Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would people feel about a LotR/SG-1 crossover?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would people feel about a LotR/SG-1 crossover?

I dunno I'd write it but I have read that crossover before and most of them weren't really good...

Would anyeone else write one?
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Bill Watterson

I would consider writing a fic that alters Tolkien's story line to include a lost Tau'ri. The basic premise is that a captured SG team member escapes a Goa'uld ship in an escape pod and crash lands near Hobbiton. He meets Gandalf, Frodo, Sam and others and tells them about his life, but the person has no hope of ever returning home so he tries to make a life for himself in the Shire. But, when Gandalf goes to the library of Minas Tirith looking for information on the One Ring, he also comes across information on the Great Ring (or Stargate). The Tau'ri man agrees to accompany the Hobbits with hope of finding the Stargate somewhere along the journey.

I always though that would be kind of cool, but it would be flagrant plagarism and a slap in the face to Tolkien's masterpiece...so I probably never would write it.
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Animalian
      I dunno I'd write it but I have read that crossover before and most of them weren't really good...

Here is my (by now almost boilerplate) answer: Write what interests you. If you've got an idea for a fun LotR/SG-1 crossover, then go for it. If you don't then you'll probably think of something else to write.

The most important bit is to write about something that you want to write about. Mostly that is going to relate to the actual story, not just the general concept.

For example, I'd been thinking about doing an SG-1/Farscape crossover for some time but could never come up with a plot that I was interested in. Then suddenly I thought of something setting it in the ST:TNG universe and I was off (see 'my fanfic' link in sig. if you are interested in the result).

Comment

Originally posted by Animalian

I've written LOTR and Stargate fic, and once managed to get elves and hobbits into a Stargate fic (with a shoehorn and lots of pressure) but it was only a fun thing.

It has potential - Sauron is way more of a powerful baddie than Anubis, and Saruman is every bit as vain and peacocky as Apophis. Denethor is sort of like a Tok'ra - against the bad guys, but when push comes to shove, more for his own type than an alliance, although quick to point the finger and complain about lack of support.

The Rohirrim are a bit like ... actually they're a bit like the Tok'ra too, but without their insufferable smugness.

Orcs and Uruk Hai are easily covered by Jaffa and Supersoldiers.

OK, the bug got me. It is quite possible that within the next decade I've done something like this.

In fact... well, to be honest, I have thought about it before. I've just outed myself!!
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry, but I just don't like most crossovers. I honestly don't think that this one would be all that great. You'd have to be a REALLY good author to pull it off. And I mean REALLY GOOD. You have SG-1, a science fiction series, and Lord of the Rings, a classic piece of litature. They just really don't mix. HOWEVER! I don't condone all crossovers. I'd love to see a good SG/Star Wars one, but hey, it's the nerdiness.

</nerdiness>

My Own Little World

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
          101 Ways to Annoy, Harass, Confuse or Generally Scare Lord Voldemort
          "Be nice to nerds;
          one day, you'll end up working for one."
          -Evil Overlord Bill Gates
          Ba'al: I'll never let go, Jack, I'll never let go!
          Jack: *choke* That's my throat, Ba'al.....

Comment

Actually, I've never considered a Crossover as such (not seriously, you can't count my SG-1/Clangers thing....)

But some can be excellent. In the Magnificent Seven fandom, they have created AU things, one of which brings it up to modern times and has the guys in the ATF. Someone then ran with that and wrote an excellent SG1/Mag7(ATF) fic - based around the time of Seth.

Sentinel/SG1 stuff can be good - although I'm quite happy to admit that I have also seen a whole load of poop in that.

LOTR/Stargate... well, if you had Sauron/Saruman as a System Lord, with orcs and Uruk Hai instead of Jaffa, that would be interesting. After all, the Shire is just middle merry England, fol de rol, and all that stuff.

sigpic

Comment

depends would the SG teammember be like WTF? why am i in a film/novel set?

See Ibwolf's fic (link in his sig) for how such things should behandled.
              Of course I don't think they've everyspecifically mentioned LOTR on SG-1 so you might be able to get away with implying LOTR didn't excist in SG-1.
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                See Ibwolf's fic (link in his sig) for how such things should behandled.
                Whoa, somone referenced Wormhole Junction in a discussion unrelated to it, suddenly I feel all important and stuff

Comment

Originally posted by ibwolf
                  Whoa, somone referenced Wormhole Junction in a discussion unrelated to it, suddenly I feel all important and stuff
                  And so you should post chapter 3. Now. *levels P-90* now means NOW!
                  sigpic
                  Banner By JME2

Comment

Really? Do you have links to any of them, by any chance? I'd be interested in seeing them.

...I'm actually writing one (started it well over a year ago, and now just write on it whenever I get the time) so I'd like to see if mine is one of the bad ones.
                    When the stars align, and the east meets the west...

Comment

I think the easiest way to 'get away with it' is if you created original LOTR characters - descendants of the original fellowship, so as to tie it in to SG-1 time now. Then you don't have to imply that LOTR doesn't exist in SG-1 canon, and that in itself would make for very interesting reactions from the SG-1 team.

If that makes any sense...

From there I really like Major Tyler's plot line, which would make it like a second Fellowship of the Ring, just a different ring. And of course it's flagrant plagarism, but then what fanfic isn't?

I'd love to see a good SG/Star Wars one, but hey, it's the nerdiness.
                      I definitely second that.

Comment

Originally posted by idroppedarice
                        I think the easiest way to 'get away with it' is if you created original LOTR characters - descendants of the original fellowship, so as to tie it in to SG-1 time now. Then you don't have to imply that LOTR doesn't exist in SG-1 canon, and that in itself would make for very interesting reactions from the SG-1 team.

If that makes any sense...
                        Not necessarily, although that would be good.

However, how about SG-1 gates to a world, which turns out to be Middle Earth. They stumble around, and end up with Eomer and his men just before Gandalf takes them back to fight at Helm's Deep.

That way you could have SG-1 in Middle Earth, reference a few characters and you never know, maybe even go back and fight. I'd love to see some dialogue between Jack and Treebeard. Come to that some dialogue between Sam and Eowyn would be good - Sam has everything that Eowyn ever wanted, it could be really interesting.

in fact, I have a day off and I have to write today....

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                          Come to that some dialogue between Sam and Eowyn would be good - Sam has everything that Eowyn ever wanted, it could be really interesting.
                          And here we come to the big problem with the concept: I read that line - even in an SG-1 forum - and thought 'Eowyn wanted to be a gardener?'
                          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                            And here we come to the big problem with the concept: I read that line - even in an SG-1 forum - and thought 'Eowyn wanted to be a gardener?'
                            oh my!! I can't believe that I didn't spot that as it came on my screen!

I'm sorely tempted to write that one... really really tempted,because if nothing else I'd love one of those Alpha-male jobbies between Aragorn and Jack... and then there is the slash potential of Daniel/Legolas and of course Teal'c and Gimli both providing stoic comic relief.

mmmmm Daniel/Legolas. Haven't I written that one yet?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                              mmmmm Daniel/Legolas. Haven't I written that one yet?
                              Look, MC! Blue string pudding! Yes; just there, in the bomb shelter with five years of supplies and nothing to write on!
                              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
                              X