Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ancients non-interference policy (BIG spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ancients non-interference policy (BIG spoilers)

I've been thinking about this for some time, and I've come up with a logical reason for the way the ascended ancients are acting.

Given:
    1) Janus built a new time-jumper in the MW and then used it to discover 'future' history.

2) Certain ascended beings have gotten away with minor interference.

3) Various references to merlin refer to him aging backwards. This could be another indication of time travel. (Built his own time-jumper?)

The above got me thinking that the reason they don't interfere is that they know what's going to happen (possibly Merlin told them) and they don't want to ruin the out-come by changing the course of events.

Some of them have been allowed to interact with the main characters in minor ways. These cases may have been very subtle manipulations to get them "back on track."

In shorter form, they know we're going to win, but they don't want to screw it up, since the outcome affects them big time!

What are your thoughts?
    Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Sounds vaguely like Hari Seldon to me...
    Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
    Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
    -Audioslave

Comment

Originally posted by full.infinity
      Sounds vaguely like Hari Seldon to me...
      That was another thought I had while thinking of this. It is very much a psychohistory type of thing.
      Mammals suck!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

Originally posted by ascendedancient42
        I've been thinking about this for some time, and I've come up with a logical reason for the way the ascended ancients are acting.

Given:
        1) Janus built a new time-jumper in the MW and then used it to discover 'future' history.

2) Certain ascended beings have gotten away with minor interference.

3) Various references to merlin refer to him aging backwards. This could be another indication of time travel. (Built his own time-jumper?)

The above got me thinking that the reason they don't interfere is that they know what's going to happen (possibly Merlin told them) and they don't want to ruin the out-come by changing the course of events.

Some of them have been allowed to interact with the main characters in minor ways. These cases may have been very subtle manipulations to get them "back on track."

In shorter form, they know we're going to win, but they don't want to screw it up, since the outcome affects them big time!

What are your thoughts?
        If what you are saying were true, the Ancients would not only know the final outcome, but would also have to intimately know all of the events leading up to this so called outcome. If they didn’t they wouldn’t know when to interfere and when not to interfere. I mean if they didn’t know every step of the way how would they know if their direct actions were needed or not in order to achieve their desired future?

Or maybe just some of the Ancients know the future and the others wouldn’t listen. This could be why Merlin built his weapon. He may have witnessed the future and realized that what he saw must not come to pass. So he may not only know what his weapon does, but why it needed to be made and used. The others, having a strict policy against time travel and meddling with the natural course of causality, are simply trying to prevent information attained from time travel from being used to alter what they see as an uncertain future, a future that must cause itself naturally no matter what the outcome.

Comment

The asended stick in my craw. I wish they hadn't made the Ori. But they did and I'm just going to have deal with it.

That said, I don't know that the ancients "know the future." While possible, the big wigs in atlantis seemed fairly dead set against meddling with time in any way. It's certainly reasonable they couldn't have looked forward and are trying to direct events to make them reach a specific shape. The atlantis guys just didn't seems like the type to try it though.

From the spoilers for The Shroud they say Jackson appears to have become a prior. I think it's more likely that Jackson is going to become a prior of the ancients. Honestly, the ancients could pick up and move to a new galaxy and seed it with humans. Weather or not they have a plan or are directing events to a specific future, they obviously don't want to give up on our galaxy quite yet. But why.....

Comment

I just think the Ancients are lazy.
            http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9...sigcopy9ie.jpg
            The Alliance is born!!!!

Comment

For starters we dont know if its the Ancients non interference rule. We know that the Ancients are only some of the ascended in our galaxy, maybe the rule was already in place when they ascended.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
                For starters we dont know if its the Ancients non interference rule. We know that the Ancients are only some of the ascended in our galaxy, maybe the rule was already in place when they ascended.
                i agree. i think they are bound by rules that they didnt make.

Comment

Interesting thought. Did the ancients stop in our galaxy to investigate the ruins of another, older advanced culture? Then stayed here because the puzzle was particularly interesting?

Who then are 'the others?' Were the Ancients given the idea of ascending by encountering one of them breaking the rules?

Was the non-interference rule introduced because of interaction with the unascended Ancients?
                  Mammals suck!

Comment

Maybe The Others guided the Ancients to great technology. Anything is better than the Ancients created all life and invented everything.
                    http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9...sigcopy9ie.jpg
                    The Alliance is born!!!!

Comment

Maybe they're just staging the whole non-interference thing because if they say "hey we saw the future if you do it yourself all will be alright" they're afraid we go fishing and the whole timeline screws up

Comment

Created by the Furlings!

Say hello to my little friend!!

Comment

Working...
                        X