait.

cant wait till part 2 :D :mckay:

prion
September 28th, 2006, 09:26 AM
i loved this episode, i thought the earth expedition left a little too easily though, they didnt have any proof that they were 100% ancients and not asurans. they were basically told then they went home, doesnt seem to follow character. i expected there to be a small conflift like "prove it..." other than that brilliant ending for a cliff hanger allthough its not good for us having to wait.

cant wait till part 2 :D :mckay:

Remember back in "Sanctuary," they have that scanner device that shows biometrics. I'm sure that something would have shown up if they were asurans/replicators, plus er, Helia (eh, destroyer of worlds;) ) activated that device so easily upon arrival...

Dr McKay
September 28th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Remember back in "Sanctuary," they have that scanner device that shows biometrics. I'm sure that something would have shown up if they were asurans/replicators, plus er, Helia (eh, destroyer of worlds;) ) activated that device so easily upon arrival...

i see what you mean now, dont you think Helia`s attitude changed dramatically, she was really nice, then when she activated the device in the gate area she seemed bitter.

WannaBeAWhumper
September 29th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I loved this episode! The only thing that niggles at me a little bit is...how did the ancients think they were going to hold the city by themselves? Never mind the replicators...the ancients got their arses kicked by the Wraith once already...and they were a heck of a lot more powerful then. How did they think they were going to beat them this time with a hundred or so people and one damaged ship? Seems kinda stoopid of them to kick out the humans...the only help they would have had the next time the Wraith came knocking.

WannaBe

Dr McKay
October 1st, 2006, 12:05 PM
I loved this episode! The only thing that niggles at me a little bit is...how did the ancients think they were going to hold the city by themselves? Never mind the replicators...the ancients got their arses kicked by the Wraith once already...and they were a heck of a lot more powerful then. How did they think they were going to beat them this time with a hundred or so people and one damaged ship? Seems kinda stoopid of them to kick out the humans...the only help they would have had the next time the Wraith came knocking.

WannaBe

actually now that you say it, what the hell where they thinking? they didnt have a chance from the beginning!

CalmStorm
October 1st, 2006, 12:38 PM
actually now that you say it, what the hell where they thinking? they didnt have a chance from the beginning!

From everything we have seen, it appears that most ancients suffer from several afflictions: 1) arrogance 2) overconfidence and 3) ignorance that is a result of the combination of 1 & 2.

PG15
October 1st, 2006, 02:13 PM

And we did?

We wouldn't have been able to stop another attack from the Asurans, that's for sure. At least the Ancients brought a ZPM with them.

Dr McKay
October 1st, 2006, 02:18 PM
oooooo i didnt know they had a zpm?? well we normally pluck something out of nothing, you know what rodney is like. with our experience together we might of had a chance.

PG15
October 1st, 2006, 02:21 PM
Too late for speculation now. The point is, with the Ancient's knowledge of the city besting ours by a fair amount, they would've had more chance of survival.

CalmStorm
October 1st, 2006, 03:02 PM
Too late for speculation now. The point is, with the Ancient's knowledge of the city besting ours by a fair amount, they would've had more chance of survival.

It is true that their knowledge of the city far beats anyone elses, however, I would think it would have been wise for them to have allowed Shep, Weir, McKay, Teyla, Beckett and Ronon stay. They could have helped bring the "ancients" up to speed on what was going on in "today's world" and what they have and have not accomplished.

The ancients tucked tail and ran back to Earth, and these guys have been on a ship with no hyperdrive for thousands of years. I would have hoped they would have been somewhat humbled and allowed the top team to stay and offer them a role in their going ons. Especially when you consider that they are the ones who seeded the Pegasus Galaxy with life, are responsible for the wraith, and have left their creations suffering for all these years while their people ran and hid.

PG15
October 1st, 2006, 03:50 PM
The doc, uh, I mean Woolsey would've filled them in with all that they needed to know. We knew from "No Man's Land" that the IOC knows pretty much everything that's happening at Atlantis.

As for the other points...well, typical Ancient behavior. But seriously, what role would they have served? As cannon fodder?

DreadPirateRoberts
October 2nd, 2006, 04:34 PM
I don't see why so many people assume the Acients were real this time. The whole thing looked like a convenient ruse to get the Humans out of the city without damaging anything. Get everyone off, fake a battle, the only witnesses (Jack and Woolsey) in captivity. Nothing looked very shot up in the control room when they showed the Asurans surprised by the gang coming through. I wish it was not true, but it all looks to me like yet another sucker play taken in by the home team.

memnarch
October 2nd, 2006, 07:56 PM
Wow, I've taken a few weeks to write this review...anyway, I was disappointed with this episode. I came in expecting to see the Replicators impersonating the Ancients and fooling the Atlanteans into giving them Atlantis back, but alas, instead they're real Ancients and real jerks (actress who played the lead Ancient bugged me, though I liked her as Kera on SG1). It was nice to see everyone doing something, even Teyla and Ronon. Carson, McKay, and Sheppard's concern for Elizabeth was touching. Ultimately though, it all seemed like just set up to me. Not all set up episodes have to be bad, as season 1's The Storm has shown me (awesome two parter) and this one just let me down. I actually found the previous week's episode Phantoms to add more to the story and to the characters than The Return Part 1. Also, I'm bugged by how much the Asurans seem to be in this season (especially given spoilers for later episodes). I think one of the last two episodes should at least have to do with the Wraith (bring back Michael for crying out loud! Or Ford!). I liked the Replicators on SG1, but it feels like they've had their day and to bring them back like this seems like a desperate rehash.

Okay, rant over. Overall: **

Linzi
October 3rd, 2006, 06:22 AM
I don't see why so many people assume the Acients were real this time. The whole thing looked like a convenient ruse to get the Humans out of the city without damaging anything. Get everyone off, fake a battle, the only witnesses (Jack and Woolsey) in captivity. Nothing looked very shot up in the control room when they showed the Asurans surprised by the gang coming through. I wish it was not true, but it all looks to me like yet another sucker play taken in by the home team.
Surely, if the 'Ancients' were Replicators, then Atlantis' sensors would have warned the team and the City would have gone into lockdown, or at least alerted them that there was an alien intruder? I can't believe that McKay didn't in some way scan them to ensure they were who they said they were. Also, why would the city respond to Helia the way it did if she were Asuran? Surely it wouldn't have?

DreadPirateRoberts
October 3rd, 2006, 04:25 PM
Surely, if the 'Ancients' were Replicators, then Atlantis' sensors would have warned the team and the City would have gone into lockdown, or at least alerted them that there was an alien intruder? I can't believe that McKay didn't in some way scan them to ensure they were who they said they were. Also, why would the city respond to Helia the way it did if she were Asuran? Surely it wouldn't have?
Well, first, the ship was well off. Atlantis did not detect it on their own. The team brought the crew with them through the gate. McKay should have run a scan, but he has made plenty of mistakes before. The only issue I have is the city responding to the Asurans, but they would have extensive knowledge of Acient tech, so it is not inconcievable to me that they could gain control of the city.

I am still waiting to see a scene in part 2 where someone shoots an 'Acient' with an ARG by mistake and says 'Oh Cr*p' when they actually fall apart.

obsessed1
October 3rd, 2006, 04:59 PM
I really enjoyed this episode and that suprised me as i'm often put off if i see that SG1 characters are going to make an occurence in Atlantis.

The scenes with everyone saying goodbye were sad, their readjustment to being home palpable and the plan to get back was all well done.

And the turtles bit was pure genius. You know it was just an excuse to get beckett in his scottish accent to say it....rolls off the tongue nicely :D

What bothered me was.....landry recieved the data burst of panicked and under attack o'neil etc and then later on when it cuts to the atlantis crew going into atlantis, the people/ancients/replicators are completely calm as if nothing happened......curious hmmmmm?

and yeah head ancient AKA samantha mulder was pretty annoying, (Probably had something to do with her stealing back atlantis when our cast had made it their home)

what a ramble :)

but overall a good set up :D

lostinspace
October 6th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I'll start by saying I liked it despite feeling slightly shortchanged throughout. Moments like the Atlantis farewells and the reunions on Earth and later Pegasus salvaged this for me. Shep had great individual team scenes, with Ronon's bear hug, Teyla's forehead touch, Elizabeth's awkward formality, and of course, McKay - who didn't need to say goodbye 'coz canon has now confirmed that these two are BFF. Daily phone calls! :mckayanime03: :sheppardanime31:

That said:

Memnarch and DreadPirateRoberts - I'm sure we're not the only ones to feel this way. Coming in knowing that the Asurans were going to feature in The Return probably led to greater expectations (or some confusion), and the fact that so much happened off-screen or too fast made the situation unbelievable and the audience less sympathetic to the "hostages" (Jack, Woolsey and the maybe-prodigal-Ancients). As far as mid season 2-parters go, this was better than The Hive but not The Storm/Eye.

What bothered me was.....landry recieved the data burst of panicked and under attack o'neil etc and then later on when it cuts to the atlantis crew going into atlantis, the people/ancients/replicators are completely calm as if nothing happened......curious hmmmmm?
I guess more time elapsed than we were shown between each of the prior scenes, all the maybe-Ancients were easily overwhelmed since they were clearly taken off-guard and/or that the Ancients were really Asurans to begin with! You know, we probably think about these things more than the writers/directors/actors do!

I think one of the last two episodes should at least have to do with the Wraith (bring back Michael for crying out loud! Or Ford!)
I'm with you on wanting more Wraith vs. human vs. Michael vs. Shep's brother-Wraith vs. Atlantis. If the writers can fit the Replicator!Asurans into this, great. If they can integrate the Ori on top of that, good gods! Not terribly big on Ford though, sorry. I thought the Super!Ford concept was good, but execution fell short.

Personally, I'd like to see better story arcs and overall plot continuity going forward. They've treated us with stronger character and team building, and the occasional tribute to past events but too much is still left unexplored, e.g. the feeding process, the effects of the enzyme, ATA (natural/artificial) and retrovirus, the entire Wraith social structure (look at what BSG is doing with the Cylons this year!), the city of Atlantis itself, dynamics with their "homes" - Earth/Athosians/Satedans. I'm sure we could all go on....

Verdict: So far, so good but could be better! I'm looking forward to *hopefully* 3 more weeks or so before a satisfactory resolution to The Return. This season thus far has redeemed SGA for me after a rather painful S2. :weiranime33:

Heaven
October 10th, 2006, 02:29 AM
hmm small technical plothole..
when Helia shows as a hologram there's no time dilation

Aussie Attacker
October 19th, 2006, 08:16 AM
hmm small technical plothole..
when Helia shows as a hologram there's no time dilation

They were Slowing Down, Also they Could be Acclerating waty they send! Mckay; there not just slowing down there slaming on the brakes, somthing like 27gs

Freek
October 19th, 2006, 08:26 AM
The whole "OMG we're going to meet ancients for the first time !!!" isn't overly present in this episode, wheras I think it should have been, along with a scene were the Ancients are taken up to speed with galactic events since they left.

CalmStorm
October 19th, 2006, 10:00 AM
The whole "OMG we're going to meet ancients for the first time !!!" isn't overly present in this episode, wheras I think it should have been, along with a scene were the Ancients are taken up to speed with galactic events since they left.

I thought their reactions were well-placed. They were eager, yet somewhat reserved.

Also, this is not their first encounter with ancients.

Spoilers from Sanctuary (just being on the safe side)
They had much interaction with Chaya

Spoilers from Aurora:
Even though the crew were in a virtual reality and actually near death, they were ancients and Shep had plenty of interaction with them.

Spoilers for Pegaus Project SG-1 episode crossover:
Weir saw the ancient posing as a hologram

Besides these encounters, they have learned a great deal about them from the city and certain other remenants they have come across on other planets. From what they have learned, the ancients are losing their shine and greatness that the SGC seemed to once have for them as a race. I can't say that I would be all that exuberant at meeting them. I would be very interested, and yes even excited, but not to the point I'd be jumping up with a grin on my face that couldn't be erased. Just look at the ancient's behavoir upon entering Atlantis....thanks for everything, but get the h*** out now. I think the team is right to be reserved and cautious at the prospect of meeting "real" ancients.

wraithfound
October 20th, 2006, 09:31 PM

WannaBe

I totally agree with this. It was a great episode but the ancients are working on my last nerve. they seem to be to high and mighty to help the people who have looked up to them as the ancestors for so long. They will not even help with any enemy either Wraith or Ori. The new Ancients in this episode also seem overly confident, like they can do anything and nobody can stop them.

Pitry
October 21st, 2006, 06:46 AM
Loved this episode. I always seem to do like the quieter episodes better - and this had tis fair share of just nice, quiet moments.
It is kind of nice to see how they've bonded together - Rodney's ranting that he misses people (and ha! The bit with Sheppard "not you, I'm talkign to you now and having dinner with tomorrow" ;)) - Ronan acting a bit too much like a kid but it was still nice - again, Weir and Carson, I loved them both in this episode.

think Weir acted diferently than he did on The Real World because there she was told none of this has happened. Once she was willign to accept it was all just a dream, she was willing to move back into her life. Return was different - she knows it was all real, she knows it was all taken away from her. No wonder the poor gal was depressed.

Sheppard wasn't nearly half as annoying in this episode as he usually is, hooray! I loved the bit with Landry once htey come back from the mission - "Tell me you did not engage the Orii." Pause. "We did not engage the Orii". bwa ha. I don't understand tho, why he had SGSC patches rather than a specific team's. I would have expected him to command SG2. (out of curiosity, I wonder if these events take place prior to or after The Quest. Since there's an unknown gap of time between Company of Thieves and The Quest, it could very well drop between these two episodes.)

The Ancients. Funny, I never knew you could spell "arrogant" with a c... *rolls eyes* No wonder this race got itself extincted - twice. How they ever reached their level of technology, heavens know (but, no wonder they're stupid, their commander is Linea.... they have to stop re-using actors for the simple reason I spent half the episode distracted trying to figure out who she was!) - it's funny, SG1 spent 7 years portraying the Ancients as the collest of races ever, and the last three years on both shows showing us just how much they're not! Speaking of an overrated race...

Jack! :D

So the bridge is finally complete, no mroe need for ZPMs. Good, they can keep contact with Earth and not be invincible. I wonder if they're going to use the bridge in order to bring Wraith to the Milky Way, tho. - yes, we already have our share of replicators, thankyouverymuch.

All in all, loved it. Hooray. ;)

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
October 28th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I got to admit this is the best episode i ever seen i've been comparing episodes from SG-1 Season 3 and this season i got to admit that both opening premires were actually on par with each other. The Return was Cool reminded a lot of SG-1's Season 1 finale "Within the Serpent's Grasp" where the team disobeyes orders to help defend their home i saw that in there.

funks
October 30th, 2006, 12:28 AM
oooooo i didnt know they had a zpm?? well we normally pluck something out of nothing, you know what rodney is like. with our experience together we might of had a chance.

They had something pretty powerfull powering that ship.. It was almost going at the speed of light.

Lightbane
November 6th, 2006, 08:10 PM
It wouls be a ZPM if the hyperdrive is beyond repair, the ZPM would have charged the sub-light engines with enough juice to push them that far

and its 0.99999 the speed of light is because its impossible to go faster then the speed of light because if you did, you wouldn't be able to see anything and it would also completly destroy physic principles

The_Tsid.
November 12th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Great episode.
Still don’t know why all these Ancients aren’t speaking Ancient. They never really seem as cool as the ancient they defrosted in the SG-1 episode “Frozen”.

I am not at all surprised that the Expedition got served an eviction notice. The History of Human interaction with Advanced Races has given us a pretty clear track record of how these encounters play out. We meet advance races, they view as primitive savages, but we usually end up saving their collective butts.

How many times did SG-1 have to save the Asgard before they trusted us enough to give us technology?
Although things didn’t work out so hot for the Tollan. Plus the Nox have proven to be less than useless…Wonder how they are dealing with the Ori? (A thought for another thread.)

Wonder if the Hermiod and the Ancients had a Chat on Daedalus en route to Atlantis. Maybe he collected late membership dues from their Great Alliance days.

obsessed1
November 12th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I thought this was a great episode with some really nice interactions between the team.

I loved Sheppard. The bit with Landry and him saying he could give him some inofmration, Landry saying they didnt need his help and then Shep's face. Oh, wanted to hug the man.

I especially liked seeing Mckay missing his friends, Carson upset when he was leaving and Elizabeth depression.

I thought their longing to be back on Atlantis was palpable.

Oh and the shep/ronon bear hug. Great!:)

IWKYZerocool
November 14th, 2006, 01:06 AM
I thought this epsiode was brilliant, I only have one question, how did the team get back to Earth, as we depleted the ZPM in the epsiode McKay and Mrs Miller

Alipeeps
November 14th, 2006, 06:34 AM
I thought this epsiode was brilliant, I only have one question, how did the team get back to Earth, as we depleted the ZPM in the epsiode McKay and Mrs Miller

The Ancients had a ZPM - they had been using it to power their sublight engines on their ship to reach the high speeds they were doing.

In the scene where Sheppard talks to Weir in her quarters he says something about all the equipment etc going aboard the Daedalus and that the expedition members and their personal affects will go through the gate "thanks the the Ancients' ZPM"

pattirose
December 12th, 2006, 10:26 AM
SPOILERS BELOW!!
-
-
-
-
-
-

I liked this episode but I have to admit I did a double take when they disbanded Atlantis! I got a real dejavu that I was watching the Stargate finale. The writers sure came up with a excellent, plausable, quick end to it all. Bing, bang boom - gone!

Beforehand I didn't think anything could be tied up so fast. Now I have high hopes that they will be able to give Stargate a great finale in the last couple episodes. I was beginning to wonder if the writers could do it, not anymore.
I can also see why so many posters here on Gateworld thought it was the end of the series when this aired on tv.
I also enjoyed RDA's performance in this, his best in the past couple years, they finally gave him something to do, instead of just standing there like the team mascot! Must have been an expensive episode to film, they had to pay the big salaries of RDA, Pileggi, Picardo, and Bridges on top of everything else.

mancslad08
December 20th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Not a bad episode, bit of a snooze-fest really but it was ok. Not one of the season's strongest episodes.

Things I didn't like:

- Dr Lee (the biggest waste of space in all of Stargate) doing the geek thing was embarassing and predictable. Plus it gave me another reason to dislike his annoying character.
- The turtle thing/wussy Carson was a bit rubbish too.
- As I said, bit dull, though the CG was pretty cool.
- Cliffhanger was argh!!!

I liked Rodney in this one very much though, much less whiney which is always good. Nice idea, though I think they could have figured out a better way to get the Asurans back. Character bits were nice.

6/10 - Hopefully part 2 is better.

jonno
December 20th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Wow. That has to be the most screen-time for an actual Stargate on either series in AGES! :p

Loved Carson in this. Poor turtles ...

Also - a zat! (that actually surprised me, i'm afraid to say - distracted me for a couple of seconds)

OK, so it felt like SG-1, especially the escape from the SGC, but then again, i can never much tell the differemce between how the two shows supposedly feel, so instead i'm going to say - that felt the most like a classic Stargate episode in ages. Lots of team moments are always good.

Anubis69
December 20th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised with Atlantis this year. In general the eps have been either really amazing (Sateda, The Return) or terrible. Truly terrible. (The one with Lucious.) TPTB seem have taken to heart the lack of personalities everyone but McKay had and made charaters more than human one-liners.

I loved how the pace of the episode too. Nice and slow. You could tell it was building to something although TBH i half expected the "Ancients" to be replicators in disguise. I suppose that's why i love being spoiler free... Being pleasantly surprised. And i was. An annoyingly good cliffhanger though.

I give this episode:
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/5431/rpygaierf1az9.jpg
4 out of a possible 5 resistors.

CalmStorm
December 20th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Things I didn't like:

- The turtle thing/wussy Carson was a bit rubbish too.

Aaahhh. I loved the wee little turtle bit ...was so Carson :)

TheTrinityTiger
December 21st, 2006, 02:42 AM
They brought back The Ancients and they appear in al of four scenes!!? I am the only one who thinks this was a waste of an oppertunity!? They had the chance to show The Ancients back in Atlantis using the city to its full potential and fighting The Asurans and all this episode did was sit around and talk!? I would have loved to see The Asurans attack Atlantis! The Ancients in combat! That would have been cool! Hopefully Part II will redeem the 2 parter.
Funny gag about the turtles though!:beckett:

Anubis69
December 21st, 2006, 05:47 AM
They brought back The Ancients and they appear in al of four scenes!!? I am the only one who thinks this was a waste of an oppertunity!? They had the chance to show The Ancients back in Atlantis using the city to its full potential and fighting The Asurans and all this episode did was sit around and talk!? I would have loved to see The Asurans attack Atlantis! The Ancients in combat! That would have been cool! Hopefully Part II will redeem the 2 parter.
Some thing are better left to the imagination. Wolf 359, Kosh being killed by the Shadows, Ancient tech as it was supposed to be used. Anything they showed would be a massive disappointment. I liked the way they did it.

Matt G
December 21st, 2006, 03:29 PM
Right!

1. Well I 'was' expecting the Ancients to be Asurans but the jury's still out!

2. Definately good to see how Atlantis has become home to the extent that Sheppard and crew going rogue SG1 style seemed slightly irrational but you were still rooting for them.

3. Only problem with their going rogue 'just' to save a now abandoned(from the SGC POV) city is that they'll surely wind up in deep cack for it. SG1 stayed out of trouble because it was Earth they were saving.

4. My old mate Jack - seen him flatter but who knows, we may never see him full force again.

Overall, pees all over Phantoms but I have a feeling ep 2 will be better though.

TheTrinityTiger
December 22nd, 2006, 09:30 AM
Some thing are better left to the imagination. Wolf 359, Kosh being killed by the Shadows, Ancient tech as it was supposed to be used. Anything they showed would be a massive disappointment. I liked the way they did it.

Fair point! On second viewing I found it a very good episode:jack: , very good for 'team building'.:vala: :sheppard: Seeing how troubled they all were having to leave the city that had become their home. Excellent. Very funny too. Bill Lee and Warcraft, Turtles:beckett: .

Hopefully Part II will have more action! :teyla:
But still its frustrating, all through Stargate's history the return of The Ancients has been hoped for :daniel: to solve all the problems and they finally do return and do- nothing!! I know that would end both shows, i just wanted a little Ancient Wraith butt kicking!! Then the can all be killed off which is inevitable!

Indiana
December 24th, 2006, 05:45 PM

We really were not supposed to see the ancients as the episode was about the Atantis team's point of view.

Ok

The Good:

-The ending! What a cracker! This reminded me a lot of the first season of SG-1 when they sneak through the gate to save earth.

-Weir in fancy clothes! Drools.

-The phones going off at the same time. overly done, cheesy, but good for a laugh. Made better by Carson not having his phone with him.

-Seeing the story getting knocked on it's feet a little. I like a bit of mix up. Seeing Shep in an SG Unit's uniform was unusual. Taking the Atlantis team out of Atlantis was a nice topsy turvy view of things.

The Bad:

-Probably RDA's acting. Granted it was limited so it wasn't too bad. I like the older Jack more than the new one.

-The way in which the Ancients were found.

-The downplaying of the ancients coming home

The ugly:

-Woolsey's haircut. Gheeze Robert it just looks mad. Take me back to the days of him being the cowboy in Innerspace! "I feel no pain!" :D

FallenAngelII
December 29th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Something just hit me. People have tried to explain how the Asurans defeated Atlantis' shield and the answer just came to me.

Remember in "Progeny" when the Asurans probed John's mind? In the scenario they painted up, the Wraith knew just where to hit us to, among other things, disable our shield.

PG15
December 29th, 2006, 03:25 PM
They didn't need to probe John's mind to know where to hit us; they have an exact replica of Atlantis for crying out loud!

~Benjamin~
December 30th, 2006, 03:57 AM
lol, i loved the return part one the captain and real live ancients! great episode cant wait til the next

Korean_Turtle87
January 29th, 2007, 11:29 PM
i've gotten confirmation that the restaurant they used to shoot the restaurant scene in the episode belongs to my friend's parents. And they had a signed pic of the cast. If my friend finds it, he's giving it to me ^^

PG15
January 30th, 2007, 01:30 PM
You lucky *******! :p

(That doesn't count as a flame, right?)

Korean_Turtle87
January 30th, 2007, 05:24 PM
he has to find it first. I wish they would use my parents restaurant to shoot a scene

nowvoyager908
April 10th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I have to say I loved this episode. Only negative is that once again, the Ancients are shown to be arrogant fools.

The team bonding scenes were worth that minor aggravation. Beckett going to check up on Weir, the restaurant scene, the decision to steal the jumper and save Atlantis against orders, and the reunion with Teyla and Ronon. I could go on and on, but overall it was a great episode . . . by far, my favorite of season 3.

And in light of what is to happen later in season 3 and on into season 4, a very poignant episode . . . and a reminder of what will be missing.

garhkal
April 12th, 2007, 02:25 PM
All too true... And i would have loved tro see a little more of the team rebonding back on earth..

prion
April 13th, 2007, 09:48 AM
They didn't need to probe John's mind to know where to hit us; they have an exact replica of Atlantis for crying out loud!

They wanted the destruct codes.

borgprincess
April 30th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I never understand how the Pegasus galaxy replicators are related to the ones in our galaxy, the ones made by Reese. They look and act nearly the same, all wanting to be human-like and better than us. And the parallels with Carter betraying Fifth, and Weir and co betraying Niam...*shivers* Also, the parallel with Futurama. I can't remember the title, but I had just watched one with a giant killer bumblebee that was on the ship and they had to shut it in the back compartment and then vent it into space. The most hilarious parallel to Niam- all I could see in that tragic moment where they betrayed him was this bumblebee spinning into space just like him...

My heart was breaking for Weir throughout the whole ep. At the beginning, McKay said it, ‘You should be in there’. How is it that the city’s only negotiator/diplomat/leader type is stuck on the outside, looking through the window at the negotiations? Woolsey is IOA, and he hasn’t her experience on Atlantis; as for O’Neill…we all love him, but he’s military. Wasn’t the whole point of Weir’s character to have the trained experts doing damage control for once, rather than letting the military blunder into everything? I’m being harsh, but it’s true, they have messed up a lot of first encounters. Gah.

And then O’Neill says to her that the Ancients will let one person stay behind as a liason and she has this look on her face that maybe she can salvage something of the situation before he dashes her hopes by saying ‘it’s not going to be you’. I mean, the way he brought it up, it sounded like it was a job offer- ‘I didn’t want to bring this up in front of McKay because I knew he’d want the job…’ as a ‘liason, kind of a…ambassador’. The way she held it together was amazing, ‘I suppose I can take comfort in the fact that out of all the ways this expedition could have ended, this is definitely not the worst.' But still, he had to know she'd be hoping he was offering her the position. or am I over-empathizing? XP

Oh, that is so cute- Ronan grabbing Sheppard in the hugest bear hug! I love all the personal interaction in this ep.

Poor Weir- she’s so depressed and I like it. Not that she’s afflicted by it, but that they show a character who isn’t all chipper and peachy and all. I would be depressed in that situation and she’s allowed to show it by being in tracksuits at home, with a pizza box on the chair and unwashed dishes- woman after my own heart.

I think it’s odd she’s *writing* her memoirs. After most of her scenes being with her laptop on Atlantis? Not even one was visible in her apartment. I didn’t see any in her quarters earlier, either.

That dinner scene? Teasing Carson about Cadman and Weir saying ‘You guys did make a cute couple’…she sounded like Phoebus just then, I think of it as her Phoebus tone, slightly devilish and teasing, but without the sinister ‘I’m going to release Halon gas and wipe out the city’s population’ edge. I enjoy seeing them interact like normal people, going out to dinner, talking about social lives…this is what Sunday should have been, with the focus on *our team* and not tragic stuff happening.

Weir: It’s been…lovely…seeing all of you again. Thank you for getting me out.
Sheppard: We should thank you. You’re taking us to dinner, right?
Weir: Cheeky!

*sighs* I am just enjoying how much Weir there is!

WORLD OF WARCRAFT! *dies laughing* Weir enduring Lee’s passion for the topic with that forced smile of enthusiasm is gold. Pure gold.

Lee:‘What’s your race?’
Weir: ‘…mage…’ She is an awful staller! I would’ve encouraged him to tell me more about how he attained that level and what kind of mage he was and so on.

Hmph, it seemed awfully easy for McKay to slip his name into the system. Way too easy. This is how aliens are able to take over the base without trouble. You think they’d’ve learnt since the last few incursions.

Oh, no, they weren’t obvious at all with their exit. *despairs* Awful, awful liars. And Weir was way too openly eager to leave. Imagine the next time they might need her to distract him- he’ll be miffed she abandoned him so readily.

Ouch, was it really necessary to zat the poor unwanted team member? First he gets kicked off Sheppard’s team and now he’s knocked out! Seriously, they should be in major dren for this kind of behavior. Breaking the rules to save the day is nothing new, it’s classic SG-1 and I am so pleased to see it repeated with Sheppard, Weir and the others, but to willfully and voluntarily shoot a fellow officer? Uncalled for.

Where was the jumper bay from the gate? Sheppard lowered it from the ceiling, like on Atlantis, but…I thought they had a proper roof…so how could they have come down like that?

Gee, Landry’s tough. It was pretty clear he was threatening to ruin Sheppard’s career. I can't picture Hammond doing that.

Anyway, this was a great ep- *squee* for the team bonding, and interesting plot too.

camulus13
May 18th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I liked the episode quite a bit, but I didn't believe the "Ancients" were really Ancients. I think its a trick by the Replicators.

well its good that we found out they werent posing because the replicatiors murdered them.

Trek_Girl42
September 23rd, 2007, 12:53 AM
Great ep- the season half over and only one episode that I didn't thoroughly enjoy!

Loved that we got to see them all settling in back on Earth- I had no idea what to expect from this ep, didn't even know that Earth would be in it. The midway station/galactic bridge is a cool idea, I hope we lots more in the future. The whole episode I kept expecting it to be revealed that the Ancients weren't really Ancients and that they were replicators. My first thought when they came to Atlantis was "how stupid are you guys after waht happened last time?" Granted, they still should have been more wary even though that particular outcome wasn't disasterous, but eh. Small nitpick.

Annnnd off to the part two thread before I spoil all that in here. ;)

garhkal
September 29th, 2007, 09:16 PM
One thing said on a battletech board in relation to the Mccay carter bridge gate system, is would the wraith, if they somehow got better sensors (longer range) be able to detect it, and follow it back to our galaxy..??

PG15
September 30th, 2007, 12:19 PM
The Gates are separated by 100,000 light years. So, unless the Wraith have sensors that can scan the whole of Pegasus at once, no, they won't be able to detect any gate in the gatebridge.

Jill_Ion
September 30th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Loved, loved, loved this ep! Watching it on DVD, I didn't have the interminable wait (6 friggin' months for ya? Yikes!) to see Part II.

I also originally thought the Ancients were Asurans. Loved the interactions between characters. Not sure where one ep stopped and the next started, so I'll stop here!

MechaThor
October 30th, 2007, 02:48 AM
I like this episode. Infact the whole two parter i like.
All the caharacter stuff is great. LIKE WHEN mCKAY, Zelenka and Beckett are talking about the "what will we do next". I also liked the Mckay and Sheppard phone call and Mckay moaning that his lab is too big. LOL with a giant CGI spinning thing behide him.
I also loved Dr Lee and his excitment abot finding a female WOW nerd.
The concept of the fast travelling ancient ship was also cool.

What i don't like was the how much of a jerk the ancients seemed. Yes we may be in your city but so what they left to go too Earth. They did not even ask if it would be ok to take it back. As normally theres are rules taht if no1 collects it (atlantis) within a short time (thousands of years) then its yours like if you find a watch and no 1 collects it. But at least they are all dead anyways so it don't matter.

Would the Gate Bridge technically be the longest piece of technology in the known galaxy?

garhkal
October 30th, 2007, 03:42 PM
IIRC behind rodney was a generator of some sorts...

October 30th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I like this episode. Infact the whole two parter i like.
All the caharacter stuff is great. LIKE WHEN mCKAY, Zelenka and Beckett are talking about the "what will we do next". I also liked the Mckay and Sheppard phone call and Mckay moaning that his lab is too big. LOL with a giant CGI spinning thing behide him.
I also loved Dr Lee and his excitment abot finding a female WOW nerd.
The concept of the fast travelling ancient ship was also cool.

What i don't like was the how much of a jerk the ancients seemed. Yes we may be in your city but so what they left to go too Earth. They did not even ask if it would be ok to take it back. As normally theres are rules taht if no1 collects it (atlantis) within a short time (thousands of years) then its yours like if you find a watch and no 1 collects it. But at least they are all dead anyways so it don't matter.

Would the Gate Bridge technically be the longest piece of technology in the known galaxy?

Agree on all points. It seems that all the SG "superpowers" have been brought down by their own "arrogance" and feeling of technological superiority.

1. Ancients
2. Tollan
3. Goa'uld
4. Asgard (not so much jerks, though)
5. Ori (you know it's comin')

As far as the Gate Bridge goes, it's gotta be the longest although, technically it's not in ANY galaxy. :cameron:

garhkal
October 31st, 2007, 04:06 PM
Which makes me wonder how long it will be before WE get brought down from our own technological arrogance and reliance on tech.

John W
November 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
Having just watched this episode on DVD, I've gotta say it was definitely one of the season's highlights. It certainly seems to be continuing the trend started with "Progeny" of the Asuran episodes being very exciting, action-packed and full of awesome CGI.

It was great to see Jack again (I noticed the little bit of the SG-1 end title theme as Jack appeared next to Landry. Nice touch!). He's just as witty as ever, showing that his higher position hasn't changed him. Although, as shown in that first scene, he does still wish he was out there taking part in cool stuff rather than standing on the side-lines.

Speaking of cool stuff, I like the idea of the "Carter-McKay" Gate-Bridge and Midway Station. It really shows how far Earth has come technologically that they've now not only got starships but are constructing a space station in deep space too. I've heard rumours that this is only the first appearance of Midway and so I look forward to future appearances and it being fully constructed.

It was also cool seeing the Puddle-Jumper in the SGC gateroom. Although I was a little puzzled as to where Sheppard parks it. I know there's a large hatch in the ceiling of the gateroom, but I thought it was directly above the gate. Perhaps there's another one?

As for the Ancients, my money's on them being Asurans in disguise again. I'll have to wait until I see Part 2 to see if I'm right. Still, I can't help but wonder why no-one, especially Sheppard, had any suspicions about them being Asurans, especially after what happened in "Progeny" and also considering the coincidental arrival of the Asurans later in the episode.

Another likeable thing about the episode was Carson Beckett. He got some great scenes in this episode. I particularly liked the scene where the whole of the rest of the team's mobiles are going off in the restaurant as they're being paged, but he's forgotten his so he asks what's going on. LOL! As for the "Wee turtles" bit later in the episode, Weir's reaction's priceless as he suddenly blurts it out. BTW, isn't this an homage to Groundskeeper Willie from "The Simpsons"? I seem to recall him too talking about "Ma wee turtles".

It was interesting to see what certain members of the team were doing once they'd left Atlantis. Sheppard's commanding an SG team (looking different in the standard green gear). Rodney's working at Area 51, in what's a typical McKay scene he's complaining about having an office too small when he's standing in a vast gigantic room with what could be a reactor behind him.

As for Teyla and Ronan, I was very surprised by their scene near the end where they're talking to Laydon of the Genii. I wasn't expecting to see him in this episode. Let's hope it's a little taster of something to happen later in the series as the Genii become bigger allies.

Anyway, overall a really excellent episode. O'Neill and Woolsey made a great double-act too. It's worth remarking about the fact that when they're seen in their distress call under attack by Replicators, it's Woolsey who's running about in the background firing a gun, rather than O'Neill.

Yay4CarsonBeckett
November 6th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I loved this episode! Only two little nitpicks.

To quote Shep, the Ancients didn't seem to 'ancienty'. Surely they would have been to smart and cautious to assume that the replicators woudn't find a way to change their base code.

Also I found O'Neill TOO smart arsey. Too jokey...

ashman2
November 6th, 2007, 05:44 AM
I loved this episode! Only two little nitpicks.

To quote Shep, the Ancients didn't seem to 'ancienty'. Surely they would have been to smart and cautious to assume that the replicators woudn't find a way to change their base code.

Also I found O'Neill TOO smart arsey. Too jokey...

I agree that the ancients were a little weird, but I honestly thought that O'Neill was on top form. Are you sure that it wasn't that he had been absent for so long?

First
November 21st, 2007, 04:54 PM
What shocked me the most was:
1. The space gate worked without a hitch.
2. The Ancients were real.
It took a while to believe that it was real.
I kept thinking, no, they can't be real Ancients, maybe it's the Asurans with a clever plan.
On second thoughts, they're arrogant, confident of their superiority, ignorant of very real danger, unwilling to listen to or share with lesser races.....yes, maybe they really are Ancients.
Despite the fact the Ancients are unlikeable, it's probably accurate. If a group of neandethals moved in to your home while you were away, you'd probably react like the ancients did, and want them to leave, without owing them anything. Did I mention the ancients' superiority complex.....

If things went well for the ancients, I was expecting Ronon and maybe Telya to join the Genii. What else were they going to do? Be farmers and live a quiet life? There are still too many Wraiths and not enough food for them. The full force of the ancients couldn't defeat the Wraith, let alone a handful of them with one city ship and one warship. So, a peaceful life is still only a dream. The reason why the ancients left in the first place is still valid.

Fenrir Foxz
November 21st, 2007, 10:20 PM
What shocked me the most was:
1. The space gate worked without a hitch.
2. The Ancients were real.
It took a while to believe that it was real.
I kept thinking, no, they can't be real Ancients, maybe it's the Asurans with a clever plan.
On second thoughts, they're arrogant, confident of their superiority, ignorant of very real danger, unwilling to listen to or share with lesser races.....yes, maybe they really are Ancients.
Despite the fact the Ancients are unlikeable, it's probably accurate. If a group of neandethals moved in to your home while you were away, you'd probably react like the ancients did, and want them to leave, without owing them anything. Did I mention the ancients' superiority complex.....

If things went well for the ancients, I was expecting Ronon and maybe Telya to join the Genii. What else were they going to do? Be farmers and live a quiet life? There are still too many Wraiths and not enough food for them. The full force of the ancients couldn't defeat the Wraith, let alone a handful of them with one city ship and one warship. So, a peaceful life is still only a dream. The reason why the ancients left in the first place is still valid.

When I first saw this episode I was wondering afterwards how everything was going to go back to the expedition being in control of Atlantis... A truly gripping two-parter that was obviously well thought up:) 9.5/10

Integrabyte
November 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM
When I first saw this episode I was wondering afterwards how everything was going to go back to the expedition being in control of Atlantis... A truly gripping two-parter that was obviously well thought up:) 9.5/10

In my opinion two of the best episodes in SGA. Priceless performance by all our cast :)

jelgate
November 30th, 2007, 07:04 PM
In my opinion two of the best episodes in SGA. Priceless performance by all our cast :)
My only problem with this episode is the very end when the Asurans say they can't raise the Atlantis sheild. There would have been more suspense if the Atlantis expedation went through the wormhole without that scene

Integrabyte
December 1st, 2007, 02:41 AM
My only problem with this episode is the very end when the Asurans say they can't raise the Atlantis sheild. There would have been more suspense if the Atlantis expedation went through the wormhole without that scene

...then your problem is with the earth gate as well. McKay hacks both and he states he wrote a back door in case something similar to what Kolya did will happen again. I myself had not problem with that ....

GATEGOD
December 18th, 2007, 05:00 PM
"I didn't bring my bloody cell phone with me! What's happening?"

hahaha

lol Carson's hilarious

"What's the best way to get a nuc past the shield?"

"Well I have no idea" LOL!!!

"I didn't call you in Doctor.."

John W
December 19th, 2007, 10:18 AM
LOL! Yeah, that was an excellent way to parody that old cliche of everyone's mobiles ringing at once, calling them into action.

Automission
August 9th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I hated this episode, for the fact it showed the Ancients as being far too stupid, real, and then dying out right away. I would of much preferred if it were not them as its a slap to the face, after all the talk of Ancients being the almighty race.

Orion25
September 11th, 2008, 01:43 AM
I watched this episode with bated breath because the team were in the middle of a test run through the gate bridge. I had been hoping there would be a stand-alone episode where we it was shown Daedalus had a Stargate in tow or even a number of Stargates harvested by the puddle jumper crew but may be that would turn into a boring episode. Maybe there have been difficulties or accidents while constructing the bridge we won't know and it was very much left to our imagination or it could have been relegated to as off- camera stories. We focused our attention then to the dialogues for the hints that Atlantis crew had been collecting Stargates for this monumental project.

I was just as excited as Rodney (lolz) when he finally interpreted the sensor results leading to the discovery of the Aurora-class ship with a shipload of Ancients. They're real! I was beginning to think there were no Ancients left in Pegasus that would help our expedition team. I was expecting a barely controlled excitement between the two people except the Ancients weren't an enthusiastic group. I kept saying to myself, okay, there's still room for some expansion here but alas, the Ancients didn't last long as I had hoped. What happened to their ship, Tria? Did the Asurans cannibalized it too when they re-built the destroyed Stargate center? Were Helia and her crew the last Ancients the Atlantis team to meet? Is there a possibility of some group of Ancients still out there lurking in Pegasus?

Sheppard, Ronon and Teyla. I loved this scene. The trio were trying to say their good byes but it fell awkward for them. Hahaha. I think Ronon looks up to Sheppard like an older brother (off-duty etc) and Teyla as an older sister. Well, it appeared to me on screen and the hug made me smile.

I didn't expect McKay would call up Sheppard at all. I thought he would be elbow deep with projects and wouldn't spare anyone a second's notice. The telephone conversation scene between the two presented that they'll keep in touch even after they've gone to their separate ways.

I was chuckling when Beckett remarked to Weir about writing her memoirs. "What planet are you going to publish that?" It was something to that vein. Can't quite recall the exact words but it had me in stitches. It was nice he visited Weir get her out to meet up with the rest of her former team mates.

O'Neill and Woolsey. Funny Pair. There was a role reversal in a way, when O'Neill was issuing an order to SGC, we could see in the background Woolsey firing at the invading Asurans from the background. I couldn't keep myself from grinning when they were hiding in the destroyed section of the city. Woolsey asked of Sheppard's plan and O'Neill remarked that he had been by his side all the time, so why does the other man, think he has new information. Lolz.

LordAnubis82
September 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM
The Return is the best midseason 2 parter ever. i liked the music at the end of pt. 1 just as they go through the gate to rescue O'Neill and Woolsey. very dramatic.

millertj27
November 18th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Was anybody else embarrassed at how out-of-character the scene was with Wier "flirting" with Dr. Lee so she could distract him while McKay stole some code off his computer? How could Torri Higginson stoop to such blatant whoring? She really seemed uncomfortable in the scene. It was so ludicrous and cliched...a definite low point for this series.

Dumper
November 19th, 2008, 02:24 PM
That was the whole point, Weir was supposed to be uncomfortable as it's not something she is used to doing. And i think the term 'whoring' is an overreaction to a jokey harmless scene.

Butlersgate
March 7th, 2009, 05:39 AM
That was the whole point, Weir was supposed to be uncomfortable as it's not something she is used to doing. And i think the term 'whoring' is an overreaction to a jokey harmless scene.

agreed.

Jumper_One
March 29th, 2009, 08:24 PM
TBA writes: “[...] - In SGA’s ‘The Return’, dr. Lee mentions he has a lvl 75 mage on World of Warcraft, which wasn’t possible at the time. Was this intentional, or have none of you ever played WoW? [...]”

Answers: [...] 3. That’s a question for Marty G. who wrote the episode.[...]
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2009/03/29/march-29-2009-my-foray-into-harlequin-romance-international-sf-a-gentle-reading-reminder-the-next-one-is-going-to-hurt-my-final-four-pick-a-fursome-surprise-visitor-and-the-mailbag-whew/

JediKnutt
April 21st, 2009, 04:23 PM
They had just dealt with the Asurans and yet they didn't even suspect this might be a trick. Which it wasn't I guess. Anyway...continuity issues really bug me. When O'Neill is wearing his dress uniform he has two stars. But in his garrison BDU's, he only has one star. Really bugs me. Then I watched the Gen. O'Neill visits Atlantis segment and RDA is wearing TWO STARS. So they got it right for the behind the scenes interview, but not for the episode. Brilliant.

_Ancients_
April 21st, 2009, 09:51 PM
They had just dealt with the Asurans and yet they didn't even suspect this might be a trick. Which it wasn't I guess. Anyway...continuity issues really bug me. When O'Neill is wearing his dress uniform he has two stars. But in his garrison BDU's, he only has one star. Really bugs me. Then I watched the Gen. O'Neill visits Atlantis segment and RDA is wearing TWO STARS. So they got it right for the behind the scenes interview, but not for the episode. Brilliant.

I just rewatched this episode today and I noticed the same thing about O'neills uniform. I was just going to come on here and point that out. Bugged the crap out of me that he was a 2 star in his dress uni and then a 1 star when he was doing the video call from Atlantis later on. What, did the Ancients demote him? ;)

major davis
May 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Martin Gero rocks. Epic first part to my fav mid season two parter.

10/10

Dinoman
May 31st, 2009, 09:02 PM
A very entertaining episode. I like the chemistry of O'Neill and Woolsey! The Ancients were not as powerful as I expected and at one point I thought they were the replicators pretending to be Ancients coming to disarm the Atlantic station.

I just rewatched this episode today and I noticed the same thing about O'neills uniform. I was just going to come on here and point that out. Bugged the crap out of me that he was a 2 star in his dress uni and then a 1 star when he was doing the video call from Atlantis later on. What, did the Ancients demote him? ;)

I noticed that too. In fact I saw the same thing in the SG1 episode 'The Shroud'. I started to think they might do it on purpose as the inconsistency is very obvious.

escyos
June 5th, 2009, 01:18 AM
cool episode...do you think the ancients would have ever done anything about the replicators, wraith and the humans anytime soon?

Sp!der
December 24th, 2009, 03:11 AM
what bothers me with this episode although i love it that much, why they did not thought of it before that they could be replicators... it was more than likekly that they were not real ancient, so kinda weird that they were that naiv. but other than that love it.

Skylinehead
March 2nd, 2010, 03:01 PM
Where did that Jumper Bay in the SGC Gate room come from?

FreedomFilm
March 7th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Any one else wonder what happened to the Aurora class ship that they were flying in?

They helped the the lanteans get back to Atlantis and then the replicators got there a couple days later... soo what happened to it?

Is it still just floating in space somewhere?

I thought it was the one the travelers got in the beginning of the fourth season but that had its hyper drive still intact and the log says they abandon ship because of radiation.

They don't mention anything of it past the first 10 minutes of the episode.

ktebid
March 10th, 2010, 11:46 PM
A very nice middle episode. Fascinating to see "real" ancients, and how they related to humans. Their over confidence that has been hinted at before was very obvious. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

asdf1239
March 30th, 2010, 03:04 PM
the lanteans completely deserved it

Pharaoh Atem
March 30th, 2010, 09:21 PM
the lanteans completely deserved it

no one deserves to die

asdf1239
March 30th, 2010, 11:58 PM
the asurans didnt deserve to be massacred (clarification:after their creation by the ancients) either

jelgate
March 31st, 2010, 06:21 AM
the asurans didnt deserve to be massacred either

They were the invaders. It seems like they deserve to die a lot more then the Ancients

asdf1239
March 31st, 2010, 06:49 AM
yes, but the lanteans committed genocide because of their own ineptitude and the asurans never got payback. it would seem to me that the lanteans richly had it coming...even when the asurans arrived they continued to act arrogantly. instead of going "we're sorry we screwed up so badly by failing against the wraith, creating a weapon that changed into sentient beings, and engaging in mass murder when it didn't work out correctly. we're sincerely ashamed at ourselves at being unable to deal with the long-term consequences of such a debacle.", the ancients went "to hell with you, you can't hurt us because not only did we destroy your society and violate your rights as sentients, we expect you to act like the docine machines you are. go back to the hole you crawled from and don't bother us again." and really, the lanteans didnt have any right to take over atlantis and kick the tau'ri out without a second thought either.

Ragitsu
July 28th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I never liked the representation of the Ancients in this episode.

mrscopterdoc
September 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM
So, the ancients didn't last long against the replicators. and good question, what happened to their ship?

generaloneill
November 13th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Anyone think it odd that sheppard's team's field gear didn't have an SG team badge on their gear stating what team they were maybe it was because they were a newly formed team or something being the reason why they didn't have badges on their field gear.

Jumper_One
January 18th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Furling also writes: “What happened with Tria (Aurora-class battleship from ‘The Return’)? Is it left between galaxies?”

Answer: Yes, still there.
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/january-17-2011-the-iron-hunt-by-marjorie-m-liu/

maneth
January 18th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Awesome episode, and I love the idea of the gatebridge between galaxies. Just completely wonderful.

HolyAngelQueenSG-1
January 22nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
I love SG-1 four vistor to SGA. Jack O'neill helping tell SGA. :D WHOO!

Tiptronic
February 20th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I had to pauze the video so I could LOL! :
-My turtles.
-What?
- I just bought some wee baby turtles......and no one knows to feed them.
-Well, turtles are pretty hardy. I’m sure they’Il be fine.. And they make good soup.
-I figured I’m back for good, so I might as well get a pet. I’m allergic to cats.
-I’ve probably killed them. Poor little buggers. http://forum.rsca.be/images/smilies/smile.gifhttp://forum.rsca.be/images/smilies/smile.gifhttp://forum.rsca.be/images/smilies/smile.gif

I had a couple of little turtles myself so I know how what he feels :D

mathpiglet
June 1st, 2011, 01:36 PM
A very nice middle episode. Fascinating to see "real" ancients, and how they related to humans. Their over confidence that has been hinted at before was very obvious. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I'm glad the Ancients had some faults. With all the wonderful things they left behind and their superiority in so many things, a fatal flaw is necessary to make them believable. Their over-confidence was perfect.

I also loved the bit with the turtles!

garhkal
June 1st, 2011, 07:35 PM
I also liked the fact that even after 3 yrs there, we still didn't know as much as we thought.

mathpiglet
June 2nd, 2011, 03:33 PM
Very true. I do wish they had explored the city more.

mrscopterdoc
June 7th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I had to pauze the video so I could LOL! :
-My turtles.
-What?
- I just bought some wee baby turtles......and no one knows to feed them.
-Well, turtles are pretty hardy. I’m sure they’Il be fine.. And they make good soup.
-I figured I’m back for good, so I might as well get a pet. I’m allergic to cats.
-I’ve probably killed them. Poor little buggers. http://forum.rsca.be/images/smilies/smile.gifhttp://forum.rsca.be/images/smilies/smile.gifhttp://forum.rsca.be/images/smilies/smile.gif

I had a couple of little turtles myself so I know how what he feels :D

:lol: love the turtles!

VengefulSpud
August 29th, 2011, 09:27 AM
This probably is mentioned somewhere deep in the forum, but anyone else wish Shepard and/or McKay had joined SG-1 for an op or two while back on earth during SG-1's final season. Just to see them in a brush against the Ori would have been cool.

garhkal
September 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I was wondering if any of the others brought back would rather have 'switched' over to SG1/SGC teams than stay around and hope to go back to atlantis.

Lunaeclipse
January 10th, 2012, 05:06 PM
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=301&pid=94913#top_display_media

Siler?...

SamanthaJenniferChloe
April 27th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Hello! :cool:

I do believe that is Siler getting stunned by John. Siler gets stunned a lot.

I thought that the Ancients were very self important. If they had let the Atlantis crew stay then they might have not been killed off.

What happened to the Ancients ship? Was it destroyed too?

I really loved the scene where John told Teyla and Ronon goodbye in his room. I thought that the hug that Ronon gave John was nice.

I felt so badly for everyone when they were back.

John was with a team of grunts. McKay was at Area 51 but he was not happy about it. Weir was at home trying to figure out what to do.

Teyla and Ronon were just about to join the Genii. I can see why they would be it would be hard if they had had to join them.

I was glad that of course John and the others went ahead to get Teyla and Ronon to fight to get back Atlantis.

Lythisrose
August 13th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joe Mallozzi's Blog (http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2012/08/11/august-10-2012-bao-bei-days-of-stargate-atlantis-past-the-return-i/)post:
THE RETURN (310)

The Ancients are back! Hurray! And they’re taking back Atlantis! Uh…okay. And kicking us back to Earth! Boo! It’s no secret. I’ve never been a fan of the Ancient storylines, mainly because I find them a tad esoteric. But here we have a bunch of real, live, grounded, unascended Ancients – and they’re still not very likable. In fact, they’re utter douchebags, thanking us for taking care of the place before patting us on the head and sending us on our way. ”Off you go. Don’t let the puddle demolecularize your ass on the way out.” It’s not wonder they got their asses kicked by the wraith.

This is the first episode we really see the gate bridge in action. It seemed like such an obvious idea, I was surprised no one had thought of it before. Of course, coming up with the idea is one thing, finding all those stargates and putting them in position is another thing entirely. Still, the convenience of speedy intergalactic travel between Atlantis and Earth is certainly worth the effort. For about a year until the midway station gets blown up, after which it’s really not that worthwhile in retrospect.

Ah, once again we are treated to the comedy stylings of Anderson and Picardo. It’s real treat to watch these two veteran thespians play off each other. They’re two naturally funny guys so it’s not at all surprising that their scenes worked so well – or that they had a blast shooting them.

So, honestly, what are your thoughts on the Ancients? Impressive intergalactic elder statesmen? Or entitled jerks?

Lieutenant Sparrow
August 14th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Top notch ep.

Ahh the intergalactic gate bridge. I have a very fond memory of a certain ep it features in during S5. Gotta love how McKay puts his name in front of Carters haha.

Jack! Great to see him. He does a great job in these two eps. Almost feels like Jack of old.

Yay Ancients (not). Would have been nicer to never have met them. That way I wouldn't have to know how obnoxious and up themselves they are.

So what exactly was that thing that popped out of the floor? Some kind of city master control? Could it pop up anywhere they wanted?

Distracting Dr. Lee with talk about WOW. Classic.

Poor Siler. He always seems to be getting electrocuted, zapped, thrown over railing's etc etc. Even in a different show he isn't safe haha.

Beckett and his turtles haha. It was so out of the blue.

Imagine if Ronon and Teyla had of joined the Genii. That would be different.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 14th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I'll going to describe this mid-season finale in 4 Words: Worst Mid-Season Finale Ever. The episode was awesome but the ending sucked, SG-1's Mid-Season finale cliffhanger.
Thankfully I can see the conclusion becuase I'm going to pirate it because it airs in Canada in about a month before it airs in the States
Good to see Jack and Bill Lee again.
I loved how I wrote the first paragraph back in 2006. But even today, that cliffhanger doesn't still doesn't sit right with me.

I laughed when Shep mentioned turtles make great soup.

Tomorrow, the much superior conclusion to this lackluster cliffhanger.

Krisz
August 15th, 2012, 07:13 PM
A slow build up to the second part really. The Lanteans were so assured of their superiority, so dismissive, not even considering that they had possible new allies, it is the 'Fifth Race' looking after Atlantis after all! :D

Loved the counter-argument made by Woolsey when the Ancients remind them they woke the Wraith,saying they were the ones responsible for creating them in the first place! O'Neill's withering look when Woolsey rested his hand on O'Neill's arm to break into O'Neill's response to the Ancient was hilarious. Those two really worked well together.

Another one of those big "oops" moments is revealed when it's McKay's fault the Asurans killed the Ancients, by destroying the instruction in the Replicator base code not to harm their creators. So everything came back to bite the Ancients in the proverbial backside here, first the Wraith and then the Asurans, just when they thought it was safe to be back being pompous know it alls!! :P

jelgate
August 18th, 2012, 10:18 PM
"General I am quite fond of both maidens and voyages"

I started with that quote to illustrate an important point with this episode. The RDA phoning in that we got in the later seasons of SG1 (S6-S8) does not seem to exist in these two episodes. More so in Part 2 but that is mostly because we got more RDA in part 2. I liked seeing the old Jack with those quick jab one liners that was lost from classic SG1. While I think The Return (both parts) is a fantastic episode this suffers from the common problem seen in two parters. To build up the suspense and a story over two episodes Part 1 is all build up. The whole first 30 minutes is about how the Asurans capture the city which can make it slow at this time. But on the other hand the vehicle used to create the setting of the Asurans attacking was interesting. I liked seeing Sheppherd and the others have to save good bye to their friends and the job they have grown to love. It was a sad moment to say good bye their Pegasus Galaxy friends and Atlantis. It also got some nice character interactions to see how the main characters from Earth were adjusting to the change. On the negative point I have to ask what was the point of including the Ancients ship if they were just going to be murdered by the Asurans off screen. It seems like a lot of wasted time when they could have just had the Asurans invaded and Sheppherd and the team evade capture. Finally I will say I do not agree with JM that the Intergalactic Bridge made things easier. It made no difference for the most part since Atlantis and Earth have those ZPMs.

Matt G
August 20th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Xmas '06: I'd just done a very brief stint as a website editor for Exeter University. In the meantime...another ep of Atlantis...

1. Even second time round I felt said for our guys leaving Atlantis....the Ancients were really out of order.

2. Is it me or did the Tria commander look similar to Amanda Tapping?

3. "Please tel me you did not engage the Ori..." :sheppard: "We did not engage the Ori!" :)

4. Forgot about Teyla and Ronon possibly being hired by the Genii. Not such a bad deal.

Solid but last I checked part 2 is much better!

hedwig
August 20th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Xmas '06: I'd just done a very brief stint as a website editor for Exeter University. In the meantime...another ep of Atlantis...

1. Even second time round I felt said for our guys leaving Atlantis....the Ancients were really out of order.

2. Is it me or did the Tria commander look similar to Amanda Tapping?

3. "Please tel me you did not engage the Ori..." :sheppard: "We did not engage the Ori!" :)

4. Forgot about Teyla and Ronon possibly being hired by the Genii. Not such a bad deal.

Solid but last I checked part 2 is much better!

There's a slight similarity between the Tria's commander and Amanda Tapping. However, the actress who played this part is the same actress who played Linnea/Kera in SG1's "Past & Present" (Megan Leitch). :)

Matt G
August 21st, 2012, 05:55 AM
Woah...didn't call that one...

garhkal
August 26th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I knew i recognized her from somewhere... but not where.

Jae'a
September 4th, 2012, 03:33 PM
My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/70038.html)
Woah, they got kicked out... :eek:
Carson's such a big softie! :P Hope those turtles are OK.. *Hits Sheppard*

Cluas
February 18th, 2013, 03:01 AM
I have to say, i hated the "previously on SGA" 'cos it ruined much of the suspense.

The intergalactic bridge was awesome. Great idea. Was it Sam or McKay? Or both?

Shep back on earth, ordering pizza. The jumper could just fit in the gateroom. Good to see O'Neill again.
Looking forward to next episode.
:weir:

garhkal
February 19th, 2013, 03:49 PM
IIRC it was both Mccay and carter.

Cluas
February 19th, 2013, 11:43 PM
IIRC it was both Mccay and carter.

Well, Rodney called it "The McKay/Carter super-something", but i suspect Carter did most of the work
(no, not really, but I like to think she is actually the smartest of the two)

mrscopterdoc
August 20th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Distracting Dr. Lee with talk about WOW. Classic.

Loved that! Poor Dr Lee :P

garhkal
August 22nd, 2014, 04:03 PM
Perhaps mccay could have 'prepped' her a little better. Well if he himself plays it.

jfarrell327
December 15th, 2014, 01:06 PM
I like the episode, but if I was one of the crew I would be mad, we save them then they kick us out without so much as a ZPM or any kind of going away prize. I must say I am glad that the replicators got rid of the Ancients, they kind of deserved it.

hedwig
December 15th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I like the episode, but if I was one of the crew I would be mad, we save them then they kick us out without so much as a ZPM or any kind of going away prize. I must say I am glad that the replicators got rid of the Ancients, they kind of deserved it.

I'm pretty sure that everyone on Atlantis was peeved (at the least) over the way the Ancients booted them out of the city. It was beyond rude and ungrateful of the Ancients.

unscheduled traveller
March 15th, 2018, 01:30 PM
What can we expect from a young Linnea, destroyer of worlds.