This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheppard is Whipped???

a few people I know are saying that Sheps been a dieing character on the show. Basically, Wier says jump he asks how high... Wier seems to have to much control on him. He's the military power, Atlantis always has a security issue, and hes incharge of the Security and saftey of Atlantis... He's technically incharge. hes gotta run the shwo a little more
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

I don't know, he was basically pretty assertive in what could and may be the worst episode of Atlantis ever IMHO, Irresistable.
    http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Hmm... I disagree especially this season. He turned a bit two dimensional last season and that was annoying (Gah, the Tower! Gah!!) but so far this season, he's like he was in season one, very interesting character with lots of depth and a lot there for storylines to explore.

and yeah, he did stand up to Weir in Irresistible.
      sigpic
      My Fanfiction: fanfiction.net ** My LJ (Art and Fanfiction): SGAFan LJ

Comment

Sheppy kind of lost his place in S2 and being a Sheppard fan, I was a bit miffed. So far, Sheppard is being much better written in S3. Misbegotten he faltered a bit on some decisions, but when push came to shove, he did make the critical decision without consultation, hesitiation or regrets. Irresistable he definately took a strong stand and acted as a CO should. Yes, he's getter better writing and it's starting to show as he is really growing into his position as military CO.
        sigpic

Comment

I think they are certainly going to do something with Sheppards character...a friend poster of mine who knows this character very well saw it in Sateda..I saw it in Progeny...he was too quiet, too settled and too much sitting down....when the others were anxy...Sheppard is not one to sit down and is not one to take things lightly...and lately I've seen this in him...not I"m not sure if I like it or not...it's too soon to tell...I do see him bending for Weir and I don't like it...it started in Season 2...I think there is a time when he needs to agree with her, but there has been times, that he should had stood his ground....and he has done that this season...but he is showing a different side as well..I'm not going to worry just yet...they might be trying to break him for something big...and I personally like Sheppard without the breakdown!

keep him the heroe...fly boy that he is...

but, again...I'm going to wait and see....
          sigpic

Comment

i loved irrestible, because it was funny, but if it werent for him stepping up to Wier i dont think i would of liked it lol..
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

that was a great scene....and I loved how he went to Caldwell in the briefing room in SATEDA! Classic John...like I said, the Sheppard I know and love is there...but there is another side of him that is almost slowly emerging....
              sigpic

Comment

I was watching Suspicion the other day, and having not watch it for a while it really struck me how much Sheppard did stand up to Weir and how well Joe Flanigan acted in that episode. It also made me mad/sad that we see so little of that Sheppard anymore.

Irresistible IMHO does not count
                Spoiler:
                as only a total fool would have let Weir carry on the way she was without standing up to her, and since he was the second in command and he is the Military leader he was doing the only thing he could/should do and that is take control... of course it was made worse by the fact everyone but himself were under the influence.

Most of season 3 has left me cold, and not least because of Sheppard and Weir, I want them to disagree more, not fight as such; just not have Sheppard agreeing with every decision she makes. After all no matter how long Weir has been on Atlantis she is not military and you can't pretend she is, she should for the sake of believability be less likely to agree to some of the more brutal sides of military action Sheppard would want/need to undertake.

Give and take is fine but you have to have some moments where they will definitely not agree and get heated about it... Suspicion was a great example of that, although I think Bates was made the easy out for Weir's opinions/decisions in the end.

Comment

I dont think hes whipped, he just understands who is in charge and I think hes disobeyed her orders or told her what to do a couple of times.

Comment

I think the whole power dynamic here is a very tricky thing. It's not like it is on SG-1 because we have a non-military leader leading a somewhat military mission. John, being the senior military commander, should have a good deal of control but sometimes it hard to decipher whether the situation warrants his stepping in and taking over. In SG-1, Jack was the leader end of story but here Weir and Sheppard seem to be co-leading and that is hard to pull off without one character appearing weaker than the other at times. If Shep wins too much then Weir looks weak but if Weir wins too much Shep looks "whipped." They really tested that dynamic in season one...but I think Weir came off a bit weaker. In season 2 they tried to make her look stronger but to some that made John look weaker.

I honestly just like seeing their dynamic play out. Sometimes John is in the right and sometimes Elizabeth is...I don't think either is particularly "whipped" by the other, it just fluxuates. I think it's more noticeable when John is being portrayed weaker because he's supposed to be the smart, strong, "hero" of the show and it seems wrong sometimes when he's not in control.

Season 3 hasn't really dealt with the power "struggle" as much as the other two seasons have...so far.
                    Spoiler:
                    John and Liz were seperated in the first 2 episodes, under alien influences in the third, barely together in the fourth, in sync in the fifth, and one comatose in the sixth...with what looks like the other missing in the seventh. So there hasn't been as much opportunity for them to clash.

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Stef
                      I think the whole power dynamic here is a very tricky thing. It's not like it is on SG-1 because we have a non-military leader leading a somewhat military mission. John, being the senior military commander, should have a good deal of control but sometimes it hard to decipher whether the situation warrants his stepping in and taking over. In SG-1, Jack was the leader end of story but here Weir and Sheppard seem to be co-leading and that is hard to pull off without one character appearing weaker than the other at times. If Shep wins too much then Weir looks weak but if Weir wins too much Shep looks "whipped." They really tested that dynamic in season one...but I think Weir came off a bit weaker. In season 2 they tried to make her look stronger but to some that made John look weaker.

I honestly just like seeing their dynamic play out. Sometimes John is in the right and sometimes Elizabeth is...I don't think either is particularly "whipped" by the other, it just fluxuates. I think it's more noticeable when John is being portrayed weaker because he's supposed to be the smart, strong, "hero" of the show and it seems wrong sometimes when he's not in control.

Season 3 hasn't really dealt with the power "struggle" as much as the other two seasons have...so far.
                      Spoiler:
                      John and Liz were seperated in the first 2 episodes, under alien influences in the third, barely together in the fourth, in sync in the fifth, and one comatose in the sixth...with what looks like the other missing in the seventh. So there hasn't been as much opportunity for them to clash.

-Stef
                      Hmm. Good points about the power dynamic. Atlantis is a civilian operation, so the balance needs to be there MOST of the time. A lot of Weir / Caldwell-like clashes don't make sense between Sheppard and Weir . IMO, common clashes would demonstrate they were (or one of them at least was) not a good fit for the expedition.

I didn't see Sheppard as giving in so much in season 2, as he and Weir were more in sync. She saw things his way as much as he saw matters her way. At least that's what I think the writers were trying to show us. I can't recall a time in season 2 when I thought he should have disagreed with her (and stood up to her) but didn't. Well, except The Long Goodbye, even though that wasn't her. And Caldwell was there too.

Anyone have season 2 specifics we can have some fun discussing?

Comment

Originally posted by expendable_crewman
                        Hmm. Good points about the power dynamic. Atlantis is a civilian operation, so the balance needs to be there MOST of the time. A lot of Weir / Caldwell-like clashes don't make sense between Sheppard and Weir . IMO, common clashes would demonstrate they were (or one of them at least was) not a good fit for the expedition.

I didn't see Sheppard as giving in so much in season 2, as he and Weir were more in sync. She saw things his way as much as he saw matters her way. At least that's what I think the writers were trying to show us. I can't recall a time in season 2 when I thought he should have disagreed with her (and stood up to her) but didn't. Well, except The Long Goodbye, even though that wasn't her. And Caldwell was there too.

Anyone have season 2 specifics we can have some fun discussing?

I agree with you about season 2. Up until joining this board and reading some of the posts, I didn't particularly think Sheppard was always "giving in." I think it was just a progression of their relationship. At first they were testing each other, they didn't know each other very well and were trying to establish their roles in Atlantis. In season 2, I think they knew each other better and were able to understand each other and find compromises...and more often than not were in agreement. Plus, Caldwell came in season 2 which provided an outside source of tension. It would get boring and lack dimension if Shep and Weir just kept going back and forth, overriding each other.

As for moments in season 2...I can't think of any off the top of my head but there are people who have pointed out many...especially in "I Hate Weir" threads and the like.

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                        X