Firefly: Whats the attraction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefly: Whats the attraction?

About two years back i saw a trailer for this show on sci-fi but thought it looked a bt ****, but then constantly heard numerous people rave about it, from collegues, fourms and internet comics apparantly it didn't deserve cancellation.
    So after constantly hearing about how great it was for a year and a half, I looked it up and discovered it was a Josh Whedon creation. I never liked buffy and angel but then I stumbled across a website selling the boxset for half-price so I thought i'd give it a go. My conclution Firefly is the worst half baked attempted sci-fi ever. For a start wheres the actuall science? All it seems to be is a drama in space, it had a few moments granted usally in the actiony episodes and the SFX were blinding but make a show that doesn't. I was just wondering if anyone here could explain to me what makes people rave about this show so feaverishly?

The appeal of Firefly is not so easy to explain. It's part the chemistry between the characters, the humor in show, the drama, the action and more.

It's not a 'strict' SciFi show like some but that's not something to hold against it.

I was a bit sceptical about the 'old west' motif on the show initially, but once I got past it the show just glowed.

I suppose though that once you get right down to it people will either enjoy the show's charm or not. It's not something that can be quantified and explained. It's a matter of taste.

Comment

Part of the reason people rave about it is that it was made by Joss Whedon and has a lot of actors that have appeart in Buffy or Angel (three of the main characters where villians in those series )

Secondly it got this massive boost from being cancelled, I think it wouldn´t have become such a geek hit if hit had been allowed to carry on for another season or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd
        Part of the reason people rave about it is that it was made by Joss Whedon and has a lot of actors that have appeart in Buffy or Angel (three of the main characters where villians in those series )

Secondly it got this massive boost from being cancelled, I think it wouldn´t have become such a geek hit if hit had been allowed to carry on for another season or two.
        Maybe, maybe not. There is no denying that the DVDs sold very very well. The reason for that was simple: There was a huge market for the series that Fox never managed to tap because they screwed up both the promotion of the show and it's airing (moving it etc.).

Also, please finish watching the DVDs before making any judgements

Comment

I´ll get to it eventually, stop nagging about it

And this shows DVD sales benifited greatly because there was a hugh movement on the net saying that if the sales were great then maybe the show would come back.

Comment

The appeal of Firefly... Oh boy, do you have a couple of hours?

No, but seriously, for me it´s a combination of lots of things, all wrapped up into one awesome story. For example: the writing. The writing really is top-notch, a wonderful mix of both humour and drama. The characters, who I just adore, are fully third-dimensional and fleshed out. The storyline/s kicks into gear right from the beginning. (That is, if you watch the dvd, where you actually see it in the intended order - where the pilot airs first and not as it originally did on the network, which was last. Go figure.) *grumble grumble*

Anyway, I don´t really think of it as sci-fi so I never expected there to be a certain amount of science in there. I really hesitate to put it into a genre of any kind because I find it very difficult to define. And the 'Space Western' lable hardly does it any justice. I guess if I were to put it into a genre I would lean towards the movie description: Futuristic Action-Adventure.

I fell head-over-heals for this show. There is just this irresistible storytelling to it that makes it stand out from the crowd. The fact that it was cancelled was a crying shame. But hey, at least there´s the movie to look forward to! And hopefully a trilogy, too.
            Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Joss Whedon has a certain style of writing and making TV that some people just love. Buffy and Angel weren't run of the mill shows about the supernatural. If you want that, then Charmed is your ticket. If you weren't into Buffy and Angel, then it would stand to reason that Firefly wouldn't appeal to you either. I think the appeal is Whedon, not the genre.
              Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
              O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
              O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

It seems to me you were going in wanting holodeck problems and tachyon emmisions... and the science is even better in Firefly since there is no sound in space, unlike pretty much every other sci-fi show

It's great because of the writing, the acting and the general humour of the whole thing, but it's serious too (Arial is my favourite episode)

Comment

The show is great in that it has little to no techno babble and uses instead solid story telling.

The only think that slightly bothers me is the heavy handed cowboy theme, personally I think Whedon should have tuned it down a bit and done it in a more subtle way.

Comment

If you noticed though, if they weren't always in the poor areas in the show, where they have to be to prevent from running into the Alliance (pretty much the bad guys of show, but isn't the main ones at the same time) the show wouldn't always be so, western, haha, theres a bit of Chinese in the show, especially when someone curses/cusses, its kind of funny, haha... I think its only western, because most of the show is always/usualy near a planet that is poor and still in the basic technology area, which is pretty much western. I guess the scifi in the show is pretty different from other scifi shows, especially Farscape and Stargate, because originally Joss Whedon was thinking of putting monster/demons/etc in the show, but i don't know what happened to that, but i'm pretty happy how the show went, with a variety of characters that each get their moments.
                    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Yes, and the other strange thing I never really noticed is that there are no aliens at all. (Well, Reavers are pretty "alien" but they are still human in the biological sense)

Comment

I was confused who the Reavers were, but i always guessed it was those people who can make people bleed from everywhere, haha... Pretty eww...

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                          I was confused who the Reavers were, but i always guessed it was those people who can make people bleed from everywhere, haha... Pretty eww...
                          No, they were two weird guys from the Academy tracking down River, the Reavers were basically the guys who eat people and take their faces, as Mal says "They'll rape you, kill you and eat you, and if you're lucky, in that order"

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                            No, they were two weird guys from the Academy tracking down River, the Reavers were basically the guys who eat people and take their faces, as Mal says "They'll rape you, kill you and eat you, and if you're lucky, in that order"
                            Oh wait, nevermind then but those people i was mentioning were still pretty weird, freaky weird, walking around with a stick in their hand that can magically make you bleed!

Comment

Excellent cast -- Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Adam Baldwin, Ron Glass and more.

Nice sense of humor.

Interesting stories, cool special effects, lovely music.

Yes, there were a couple of elements that I didn't care for -- the idiot doctor and his sister, and the hooker in space.

But the total show was a hoot to watch -- and darn, Nathan Fillion is fine to look at.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                              SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                              Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X