X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG1 - Hollywood Reporter: Anatomy of a Hit: Stargate SG-1

From The Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1003018898

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Anatomy of a hit: 'Stargate SG-1'

How did the 10-year-old show transcend the space-time continuum?

By Rebecca Ascher-Walsh

Its premise is based on an only moderately successful sci-fi feature. It has endured the loss of its lead actor and changes in time slots and channels, yet it still draws 2.2 million viewers each week. Perhaps it was simply in the stars for "Stargate SG-1" to become the longest-running sci-fi show on U.S. television to date, with its 200th episode airing tonight on the Sci Fi Channel.

The show has defied multiple attempts to kill it off and spawned an even higher-rated spinoff in "Stargate Atlantis" in 2004. Yet, the question of whether it's time to end the show's run pops up each season.

"I've been here for five years, and almost every year we've had the debate, 'Is this the last year?'" Sci Fi Channel executive vp and general manager David Howe says. "And every year, we say 'No, one more season, but next year is definitely the last.' We thought we'd pass the baton to 'Atlantis,' but all we've done is double money and our audience.'"

**snippity doo-dah**

Anatomy of a hit: 'Stargate SG-1'

Space race
    he planets fell into alignment when "Stargate" got into the
    merchandising game.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1003018897

Dialogue: Robert Cooper & Brad Wright
    After 200 episodes, these showrunners still adore their space opera
    but keep their tongues firmly in cheek.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1003018896

The SPFX files
    Craftspeople work to infinity and beyond on the equivalent of two
    creature-heavy, effects-laden features a week.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1003018895

Cyber space
    The Internet keeps 'SG-1' fans informed, in touch -- and might have
    helped keep the show on-air.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1003018894

Published Aug. 18, 2006

© 2006 VNU eMedia, Inc.

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

Morjana
    Attached Files
    Last edited by morjana; 18 August 2006, 12:19 AM.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Cool article, although there were one or two mistakes. However, it sounds like even if SciFi cancels SG-1 that MGM will try and keep it going.

Comment

Originally posted by TheUnknown
      Cool article, although there were one or two mistakes. However, it sounds like even if SciFi cancels SG-1 that MGM will try and keep it going.
      MGM will go with what makes them money, and a new show, sad to say, would be cheaper as you could go back to MUCh lower salaries, which actually has been the reason for bumping off some shows on the border (ratings-wise).

Comment

Originally posted by prion
        MGM will go with what makes them money, and a new show, sad to say, would be cheaper as you could go back to MUCh lower salaries, which actually has been the reason for bumping off some shows on the border (ratings-wise).
        It at least sounds like that MGM will try to keep the franchise going no matter what SciFi does.

Comment

Thank for the link, morjana.

5 and a half hours to go, kids!!!!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheUnknown
            It at least sounds like that MGM will try to keep the franchise going no matter what SciFi does.

You see, that I might not be completely happy about. Sometimes keeping the franchise alive is good - I loved TNG and DS9 on the Star Trek front, for example. But so far I care much less for Atlantis than I ever did SG1, so whil I would probably watch another spin off, at least at first... I'd like to see SG1 continue. I know it can't be forever. But at least a tad bit more.
            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
            Yes, I am!
            sigpic
            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I have the Aug. 18-20, 2006 issue of The Hollywood Reporter, scanned the congratulatory ads for Stargate SG-1's 200th episode, and thought I'd share them with ya'll.

To order a back issue of the magazine:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...ial_issues.jsp

Here's how to buy an issue of The Hollywood Reporter:

Puchases are by check, in U.S. dollars. Sorry, no credit card orders. Send your order to Library, The Hollywood Reporter, 5055 Wilshire Blvd. 6th Floor, Los Angeles, CA. 90036-4396 -- Attention back issues.

Make checks payable to The Hollywood Reporter. Indicate the date of the issue [in this case, Aug. 18-20, 2006]. If you don't know the date, contact the library at (323) 525-2087. Hours are 10 a.m.-6 p.m. (PT). You may want to check the special issues calendar

The cost per issue is $6.95, including special issues if they were contained within the regular edition of The Hollywood Reporter. This includes shipping and handling. Outside the United States the price per issue is $10.

If the special issue was a stand-alone (not part of the regular edition), the cost is $8.95. Outside the United States the price is $12 per issue. Examples of our most popular stand-alone issues are Cannes, MIPCOM, MIFED, Film & TV Music, Independent Producers and Women in Entertainment.

You may order a specific article from our library. There is a fee for locating and faxing articles that varies depending on the article. Contact the library for details at library at hollywoodreporter.com or call (323) 525-2087.

Now, on to the Congratulatory Ads:

BRIDGE STUDIOS

More to follow.

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

More congratulatory ads -- this one is from Richard Dean Anderson:

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

A congratulatory ad to the cast and crew from the producers:

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

From Rainmaker:

From Spinpro:

From Image Engine:

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

From the cast to the producers, writers and crew:

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

From Sharpe Sound Studios:

From Rothman Brecher Agency (representing the producers):

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
                          From the cast to the producers, writers and crew:

Morjana
                          Oh wow thankyou for sharing Mojana, seeing all of that has made me feel proud to be a fan of such a special show and i raise my glass to the future of this very special show may it continue on in what ever way tptb might take it!
                          ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
                            Oh wow thankyou for sharing Mojana, seeing all of that has made me feel proud to be a fan of such a special show and i raise my glass to the future of this very special show may it continue on in what ever way tptb might take it!

You're very welcome.

I still have a couple of more ads to post to this thread. Look for them later today.

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Thanks for posting this! I didn't think the ads had made it into an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X