X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eh? Descendants? SPOILERS

Yo if teyla's people are supposed to be

spoilers in white...

Descendants of the ancients how come they don't have the ancient gene, as indicated when Sheppard activated that "I am a ancient" beacon. I think Teyla said that her father gave it to her and that they never had any problems with it..so if they were descendants how come they don't have the gene?

Anybody got any theory's?
    Jackson: Hathor was the Egyptian goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music.
    O'Neill: Sex, drugs, and rock and roll?

I think if the Wraith keep herds of human which they cull every few hundred years or so, and they have the technology to detect people with the Ancient gene, that it would be one of the first things they weed out.

Comment

Good point. And neither do all the people of earth have the gene. If the ancients were the human ancestors, wouldn't all humans have the gene ? My guess is that some ancients interbred with humans, who existed next to the ancients as some sort of sister race but evolved from a common ancestor. At least that would explain why we are so much alike.

Comment

Teyla people aren't descendant of the Ancients, they oh refer to the Ancients as Ancestors. Where as on Earth, the Romans called them Ancients, believing them to be there forebarers.

Teylas people are humans and are therefore open to the same evolutionary track as the rest of humanity. However, the Wraith do kill off 95% of their population every few hundred years. So it is safe to say their evolution might be getting a serious kicking. Not many people survive the culling, and therefore the number of people developing ancient genes and surviving multiple generations of attack to pass them on is VERY slim. The likelihood is that it is even more unlikely for people culled by the wraith is have any sign of ancient genes.

Also it is also most likely that the ancients created humans in the pegasus galaxy separate from us on Earth. This is because they have the technology to shape life and develop it to whatever shape they liked. Since the Ancients left Earth 5-10 million years ago, a long time before humans evolved on Earth, it is more likely to have created humans in the pegasus galaxy, rather than travel back to Earth and pick some humans up.

If this is the case then there is an unsettling notation that perhaps the Ancients created a single planet in the pegasus galaxy from which to take humans from. Something along the lines of a second Earth with billions of humans. This world could then be used to populate the other worlds with small populations early on.

Wouldn't it be scary if there is a second planet like Earth out there with a lot of humans fighting like Earth was against the Goauld but instead this time the Wraith. Then maybe Earth and this other planet might disagree about who really has rights to what in regards to the Ancients legacy. Man now that would be funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Wraith of the West
          Good point. And neither do all the people of earth have the gene. If the ancients were the human ancestors, wouldn't all humans have the gene ? My guess is that some ancients interbred with humans, who existed next to the ancients as some sort of sister race but evolved from a common ancestor. At least that would explain why we are so much alike.
          We look a like because they created us and all other life in the galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by jpf190279
            Teyla people aren't descendant of the Ancients, they oh refer to the Ancients as Ancestors. Where as on Earth, the Romans called them Ancients, believing them to be there forebarers.

Teylas people are humans and are therefore open to the same evolutionary track as the rest of humanity. However, the Wraith do kill off 95% of their population every few hundred years. So it is safe to say their evolution might be getting a serious kicking. Not many people survive the culling, and therefore the number of people developing ancient genes and surviving multiple generations of attack to pass them on is VERY slim. The likelihood is that it is even more unlikely for people culled by the wraith is have any sign of ancient genes.

Also it is also most likely that the ancients created humans in the pegasus galaxy separate from us on Earth. This is because they have the technology to shape life and develop it to whatever shape they liked. Since the Ancients left Earth 5-10 million years ago, a long time before humans evolved on Earth, it is more likely to have created humans in the pegasus galaxy, rather than travel back to Earth and pick some humans up.

If this is the case then there is an unsettling notation that perhaps the Ancients created a single planet in the pegasus galaxy from which to take humans from. Something along the lines of a second Earth with billions of humans. This world could then be used to populate the other worlds with small populations early on.

Wouldn't it be scary if there is a second planet like Earth out there with a lot of humans fighting like Earth was against the Goauld but instead this time the Wraith. Then maybe Earth and this other planet might disagree about who really has rights to what in regards to the Ancients legacy. Man now that would be funny.
            Teyla's people ARE the descendants of the Ancients who came into the Pegasus Galaxy from Earth. They speak a dialect of Ancient-Latin and possess vestiges of Ancient tech; they are descendants. They lost their Ancient wisdom much the same way the humans of Earth did.
            Last edited by LordAnubis; 20 August 2004, 10:11 PM.

Comment

This is an interesting concept. I would love to see it played out on the series. The only problem is it would sort of put a damper on the series because they'd have problems doing it without revisting these people and while I'd like to see it once, I don't need to see it week to week. Maybe someone will write a fanfic about it. Although I don't read fanfic.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                Teyla's people ARE the descendants of the Ancients who came into the Pegasus Galaxy from Earth. They speak a dialect of Ancient-Latin and possess vestigates of Ancient tech; they are descendants. They lost their Ancient wisdom much the same way the humans of Earth did.
                I agree, it would make no sense that the anceints made humans why would they do that we and genetic cousens and the poeple in the pagasus galexly may not be ancient but they aren't human. it is possible that they evolved from the ancient and actualy became less advants.
                -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
                GS/CS/CC>D?S++:+A----C++++U?P?L+!EW++(+)N-O?K?W---O?
                M+@V?PS+PE--YPGP!T!5!XR+>TV++B+++(++)DI+D-GE-H!R---Y?
                ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
                geekcode

Comment

Teyla's people are NOT the Ancient's decendants. The Ancients created them, but they are not the same race, the Ancients were not human, but the Athosians are. The Ancients sparked the evolutionary process, so in a way they are the ancestors, but the humans of Pegaus are in no means there descendants (legacy would be a better word).
                  Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                    Teyla's people are NOT the Ancient's decendants. The Ancients created them, but they are not the same race, the Ancients were not human, but the Athosians are. The Ancients sparked the evolutionary process, so in a way they are the ancestors, but the humans of Pegaus are in no means there descendants (legacy would be a better word).
                    Cheers for Rocket... I have an ally!

Thank god someone actually pays attention. I was getting worried, I thought I'd been watching another tv series by the same name LOL.

The Ancients also stated that they "seeded this galaxy with humans life" i.e. pegasus. Also the Ancients have done this before...

Spoiler:
                    The episode called Threads deals with the Ancients using a device to re-create life in our galaxy after it was practically wiped out by the plague. This may be the explanation to why we look like the Ancients and why their are no other "Ancient Races". It is possible that at some point in the distant past there were many races but the plague wiped them out. The only ones to have survived were the Ancients. They saw it has their duty to re-spawn life to help it recover. Hence why most livable planets with a Stargate have the same flora and similar lifeforms. See Nox and Humans.

Comment

Cheers for Rocket... I have an ally!

Thank god someone actually pays attention. I was getting worried, I thought I'd been watching another tv series by the same name LOL.

The Ancients also stated that they "seeded this galaxy with humans life" i.e. pegasus. Also the Ancients have done this before...

Spoiler:
                      The episode called Threads deals with the Ancients using a device to re-create life in our galaxy after it was practically wiped out by the plague. This may be the explanation to why we look like the Ancients and why their are no other "Ancient Races". It is possible that at some point in the distant past there were many races but the plague wiped them out. The only ones to have survived were the Ancients. They saw it has their duty to re-spawn life to help it recover. Hence why most livable planets with a Stargate have the same flora and similar lifeforms. See Nox and Humans.
                      SPOILER...SEASON 6 "FROZEN"....

Did you not see "Frozen"? Ayiana, who was an Ancient, was analyzed and Dr.Frazier said she was human in every way EXCEPT a few biochemical differences. Ayiana was HUMAN, not some alien species. If Ayiana and jpf190279 decided to get it on, and did it, they would have be able to have a HUMAN offspring. This assuming jpf is male, of course. They wouldn't have some lizard baby with Andorrian antennae and Vulcan ears.

The Ancients were advanced humans, no more no less. The humans found in MW galaxy are there for four reasons:

1) The Ancients settled and seeded other planets in the MW, like vis urban, etc.
                      2) The Goa'uld brought humans from Earth to other planets to use as slaves/hosts
                      3) The Asgard brought humans from Earth to protect them ("Thor's Hammer" and "Red Sky")
                      4) They figured out the gates themselves and moved around on their own (Tolans)

In Pegasus, the Ancients seeded the galaxy with humans...who were either their descendants or less advanced genetic variations.

So whether the Athosians are actually living descendants of the population of the Atlantis Ancients, or were created from Ancient genetic stock, is irrelevant; they are both human and they are both byproducts of Ancient humans.

Why do I say they are living descendants? If you saw "Rising", "Hide and Seek", and some of the other episodes of SGA, you would know that the following facts were presented:

1) Teyla and the others refer the Atlanteans and Ancients as the "Ancestors". The word ancestor implies a familial linkage...a connection. For Teyla, saying "ancestor" is like an Italian guy saying the Romans were his ancestors, which is a true statement. The Vikings were the ancestors of the Germans/Swedes/Dutch/Danes, the Celts were the ancestors of the Irish/Welsh/Scots, etc. The Ancients from Atlantis settled on Athos and thrived until the Wraith came.

2) The Athosians have some Ancient tech at their disposal, but not much (the little laser lighter thingy). Also, there was an old city on Athos that appeared to have some Ancient tech or Ancient writings. Left overs from Ancients.

3) The Athosians speak, or have knowledge, of Latin, the language of the Ancients. Remember in "Hide and Seek" when that one dude said the prayer in Latin?

I think the situation on Earth and in the MW is different than it is in Pegasus, but the idea is the same.

Comment

MY THEORY ON THE ANCIENTS AND OUR CONNECTION:

The Ancients evolved on Earth (at least, i think so, but I might be wrong on this) MILLIONS of years ago. They developed a thriving scientific culture that wasn't based on religion or mythology. Why do I say this? Well, they weren't caught up in all that myth stuff, they were devoted to science and betterment of society.

They developed FTL technology and began to explore the galaxy. At some point, they discovered naquadah and realized it's usefulness. Later, they developed the gate network and began to explore the MW even further. Some of them remained on the planets they explored, but most did not. Maybe they had some kind of Prime Directive or something. However, if you notice from the SG-1 series, most of the humans encountered are either a few hundred to a thousand years more advanced than us (e.g., Tollans, Aschen, "Other Side" dudes), about our level of technology, or less advanced than us. Most of these humans appeared to be brought to their worlds from Earth by the Goa'uld or Asgard ("Red SKy and "Thor's Hammer").

I'm not sure if it was ever said that the Tolans were brought from Earth by the Goau'ld. Harlan's people and Reese's people may have been actual descendants of the Ancients, but if that were true, they would be much more advanced than the Asgard. So, a reasonable inference is that all, if not most, of the human life in the MW Galaxy is due to movement of the Goa'uld or Asgard, not the Ancients.

That means that we Terrans/Earthlings are the only TRUE descendants of the Ancients. We were left behind by the Ancients. I'm not sure what Dr. Beckett meant by "second evolution", but even if we evolved a second time, it was due to genetic manipulation of the Ancients who could foresee the need to repopulate due to a virus/plague/wraith/goau'ld, etc. I think the better answer, however, is that we didn't evolve a second time, but were left behind and became primitive and had major set backs (wars, continental drift, volcanoes, disease, mysticism and primitive religious interference, dark ages, etc.).

TO BE CONTINUED...

Comment

MY THEORY PART TWO:

So, after the Ancients developed the gate network and began to learn as much as they could about this Galaxy, they discovered a lot about the universe and the way things work, including life. They probably were able to master their problems on earth: climate, food sources, political unity, disease, etc. There were probably very few problems on Earth, so this left them the ability to focus their energy on other worlds.

I have no clue about any time lines and won't even begin to guess, but I would say at some point, millions of years ago, they decided to explore other galaxies. As far as we know, up to this point, the only galaxy they explored was Pegasus and perhaps Ida, but that's all we know.

We know what happened when they arrived in Pegasus. They seeded that galaxy with their life forms, with themselves. It's not clear if the humans that populated the Pegasus at first were primitive, or were at the same level as the Ancients. If they were Ancients, then they are primitive today due to the culling of the Wraith, lack of resources, etc. If they were primitive then, then the Wraith may be the reason for their lack of advancement.

There are some huge gaping holes in the SG-A and SG-1 plots. However, I think some of it has been said already. The Ancients arrived in Pegasus, seeded it, developed it, built a new gate network, and began to explore. This took some time; maybe a million years. At some point, they ran into the Wraith and the rest is history. How long did that war last? Maybe another million years? Probably more than that. For whatever reason, the Ancients fled Pegasus through the Atlantis gate for Earth. WHen was this? It has to be more than 11,000 years ago since the Goa'uld were here then. It had to be at least 20,000 years ago, but possibly as much as 40,000 years ago. Plato may have been way off, who knows. We can't base the timeline on Plato, since that would be flawed.

The Ancients arrive back on Earth, find their outpost buried in Ice, find no remaining Ancients, but realize that there are pockets of primitive humans, their genetic descendants. Rather than build a society here on Earth, they head off to other planets through the gate, or with their ships, and discover less advanced races: Asgard, Nox, Furlings. They make the treaty/alliance. Shortly, thereafter, they get the nasty bug and begin to die out. Some of them retreat to Earth, their home planet, and blend in with the primitives. Others ascend. The rest die off.

The Asgard come to Earth, since they know this was the home of the Ancients, and observe for a while. Later, the Era of the Goau'ld comes into being, and the rest is history.

That's my take on it. Sorry for the length.

Comment

Guess we will have to watch to see who's right.

Bio-chemically speaking I can't see how something as advance as an Ancient could be the same as a human. First of all humans don't have the ability to heal one another, nor do we have precognition, psycho-kinesis, telepathy. In order to have these gifts our brains and our bodies would have to considerably different to the humans of today.

Oh its later and I'm tired *yawn*.
                            Last edited by jpf190279; 21 August 2004, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Guess we will have to watch to see who's right.

Bio-chemically speaking I can't see how something as advance as an Ancient could be the same as a human. First of all humans don't have the ability to heal one another, nor do we have precognition, psycho-kinesis, telepathy. In order to have these gifts our brains and our bodies would have to considerably different to the humans of today.

Oh its later and I'm tired *yawn*.
                              Forget all that "advanced" stuff and only look it from a basic point of view. What does the word human mean? From a biological point of view, the Ancients and all humans are the same. They are us, we are them. Yes, they have greater use of their brains and have extraordinary abilities, but as you have seen, so do we under certain circumstances (O'Neill,Shepard, Beckett, etc.).

Ayiana was HUMAN, not biologically different. Maybe if she had Cardassian ridges or something, we could accept the fact that they were different, but realistically, Ancients are Humans...you just have to accept this , cuz I'm right, and you're just stuck in this whole "humans are too inferior and primitive" routine to be the same as the Ancients.

I'm not saying we are the same level as the Ancients -- far from it. However, the Ancients are the same species as we are; they are the same biological life form as we are. There are some different neurotransmitters and hormones and stuff like that, but we be them and they be us from a biological point of view.

This is the same as Jaffa and Goa'uld. If you take Lord Yu and do a DNA analysis on him, he's no different from you other than a snake wrapped around his spinal cord hehe. Same with the Jaffa, who are modified humans. It's the way it is. It would have been different, or more convincing, if the writers of SG-1 made the Ancients asgard-like or made them blue with gold eyes or something like that, but they chose to go the Human route.

Comment

Working...
                              X