X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci-fi Saved Stargate SG-1 five years ago

Yeah the title is misleading, too mad.

Many here seem to believe that the Sci-fi Channel is evil and will boycott the network. I heard that before and it never happens. This is nothing like Farscape so stop comparing it to that. Farscape was promised another season and Sci-fi dropped out at the last minute. They dropped out to fund new shows like SG-1. Sci-fi made the show twise as long as it was going to be. They announced it now so that the creators would be given at least some time to wrap up the show befor a TV movie or miniseries or regular movie is made. It's much better than coming out in November or December like they normally do and say it's canceled after it's too late to fix anything.

Sci-fi gave SG-1 a new life 5 years ago and instead of acting like jerks, threatening them (Someone wrote that they would blow up Sci-fi offices.) and making it seem like sci-fi and SG-1 fans are crazy how about we send letters of thanks. Letters saying "Thanks for the extra 5 years, thanks for all the good times and bad, and thanks for letting them come up with a true ending that will really be the ending of the show, but just a beginning to something more" and stop acting like they just killed your child, because it's just a TV show that needed to end at some point.

Originally posted by Oreo

Many here seem to believe that the Sci-fi Channel is evil and will boycott the network. I heard that before and it never happens. This is nothing like Farscape so stop comparing it to that. Farscape was promised another season and Sci-fi dropped out at the last minute. They dropped out to fund new shows like SG-1. Sci-fi made the show twise as long as it was going to be. They announced it now so that the creators would be given at least some time to wrap up the show befor a TV movie or miniseries or regular movie is made. It's much better than coming out in November or December like they normally do and say it's canceled after it's too late to fix anything.

Sci-fi gave SG-1 a new life 5 years ago and instead of acting like jerks, threatening them (Someone wrote that they would blow up Sci-fi offices.) and making it seem like sci-fi and SG-1 fans are crazy how about we send letters of thanks. Letters saying "Thanks for the extra 5 years, thanks for all the good times and bad, and thanks for letting them come up with a true ending that will really be the ending of the show, but just a beginning to something more" and stop acting like they just killed your child, because it's just a TV show that needed to end at some point.

Now I know we got into this kind of an arguement yesterday, but I think respect for the show is the issue. I am fine with the show ending if the network allows the show to do as you say, end with a movie or mini series. However, I believe that the time allowed may not be enough time to end it in the way the fans would like to see it end. I do hope for the mini series, but something tells me that if we do not show our support for the show we may not get that.

Comment

All bow down, the mighty Oreo has spoken!!!!!!!!!

I never said I would boycott Scifi so don't assume all who don't agree with Scifi's decision of ending SG-1 will boycott the station.

I think people are upset with the abrupt way it was done. I don't recall having any warning of it other than clicking on Gateworld and reading the news.

I posted this in another thread but I will post it here as well,
      I'm saddened that we won't see SG-1 on another network, but I'm glad that so many (the producers, and MGM) are standing behind the Stargate series and willing to try TV movies, miniseries or a new series. I personally like that last one.

Comment

If a man saves your brother from being hit by a bus, and then shoots him in the face, do you thank the man, or hate him?

Take your time...

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
          If a man saves your brother from being hit by a bus, and then shoots him in the face, do you thank the man, or hate him?

Take your time...

You are the best examble for the "Let's kill everyone at Sci-fi Offices" agruement. It's been on ten years and at least 2 years too long.

And how would you have liked the news to come out? Personal calls to all the fans?

And we already now that the story will continue! We have known that every year since season 4 when they said they wnated to do a movie. So they are given a little time to do some loose ends on the show and then will finish up with TV movies or a movie. Why is ending acting like this is the end of SG-1? Every true fan should know it's not. MGM knows that this is the bestest franchise they have besides James Bond of course it won't end.

Comment

You are the best examble for the "Let's kill everyone at Sci-fi Offices" agruement. It's been on ten years and at least 2 years too long.

And how would you have liked the news to come out? Personal calls to all the fans?
            I didn't want the news to happen at all! And for your information, I think Season 9 and 10 were great.

And we already now that the story will continue! We have known that every year since season 4 when they said they wnated to do a movie. So they are given a little time to do some loose ends on the show and then will finish up with TV movies or a movie. Why is ending acting like this is the end of SG-1? Every true fan should know it's not.
            Oh please, "true fan"?! I thought you Anti's hated us pros for using that phrase. And a movie, or a miniseries is NOT BETTER than a season.

Like Anubistraveler said, it'a also about respect; SG1 gave Sci-Fi their current status, and they just kick it aside.

And nice dodging my question by the way.

Comment

They just kicked it aside?! What ****ing world do you live on?! They gave it 5 seasons and for the past few the ratings have been going down the pits. They ratings are horrible and the show is ten years old. It's time to move on.

Comment

Ratings aren't the issue apparently. You can think it's a lie all you want, but the words are there in black and white (and blue).

And yes, they did kick it aside the moment they finished using it to get 200 eps and get into the Guiness world records. That's why they let it go on past season 8.

And, of course, the question has still been dodged.

Comment

Perfect! That Is Exactly It! They Waited Five Years To Shoot!

Comment

Also remember that the producers wanted to rebrand ths show to Stargate Command after season 8, but scifi wanted the SG-1 name. Now they cancel it because the SG-1 name is too much money or something.

I understand your sentiment, but scifi has done too much wrong to deserve the benefit of the doubt here.

Comment

SciFi shouldnt have cancelled it the day of celebrating the record breaking 200th ep. That was rude and uncalled for.

Comment

Pretty impressive, Oreo.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Konman72
                          Also remember that the producers wanted to rebrand ths show to Stargate Command after season 8, but scifi wanted the SG-1 name. Now they cancel it because the SG-1 name is too much money or something.

I understand your sentiment, but scifi has done too much wrong to deserve the benefit of the doubt here.
                          I agree with that. All Sci-Fi wanted to do was reach 200 eps so they could have their little record. Amazing how right after it airs, the announcement of the cancellation is let out.

And ratings had nothing to do with it. Sci-Fi even admits that. If it was ratings related, Atlantis would be gone too.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Can we get some things right...

Sci-fi didn't cancel it the day of the 200th episode, it was a few afterwards.

Second Sci-fi did want to keep the name and most likely only did because they wanted to break the record, so?

If it was renamed do you think it wouldn't have been canceled? It's the same story, the people would have to be paid the same, and most likely the same ratings. So what would changing the name do? Nothing.

And of course ratings are part of the problem, Sci-fi came out and said watch the show live, everyone was begging to watch the shows live. The ratings didn't go up, the ratings are part of the problem. It's cost and ratings, the cost is high and the ratings are low. Atlantis has slightly higher ratings and much lower costs, so it stays.

And NowIWillDestroyAbydos is it impressive good or impressive how crazy you are?

Comment

Can we get some things right...

Sci-fi didn't cancel it the day of the 200th episode, it was a few afterwards.

Second Sci-fi did want to keep the name and most likely only did because they wanted to break the record, so?

If it was renamed do you think it wouldn't have been canceled? It's the same story, the people would have to be paid the same, and most likely the same ratings. So what would changing the name do? Nothing.

And of course ratings are part of the problem, Sci-fi came out and said watch the show live, everyone was begging to watch the shows live. The ratings didn't go up, the ratings are part of the problem. It's cost and ratings, the cost is high and the ratings are low. Atlantis has slightly higher ratings and much lower costs, so it stays.

And NowIWillDestroyAbydos is it impressive good or impressive how crazy you are?

Oh, excuse us. It was the following Monday. They waited a whole weekend to make the announcment. My bad!
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X