This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quantum Mirror error.

If there are an infinite amount of alternate universes, and quantum mirrors exist to bridge them, shouldn't that mean that people should be constantly, at any point in time, be trying to go through them? That seems logical to me, since there would be infinite worlds where people are going through, arriving in infinite other worlds, including ours, so things and people should always, constantly be coming through.
    My heart beats in 13/8.

In other realities that may be true but ours was destroyed so no one can come through it from another universe.
    "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

Along with an infinite ammount that haven't discovered it.

Its just one of those quirks in the show thats impossible to explain completely.
      I'm proud to be an American.

"...and those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust."

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith
        In other realities that may be true but ours was destroyed so no one can come through it from another universe.
        Yeah but we had it as well, for some time.

Along with an infinite ammount that haven't discovered it.

Its just one of those quirks in the show thats impossible to explain completely.
        Well yes, but those don't count, we only count the number of civilzations that have discovered it, which are infinite. They should have been pouring through the quantum mirror in an inexplicable phenomenon of many existing in the same space, which is impossible, so we don't know what might happen.

Thought it most probably would overload and explode.

On the other hand, the Quantum Mirror itself might have a failsafe built in specifaclly to prevent this, so maybe it allows people to come through only once in a specific timespan, or something similar. Anyone going through will end up in an alternate universe, but this way it's impossible to go to the same one that others are going to.
        My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

If there is infinite realities which are all different in some way, then there would be infinite realities without mirrors in them.

Comment

Originally posted by metabog
            If there are an infinite amount of alternate universes, and quantum mirrors exist to bridge them, shouldn't that mean that people should be constantly, at any point in time, be trying to go through them? That seems logical to me, since there would be infinite worlds where people are going through, arriving in infinite other worlds, including ours, so things and people should always, constantly be coming through.
            Even if an infinite number of universes have the mirrors, and a smaller, but still infinite, number of people tried to cross every day, they're still heading for an infinite number of destinations, so the chances of them showing up in the 'prime reality' are still quite small (something like countable infinity over uncountable infinity).
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

being that "ours" is destroyed (doubtful since moebius changed a lot of crap). it's doubtful that any would be coming "here". i'm sure there are lots of dude going to others
              A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                Even if an infinite number of universes have the mirrors, and a smaller, but still infinite, number of people tried to cross every day, they're still heading for an infinite number of destinations, so the chances of them showing up in the 'prime reality' are still quite small (something like countable infinity over uncountable infinity).
                I agree and you beat me to it lol.

its like most phone numbers in north america are 11 digits
                #-###-###-####

now even if u have 90,000 people randomly hitting numbers.. the chances of them hitting you. are extremely low

just for.. ya know.. comparison

Comment

Yeah but simply the fact that they are infinite means that no matter how many people have them, don't have them, or don't use them, there are still an infinite number of people using them and going places, all the time. It's a weird concept, but it's true if you think about it.

And it doesen't matter that lots of people are NOT going to our universe, there are still infinite people trying to. If you substract something out of infinity, it's still infinity, right? Or you just leave it at that, infinity minus whatever.
                  My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Well, we didn't use it that much when we did have it so it makes sense that versions of the SGC in realities close to ours would be just as hesitant/cautious, and since visitors would be most likely to come from close realities the traffic rate is not very high.

Comment

It doesen't matter what the traffic rate is.
                      My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Originally posted by metabog
                        Yeah but simply the fact that they are infinite means that no matter how many people have them, don't have them, or don't use them, there are still an infinite number of people using them and going places, all the time. It's a weird concept, but it's true if you think about it.

And it doesen't matter that lots of people are NOT going to our universe, there are still infinite people trying to. If you substract something out of infinity, it's still infinity, right? Or you just leave it at that, infinity minus whatever.
                        It's still infinity, but it's a much smaller infinity.

So, the number of possible universes is infinite. The number of universes in which a particular thing exists is still infinite, but by definition it must be a subset of the total number of universes and therefore smaller. Likewise, the number of universes from which a person is travelling through an interdimensional quantum mirror is a subset - a tiny subset - of the number of parallels in which a quantum mirror exists to receive them. The number is probably still infinite, but it's an itty-bitty infinity compared to the infinite number of universes with quantum mirrors. Therefore, the chances of someone coming out of a given QM at a given time are actually very small.
                        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

It doesen't matter what the traffic rate is.
                          Just that it wouldn't be infinite.

Comment

Originally posted by takagari
                            I agree and you beat me to it lol.

its like most phone numbers in north america are 11 digits
                            #-###-###-####

now even if u have 90,000 people randomly hitting numbers.. the chances of them hitting you. are extremely low

just for.. ya know.. comparison
                            wouldn't that be 10 numbers not 11?

Comment

Originally posted by BubblingOverWithIdeas
                              Just that it wouldn't be infinite.
                              Well it could.

Remember, infinity is infinately big.

An infinate number of people travelling through an infinate number of quantum mirrors doesn't actually mean that they're all in use. Because there's always new universes being created all the time, with new mirrors.

Don't think about it, infinity is a head-exploding concept if you drill down too far.
                              Son, do you know what colour this phone is?
                              - General Hammond

Comment

Working...
                              X