X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ratings slip in wake of '200' promotion

Taken from http://gateworld.net/news/2006/08/ra...200_prom.shtml
    Rating for the August 25 episodes of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis slipped in the wake of the highly promoted two-hundredth episode the week before, but still managed to hold enough of their audiences to beat this summer's averages.

SG-1 premiered "Counterstrike" at 9 p.m. Eastern/Pacific on SCI FI Channel. The episode earned a 1.5 average household rating, down four-tenths of a point from the previous week's heavily promoted episode.

In typical form, Atlantis built slightly on its lead-in, with a 1.6 rating for "Common Ground" at 10 p.m. This is a drop of two-tenths of a point from the previous week.
    Now I believe that SciFi is controlling the ratings. It's a big coincidence that after the 200th episode rating of 1.9, it just sinks back down to 1.5. The episode was really good, and I would expect that the ratings would at least stay around 1.7, 1.8ish, as people would at least check out the next episode from 200 (Counterstrike). But I do believe now that SciFi is controlling the ratings and is pushing them back down to back up their selfish plan to get rid of Stargate SG-1 to make room for Eureka and ECW and to get rid of the competition.

Please post your ideas.

Guys, please do NOT report articles in thier entirity, even if they're from GW
    Last edited by Skydiver; 28 August 2006, 06:00 PM.

Jesus is Lord!

Why would the purposely cut down the ratings?

Surely they're just interested in the most ratings they can get in whatever way they can?

Comment

It's a weird coincidence, that's all, and that Eureka is still holding a 2.0 average. No offense to any Eureka fans, but

1) Eureka isn't nearly as good as Stargate and IMHO won't have good ratings in it's second season (unless SciFi over advertises it)
      2) It's NBC's/USA's/SciFi's show so it'll get what ever ratings SciFi wants it to get, and is the reason it's promoted, i mean, over promoted, and Stargate is not (In my opinion Stargate still is competition with Eureka and ECW [popularity of the shows] and the only way to stop the competition is for SciFi to push Stargate out the way, cuz if you looked at the news, SciFi didn't have a real reason to cancel the show other than,"We felt like it was time for Stargate SG-1 to end.").

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Networks can't control the ratings. As I guessed, people tuned in just for the 200th ep and didn't stick around for the following week.

Comment

1) Why would Sci Fi want to make less money? (Low ratings cause a knock on effect over how much they can charge for the time in future)
          2) They've canned the show anyway, why would they care? - seeing as they've already covered their butt with a "it's not a ratings issue".
          3) The 200th episode got a 1.9 because it was a special episode. It probably pulled in a fair few old fans (who don't like the current direction) who watched only that episode for the curiousity value.
          4) 1.5 is pretty good for season 10.

Comment

I'm not american, don't have Sci-Fi so i've never seen Eureka, never even heard of it .

But I think there's something more going on here than Sci-Fi / MGM let on.

Seems very out of the blue that they announced it, and the timing they announced it was horrible aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
              Networks can't control the ratings.
              No, but they can influence them.

And there is a motive. Stargate isn't owned by NBC. NBC wants its channels to air as much stuff from NBC as possible.
              Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
              Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
              -Audioslave

Comment

Originally posted by Konijn
                I'm not american, don't have Sci-Fi so i've never seen Eureka, never even heard of it .

But I think there's something more going on here than Sci-Fi / MGM let on.

Seems very out of the blue that they announced it, and the timing they announced it was horrible aswell.
                MGM wants Stargate to continue. I say that SciFi wants Eureka and ECW in there with no competition so there kicking Stargate out. Regardless of ratings, which only pickup 5% of the US, Stargate is a very popular show. Ther would be no reason to cancel it until the producers or actors are ready to do so.

And if you wan to know what Eureka is, then check out SciFi.com and youll see all the advertisements it has.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by full.infinity
                  No, but they can influence them.

And there is a motive. Stargate isn't owned by NBC. NBC wants its channels to air as much stuff from NBC as possible.
                  I agree, which is why I believe SciFi/ NBC is up to something, stated above.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

The ratings slipped back down because fans were only tuning in to see RDA. Or because it was a "milestone" ep. Or because it was funny. Or maybe they hated 200 so much that they stopped watching. Or maybe there was a good movie playing at the mall this past week. *shrug* Even assuming that SCIFI had any way of controlling the numbers- which they don't since it's an independent source that monitors these things- they would no reason to fake the ratings because the show is already cancelled.

Comment

I've had another thought about the lower ratings...

Didn't a lot of cable TV packages get changed a few months back...cos I remember someone on LJ saying they had to upgrade their TV package to keep Sci Fi.
                      sigpic
                      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I do agree that Scifi is doing everything in their power to make Eureka seem like a better show- more Eureka ads, less SG-1, cancellation of SG1 for no reason, ECW, pushing back the time slot, etc. It seems as though they think they can get more money if they put one of their own shows up to the spotlight. If you haven't noticed, SG-1, SGA, and BSG are not and will not be promoted nearly as much as Eureka has been and will be promoted. They just want their show to be in the spotlight. Which show do you think will fill the SG-1 time slot? It won't be SGA or BSG. It will either be Eureka, Doctor Who, or ECW, three shows that in reality aren't nearly as good.
                        Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                        encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                        3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                        4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                        5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay

Didn't a lot of cable TV packages get changed a few months back...cos I remember someone on LJ saying they had to upgrade their TV package to keep Sci Fi.
                          That wouldnt have anything to do with it. Sorry. And they could still affect the ratings. Either way, I still believe that SciFi just want Eureka in the spotlight.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay

Yes, but the ratings have been adjusted to compensate for the loss of viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper
                              I do agree that Scifi is doing everything in their power to make Eureka seem like a better show- more Eureka ads, less SG-1, cancellation of SG1 for no reason, ECW, pushing back the time slot, etc. It seems as though they think they can get more money if they put one of their own shows up to the spotlight. If you haven't noticed, SG-1, SGA, and BSG are not and will not be promoted nearly as much as Eureka has been and will be promoted. They just want their show to be in the spotlight. Which show do you think will fill the SG-1 time slot? It won't be SGA or BSG. It will either be Eureka, Doctor Who, or ECw, three shows that in reality aren't nearly as good.
                              I agree, but even Doctor Who wont get alot of attention anymore.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Working...
                              X