This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the origin of your user name

Okay, once again, ibwolf gave me an idea by explaining the story behind his username to me. Which was really interesting to read. Now, reading other people's usernames, I can't help but wonder about their "stories".

Of course, I know that a lot of you here have Stargate-related names that don't have to be explained, but even if so, I'd be interested in why you chose them.

There's another thread (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ight=usernames) on people (not) having changed their usernames when the new forum was created but only a few explained the meaning of their usernames there, so I hope it's okay to open a new thread.

Mine's a very boring one and easily explained: just put "The Matrix" and X-Files together.

I"m a freelance writer, and mine comes from the main character in what I'm working on right now. Major Magdelana Fischer, an East German signals intelligence officer in a alternate history/scifi/cold war setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
      I"m a freelance writer, and mine comes from the main character in what I'm working on right now. Major Magdelana Fischer, an East German signals intelligence officer in a alternate history/scifi/cold war setting.
      Wow. I think I'll have to get a new name if others here also have that meaningful names. Do you speak German? How did you get the idea of writing a sci-fi/cold war story at all (interesting mixture)?

Comment

Errr. I'm a musician. I had the handle "aschen" before I ever saw the Aschen SG-1. It means "ashes" in german. It's the also the latest music project I'm working on. Much much MUCH to my surprise, when the Aschen did in fact come about, I instantly fell in love. Not because of the same name, but because I think they really kick ass.

Comment

i use this name just about everywhere. except on my e-mail and a couple other things.

ithink that i first came up with Martouf Marty after hotmail decided to piss me off and just randomly delete one of my e-mails (the e-mail address where i got all the messages from yahoo groups). it was [email protected] but nooo....

actually, it was before that.... before i really got into stargate sg-1 i would always hang out in yahoo chat in this one room Movie Quoters where we would sometimes actually quote movies and guess them and all that (gimme a break i was about 9 or 10 years old at the time and everyone else was alot older). my first screen name was shark_faced (don't ask me why, i forget....) and then i forgot the password, and then i became duncan_bc_98 (i was born in Duncan, BC and the year that i made the account was 1998). then after Yahoo decided that kids under 13 had to get parental permission (with a credit card number) to keep their account, so i let that screenname die, and became duncan_bc_00...

then i got into stargate alot with the groups and forums and all that and i love Martouf so there was that, and then for some reason i tacked on Marty at the end (martouf_marty) and that's who i've been ever since. it would be kind of hard for me to change it because of my websites and all that (Martouf Marty's Webpage). so i don't bother. if i tried to come up with something else, it would be crap. i seem to be known alot (i believe ) as Martouf Marty, so no need for change lol.

.... though for some reason, with every screen name i have, everyone thinks i'm a BOY. i mean, Duncan, Martouf Marty... Duncan is in town in BC (on Vancouver island) where i was born. and Martouf is a character on SG-1, and Marty is short for Martouf.

so everyone: it's SHE or HER not HIS or HIM.
          Last edited by MartoufMarty; 27 August 2004, 08:29 AM.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
          Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by trinity1013
            Wow. I think I'll have to get a new name if others here also have that meaningful names. Do you speak German? How did you get the idea of writing a sci-fi/cold war story at all (interesting mixture)?
            I read German, I speak some German, but I wouldn't say I do either very well. Mostly that setting came about because it was what came out of my fingers when I sat down to type. Most of my background is in modern german history and somehow it got mixed in with my love of alternate history and science fiction. Right now it's written up as a role playing game... which my sister is kidding me about because I couldn't have chosen a medium less likely to make me any money

Aschen, I had figured your name came from the series, but that's actually quite cool, what sort of music do you work on?

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
              It means "ashes" in german.
              I know that, my mother tongue being German. But you don't really say that in German (at least I don't), so I actually didn't associate it with that. Means it's still unique, I guess. In sharp contrast to "trinity", which is really hackneyed.

Originally posted by aschen
              Much much MUCH to my surprise, when the Aschen did in fact come about, I instantly fell in love. Not because of the same name, but because I think they really kick ass.
              I believe that, must've been really cool. Like they stole your idea.

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
              .... though for some reason, with every screen name i have, everyone thinks i'm a BOY.
              Yeah, I thought so, too (sorry). "Marty" could be either, but "Martouf" is seen as a male character, so that's why.
              .... Duncan is in town in BC (on Vancouver island) where i was born.
              What I immediately associate (and pretty much the only thing I associate at all) with "Duncan" is the king from Macbeth, and he was not a queen either.
              But it's good you clarified it. Although that's pretty much the reason I didn't choose, say, "neo", instead of "trinity".

Comment

Very good movie Donnie Darko, about love, time travel, the living dead, superheros, giant evil rabbits and the end of the world.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/
                "Khattam-Shud," he said slowly, "is the Arch-Enemy
                of all Stories, even of Language itself. He is the Prince of
                Silence and the Foe of Speech. And because everything ends,
                because dreams end, stories end, life ends, at the finish
                of everything we use his name. 'It's finished,' we tell one
                another, 'it's over. Khattam-Shud: The End.'"

-excerpted from Haroun and the Sea of Stories,

Comment

In Japanese Shinto-mythology Izanami is a primordial goddess and personification of the Earth and darkness. Izanami ("the female who invites") is the wife and sister of Izanagi. Together they created Onogoro, the first island of the Japanese archipelago. She died giving birth to the fire god Kagutsuchi and since then she rules over the underworld.

Her husband went there to take her back with him, but she refused. By sealing the entrance to the underworld she tried to imprison him, but Izanagi managed to escape. Furious, Izanami vowed to kill one thousand of Izanagi's subjects a day, and Izanagi vowed to create fifteen hundred new ones a day.

I needed a name and decent background for a Goa'uld, and thus... I picked her.

Comment

Originally posted by donnie_darko
                    Very good movie Donnie Darko, about love, time travel, the living dead, superheros, giant evil rabbits and the end of the world.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/
                    dude, i love that movie.

have it on DVD.

eee... i should go try to watch that today...

if my cousins and aunties and uncles and all them don't show up today. house is gonna be packed if they do....

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

I read German, I speak some German, but I wouldn't say I do either very well.
                      Well, you know, if you need help - I'm a native speaker. I couldn't help you with modern German history, though, know next to nothing about it. Anyways, I wish you good luck with your role playing game, it sounds interesting to me.

Originally posted by donnie_darko
                      I saw that one only recently! A friend of mine recommended it and I really liked it. Really tragic ("some people are born with tragedy in their blood", right?) yet (in his own way) heroic character - good choice.

dude, i love that movie.
                      Perhaps you should change your username to "Gretchen", nobody will think you're boy then.

Comment

No... real story behind mine. I just made it up and thought it sounded cool.
                        sigpic
                        Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Izanami
                          In Japanese Shinto-mythology Izanami is a primordial goddess and personification of the Earth and darkness. Izanami ("the female who invites") is the wife and sister of Izanagi. Together they created Onogoro, the first island of the Japanese archipelago. She died giving birth to the fire god Kagutsuchi and since then she rules over the underworld.

Her husband went there to take her back with him, but she refused. By sealing the entrance to the underworld she tried to imprison him, but Izanagi managed to escape. Furious, Izanami vowed to kill one thousand of Izanagi's subjects a day, and Izanagi vowed to create fifteen hundred new ones a day.

I needed a name and decent background for a Goa'uld, and thus... I picked her.
                          All I can say about that is...cool.

Like some people, my handle originates from a story I'm writing/trying to write. It describes his powers, but I wanted it to be more unique that his painfully not unique superhero identities. Yes, its about superheroes. I'm weird. But its intended to be symbolic and stuff. Besides, all my characters are screwed up. Screwed up characters are more interesting.

I loved Donnie Darko! I bought the DVD out of a vending machine at the union. Even my brother loves that movie. He didn't like the director's cut though.

Comment

I just thought mine summed me up. I like spacey type things and I'm a bit of a minx I think it was inspired by a friend of mine who thought that a good name for a band would be 'Cheeky Biscuit Minx'. I almost used that but thought the word 'Space' tripped off the tongue better than 'Cheeky Biscuit'.
                            Oh honey. You say potato, I say vodka!

http://neuralgianostalgia.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would like to hear more about this character. For me it's very interesting how you imagine an East German to be. (I am one..... )

back to topic: My name is very simple. It's the german word for cat. I also use KuroinekO as nickname. This is japanese and means black cat. So it's nearly the same. The reason is that i love cats, they are such beautiful animals............
                              To be German is to do everything possible to the potatoe, and possibly one or two things more.

Comment

Working...
                              X