PDA

View Full Version : Common Ground (307)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Crichiel
January 21st, 2008, 09:11 PM
One of my absolute favourite SGA episodes! Mmmm....Sheppard whumping. Brings out all my lurking girliness! I just want to hug him! Ok, putting aside my XX chromosomes...wait, one more look at that handsome handsome man....ok, I'm done::)

Seriously, I thought this episode had so much to offer. The return of Kolya, the whole idea of using a Wraith as torture, seeing another side to the Wraith (although Michael is still the best one for that). John's typical humour in the face of death. The fight scene during the breakout. Lots of good material. But what I also think Common Ground showed was a great sense of 'teamness' that I often find lacking in SGA as opposed to SG-1.

I know that seems odd considering most of the time John was separated from this team, but the way everyone else in Atlantis worked together to get him back was nice to see. Also the concern they each showed. I liked Elizabeth's backbone here. She was black and white for a change by basically saying "No. There ARE some things that are not acceptable, I not worried about addressing culture differences". And Ronon's quick little frustrated scream was so poignant. Probably the best and truest reaction of anyone.

No question this is a 10/10 episode for me!

chevron3
February 16th, 2008, 08:47 AM
what a great episode! probably my fav ep. it was interesting learning more about the wraith.

Theimmortaljedi
May 14th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I really liked it. IF anyone still reads these older posts will we see this touched about again? DOn't give me to much on spoilers but will this be touched on in a future ep? Enemies become alies and say they will be enimies again. awesome!!

naamiaiset
May 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM
well that's hard to answer without spoilers... but some episodes in S5 involving todd might be along those lines.

GoSpikey
May 15th, 2008, 12:35 PM
*Glomps her most fav ep*

:P :P :P

::Lisa::
May 22nd, 2008, 10:15 AM
what a great episode! probably my fav ep. it was interesting learning more about the wraith.
I agree. I really, REALLY enjoyed this episode. I love everything about it. The storyline, the Wraith and learning more about them, everything!

I think this is my fave epi. I can never remember them all to choose :o

Flying_Dutch_Girl
May 28th, 2008, 10:05 PM
This was the first SGA episode I ever saw, seeing as Stargate is not on TV much in NZ,
and I LOVED it! Common Ground got me hooked onto SGA, and I've been obsessed with Stargate ever since. Common Ground had a great story line, good action and some Shep whumping, yay :) cos we all love that.

LiquidSky
May 30th, 2008, 12:00 AM
This is the best episode in season 3. It gave us another insight on the Wraith. That they are not 'life sucking monsters', I never like that term. This episode introduced us to Todd. And Todd was never a monster. Anyways excellent episode.

LS

GoSpikey
May 30th, 2008, 04:16 AM
It's the best ep ever! ;)

SheppAddictedFangirl
May 31st, 2008, 04:05 AM
this is the ep that gave me goosebumps

more into detail, cause it might contain

(cause I´m a whumper, I enjoyed it) then I was shocked/worried (cause it looked serious!).... then I wanted the Wraith to get outta there too, strangely I felt sorry for him, and then he redeemed himself .... and then I was a bit "aw common, you guys should be friends!" :lol: First Wraith I actually ended up liking. :o

Great ep indeed! Love it, I think this is the one ep in season 3 that I´ve watched the most so far. Joe and Chris were fantastic in it, and it had great team angst, I loved Ronons reaction, could feel the turmoil Weir was going through for her part in it, and McKay going into some "it´s what Sheppard would say" rant, you could see he truly cared about his friend! ....

10/10 for this excellent episode! :D

Teddybrown
June 13th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Thought this episode was really good
Glad to see both Sheppard and the Wraith escape

Hope to see more of the wraith again soon
Todd is his name
:lol:
See more of him in Seasons 4 and 5

Kezia
June 18th, 2008, 10:22 AM
We need more Cuperus eps :D

mrscopterdoc
June 18th, 2008, 10:27 AM
love Todd! and Ronon. so the two of them together........

naamiaiset
June 18th, 2008, 02:09 PM
love Todd! and Ronon. so the two of them together........
*agreed* :D

todd and ronon only have a few seconds together in this episode. :p

GoSpikey
June 18th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Ken Cuperus apparently came on GW a while ago, and said that his episodes got rewritten a lot, so he can't really claim the total brilliance of the ep, I think he meant.

But yes, Common Ground and Submersion were fantastic.

TBA
June 20th, 2008, 08:43 AM
This was a fantastic episode indeed. Todd + Genii = awesome.

Wraith~Girl
June 22nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Anything with Todd is bound to be good! This was the bomb! Wraith, Genii, angry Ronon, Shep whump--what's not to love?

Orion25
October 2nd, 2008, 06:59 AM
At first watch, I was too worried beacause Sheppard won't be coming back and I was thinking how could Beckett reverse the aging effect if there was even a slim chance Sheppard survived the partial feeding sessions. The episode gripped me and I was astonished to learn more about the Wraiths. I didn't see this how this Wraith would be able to undo what he had done to Sheppard. The implications of this action in the future. This was the best episode of the season and I know there were several more. I liked when the writers add information in episodes about the Wraiths, the main characters or about the Ancients etc because I think it enriches the stories.

It was upsetting to see Kolya back as such a thorn in Sheppard's side after executing a trap for him just so he can get Landin (sp?). Having the Genii in the episode adds more suspense in the mix. Kolya seemed to have lowered his goals now and all he wants is to terminate Sheppard. Great ep!

Butlersgate
March 7th, 2009, 05:21 AM
sheppard's strong for an old guy in this episode haha

the arrival of todd :D

Threshie
March 29th, 2009, 09:34 AM
"Common Ground" is a fantastic episode, one of my all-time favorites of any SGA season. :D It manages to weave new info about the Wraith into the plot flawlessly...plus introduce a very intriguing new character in the form of Todd.

~Threshie <3

Elsa_the_Wraith
April 8th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Hehe... My first episode of SGA))
And the only one episode where I'm able not to feel enmity for Todd...

major davis
April 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM
This was an amazing episode, and it intorduced our fav wraith, TODD

major davis
May 15th, 2009, 01:55 PM
9/10

escyos
June 5th, 2009, 01:27 AM
i thought the voice sounded familiar when i heard it, it was Halling!

WraithQueenH
August 27th, 2009, 07:57 PM
As far as I am concerned this was the best episode that was done arguably in the whole series. Besides introducing my favorite character (later dubbed Todd), this is where I started to realize that the wraith must be interesting. Before this, I already felt that Sheppard and the gang was handling everything wrong (Why do we always thinks we know - "we" as in the USA - knows what's best for everyone?) but I couldn't see the wraith presented as they were to be "cheer-able". After Common Ground, I was thrilled that we had prove of the Wraith having a culture and proof that even wraith males could be sentient beings without human interferences (I.e. Ella's being "raised" by a human allowed her to adapt his morals and therefore didn't necessarily correctly represent Wraith in a Hive were also intelligent and sentient beings.
Note: Just because I think all Earthlings should know situations prior to interfering and shouldn't make snap military decisions without knowing long-term effects, doesn't mean I was looking to be culled. (Though I do have some people I would have loved to take Sheppard's place in an instant.)

QueenMalka
August 27th, 2009, 08:45 PM
i thought the voice sounded familiar when i heard it, it was Halling!

I didn't catch that till a some time later, I think it was when I was re-watching the first episode after finishing 3 season.. Then I had to go check IMDA.

Trillian52
August 28th, 2009, 01:26 AM
As far as I am concerned this was the best episode that was done arguably in the whole series. Besides introducing my favorite character (later dubbed Todd), this is where I started to realize that the wraith must be interesting.

I agree. Chris H did a great job of developing Todd into the multi-layered character that we all love! :D :D :D

escyos
August 28th, 2009, 01:28 AM
i could imagine a scene between todd and halling...it would be like the scene in family guy between the doctor and lois' father, they have ths same voice
-"peter says we sound the same"
-"really i dont hear it"
-"you know i do kind of hear it, we've never had an extended conversation"

WraithQueenH
October 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
i could imagine a scene between todd and halling...it would be like the scene in family guy between the doctor and lois' father, they have ths same voice
-"peter says we sound the same"
-"really i dont hear it"
-"you know i do kind of hear it, we've never had an extended conversation"

Halling would love that I'm sure.
LOL.. it's a shame.. that could have been a really intriguing scene: Worse news then Teyla finding out she had wraith DNA.. "Halling, I am your great, great, great wraith uncle..." lol.

Dr. Selene Ankarres
October 21st, 2009, 11:38 AM
i think it was a great way to introduce todd. but i really want to know how todd came to be captured by the genni

WraithQueenH
October 28th, 2009, 07:53 PM
i think it was a great way to introduce todd. but i really want to know how todd came to be captured by the genni

We all do.. I'd also like to know is age.. over 10,000 years just doesn't cut it for me. Hmm... that reminds me, I'm gonna post this question in the wraith thread..

Trillian52
October 30th, 2009, 01:32 AM

Indeed, there's much about Todd we do not know - which makes him so interesting for fanfic writers to play with! :P :P ;)

Dr. Selene Ankarres
November 1st, 2009, 10:05 AM
another question. when todd and sheppard broke out, like just from the cells ect. attacked the guards ect. and todd feeds on one of them...what is he actually saying ? something like "I'm ......."

then i don't know....... anyone care to answer ?

Supreme Commander Sil
November 1st, 2009, 10:52 AM
hungry :D! I don't know ... Maybe I should watch it again:P... but I'm busy with SG1 ;)!
One thing to say: Toddles http://forum.gateworld.net/picture.php?pictureid=15444&albumid=1420&dl=1242480969&thumb=1
It was good,because this is when they started adding more depth to the wraith :)... I mean, after Steve :(....

(OoooOoh, conversations between Thor and Daniel are also funny ;)... at least I'm fairly sure it was Michael Shanks :rolleyes:...)

WraithQueenH
November 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM
hungry :D! I don't know ... Maybe I should watch it again:P... but I'm busy with SG1 ;)!
One thing to say: Toddles http://forum.gateworld.net/picture.php?pictureid=15444&albumid=1420&dl=1242480969&thumb=1
It was good,because this is when they started adding more depth to the wraith :)... I mean, after Steve :(....

(OoooOoh, conversations between Thor and Daniel are also funny ;)... at least I'm fairly sure it was Michael Shanks :rolleyes:...)

Thor and Daniel are Michael Shanks...well Thor's voice is at least

AresLover452
November 6th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I was actually watching this eppy at work and I was like Todd's hair looks so messy. But he makes it look good!!

WraithQueenH
November 9th, 2009, 10:01 PM
He's too sexy to comb his hair. And you know, having his hands tied didn't help either.

AresLover452
November 9th, 2009, 10:15 PM
No, I would say that would not aide to the grooming of the hair, but the messier the better, sooo Hawt!!

luzestelar
December 16th, 2009, 05:02 AM
It is an amazing episode, introducing a very intriguing character. Aside from the fact that wraith feed on humans they are almost exactly the same as we are.

gateship15
December 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM
i like this episode and i agree that other then feeding on us wraith are like us

Sp!der
December 23rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
i like this episode veeeeeeery much maybe because i think the character of kolya and todd are really awesome!!!! and its much better than the previous episode "the real world"... common ground is one of the best of season three along with progeny and sateda. nuff said.

ktebid
March 10th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I loved this episode. I thought Sheppard and Todd had a fantastic relationship and I loved seeing this develop. I think Kolya is a wonderful adversary for Sheppard.

asdf1239
March 31st, 2010, 07:02 AM
i wonder - if todd's fellow wraith had come to rescue them instead of atlantis, would todd have let sheppard go the way the team let todd go?

albatross
March 31st, 2010, 03:29 PM
i wonder - if todd's fellow wraith had come to rescue them instead of atlantis, would todd have let sheppard go the way the team let todd go?

Hmm, probably not... Todd may have protested, but I'm not sure he'd be able to stop his chums eating Shep (although I guess he could revive him again afterwards in secret) - still, it's good to keep in mind the old 'this is what makes us different from the wraith' adage. Especially as the 'wraith are evil because they eat people' adage is seriously complicated in this episode. Moral high ground and all that jazz.

asdf1239
March 31st, 2010, 08:45 PM
the wraith arent inherently evil though, just pissed at being woken up with a food shortage which would explain a lot of their apparent evilness behavior

albatross
April 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM
the wraith arent inherently evil though, just pissed at being woken up with a food shortage which would explain a lot of their apparent evilness behavior

Well that's the point of this episode, isn't it? Todd explains to Shep in the jail cell that he can't help being hungry for manflesh, and that his hunger is a cause for his suffering as well as that of others. My point was that prior to this ep the wraith were often depicted as just being evil, but this ep calls all that into question. Which means we need to think of another reason for them to be 'bad guys'. And that reason is we take the moral high ground more than they do - hence Shep letting Todd go free at the end.

asdf1239
April 8th, 2010, 06:04 PM
wtf they couldnt have kept him there for "many years" since the wraith had woken up only three years prior...

Dr. Selene Ankarres
April 24th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I wonder how Todd was captured in the first place. he doesn't seem like the type to be so easily captured. But overall i loved the episode !!! Todd no. 1 !!!

Trillian52
April 30th, 2010, 02:47 AM
wtf they couldnt have kept him there for "many years" since the wraith had woken up only three years prior...

It would've been possible if he'd been captured before the Wraith went into hibernation...

I wonder how Todd was captured in the first place. he doesn't seem like the type to be so easily captured. But overall i loved the episode !!! Todd no. 1 !!!

An interesting little puzzle ... I like to think he put up a good fight but was overcome by sheer numbers although he does say something along the lines of allowing himself to be captured alive which indicates perhaps he'd been knocked unconscious?:(

mercy moon
April 30th, 2010, 09:11 AM

i agree, but poor todd has been the prisioner of not only the genii but the lanteans several times (inc voluntarily on one occasion) and even the wraith!! i'm beginning to think he has some kind of fetish!! :D

Trillian52
May 1st, 2010, 12:06 AM
i agree, but poor todd has been the prisioner of not only the genii but the lanteans several times (inc voluntarily on one occasion) and even the wraith!! i'm beginning to think he has some kind of fetish!! :D

I think in both cases being captured again was an unintended consequence of playing for high stakes.
He was only captured by Sheppard and co once & I think it was a calculated risk on Todd's behalf - he needed help to deal with the replicators - he must have known there was a risk after Sheppard's declaration that all bets would be off if they met again. As for the Wraith - he wanted to create an army to subdue all other Wraith and was double-crossed - playing to win the whole game, as he was, always carries risk!

mercy moon
May 1st, 2010, 04:18 AM
yes, like you say todd is a high stakes player - he was probably doing some kind of deal with the genii and was double crossed ... he was captive at atlantis over the replicator thing ('the seer' etc), also shepp and co. have had him behind bars on his own ship ('infection') and of course in 'enemy at the gate' he put himself in their hands (bet he wouldn't have if he'd known about the grey jumpsuit in advance) ... wish i had shepp's magnetism and todd was my prisioner ... oh well, i'll be his! :)

i'm not counting 'vegas' 'cos that was alternative todd ... equally delicious, but not quite our commander!

Freawaru
May 11th, 2010, 11:33 PM

I have been speculating that Todd was the pilot of that Wraith dart the Genii had shot down "many generations ago" as stated in "Underground" (season one). But even then the question remains: what did he want on that planet so that the Genii had a chance to capture him? And why didn't his Hive rescue him?

Elorendil
July 20th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I loved this episode! It was great to get at least a little insight into the Wraith and not just have them portrayed as cruel murderers. Seeing Sheppard work with Todd and how they both held up their side of the bargain was cool. It was very interesting to find out that the Wraith can give life as well as take it. This is probably one of my favorite episodes so far.

mrscopterdoc
September 3rd, 2010, 08:06 PM
I loved this episode! It was great to get at least a little insight into the Wraith and not just have them portrayed as cruel murderers. Seeing Sheppard work with Todd and how they both held up their side of the bargain was cool. It was very interesting to find out that the Wraith can give life as well as take it. This is probably one of my favorite episodes so far.

I agree

maneth
January 16th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Cool ep, Kolya always gives good value. I must admit that Todd giving life to Sheppard didn't come as too much of a surprise once we saw him in the old man's makeup. Still, a different side to the Wraith, which is cool since they've been shown as rather one-dimensional so far.

Skie
March 12th, 2011, 01:05 AM
A bit an old post, but perhabs someone still reads it. :)

I have been speculating that Todd was the pilot of that Wraith dart the Genii had shot down "many generations ago" as stated in "Underground" (season one). But even then the question remains: what did he want on that planet so that the Genii had a chance to capture him? And why didn't his Hive rescue him?

I just can't imagine having a wraith passed down for generations. Think of the moral conflict, you need to feed him. And I doubt they would carelessly feed him other Genii. I mean they need each other and it would wake great suspicion if people started to disappear regularly not to mention that some would disagree with this method. I think it is more likely that he was awake together with a keeper and Koyla captured him probably together with Cowen. I mean these guys are just ruthless.

Do wraiths have keener senses than humans? Think of it when Todd awakes because of the Genii coming nearer, I mean Shep didn't wake up. And I don't think it's because he is older, Todd was weak too through his wounds.

If Shep says "All bets are off" couldn't you understand it in two ways? Either "Everything is possible, so enemy or friend alike", or "We owe each other nothing, so enemies again"? But probably the second one as Todd says "then lets hope we don't met again". But why is Shep so negative, I mean it was his idea.

EdenSG
March 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM
A bit an old post, but perhabs someone still reads it. :)

I just can't imagine having a wraith passed down for generations. Think of the moral conflict, you need to feed him. And I doubt they would carelessly feed him other Genii. I mean they need each other and it would wake great suspicion if people started to disappear regularly not to mention that some would disagree with this method. I think it is more likely that he was awake together with a keeper and Koyla captured him probably together with Cowen. I mean these guys are just ruthless.

Do wraiths have keener senses than humans? Think of it when Todd awakes because of the Genii coming nearer, I mean Shep didn't wake up. And I don't think it's because he is older, Todd was weak too through his wounds.

If Shep says "All bets are off" couldn't you understand it in two ways? Either "Everything is possible, so enemy or friend alike", or "We owe each other nothing, so enemies again"? But probably the second one as Todd says "then lets hope we don't met again". But why is Shep so negative, I mean it was his idea.

Hi - actually I just rewatched CG the other day in syndication.

Actually I can see the Genii - or at least certain factions of the Genii - keeping a Wraith for generations. As to feeding - I think they fed him humans they needed information from. What greater form of torture is there for extracting desired information? You don't actually have to kill the person, just let the Wraith feed long enough to stay alive and for you to get your info.
I have no doubt the Genii are capable of such things as they were willing to sacrifice half their population for a vaccine against Wraith feeding.

As to "all bets are off," I took that to mean all options are on the table.

Skie
March 14th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Actually I can see the Genii - or at least certain factions of the Genii - keeping a Wraith for generations. As to feeding - I think they fed him humans they needed information from. What greater form of torture is there for extracting desired information? You don't actually have to kill the person, just let the Wraith feed long enough to stay alive and for you to get your info.

I'm not saying that some Genii weren't capable off but we have also seen others who care. You just can't take people (Genii and other worlds) for hundreds of years and no one gets suspicious. It's bound to attract attention for such a long time. But I can imagine that for 20 years or so. Another proof would be Todds clothes. If he would be really imprisoned for generations, I doubt his clothes would look like this. And it's not like the Genii have spare wraith clothes. :)

I have no doubt the Genii are capable of such things as they were willing to sacrifice half their population for a vaccine against Wraith feeding.

That were the Hoffans not the Genii.

Why then would the wraith say "then let's hope we do not meet again"? That does sound more like we will be enemies if we meet again.

But what I found disturbing is the character of Ronon. He heard that Todd gave Sheppard back his life, heard about the deal and the wraiths reply but still he was more then glad to offer Sheppards his weapon to kill the wraith. When Shepp aimes at the wraith he just has this satisfactory smile on his face and when he realizes that Shepp hasn't killed the wraith, he gets really disappointed. Don't know about you but I would never want to make a deal with this person, can't be trusted at all and has no moral. Never take him for peace negotation along.

WraithRichard
May 16th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hmm, probably not... Todd may have protested, but I'm not sure he'd be able to stop his chums eating Shep (although I guess he could revive him again afterwards in secret) - still, it's good to keep in mind the old 'this is what makes us different from the wraith' adage. Especially as the 'wraith are evil because they eat people' adage is seriously complicated in this episode. Moral high ground and all that jazz.

There is the fact that Todd said he didn't really trust Sheppard to keep his end of the bargain, even after he restored him to his full youth. He was expecting to have a fully capable human to kill him when he was the one responsible for making the human fully capable again.

Either the difference is nihilism, or Todd has bouts of losing all common sense now and then.

Compare John's words about Todd being better off dead than imprison and compare it to the very last scene we ever get with Todd. It looks like John giving Todd hope and trust ultimately screws him over and shows a pretty nasty side of the aspect of humanity John showed him in the first place.

I have a question about Todd's wound. The point was that he was slowly dying form a wound that looks like its around the kidney/appendix/liver. Just before that (Couldn't be more than an hour), he'd fed on a guard and was shot several times in the back and was fine. Later, after feeding on John, he's shot even more times in the chest and those don't even slow him down.

Why was the wound on the side so much worse? Is it harder to heal from what would put a human into septic shock?

mrscopterdoc
June 7th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Hi - actually I just rewatched CG the other day in syndication.

that is a good idea, keeping a wraith around to tourture your hostages!

WraithRichard
June 7th, 2011, 04:02 PM
that is a good idea, keeping a wraith around to tourture your hostages!

Especially when a cattle prod can be used to retrieve them, no matter how hungry the wraith is.

Apparently electricity is the universal language.

mrscopterdoc
June 7th, 2011, 04:04 PM
:lol: that is so wrong, and yet so funny

garhkal
June 8th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Makes me wonder how long a wraith can go without food..

Skie
June 11th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Makes me wonder how long a wraith can go without food..

According to INSTINCT several months: "It feeds three, four times a year, takes two or three people each time." But Steve and Todd got very hungry after some weeks. A bit inconsistent.

WraithRichard
June 11th, 2011, 10:32 AM
According to INSTINCT several months: "It feeds three, four times a year, takes two or three people each time." But Steve and Todd got very hungry after some weeks. A bit inconsistent.

Well, Todd in Vegas was supposedly starving to the point of bad poetry... I mean insanity...or something. Steve seems to have a low pain threshold (he gave up after a few weeks and I bet it was because he missed his hairbrush), and Todd was expending a lot of energy. The one in Instinct was probably doing nothing at all for months at a time.

Although I did wonder if Todd in Vegas was putting on an act for a long time.

Skie
June 11th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Steve seems to have a low pain threshold (he gave up after a few weeks and I bet it was because he missed his hairbrush), and Todd was expending a lot of energy. The one in Instinct was probably doing nothing at all for months at a time.

But if you think about the events in THE SEER and MC Todd didn't do a lot either. He refused to work with McKay after his hive ship got destroyed. And he worked only about 10h on the earth nanites before he collapsed, so for me he didn't spend a lot of energy either. TPTB probably just needed some suspense and that's why Todd suddenly got so weak.

WraithRichard
June 11th, 2011, 10:21 PM
But if you think about the events in THE SEER and MC Todd didn't do a lot either. He refused to work with McKay after his hive ship got destroyed. And he worked only about 10h on the earth nanites before he collapsed, so for me he didn't spend a lot of energy either. TPTB probably just needed some suspense and that's why Todd suddenly got so weak.

Actually, he did do a lot. Working on the nanites was a lot of effort both physically and mentally. He also went though a lot before e agreed to be in their brig (tactical planning, piloting, having a subspace tracker surgically implanted).

WraithCommander
June 11th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Todd is quite the wraith :)

Skie
June 12th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Actually, he did do a lot. Working on the nanites was a lot of effort both physically and mentally. He also went though a lot before e agreed to be in their brig (tactical planning, piloting, having a subspace tracker surgically implanted).

Yeah, but as he planned for the eventuality of getting caught (subspace tracking device) he must have surely planned for boosting his energy levels, meaning feeding before going off to their "meeting". Anything else wouldn't make sense. So we have a fully fed wraith who arrives as prisoner in Atlantis. Taking into account the events of INSTINCT or Steve, it doesn't make sense that he collapses only after several weeks without feeding.

WraithRichard
June 12th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Yeah, but as he planned for the eventuality of getting caught (subspace tracking device) he must have surely planned for boosting his energy levels, meaning feeding before going off to their "meeting". Anything else wouldn't make sense. So we have a fully fed wraith who arrives as prisoner in Atlantis. Taking into account the events of INSTINCT or Steve, it doesn't make sense that he collapses only after several weeks without feeding.

Maybe he's hypoglycemic like Rodney?

Damnit, we need a calendar in the background in these episodes.

mrscopterdoc
June 13th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Todd is quite the wraith :)

oh yes he is ;)

Skie
June 14th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Maybe he's hypoglycemic like Rodney?

:p That is where his hand twitching comes from, when he is together with Rodney. They can feel each other's hypoglycemic state. :D

Damnit, we need a calendar in the background in these episodes.

Yes, we would need it for quite a few episodes. Always with those "several weeks", it's such an elastic term, how convenient.

WraithRichard
June 14th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I thought the twitching was him picking up bad habits from humans, like fidgeting.

Skie
June 15th, 2011, 09:52 AM
i thought the twitching was him picking up bad habits from humans, like fidgeting.

:p
Well there are worse bad habits than this.

garhkal
June 15th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I'd love to see a wraith smoking on a stogie!

Lunaeclipse
January 10th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I always enjoy episodes like this. Reminds me of 'Enemy Mine'(movie) for a minute, then I was caught by the interaction and story on it's own....

SamanthaJenniferChloe
April 26th, 2012, 03:53 AM
Hello! :cool:

I can say that after this episode I truly despise Acastus Kolya. I am looking forward to him being taken out completely.

I thought that the interaction between John and the Wraith was very interesting. I liked how the two prisoners teamed up to escape.

I was taken by how the Wraith came off as more humane than Kolya who is human. I liked how the Wraith gave John back his years.

I was glad that John and the Wraith got away. I wonder if we see that Wraith again.

garhkal
April 26th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I think this ep was the turning point for how many viewed the wraith..

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 9th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Awesome ep, good to see Kolya back. Damn did Shep look old. Next weeks ep looks pretty freaking awesome.
Yeah, now we got a Wraith on our side now, at least I think we do ;).

Tomorrow, McKay's hot sister.

Krisz
August 9th, 2012, 07:34 PM
One of the best episodes of SGA so far for me. I really like the 'Enemy Mine' style of stories where two enemies are brought together in a life threatening situation where they have to co-operate to get out of it. Add a bit of getting to know one another, get some element of understanding and respect for the others' qualities you get a great episode like this one.

Koyla sinks to even more evil depths as he has the ingenious idea of using a Wraith to torture his victims. Great twist at the end where the Wraith takes Sheppard's life in an apparent about face on their arrangement, but it was to get enough strength to kill Koyla's men by feeding on them. Then the great moment where he gives Sheppard his life back. Certainly an interesting aspect to the Wraith who we learn don't regard humans as just food.

Lythisrose
August 9th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joe Mallozzi's Blog entry:
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/august-8-2012-conversations-with-akemi-days-of-stargate-atlantis-past-common-ground-that-live-qa-mailbag/

COMMON GROUND (307)

Landing a staff position on an established series is a tough proposition. Sometimes, it has less to do with talent and more to do with a writer’s ability/inability to “get” the show. And it’s even made all that much more difficult if it’s a long-running series laden with backstory and mythology. But it has been done. On Stargate, all that was needed was the proper calling card (in the form of a strong spec script that opened the door to a pitching opportunity) and proof (in the form of a great pitch followed by an equally great script). Damian did it with The Other Guys. Carl did it with Before I Sleep. And Ken Cuperus did it with Common Ground.

Of course, the truth is, no freelancer comes into a show cold and writes a perfect script. Ken came up with a fantastic idea that, like most every other script on the show, was spun and broken by the writing department. Then, it was up to Ken to deliver a solid outline and first draft (which he did, earning himself that staff position) at which point Brad – the episode’s producer – did his pass on the script. The result? A fan favorite that introduces the villainous (though no less charming) Todd and his on-again-off-again uneasy alliance with Sheppard. It also explores the fascinating idea of reverse-feeding that will prove fodder for future stories like Reunion and Broken Ties.

Todd’s facial tattoo look familiar? Well it should if you’re a fan of Kiss. The tattoo was inspired by the similar make-up design sported by band member Ace Frehley who, we learned, was a big fan of the show.

Lieutenant Sparrow
August 10th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Pretty good ep.

Always good to see Kolya again. Love to hate him. Although I don't think he was in it enough.

Yay Todd! I was looking forward to seeing him. But I think it's his fault the Wraith aren't scary any more.

We now know that the Wraith can give life as well as take it.

Matt G
August 17th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Midweek...TV working again...another ep of Atlantis...

1. First appearance of Todd..though I had forgotten that we didn't actually know him as Todd yet...

2. Oh...this was the one with Rodney and the mouse...

3. And the two guys get completely lost...

4. The giving back life thing still seems cheesy.

Still a solid ep though.

jelgate
August 17th, 2012, 07:32 PM
After this episode the Genii became a joke. They had no purpose in the context of Atlantis. I thought it was funny seeing Kolya using a harpoon to trap Shephed. Overall this is a good episode. I have always liked the ambiguraty you got with Todd. You never really know what he is going to do. That is what makes this episode so good. It seems so strange and weird to form a truce with a Wraith that it was interesting to see them outwit Kolya and his Genii forces. The "Gift of Life" seems like a deus ex machina to me. The writers had John suffer a partial feeding from Todd and the only solution was to use some kind of deus ex machina. Not to mention it was always used poorly in subsquent episodes as a quick fix when the Atlantis team got into trouble.

garhkal
August 26th, 2012, 01:46 PM
4. The giving back life thing still seems cheesy.

Still a solid ep though.

Perhaps its not 'giving life back' but more "regurgitating" what has been ate..

jelgate
August 26th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Perhaps its not 'giving life back' but more "regurgitating" what has been ate..

If that was the case Ronon wouldn't have been brought back to life in EATG

Jae'a
August 31st, 2012, 12:23 PM
My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/69199.html)
Wow, so this is the infamous Todd, huh? Great ep.

Matt G
September 1st, 2012, 04:46 AM
Yep that's Todd though he doesn't get his name till S4

Jae'a
September 1st, 2012, 05:51 AM
Yep that's Todd though he doesn't get his name till S4
Ah, check. Let me guess - Sheppard names him, right? :P

Az'ryel
November 26th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Yes, it was a great episode, I do not want to say it's the best, because I did not yet watch all of SGA
But the Wraith and Sheppard thing was a great idea, it shows more sides of the Wrath as we knew until then I guess.
Very well done

Cluas
February 18th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Wow ...

Old Shep looked a lot like Harrison Ford.

Nice to see more of the Genii

:teyla25:

garhkal
February 19th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I always wondered.. HOW did the Genii capture 'todd'?

Cluas
February 19th, 2013, 11:40 PM
I always wondered.. HOW did the Genii capture 'todd'?

Hi Garhkal, yes good question...

"I merely allowed myself to be captured alive." was all Todd said.

And he had been imprisoned for "many" years. That's all we know.

I'm wondering.... Will "Todd" ever be back?

:wraith34:

garhkal
February 20th, 2013, 02:56 PM
He returns many a time..
Though i also wonder... IF that is the case that he allowed himself to be captured.. why???

The Flyattractor
February 20th, 2013, 05:19 PM
he didn't have the guts to push his self destruct button?

j7n
April 9th, 2014, 01:22 AM
Some spoilers in this thread. I've not yet seen "Todd"....

It is easy to prevent a Wraith from reaching the self-destruct in time, as the Humans have done on a few occasions, by stunning the wraith or severely wounding him.

This episode was one of those that greatly expanded the Stargate universe. We can see the Genii, Kolya's group, Atlantis, and the Wraith, all functioning at the same time and each towards their own goals, instead of simply working for or fighting against the main characters.

However, the Wraith took all the bullets while none hit Sheppard. That was a blatant exceptionalism of his role. When I saw that, I immediately knew that he wouldn't die, or be severely harmed in any way, even if I still had any doubts before that.

It would be awesome if the Atlantis expedition could come up with some Elixir of Life for increasing the Human lifespan as a result from this experience with the Wraith. Now, that would be a major breathrough. That and an inexhaustible power source. But I would like immortality (good health) first, to have time to work other discoveries. And we could establish that there is no god. We never kinda did that, despite getting rid of the goa'uld.

garhkal
April 9th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Being with what happened to Ford after taking that elixer, same as others, i doubt they would try back engineering it.

mrscopterdoc
August 20th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Joe Mallozzi's Blog entry:
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/august-8-2012-conversations-with-akemi-days-of-stargate-atlantis-past-common-ground-that-live-qa-mailbag/

COMMON GROUND (307)

Todd’s facial tattoo look familiar? Well it should if you’re a fan of Kiss. The tattoo was inspired by the similar make-up design sported by band member Ace Frehley who, we learned, was a big fan of the show.
I never knew that! That is cool :)

Night Maiden
September 17th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I watch this one a lot.

HogWldFLTR
November 17th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Watched this for the first time; loved the character development on the Wraith. Reminds me a lot of Cowboys and Indians themes.

garhkal
November 17th, 2014, 01:27 PM
I think "todd the wraith" was some of Christopher Heyerdahl's best acting.

min min light
November 17th, 2014, 08:16 PM
I think so too, he managed to make me care more about a Wraith than I did many of the 'good guys.'

iheartshep
November 20th, 2014, 11:31 AM
"John Shhhheppppparrrrddddd" - gotta love Todd.

The Flyattractor
November 20th, 2014, 03:54 PM
My fav little part is when Todd is inspecting the gun and inadvertently points it at John cause his reaction is great.

losernerdfriend
March 25th, 2016, 06:06 PM
First time watching!

THE ENEMY OF MY ENEMY IS MY FRIEND. I really loved this episode. I have to say, it was nice to see Kolya again -- I love to hate him. Also, I was especially pleased with the character development of the Wraith. I thought his and John's interactions were wonderfully done and I like the bond they developed. I'm assuming we'll see him in the future from all the, "if we meet again, all bets are off" hints they kept dropping. Interested to see what happens next. :)

garhkal
March 26th, 2016, 03:25 PM
You are in for a treat much later on!

Davey
September 6th, 2018, 01:56 PM
If the prison area of Kolya did not have any prisoners other than the Wraith, how did the wraith stay alive all the years that the Genii had him imprisoned? Can a Wraith feed on animals? On other Wraiths? What happens to the Wraith and its human victim if a Wraith gave back too much life force?

Platschu
September 6th, 2018, 02:56 PM
I have just rewatched the episode.

Wraith can survive much longer with starving and that is what Todd said. His nickname was not revealed here, but he will be a recurring Wraith buddy of Sheppard.

I don't know what happens if somebody gains back too much life force. Babality? :P

I couldn't understand why was Todd not feeding on EVERY guard in their little prison break. Just because Sheppard shot a few men, they could have been offered freshly to Todd. :wraithanime11: The double-drain scenes was still shocking.

The lake is also a regular shooting location for Atlantis. But this is the same planet what they have used in SG-1 "The Other Guys". Even the stargates were standing at the same place.

And they should definately bring real rocks to the episodes. Those fake ones were pretty bad in the opening scene.

Xaeden
September 6th, 2018, 10:37 PM
If the prison area of Kolya did not have any prisoners other than the Wraith, how did the wraith stay alive all the years that the Genii had him imprisoned? Can a Wraith feed on animals? On other Wraiths? What happens to the Wraith and its human victim if a Wraith gave back too much life force?

They may not have other prisoners there at the time, but they had fed him before:

KOLYA: We've found that a minimum of three hours between feeding sessions is crucial to ensure the body has sufficient time to recover from the trauma. That's the time you have to decide. Three hours.

The Wraith can go months between feedings, with a normal Wraith feeding an average of 3-4 times per year and a Wraith brought to the point of starvation being able to stretch it a little further. Therefore the Genii didn't need to keep prisoners on hand to be fed on; they just needed to find a new one within that several month window. Sheppard was the latest to fill that void.

I don't want to spoil anything for you, but there's another prisoner Wraith storyline coming up in season 4 that will deal with the struggle to keep that Wraith alive.

AleksisMi
September 7th, 2018, 12:43 AM
they are the genii, they are constantly backstabbing people and betraying them it seems, though its debatable, whether they were prepared for subterfuge or planning to betray them all along the first time

Davey
September 7th, 2018, 10:33 AM
I just can't imagine a storyline that doesn't have some Wraith thinking of the need for an alternative to a lifestyle that requires feeding on humans. Surely they could have raised sheep, monkeys, fish, dogs, horses, whatever and used them. Or perhaps even other Wraiths?

Platschu
September 7th, 2018, 02:07 PM
No "vegetarian" Wraith... Or shall we call them "humanitarian"? :P

Xaeden
September 7th, 2018, 05:52 PM
I just can't imagine a storyline that doesn't have some Wraith thinking of the need for an alternative to a lifestyle that requires feeding on humans. Surely they could have raised sheep, monkeys, fish, dogs, horses, whatever and used them. Or perhaps even other Wraiths?

The hybridization process seems to have made them dependent on similar lifeforms (humans or other Wraith) to survive. Obviously if they could feed on some random animal, their solution to their human shortage wouldn't be to sleep for a few hundred years at a time and engage in destructive civil wars when not enough humans are around. A scientific workaround that would allow them to sustain themselves off the life force of another living being would probably require them to radically alter their genetic structure and repeated feeding may alter their genetic structure further.

The iratus bugs, after all, transformed into the Wraith by successively feeding on humans and passing human DNA into their offspring and, although not specifically addressed, it appears that the Wraith are continuing to become ever more human the more they feed on humans. That would explain why when we meet Wraith who are 10,000 years old and have survived by a mix of feeding off other Wraith and hibernation, they're stronger than all known Wraith today save the one who Ronon fought in "Sateda." The older ones could also be outliers, but it seems unlikely that two extraordinarily powerful Wraith just happened to be on two crashed ships. More likely is that there were lots like them at the time.

As to other solutions: They probably did try to come up with some. They have maybe a hundred Hives when Earth found its way to the Pegasus galaxy. This is nothing compared to how massive their numbers must have been when they defeated the Ancients 10,000 years ago. Overfeeding and the infighting that would come from it obviously got them to the point where they have enough numbers to be a problem for Earth, but are no longer the overwhelming mass that they were once were. The problem is that by 2004, the best solution that they came up with to deal with this problem involved lengthy periods of hibernation, giving human populations time to recover, so we don't know much of what they tried in the 10,000 years that preceded this. We do know of one attempt, however, and that involved incorporating Wraith DNA into humans to make them stronger and thus a better food source. It was abandoned because this couldn't be done without the humans developing Wraith telepathic abilities.

As for feeding on other Wraith; each Wraith needs to eat 3-4 times of a year. Although their natural reproductive method isn't something we know much about, it seems evident that these feeding demands far outweighs the frequency with which they can reproduce. I can't say too much more about this without spoiling something from season 4, but there may have been a time when technology provided a workaround to this problem.

There's also some upcoming stuff about a scientific solution to their feeding woes that gets some play later on, but I will refrain from talking about it until you catch-up.

Davey
September 13th, 2018, 05:38 PM
There was that one genii leader who I was sure was Leonard Nimoy when I saw it a couple of years ago. He looked like him and had the same voice.