Ancient Warships(jumper bays)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient Warships(jumper bays)

On the Daedalus we've got a compliment of 16 f-302's in two separate hangars/fighter bays. Does an Aurora class warship for example have a puddle jumper bay or other type of Ancient fighter craft to assist the mother ship? Or could just the drones take care of all of the work that would need to be done by smaller fighter craft?

probably not, the puddle jumpers where more of for research then fighting, and about a different kind of ship, maybe, but not likely, the ancients would have needed a large crew, and the acients have never been much on the large numbers. and if they did have smaller attack ships aboard, and they didnt take them off before letting an awesome ship like that get destroyed, then they deserve to get a few years cut off their lives

Comment

PJ's were really more for defensive purposes. They only have a small amount of Drones compared to warship/city etc, so couldn't be used for taking out dozens of Darts etc at a time. Combine that with a default cloak then you can obviously see it's not used for fighting.

I don't think the Lanteans had fighters simply becuase they had the big powerful ships with the good shields etc. The 'Aurora' class ships look to have some sort of turret weapons along it's hull, so I would say they would have been used to take down any waves of incoming Darts.

That said though, I would still imagine them to have some sort of jumper bay just incase, not only for evacuation incase the ship was about to be destroyed but also to send/receive visitors etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
        PJ's were really more for defensive purposes. They only have a small amount of Drones compared to warship/city etc, so couldn't be used for taking out dozens of Darts etc at a time. Combine that with a default cloak then you can obviously see it's not used for fighting.

I don't think the Lanteans had fighters simply becuase they had the big powerful ships with the good shields etc. The 'Aurora' class ships look to have some sort of turret weapons along it's hull, so I would say they would have been used to take down any waves of incoming Darts.

That said though, I would still imagine them to have some sort of jumper bay just incase, not only for evacuation incase the ship was about to be destroyed but also to send/receive visitors etc.
        the ancinets probley dont have fighter given their small population the lose of one fighter cost much more to them then the lost of a dart to the wraith. Any how I dont see how a small number of lantean fighter can surive against a swarm of wraith darts

Comment

I could imagine the larger Ancient ships carried at least a jumper or two, or something similar. They would be handy for any number of things. But not fighters. The Ancients have absolutely no need for them, their drones fill that role, and do it much better than any piloted craft.

Comment

As Daniel Jackson put it the Ancients "did everything big". Why would they want a fighter when they can have a battleship. A jumper is only small so it can go through the gate.

Comment

The ori..

Spoiler:
              have fighters though and since they are evil ancients maybe they bear some similarity. That being said though their ships are built for war and not exploration.
              Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

The ancients had drones that could do much of what a fighter could do. I don't see the need for fighters unless you want to conquer worlds, and we know the ancients didn't want to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by stewsith
                  The ori..

Spoiler:
                  have fighters though and since they are evil ancients maybe they bear some similarity. That being said though their ships are built for war and not exploration.
                  Spoiler:
                  The Ori however send their followers into battle, not their own.

HERMIOD: 'Crap' indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by stewsith
                    The ori..

Spoiler:

Also the Ori ships seem to be built for a 'dog fight', unlike the Ancient ships which rely soely on their drones, which is a bad idea.
                    "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                    The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

The Ori are conquering worlds, they wnat to have survivers to worship them, thus they cannot simply blast the planet to hell from orbit , although if you get on the wrong side of them , the ancients however if were going to war were going to war not to enslvae, so fighters are not nescary(sp)

~Valtharus

...Valtharus of the Asuran...

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter

True, the Ancients were not that heavy in carrier-based fights. They relied on more very elaborate starships to do their fighting. Plus, with the drone weapon system, possesing a fighter screen is not necessary because the drones will function as one (ship to ship damage, air superiority, and defensive system) And these things dont require a crew.

Comment

Much like the Asgard, the Ancients with their lower population relied on science and technology rather than putting themselves or their underlings at risk during battle. The Ori have plenty of underlings and no qualms about putting their followers on the line.

Comment

y didnt the ancients just make a gene therapy and make it only for humans to use the fights and they could shut fighters off at any time if they tried to attack the ancients or even better make a protical in the ships not to attack latian targets

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

spoilers from BAMSR

Spoiler:
                              After Sheppard meets with the seven hives about the alliance to destroy the replicators and larrin(the traveler) drops out of hyperspace, she tells him to land in bay three. This suggests that aurora class ships have at least three separate bays for landing other ships

Comment

Working...
                              X