This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Anti Cast Transplant Thread

After ranting and raving about the issue in several separate threads, I think it's about time I put my thoughts into one thread.

Since the announcement of SG-1's non-renewal on the Sci-Fi channel, there has been talk from different quarters (execs and fans) about the possibility that SG-1 cast members might find themselves in Atlantis.

As a fan of Atlantis, I am completely against the wholesale changes on the show to make way for SG-1 cast members to find permanent positions there. I think it will only serve to hurt the show and antagonize a large population of Atlantis fans. Some of have already threatened to stop watching the show if they favourite actors get dumped.

Repost from Pro-Season 4 thread:
    There has been some suggestion that somehow Atlantis cannot survive (too long) without the parent show. IMVHO, I don’t think Atlantis’ survival is predicated on SG-1’s presence but on solid writing and characterization.
    I’ve been thinking of Deep Space Nine, which spun off from The Next Gen. In many ways, the show became superior to its predecessor, primarily because it wasn’t afraid to risks with characterization and storytelling. Apart from the inclusion of Worf in later seasons, the show was a disinct entity in the Trek universe and remained so right till its end.

If the TPTB/execs want to include SG-1 cast members on the odd occasion on Atlantis, I have no real objection. However, I don’t think, having SG-1 members on the show permanently is going to bring in SG-1 fans onboard en masse, if that’s what the rationale is. If they don’t like Atlantis as is, I don’t think they’re going to buy into because MS or AT is in it. In fact, it may only serve to antagonize Atlantis fans who may resent seeing their favourite characters dumped or sidelined in favour of the established stars. The brutal fact is this, Atlantis is almost three years old and if it can’t survive independently of the parent show by the end of the season then it doesn’t deserve to survive at all.

I’m not a huge Carter fan and having her on Atlantis isn’t going do much for me. I don’t care for post-Ascension Daniel much. Either one of them in small doses is fair enough but I think Atlantis has enough problems with characterization without having to bring in more people into the mix.[/repost]
    There are already established cast dynamics in place and transplanting SG-1 regs would I think, affect that to a great extent.

I've been told by various people that many Atlanis fans are against this, so perhaps we should get together to express our collective views here.

Feel free to express your concerns here but please refrain from actor bashing...
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Below is strictly my thoughts and opinion....

Thank you for starting this thread! I am one of the SGA fans who would quit watching Atlantis if SG1 character(s) are brought on board for good.

Not that I have anything against the characters, but SG1 had their run (10 years) and its time to let it go. Atlantis really needs the opportunity to grow and shine more fully on its own merits with its own characters. It's lived in its sisters shadow too long.

What I don't understand is that if some people did not watch SGA because they did not like the storyline, the set up, etc, what effect will having an SG1 character make? SGA will still have the same storyline, the same set up etc just with an additional cast member.

Also SGA has a very talented and complete main cast as well as some very good secondary cast members. Their characters are becoming very well established considering what little screen time they do actually get. Adding another character means less screen time or removal of those that we have already fallen in love with. That's not right, nor is it fair.

SGA is its own show, with its own characters. Please do not ruin what is already a great and getting greater. While I feel for the SG1 fans (I am one myself), the reality is, SG1 is done. Bringing even one member over is not going to make things better for SGA and maintains a false hope for the continuance of SG1.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
      I think it will only serve to hurt the show and antagonize a large population of Atlantis fans.
      The people that I know only watch Atlantis and Atlantis only. The reason is very simple, its pretty easy to catch up. It doesn't have ten years of storylines and character development. Plus they don't really care about SG1

I watch Atlantis because I like it, not because I want to see the SG1 members in it. Really, okay, so they do bring in the members from SG1 over, some people watch but is one or two characters enough to keep them watching. Truthfully I don't care about SG1, it never held my interest like Atlantis, partly because I really didn't care if the characters died.

I want SGA to stay as it is. The new season has been great so far. Their finally getting it right and it would be a shame to see the dynamic change just because they couldn't let go of their show.
      sigpic
      My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Hey I agree with you guys. Atlantis just doesnt have room for any of the SG1 characters..thats pure and simple.

icon pic thanks Cathain Nottingham

Comment

I completely agree with what is being said here.

I am a fan of both shows, but truthfully, I actually resent the idea of replacing Atlantis cast members with SG1 cast. SG1 is a great show and I enjoyed all 10 seasons of it, but it had it's 10 years. I see no purpose in pushing aside new and fresh characters, that have their own stories to be told, in favor of characters that have had 10 years for their stories to be told.

Since the beginning I've always felt that Atlantis and SG1, while both Stargate, are two very different shows. Atlantis has a different chemistry and feel to it, and in many ways is a lot more "edgy". Honestly (as Rodney would say) I think its a "Square peg, Round Hole" thing. I really don't think the SG1 cast members would fit in really well as regulars on Atlantis. The show is different.

I don't see SG1 fans who haven't liked Atlantis to this point, flocking to watch SGA simply because one or more of the SG1 cast members have been placed there and frankly, I know of a LOT of Atlantis fans (both ones that liked SG1 and ones that didnt) who are strongly against this and may even stop watching SGA if TPTB turn it into "SG1: The New Galaxy's Adventures"

With two seasons under their collective belts, the cast and show are really hitting their stride (I think we can agree to the quality of most of the eps this season!) let them have their run.

Just my .02 worth
          sigpic
          My Fanfiction: fanfiction.net ** My LJ (Art and Fanfiction): SGAFan LJ

Comment

That blows! SG1 character's shouldn't be allowed to come over. That's just extra meals they're gonna have to cook, extra rooms to be taken up, extra laundry to be done, and extra poop to be disposed of.
            Carson's pointy hair makes my toe happy.

Comment

Originally posted by leighanners
              That blows! SG1 character's shouldn't be allowed to come over. That's just extra meals they're gonna have to cook, extra rooms to be taken up, extra laundry to be done, and extra poop to be disposed of.
              Not to mention the queue for the bathrooms...

I knew there were good practical, logistical reasons why they shouldn't be allowed to take residence in Atlantis.
              sigpic
              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I know right?!?! My gosh. People will have to go outside and pee in the ocean. It's just almost too horrible to mention.

Comment

Originally posted by leighanners
                  I know right?!?! My gosh. People will have to go outside and pee in the ocean. It's just almost too horrible to mention.
                  And ruin the scenery?! *gasps in horror*

We probably shouldn't even go there... the thunkers will have a field day with this...

Well, the reasons are piling up...
                  Maybe we should put it in a letter and send it off to TPTB...
                  sigpic

Comment

We should! And I think the first thing on the top of the list should be the bathroom issue. Haha

Comment

SGAfan..I love your sig and you too Leigh....beautiful....

and Easter Lily....you have no idea how much I wanted to do this thread...but since I tend to cause chaos...I refrained from it...so I'm so glad that I wasn't the only one thinking of this.....

I'm in the process of making new sigs that promote the idea, without bashing the SG-1 characters, how much the SGA cast need to stay in Atlantis as is....

I"m just trying to find the right catch phrase....I will see if I can make several and I will post them here....otherwise, it would be nice if those of you who know how to make sigs can join in and create some really good SGA Character sigs promoting this idea.....

Finally, as much as I love SG-1...they need to move on and accept whatever comes their way....and SGA needs to continue with the cast and crew as it is now.....they are starting their season 3 pretty good and they need to continue with their great stories and interesting episodes with the characters that are there now...that is what makes me love this show....nothing else and nothing more....
                      sigpic

Comment

I think the main purpose for the existence of this thread to offer support to the Atlantis cast and how much we respect their work. I do fear for many of the characters. While I don't love them all equally, I still think their individual stories deserve to be told.

Camy... I'm happy for the sigs to be plastered all over here...
                        sigpic

Comment

I agree that SGA should not be the "dumping ground" for the SG-1 cast. (Erm, no pun intended, what with the impending bathroom overflow issues and all )

As much as I enjoy SG-1, I enjoy Atlantis even more. I feel like the character dynamics on the show have finally hit their stride now in Season Three, and to add any new regulars into the mix next season would completely destroy the close-knit "family" that has managed to develop.

There's also the obvious fact that with the addition of more characters, others would suffer. The secondary characters like Lorne and Zelenka that we've come to know and love (heck, and Chuck too ) would have to sacrifice some of their screentime in order to make room for other characters. Heck, there's already severe lack of character development (Shep backstory, anyone? ) with the main characters. Any SG-1 characters added onto the show would face this same problem.

I've enjoyed SG-1, and will be sad to see it go, but please, please, let's not take Atlantis down with it.

~Shep Code
                          Thanks to Leelakin for the sig!

Comment

I just made my sig in the time I started on this post. I too was trying to find a nice way to put that us SGA fans don't want SG1 on our show. It's not easy. I've thought of several not so nice things. But if anyone wants to use mine, they're more than welcome to. The link to it is in my sig. I will also try and come up with more.

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                              I think the main purpose for the existence of this thread to offer support to the Atlantis cast and how much we respect their work. I do fear for many of the characters. While I don't love them all equally, I still think their individual stories deserve to be told.

Camy... I'm happy for the sigs to be plastered all over here...
                              I love ALL of them...some more than others...but I still love and don't want any of them removed....none of them!

I am so busy right now...but I will try to do something...does anyone know besides the promo shots of a good pic with all of them in it that I can use...otherwise it will take me longer to create one from scratch....in either case...I think the sig idea is good and if I can't do any, at least others might...

thanks Easter Lily....
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X