This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scifi Bullying MGM!

But such a move may be out of the question, if SCI FI Channel has anything to say about it. "There is not going to be [an 11th season] on U.S. television," Stern told Multichannel flatly. "Our contract with MGM prohibits it."
    first gotta say, the Article never said who Stern was...

secondly... Why is this network telling MGM what it can and cannot do? Why did MGM get sucked into a blackhole of idiotic contracts? Obviously... Scifi is cheap and is scared that if SG1 were to goto another network they would lose atlantis and go back to the F-Rate Network they once were.

Thirdly...
    "It's done a great job, rejuvenated with the additions of Ben [Browder], Claudia [Black] and Beau [Bridges], but we think we've come to the end of those stories," Stern said. "We really felt like it was the right time to segue out, for the show not to overstay its welcome."
    Basically says We rejuvinated the the show so we could cut it off as soon as it got good... but thtas a diffrent thing..

Anyway...
    Who feels Scifi will try to bully MGM from continuing Stargate on a diffrent network?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Mark Stern is SCI FI Channels Executive Vice President

Comment

if true MGM knew it when they signed the contract, MGM is just as much to blame. Why agree to no other US distribution with a network that would not agree to more than 1 year at a time?

and how long do they have to wait before the can go to other networks?

Comment

Originally posted by mindwarped
        if true MGM knew it when they signed the contract, MGM is just as much to blame. Why agree to no other US distribution with a network that would not agree to more than 1 year at a time?

and how long do they have to wait before the can go to other networks?
        They've been saying since the beginning that they're trying to find other outlets/networks for the show, so there's probably more to it than has been revealed.

Comment

Originally posted by mindwarped
          if true MGM knew it when they signed the contract, MGM is just as much to blame.
          THANK YOU.

Why's everyone jumping to the conclusion that SCI FI is all evil? MGM messed up just as much as SCI FI. I blame both for messing up SG-1.

<.< *sigh*... and here I am, a Canadian, talking about US networks.
          sigpic
          Past | LJ | Last.FM | IG

Comment

Its all money folks... the important stuff takes place behind doors. You folks look for conspirancy everywhere but its all just business.

If mgm is stateing it would like to find another network than they probably feel they can negotiate a change to the contract.

If the scifi channel really is not interested in sg1 anymore (that could be a money ploy too?) than I see mgm perhaps negotiating with them some kind of deal. MGM would have to give on something they want.

Its all business, and I think some people take tv shows a little too seriously, 10 years is a long time for any show. The conventional logic was that after too long a run a show became to expensive for syndication, this was the reasoning behind all star trek series going for no more than 7 years.

But syndication and distribution are changing now, so anything is on the table.

We all just need to take a "stress pill" and see were this all goes. I wouldn't expect to see this resolved for a little while.

Comment

Clearly, this whole thing is all about money. NBC and NBC Uni have been having serious finacial problems. SciFi and it's parent companies are just trying to use MGM to help fix NBC's poor performance and the resulting financial problems. The clause in the contract that prevents the show from being sent to another network is a normal thing. But it is usually never a problem like this and shows move around easily, normally. The fact that SciFi is basically holding SG-1 as a hostage is a pretty horrible thing to do. They don't want the show, yet they don't want anyone else to have it either. The people at the SciFi channel and Mark Stern in particular are a bunch of Ba****ds. Far as I am concerned, I'm done with the SciFi channel for good. And, given the amount of trouble the SciFi channel has given MGM, I think it's pretty safe to say that SGA won't be on there much longer either. If MGM were smart, they'll pull everything from that network and find someone better to work with. SciFi is only shooting themselves in the foot, who is gonna want to work with them if SciFi is gonna be pricks like this all the time? The people at the SciFi channel need to be kicked in the jibblets. I mean, this is just barely a hair short of extortion on the SciFi's part.
              If I were MGM, I'd pay for an 11th season out of my own pocket now, just don't release it to anyone. Then, once the contract time is up, you are ready to go. No matter what, I think SG-1 is dead on the SciFi channel.
              Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
              Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

they r very evil people!!!! either MGM gives it to them for less or they cut it how mean is that? pure evil i say!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Freekzilla
                  If MGM were smart, they'll pull everything from that network and find someone better to work with.
                  This is what I am hoping for. As much as I love Atlantis, I can't see it standing on it's own for very long.

I really enjoy the connection between the two shows.

MGM needs to fins another way to air SG-1 or Stargate Command along with SGA.

Comment

Maybe you've been watching to much stargate or is it to much CNN.

Those clauses in the contract are pretty normal from what I here.. And always open to negotiating.

By making such an issue of it , I think SCIFI is sending mgm a clear message.

Lets talk money.

Sorry folks , no evil empire involved here. Just plainn old politics.

Comment

Scifi canceled Stargate not MGM... Scifi is more to blame.

no body claimed evil empire.

matter of money? SG1 is the reason they made money, and they continue to make money off SG1. They made more than enough money to keep running SG-1, they just want more.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by JONeill97
                        Why's everyone jumping to the conclusion that SCI FI is all evil?
                        Can't speak for everyone else. But *I* remember Farscape so I'm going to keep blaming them, and while I'm at it, they caused that danged thunderstorm that took out my power last week.

Frak! --Apollo
                        Frak you. --Cain
                        FRAK Me! --Kat
                        frakwit! --Tyrol
                        B*tch took my ride. --Starbuck

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic
                          Scifi canceled Stargate not MGM... Scifi is more to blame.

no body claimed evil empire.
                          Sci-Fi Channel? An EMPIRE? BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, couldn't resist
                          Frak! --Apollo
                          Frak you. --Cain
                          FRAK Me! --Kat
                          frakwit! --Tyrol
                          B*tch took my ride. --Starbuck

Comment

Originally posted by takinspace
                            Can't speak for everyone else. But *I* remember Farscape so I'm going to keep blaming them, and while I'm at it, they caused that danged thunderstorm that took out my power last week.

Farscape was cancelled before it's time.

Comment

hmmm after reading the article... the following in particular

But such a move may be out of the question, if SCI FI Channel has anything to say about it. "There is not going to be [an 11th season] on U.S. television," Mark Stern, SCI FI's executive vice president of programming, told Multichannel flatly. "Our contract with MGM prohibits it."

could they not just rename the series to stargate command and have it as a season one? that way its not an 11th season and its not sg1 so wouldnt that be enough for them to escape that small clause?

Comment

Working...
                              X