This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoilers - SciFi Magazine Oct. 2004 Issue

There are spoilers ahead for both Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, so reader beware...

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

Just received the October 2004 issue of the SciFi Magazine tonight. Really not much there for either Stargate SG-1 or Stargate Atlantis as compared to the August 2004 issue.

One item was confirmed though: BOTH Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis will resume new episodes in January 2005 after the mid-season break in September.

From page 64:

STARGATE ATLANTIS (SciFi)

SciFi's big new Stargate series kicks into high gear as it digs into the final days of summer. The series will air for the next few weeks before breaking until January to air the rest of the season.

Executive producer Robert C. Cooper believes Stargate Atlantis should appeal to those who like SG-1. "There's been a lot of fan feeling that Stargate has changed a lot over the years and that they miss the early season adventures where SG=1 was together and going to new planets and getting into trouble, and that's what Atlantis is going to be for the first while. It's very much the original new frontier of Stargate SG-1. So if you like that, I think you'll like Atlantis."

After eight seasons of Stargate SG-1, co-producer and director Martin Wood is thrilled to be in on the development of the Atlantis series from the beginning.

"We've taken an eight-year mentality and put it into this show. For me being able to get in on the ground floor and help create Atlantis was the coolest thing...The first year, I think, is really to feel out the characters, to feel out the space that you're in. So what we're doing is discovering Atlantis, which is a very neat thing to be able to do, because it's a city. It was where the Ancients lived. So there are Ancient technologies that are so far beyond our ken that you pick something up, and remember that the genes that we have activate this stuff. So often when you pick something up, you have no idea what it is. It could be bad, or it could be good," says Wood.

"It's not quite like what we're used with Stargate, where we'll normally go to another planet and see someone using something and go, 'That's cool. Let's take that,' or 'We want to stay away from that.' In this case, there's nobody here who can use it except us, and we don't know whether it's a toothbrush or a device to start some kind of self-destruct. So there's that discovery that goes on."

Since they have spaceships courtesy of the Ancients, the Atlantis team will spend lots of time exploring both space and other planets in the region. However, they won't be able to phone home, a problem that will concern the characters on both Stargate series this season.

STARGATE SG-1 (SciFi)

"We're really building toward a very big climatic resolution to the storylines we've been developing the last couple of years," says executive producer Robert C. Cooper about the last few episodes set to air before the season break. After that the second half of the season will resume in January.

Upcoming episodes will see Teal'c move outside the base, the return of Jolene Blalock and a mystery involving the gate itself. "Avatar" is a story bout Teal'c being trapped in a virtual-reality video game. The scientists from SGC are using the chairs from "Gamekeeper," the episode in season two. And they've created a simulator that's supposed to help train SG soldiers, and Teal'c is helping them test it, and he gets basically trapped in the game and it won't let him out," says Cooper.

Next comes "Affinity," which sees Teal'c move into an apartment in Colorado Springs and get involved with the locals. In "Covenant," a billionaire comes upon evidence that "there is alien life out there and evidence of Anubis' fleet's attack on Earth that took place in 'Lost City.' He decides it's time for the people to know about it, and he wants to go public. And SG-1 is trying desperately to keep the cat in the bag," says Cooper. "And then "Sacrifice" is the return of Jolene Blalock as Ishta. Rya'c has decided to get married, and he's going to be getting married to one of the girls of the Ha'ktyl, Ishta's group of female warriors. And it's happening at a time when the Jaffa under Moloc's rule are planning a rebellion."

Finally, "End Game" will complete the show's summer run. While it doesn't end with a cliffhanger, Cooper believes it will intrigue. "The opening tease is that the Stargate is beamed out of the SGC, and so we end up having to go through trying to unravel the mystery of who stole the Stargate and what they're using it for. It becomes a whole deal involving the Tok'ra and the Jaffa rebellion and the Goa'uld."

So, will this be the final season for Stargate SG-1? "I've stopped saying that. But I can tell you that the second half of the season is going to be the most epic story wise that we've ever done. Huge, huge things are going to happen in the second half of the year. Whether they become the series finale storylines or not remains to be seen. I think if you've watched Stargate you're going to want to see the last six or seven episodes, because it's going to be big."

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Other items of interest in the August 2004 issue:

Page 13 -- color photo of Amanda Tapping and Michael Shanks smooching at the Creation 2004 Grand Slam Convention in Pasadena.

Page 46: Photo of RDA (one of the Season Seven publicity photos) in connection to the article, "What The #$@*! Happened To Fall?" -- and on Page 47 a brief reference to Stargate SG-1 possibly nearing the end of its run.

Page 65: Full page ad for Stargate Atlantis.

Page 75: Full page ad for Stargate SG-1

Page 79: A new cartoon from TheLighterSideofScifi.com -- O'Neill and Carter standing beside a DHD, and Aeryn Sun, Young ObiWan and Jonathan Archer standing opposite them. Jack is saying, "Well, someone made a long distance call on this thing and it wasn't me!"

From Thomas P. Vitale's column (he's in Programming) "TV on TV" on page 82:

Why does the new season of Stargate SG-1 premiere in the summer?…Another challenge we have is figuring out when to run our new series. Although there are more original programs on television during the summer than ever before, those hot months still remain a less competitive time for television. Therefore, we usually premiere our new original shows, like Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, in the summer. The downside is that there are fewer people watching television on the average summer evening. It's a quandary -- do we schedule our new shows during months when more people are watching, or during months when there's less "good stuff" on other channels?

The decision we usually me is to target the summer. However, in the base of our upcoming Battlestar Galactica weekly series, we decided to hold that new show until January 2005. It didn't fit our schedule this summer because we were already focusing on Stargate Atlantis, and didn't want to force another new show into the schedule.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Also articles on: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow; New Fall Shows -- Lost, Ghost and Proof Positive, plus Father of the Pride, Desperate Housewives and Jack and Bobby; Returning Shows -- updates on Smallville, Enterprise, Charmed, Tru Calling and Joan of Arcadia; Things to Come -- Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Revelations; Resident Evil: Apocalypse; and the Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Originally posted by morjana
    "We're really building toward a very big climatic resolution to the storylines we've been developing the last couple of years," says executive producer Robert C. Cooper about the last few episodes set to air before the season break.
    What, again? I felt they did exactly that with 'Lost City' in season 7. I'm having a hard time imagening something bigger than that... but when he starts talking about a big 6 - 7 episode climax...

He confirms that the final episode before the mid-season break will not be a cliffhanger. For a change... Interesting.
    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

It better be big. THe first few episodes of Season 8 were pretty dissapointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Klems
        It better be big. THe first few episodes of Season 8 were pretty dissapointing.
        The first few? I guess i have to agree to disagree here, because i thought the premiere, Lockdown were just wow, haha... Can't say much for Icon, didn't hate it though
        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Stuff like that just makes me more excited for 2005, but incredibly impatient. Why, or WHY does it take so long for the premiere to get here, and then the eps just fly by and there's nothing but "Joey" and James Spader on TV. Why!

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
            The first few? I guess i have to agree to disagree here, because i thought the premiere, Lockdown were just wow, haha... Can't say much for Icon, didn't hate it though
            I agree. New Order, Lockdown, Zero Hour, and Avatar were all great eps. (New Order especially)
            Icon was soso.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
              Stuff like that just makes me more excited for 2005, but incredibly impatient. Why, or WHY does it take so long for the premiere to get here, and then the eps just fly by and there's nothing but "Joey" and James Spader on TV. Why!
              I know what you mean! Except about the James Spader part, not too big of a fan of him hahaha But i guess i can't argue, since i'm in Japan and i dont SG on tv at all, well nevermind, AFN shows it, just not the new ones, darn
              Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Working...
              X