This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling Ancient Alphabetters!

Hi guys and gals, havn't been on for a while, remember the old Ancient Alphabet thread? Well having seen a photo from an upcoming episode it looks like we might have to get to work again!

The photo on The MGM Stargate Atlantis site from "The Storm" shows the main console in the Atlantis Control room and you can clearly see the ancient letters on it. BUT they don't look like any of the other symbols that were decoded in the last thread! The picture is at the link below but beware of very minorish spoilers for the episode: http://www.stargateatlantis.com/imag...ullsize/27.jpg

Hope we can figure this one out as I'm stumped!

I was just looking for the Ancient Alphabet thread too!
    I thinik we saw a little bit of those panels in an earlier episode and i'm pretty sure that they were considered to be Ancient numbers but of course I can't be sure and it would be better if SGEureka or others could check it out.
    Unfortunately without any hint of what they are or what they are supposed to be I don't think there is any way to translate them

Thanks for posting the link thugh cause now we have some clear pictures of the new letters/numbers

@->-4eva Sam and Jack!<3

^ My New Siggy!!! Made by SueKay! ^

Comment

If you look all of the letter/characters have a little bit on the bottom of them which I don't think we've seen before, and then there's all those really tiny characters! Oohhh I love it when the production team do stuff like this!

Comment

Originally posted by Markey2
        If you look all of the letter/characters have a little bit on the bottom of them which I don't think we've seen before, and then there's all those really tiny characters! Oohhh I love it when the production team do stuff like this!
        So do I!
        I'm so glad that they decided to make the symbols actually correspond to letters and hopefully numbers

I just found the original thread..it was hidden on Page 3, its back up on Page 1 now

@->-4eva Sam and Jack!<3

^ My New Siggy!!! Made by SueKay! ^

Comment

Yeh I noticed thanks for that.

Although I have a request, can someone rehost the Ancient alphabet files as I have Chevron Nine's very first font and was away for a while and couldn't find the original thread. Thanks.

Comment

We've see those symbols before on the consoles. I think at least two of them are of the three missing letters, but the rest don't make sense. We think they're numbers. They also look like some of the simbols on the Atlatnis door control pannels so it's very possible they are numbers. The problem is, without a context, we can't decipher any numbers.

Comment

I'm just trying to figure out why they'd put numbers there . . .
              Tripudire est irritus
              Jumping is useless

Nu ani Lunatas
              We are the Mooninites

Comment

That's why I thought, why numbers

My first idea was that it might say stuff like "Control Panel" or "Map" something like that.

I think there's 8 obvious variations of the characters so there could be two more to make 10.
                Last edited by Markey2; 15 August 2004, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Markey2
                  That's why I thought, why numbers

My first idea was that it might say stuff like "Control Panel" or "Map" something like that.

I think there's 8 obvious variations of the characters so there could be two more to make 10.
                  Or not. Remember the first time O'neill got the ancient's knowledge, he was using base-eight math. There may be only eight digits, which would be 0-7.
                  Tripudire est irritus
                  Jumping is useless

Nu ani Lunatas
                  We are the Mooninites

Comment

Originally posted by WurdBendur
                    Or not. Remember the first time O'neill got the ancient's knowledge, he was using base-eight math. There may be only eight digits, which would be 0-7.
                    More like 0-8
                    "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Originally posted by veneticuss
                      More like 0-8
                      No, in base-eight math, 8 would be represented by 10. We use base-ten math, but we don't have a digit for ten, do we? No, we use a 1 with a 0 as a placeholder. Numbers with a different base would do the same.

Also, if you count the number of digits, you'll find that one with 0-8 actually has 9 digits.
                      Tripudire est irritus
                      Jumping is useless

Nu ani Lunatas
                      We are the Mooninites

Comment

Base-8
                        01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 20 = 16 numbers

Base-10
                        01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 = 16 numbers

By the way, it's still debated to this day if Zero is actually a proper number. Since the symbol itself represents the lack of quantity, it's not really a number, but a symbol that represents nothing.
                        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Did anyone else notice this? In the "alphabet" that has been decifered so far, there is no "T" shape on the bottom half of ANY of the symbols. Let me explain that a little better. If you take the symbols, and cut them in half horizontaly, NON of the "bottoms" would form a "T". YET, the "new" symbols ALL have a "T" shape that makes up the bottom half of the symbol. Could this be done for a reason? I would imagine a system of letters and numbers, that so CLOSELY resemble one another, a simple rule like NO "T" bottoms for letters, and ONLY "T" bottoms for numbers, would make it VERY easy to read quickly.

Thus, if we take another quick look at the "new" symbols, I dont think we are seeing ANY letters at all, all numbers. NOTE: I cant realy see "all" of them, but I think this holds pretty well true. AND, if there is indeed 8 unique "T" bottom symbols, I think we may have just struck gold.

What do you all think, hope I explained that well. If not, please let me know I will try again, with pictures

Corpushominisanimusaltus

Bodyofamansoulofanancient

Comment

I know what you mean, I noticed that first as well, all of those characters have a little "notch" in the middle at the bottom. If you're wondering how I got 8 characters well there are two lots of two characters which look very similiar but have a slight difference in the amount of space in the overall shape of the letters.

Also, if you look, one of the characters is actually almost identical to Chevron Nine's made up letter Q. Perhaps if this is a number this letter Q should be changed. I dunno, I'm quessing here, we need a reference of some sort.

Comment

One thing I dont understand though. If you take all the letters of our current alphabet, and put them onto a piece of graph paper, ALL the letters fit nicely into 3X4 blocks, BUT the numbers seem to also be in 3X4 blocks, exept for that little notch, making it a 3X5 block. So I wonder, if the numbers are kind of a subscript of the letters?

Corpushominisanimusaltus

Bodyofamansoulofanancient

Comment

Working...
                              X