Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SG1 - Did "The Fifth Race" inspire a proposed HBO series?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG1 - Did "The Fifth Race" inspire a proposed HBO series?

The TV Squad posted the following. In reading it the article, I realized it sounded familiar. As in a comment from Daniel Jackson during "The Fifth Race" familiar.

From TV Squad:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/09/03/hb...ome/1#c2026117

HBO to launch a science fiction series in Ancient Rome?!

Posted Sep 3rd 2006 1:11PM by Richard Keller

Okay, before I continue here I just want to mention that this is unsubstantiated information from an untested resource. Also, as far as we know, it is not part of the development deal James Gandolfini recently signed with HBO. And, finally, this is not an idea I came up with during a dream I had last night.

According to a poster at Ain't It Cool News, HBO has been working on a new series called The Centurion, which takes place during the peak of the Roman Empire. Now, you're saying, they already have a show like that called Rome. Well, the premise of this series is that aliens regularly visited the famous city to encourage its citizens to aspire to greater heights. According to the poster, The Centurion is scheduled for a fall 2007 release.

This seems awfully fishy to me. HBO is normally not a network that delves into production of science fiction series. This sounds like something that you would see on a channel like Showtime; they have a history in this genre with shows like StargateG-1 and Jeremiah. Perhaps HBO is producing this show in an agreement with the Sci-Fi Channel, or another outlet. Let me know what you think?

And my comment:

Sounds to me like someone just watched the Friday Stargate SG-1 Viewer's Choice Marathon on the SciFi Channel.

In the season two episode, "The Fifth Race," Jack O'Neill has the library of the Ancients (one of the major alien races on SG1) accidentally downloaded into his brain. (I know - ouch!)

In the episode, Daniel Jackson suggests a connection between the Ancients and the Romans.

SAM: Who are the Ancients?

DANIEL: Well, I think they could be the teachers of roads. See, the Romans were the first real road builders. They spoke Latin and they learned to build roads from the gods, known as the Ancient ones.

SAM: I'm still not following you.

DANIEL: Roads. Stargates. The 'gate builders. What if these Ancients were the alien race who invented the Stargate?

Morjana

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

I think you forgot Odyssey 5 in the list of sci-fi Showtime had and then canceled because the president is a dumbass.

Comment

Hmmm, that is kind of different for HBO. I can't wait to hear more about it though.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo
        I think you forgot Odyssey 5 in the list of sci-fi Showtime had and then canceled because the president is a dumbass.
        i do rember that show and it was good, another show i was like where did that go and what happened? I also liked Jeramiah too. I find it also interesting that Scifi is now showing re runs of dead like me, also another SHOWTIME show.

Comment

MMM, interessant!!
          I HATE SY-FY

Comment

sounds like my kind of show

Comment

The general idea sounds is pretty interesting if a tad unoriginal. But hey, you can never have enough ancient civilization meets aliens can you?

Comment

Working...
              X