This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puddle Jumpers Drones And the Chair.

Ok this may or may not hav been covered im not sure but to me it seems to be a valid point of discussion.

As we know the power requirements for the "chair" are enormous and can only realistically be powered by zpm (although a Mach II naquadriah enhanced nuclear generator did work to some effect). Why does the chair need such great power requirements? as far as we know all it does it fire drones and make some colourfull lighting effects.

Yet a simple Puddle jumper that does not contain a zpm is able to fire drones Rapidally and with out depleting it power source. Would not then a single puddle jumper or small wing of them with a sufficent stock of drones be able to defend earth in an equivalent mannor to the chair in antartica? i realise that a puddle jumper can only fire a max of 3 drones at a time(that ive seen) and the chair can fire dozens if not hundred at a time but obviousally 100 drones at a single target is over kill.

On the subject of Puddle jumpers is their any information on their power source? they seem to have lasted indefinatally and ( as far as i have seen ) they have never needed to be "recharged or refulled"

Discuss

plot?
    A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyFox
      plot?

plot? whats that? this is the science and tech forum thats a lame excuse im sure we can some up with something better than that

Comment

Perhaps the jumpers are automaticlly recharged upon landing in the jumper-bay at Atlantis??

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar.
          Perhaps the jumpers are automaticlly recharged upon landing in the jumper-bay at Atlantis??
          That sounds like the most likely explanation.

With regards to the ZPM issue I'm guessing that the ZPM also has to charge the drones prior to launching them. Not only that, but in Lost City pt2, it probably had to power the entire tower (which was all under ice) and it's subsystems, drone loaders, drone racks etc. Then of course you've got the intense super computing power to control them all and program them all etc, all while the rings can be operated at the same time..

In Atlantis, there's supposed to be 3 ZPM's so I'm guessing that they all do pretty similar things. If you look carefully at big pics of Atlantis you will see that 3 of the 6 piers have a drone silo at the edge. I'm guessing that the silo's make use of one ZPM each, and that any left over energy is divided equally and used by the rest of Atlantis.

Do we actually know how many Chair's atlantis has? - We've seen one, but we've also only seen one silo open and launch drones. Perhaps the other 2 have individual chairs?

-T

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Well, I don't think you can compare the chair and the PJ's. We've never seen a Puddle Jumper fire more than three drones at the same time, while the chair controls thousands of drones at the same time.

But here's my point. It's been said that the chair platform was specifically DESIGNED to be powered by a ZPM. It doesn't say that they have to be powered by them. We've seen in Allies that you don't need a ZPM to fire lots of drones, Orion did it just fine without. So in my opinion, it's more design than necessity.
            It does, however, needs lots of power. As long as you can interface a big enough power source, you can activate the chair.
            *And that's all I have to say about that*

Comment

ownd
              A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar.
                That can't be right... if we remember a little summat from The Tower...
                Spoiler:
                The Puddle Jumpers in the jumper-bay of that other place (for lack of a better word) ran out of power "long ago" and as far as I can tell have been sitting in the jumper-bay ever since...

To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Comment

The Chair Plat form is designed to be able to control MASSIVE amounts of drones, much more then the Orion and the Puddle Jumpers use. The Chair is able to interface with the Users mind, and the User can control THOUSANDS of drones to specific targets. With Thirty or so ships, you must pick the targets, and EACH drone must be told where to go, and that takes a lot of power with there being so many drones.

If you watch "No Mans Land" you will see that the drones are not all together like they are in "The Lost City Part II", this most likely means they were set on an automatic target and just persued it, no mental interface or specific targeting.

To understand what I mean, you must have watched "The Lost City Part II"
                  Save SG-1! Sign the Petition!
                  http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

A diesel engine doesn't run on gasoline, and the chair is designed for ZPMs

Comment

Originally posted by PSp2gamer
                      The Chair Plat form is designed to be able to control MASSIVE amounts of drones, much more then the Orion and the Puddle Jumpers use. The Chair is able to interface with the Users mind, and the User can control THOUSANDS of drones to specific targets. With Thirty or so ships, you must pick the targets, and EACH drone must be told where to go, and that takes a lot of power with there being so many drones.

If you watch "No Mans Land" you will see that the drones are not all together like they are in "The Lost City Part II", this most likely means they were set on an automatic target and just persued it, no mental interface or specific targeting.

To understand what I mean, you must have watched "The Lost City Part II"
                      Why would that be any different, Warships would need just as much as Atlantis & perhaps even more being that they would see a lot more action & be used for a more offensive role.

In 'TS', Shep uses the chair with a MII to target & take our dozens of individual Drones. In NML it's much more likely to be the user who was firing them. We know by default that they can take out a target on their own. In 'TLCII' they were controlled by an actual ancient mind, so they obviously were used to 100% of their abilities, whereas Lorne was most likely a first time user, so didn't have the expertise or skill to maximise their effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
                        Why would that be any different, Warships would need just as much as Atlantis & perhaps even more being that they would see a lot more action & be used for a more offensive role.

In 'TS', Shep uses the chair with a MII to target & take our dozens of individual Drones. In NML it's much more likely to be the user who was firing them. We know by default that they can take out a target on their own. In 'TLCII' they were controlled by an actual ancient mind, so they obviously were used to 100% of their abilities, whereas Lorne was most likely a first time user, so didn't have the expertise or skill to maximise their effect.
                        Did you notice how Lorne was standing by Zelenka (sp?) when the Drones were fired? Also, Shepard was only controlling a few dozen drones, not Thousands. I do agree that lesser power sources can help to a smaller effect, but the ZPM is needed for FULL functionality as seen in TLCII.
                        Save SG-1! Sign the Petition!
                        http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

Working...
                        X