Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the Altantis team MOD a Puddle Jumper with a ZPM ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could the Altantis team MOD a Puddle Jumper with a ZPM ?

Was thinking that Altantis always uses the Puddle Jumpers for traveling throw the STARGATE to other Worlds .

The problem with the Jumper is that the Altantis team aways has to worry about the Wraith and now the Asurans ... Wouldnt a ZPM Powered Puddle Jumper give them more powerful Shields and a Faster Puddle Jumper for getting away from the enemy ...

I know this would work if they had more ZPMs to use , but if they did do you think it would be a smart way to use a ZPM ... If they had plenty to go around ..

I think it would make it explode dude. Think about this. A PJ runs on, lets say the ancient equivalent of a car battery. Now we're going to hook it up to its own nuclear power plant and crank up the juice. What happens to that poor little jumper and anyone unfortunate enough to be in it?

The best you could hope for would probably be that the ZPM would be smart enough not to give it to much power at once. That would mean it would be probably more or less like a normal jumper but with a battery power reserve that would last it for a few billion years.

Comment

ROAD TRIP!!!

With raging fuel prices, what better way to save money than to switch to alternative - "universe in a bottle" power? Lasts a life time, in fact, a hundred million years or so. Make the switch to ZPM power today.

Comment

lol

theoretically it could be possible, I mean the ammount of power argument is true for atlantis also, they have safety protocals installed which "holds back the energy like a dam" so if interfaced with a jumper one would persume that Rodney would think of something and not stop harping on about how good he is because he could create something like that. But, super shields and possibly a faster ship would make it too easy for the atlantis crew and ruin the tv show. Thats why we never get a more advanced ship for long in either tv show.
        I'm sorry but am I the only one who appreciates how totally screwed we really are!?

Rodney you destroyed 3 quaters of a solar sytem!
        5 sixths, look it's not an exact science
        Do you ever give your ego a rest?!

Maybe my mind just conjoured you up for one last romp before i die
        *raises eyebrow*
        Ok, ok one first romp

Comment

One thing that always bothers me is that the puddle jumper has no hyperdrive in the first place. I know it's meant for gate travel but even freaking Jaffa Cargo Ships have hyperdrive! Also, the stargates aren't everywhere, what happens when you want to travel to another planet in the solar system? (which they already have done and it takes hours rather than a possible few seconds). It never seems to make much sense to me, oh well.

Back on topic, a ZPM wouldn't make much difference if the ship doesn't actually need more power. As someone already said, it would just be like an unlimited power supply rather than boost the abilites of the puddle jumper it self.

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Chas2006
            One thing that always bothers me is that the puddle jumper has no hyperdrive in the first place. I know it's meant for gate travel but even freaking Jaffa Cargo Ships have hyperdrive! Also, the stargates aren't everywhere, what happens when you want to travel to another planet in the solar system? (which they already have done and it takes hours rather than a possible few seconds). It never seems to make much sense to me, oh well.

Back on topic, a ZPM wouldn't make much difference if the ship doesn't actually need more power. As someone already said, it would just be like an unlimited power supply rather than boost the abilites of the puddle jumper it self.

Charlie
            Precisely. I like your post so I'll give you green in a mo (after submitting this reply).

I think the PJ's are incredibly un-advanced to be honest. As you said, where's the hyper drive?

According to the thread starter, a ZPM would increase PJ shields... Does a PJ actually have ANY shields? - I've not noticed any - which is rather strange considering the Ancients were supposed to be the masters of shield technology.

I don't like the PJ's. They seem way to unadvanced for a city that is supposed to be so incredible. Also, why the heck is the stargate in the control room? - When a wraith dart fires a energy weapon shot through, it hists the stair case in the control room - Where's the shielding? More to the point, what happens if they dont raise the shield quick enough and a wraith dart flies through at top speed? - Boom, the control tower is dead. The dart will hit the stair case and either fly right through or blow everything sky high.

The stargate should of been located on a pier somewhere out of harms way - Not right in the middle of the main control tower - It puts the entire city at risk.

If you ask me, the Ancients were no where near as clever (or thoughtful) as we've been led to beleive.

With regards to the ZPM issue, I don't think it would overload a PJ at all. Remember electronic devices DRAW power from the source. The power source doesn't pump power into the device - otherwise batteries would toast the watch on your wrist. Mains transformers would not say "Maximum current 800 mA" etc. The device will draw the power it requires. Same with the PJ, it will take the energy it needs. Same with Atlantis - It draws power as it needs it.

-T

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

puddlejumpers do have shields. it just in form of a cloak. u could switch from cloak to shields but shields deplete energy much more faster than cloak. which hence is the reason y the atlantis team doesnt use shields on puddle jumpers. but if u put a zpm darn rite we can hae shields for a dam long time lol. but cloak is much better for missionss than shields.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsownall
                which hence is the reason y the atlantis team doesnt use shields on puddle jumpers.
                So if they don't use the shields, do you actually know that they exist on PJs? - I have never once seen a PJ with a shield or even heard it mentioned in any episode.

-T

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Turboz
                  So if they don't use the shields, do you actually know that they exist on PJs? - I have never once seen a PJ with a shield or even heard it mentioned in any episode.

-T
                  Didn't Zelenka turn the cloak into a shield when they had to go fish McKay out from the ocean floor?

Comment

This brings up the question of what do the PJ's run on at all -- They can seemingly hold their power for thousands of years, much like stargates. Are they crystal-powered? Have we every really seen what makes 'em go? I don't think so.

Comment

jumpers dont have shields, they only have a cloak (although the technologies ar similar thats why zelenka was, eventually, able to make the conversion and thats why they can clock atlantis now).

i assume the jumpers were meant for short range hops either across the planet or between ships or as personell carriers to other planets. saying thei aren't advanced is like complaining the cargo ships arent advanced just cos they had those huge motherships. it didnt need hyperdrive so resources werent wasted on it.

they CAN run out of power as mckay was almost the victim of, i assume the city recharges them or they have some facility to recharge themselves when powered down...

Comment

Originally posted by genome
                        jumpers dont have shields, they only have a cloak (although the technologies ar similar thats why zelenka was, eventually, able to make the conversion and thats why they can clock atlantis now).

i assume the jumpers were meant for short range hops either across the planet or between ships or as personell carriers to other planets. saying thei aren't advanced is like complaining the cargo ships arent advanced just cos they had those huge motherships. it didnt need hyperdrive so resources werent wasted on it.

they CAN run out of power as mckay was almost the victim of, i assume the city recharges them or they have some facility to recharge themselves when powered down...
                        Go watch Grace Under Pressure. Zelenka mods the cloak into a shield.

Best Stargate quote:
                        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                        Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                          Go watch Grace Under Pressure. Zelenka mods the cloak into a shield.
                          i said that. and thats also why they can cloack atlantis. dont correct me by telling me something that i said...

Comment

i said that. and thats also why they can cloack atlantis. dont correct me by telling me something that i said...
                            Well, I couldn't tell what you were trying to say because you didn't complete some of your sentences.

Best Stargate quote:
                            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                            Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                              Well, I couldn't tell what you were trying to say because you didn't complete some of your sentences.
                              Whats the problem?
                              genome quite clearly said:

What (apart from the lack of grammer) is the real problem here? - Please don't try to initiate a flame war - It isn't needed.

-T

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Working...
                              X