TV series.

For more information about Sacrifice Moon and a peak at the cover, go
    to:

http://www.stargatenovels.com/

and click on the Books link.

[From the website: Set early in season one of the TV series,
    Sacrifice Moon follows the adventures of Col Jack O'Neill as he leads
    his new team on their first mission through the Stargate. ]

Thanks for your continuing interest and support.

Best regards,
    Stargate Novels team
    www.stargatenovels.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone know the author? With Doc, it was easy. I knew her and what she wrote. This lady, i'm not sure. And before I sink $20 into a book, I'd love some opinions.

When it comes out, anyone in the mood to post thier opinions of the book, and in the mean time, anyone read anything else by this person?
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

I assume that Stargate novels, like most books based on TV series, are non-cannon?

I just don't see the point in reading non-cannon material. It just feels a bit pointless....

Comment

Alas, at $20 for a paperback, I'm not reading them until they hit the bargain basement bin at a convention or eBay. No, the paperback is cheaper. It's the shipping from the UK that's the killer.

Comment

these are based on canon. that's the one requirement is that it has to fit within canon

I enjoyed Doc's book, Trial by Fire. It wasn't perfect and I had a few quibbles with it here and there, but over all, it was a good read.

Doc, however, was a known entity. This Julie person is totally unknown to me. I was wondering if someone else knew her, knew her work, and had any feelings on her writing

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ibwolf
          I assume that Stargate novels, like most books based on TV series, are non-cannon?

I just don't see the point in reading non-cannon material. It just feels a bit pointless....
          They fit in with canon. No, they're not of the show or ever going to be refered to on the show (that i know of anyway) but the requirement is that tehy need to fit in and not contradict what happens

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            They fit in with canon. No, they're not of the show or ever going to be refered to on the show (that i know of anyway) but the requirement is that tehy need to fit in and not contradict what happens
            To be canon, they must a) not contradict anything on the show and b) nothing on the show must ever contradict the books (this includes not ignoring, for example, new technology discovered in the books when it would be useful on the show). I know that's a high standard to meet, and I wouldn't mind some minor variation, but I just don't see the point of reading books that will not impact the actual story. Books that by their very definition can not ACTUALLY tell me anything new about the world. It's just pointless.

This is conclusion I came to after reading entirely too many Star Wars and Star Trek books and coming to the realization that none of it had anything to do with the 'real' fictional world of Star Wars and Star Trek.

Babylon 5 is to my knowledge the only show that has published cannon books (11 of 18 B5 books are considered cannon or at least mostly cannon).

Comment

these are based on canon. that's the one requirement is that it has to fit within canon

I enjoyed Doc's book, Trial by Fire. It wasn't perfect and I had a few quibbles with it here and there, but over all, it was a good read.

Doc, however, was a known entity. This Julie person is totally unknown to me. I was wondering if someone else knew her, knew her work, and had any feelings on her writing
              Just google her name and stargate and you'll come up with links as she's published a ton of fanfic in several fandoms.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                Just google her name and stargate and you'll come up with links as she's published a ton of fanfic in several fandoms.

and????

I've never heard of her in the stargate fandom. I'm not likely to read stuff she's written in other fandoms because of cases like Ashley McConnell, who wrote decent Quantum Leap books but her stargate ones left a lot to be desired.

A person can be a very good writer in one fandom or with one set of characters and maybe not be as skilled with others. It'd be like getting Stephen King to write a romance novel.

I'm just curious. What do people think that have read her stuff?

Unlike Doc, she's an unknown quantity and I'm just wondering about her and her works and was wondering if anyone knew of her. I've been asking in other places as well and no one seems to know who she is

sigpic

Comment

and????

I've never heard of her in the stargate fandom. I'm not likely to read stuff she's written in other fandoms because of cases like Ashley McConnell, who wrote decent Quantum Leap books but her stargate ones left a lot to be desired.

Unlike Doc, she's an unknown quantity and I'm just wondering about her and her works and was wondering if anyone knew of her. I've been asking in other places as well and no one seems to know who she is
                  See, for me, I have no idea who 'doc' is, so that person is an unknown quality. But for me, if I get eithe robok at say $7 a piece, I'll get 'em, but no way will I pay exhorbitant transAtlantic postage for a piece of fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                    See, for me, I have no idea who 'doc' is, so that person is an unknown quality. But for me, if I get eithe robok at say $7 a piece, I'll get 'em, but no way will I pay exhorbitant transAtlantic postage for a piece of fiction.

I thought everyone knew, or had heard of, Doc. She was a BNF way back in the beginning.

I remember a couple of years ago when her last story came out, For God and Country, several lists were buzzing about it for weeks and when her book was announced, again a dozen lists were full of posts.

Anytime any list does a 'favorite fic/authors' thread, her name and her stories are on it.

sigpic

Comment

So, it's about the first SG-1's first mission, huh? Obviously, this places it between 'The Enemy Within' and 'Emancipation'. Interesting.

Hey, I wonder if it will be about that time Sam drank that stuff which made her take off her...
                      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

When it comes out, anyone in the mood to post thier opinions of the book, and in the mean time, anyone read anything else by this person?
                        I've read one story by her - The Good Wife

http://home.comcast.net/~juliefortun...e/goodwife.htm

It was a team story, pretty good characterization for Jack, Daniel and Sam (not much Teal'c), almost read like an early episode of the show. I don't know your preferences that well but using my vast powers of perception I think it might be a little too much "Daniel" for you.

The Good Wife is kind of a typical "Daniel gets way too involved, gets whumped and then the team saves him and they go home". I liked it but I wasn't totally "wowed" by it. However I came away thinking she has a good handle on the team interactions and characterizations and a good feel for the Stargate world. There was some nice layers in the story that I really enjoyed. A story about the team's first mission thru the gate could be pretty entertaining.

You might try "The Good Wife". If it's not your cup of tea I think I'd probably wait until you get some feedback from someone whose judgement you trust before ordering the book. I've been thinking about ordering the first Stargate novel and I may just order both at once and I'll try and come back and give my thoughts. (If you're interested). I'd certainly be willing to lend the book out if I get it.

I would like to support the Stargate novel series since if they don't sell well in the U.K. it may mean we'll never get any in the U.S. either. I also think it's neat that they're selecting authors from the fanfic world and giving them a chance.

Julie Fortune may have gotten a nod because she's also a published author under other names. After researching around it looks like she's published a series of books under "Rachel Caine". Here's the link:
                        http://www.rachelcaine.com/index.html
                        Last edited by keshou; 22 August 2004, 11:09 AM.
                        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

You might try "The Good Wife". If it's not your cup of tea I think I'd probably wait until you get some feedback from someone whose judgement you trust before ordering the book. I've been thinking about ordering the first Stargate novel and I may just order both at once and I'll try and come back and give my thoughts. (If you're interested). I'd certainly be willing to lend the book out if I get it.

_____

It may not be my cup of tea. I wore out on Daniel whump about four years ago. And senseless Jack whump not long after.

And I would love to read what others think, not only of this book, but Trial by fire, Doc's book and the first in the series.

_____

I would like to support the Stargate novel series since if they don't sell well in the U.K. it may mean we'll never get any in the U.S. either. I also think it's neat that they're selecting authors from the fanfic world and giving them a chance.

____

Same here. I like to support them, and gladly paid for the first one since I knew Doc's works and had an idea what to expect. That was an easy choice to make since she was a known quantity to me.

I found Trial by Fire interesting. She did a lot of research and I even enjoyed her original character. It didn't wow me enough that I've re-read it like I have other fic. I sometimes found bits of it ponderous and a bit dull.

It was an enjoyable read and not a purchase that i regret.

And I also think that it's neat that they are choosing fanfic authors. There are some out there that are very good and it'd be nice to see a 'underground' phenomenon given some sort of 'official' status.

If the book was published in the US and only 5-7 dollars, it wouldn't be that big of a deal and not much of a risk to get it even if I didn't end up finishing it. However, the exchange rate makes this just a little more of a gamble.

I would welcome anyones opinions on either of the books. Good, bad, indifferent.

sigpic

Comment

Doc's doing one of these new SG novels?
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                              Doc's doing one of these new SG novels?
                              Sabine Bauer, aka "Doc", wrote the very first SG novel, published in June. The title is Trial By Fire. (The second SG novel, by Julie Fortune, is due out in September.)

Go here for more details and a pic of the cover:
                              http://www.stargatenovels.com/bookshop.php

There's also a really good interview with Sabine Bauer about the book on the GW site:

http://www.gateworld.net/articles/in.../bauer01.shtml
                              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X