Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the Connection Always "Sub-Space"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is the Connection Always "Sub-Space"?

Why is it that the communication between unstoppable collective consciousness machines, like the Borg, the Replicaters, and the Asurans, is always a "Sub-Space connection"? Is this just because the writers are copying off of each other, or is there some kind of scientific theoretical explanation for the pattern?
    Last edited by Liam Kincaid; 13 August 2006, 01:09 AM. Reason: Repeated Word

It's impossible to go faster than light in normal space. With subspace, the distance traveled is less than that of normal space so 1 meter in subspace is like 1,000 meters in normal space.

Comment

Sci-fi writers have to use something like 'sub-space' (though I admit they should be more imaginative with the name) because according to our current understanding of science, there is no way to transmit information faster than the speed of light.

In fiction, sub-space is some sort of extra-dimensional realm in which either the laws of physics as they exist in normal space, allowing for faster than light communication (i.e. photons or whatever medium they are using for transmission have infinate velocity in sub-space), or a underlying extra-dimensional realm that is significantly more compressed than our space-time but still has correlating spatical positions to our universe. (For example, if I were to transmit a signal 1km through sub-space, it could be recieved a thousand light years away here in normal space or something to that end.)

I'm still quite a bit confused myself on the difference between hyperspace and sub-space in the SG universe.

Comment

Subspace is just one of those terms everyone understands, so why come up with a different term and explain it's pretty much the same as subspace?
        *And that's all I have to say about that*

Comment

Uh actuallyt I think that hyperspace uses sub space and it's the way we use and form the means of travel that makes it hyperspace.
          When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
          Zatnikitelman

Comment

In most shows there are numerous regions of 'subspace'. 'Hyperspace' is one particular region where it has properties allowing physical objects to travel farther than they would under the same force in normal space.
            "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by OriWillKillUsAll
              I'm still quite a bit confused myself on the difference between hyperspace and sub-space in the SG universe.
              Or how about the difference between hyperdrive and star drive? In the latest episode of Atlantis... I believe Niam says that they were opening a hyperspace window to which McKay replied something along the lines of "of course... the stardrive!"

It would seem that hyperdrive and star drive do the exact same thing? Why two different names?

Ace
              "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by OriWillKillUsAll
                The terms are used interchangably in stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                  Or how about the difference between hyperdrive and star drive? In the latest episode of Atlantis... I believe Niam says that they were opening a hyperspace window to which McKay replied something along the lines of "of course... the stardrive!"

It would seem that hyperdrive and star drive do the exact same thing? Why two different names?

Ace
                  Why is a PC also called a computer? Why do you call a bullet a slug? Is it a casing, or a jacket? Am I wearing a tee-shirt, or a t-shirt? Is that a dust cloth or a dust rag? If cars have engines, why is Detroit called "Motor City?"

You can have more than one name for something.

In Stargate, subspace and hyperspace are the same thing. They're higher dimensions in which the laws of physics are different, chiefly, the speed of light is much higher. As for why they call it subspace communications and hyperspace travel, it simply makes it easier to distinguish between the two different modes of using the same space.

I'll give a day-to-day example. In television, you have broadcast towers, which transmit signals to recievers. We could just as easily say that they are trasmission towers, which broadcast signals. And you occasionally hear the same process referred to that way. But that's not the way I learned it.

In Star Trek, the same rules apply. However, they use gravitational warping of our space-time to facilitate travel, so you never have them entering hyperspace as a mode of transportation.

I can't remember what mode of communication they used in Babylon 5, but they used hyperspace for travel in that setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                    Stardrive refers to the type of FTL drive be it hyperdrive, warp drive....

Best Stargate quote:
                    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                    Green is your friend.

Comment

Subspace is the fictional name for Hyperspace.

There's nothing 'Below' Space, They're's Something 'above' it though, hence 'Hyper'.

It's funny how they use they named Hyperspace with the exact opposite of what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by rob1990
                        I don't think that is correct. You need to open a wormhole to go through hyperspace, but you don't need one for a sub-space link.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Kincaid
                          You need to open a wormhole to go through hyperspace, but you don't need one for a sub-space link.
                          That is not a wormhole (if it was then hyperspace travel would be as fast as going through a stargate). It is called a hyperspace window. Which is an opening that connects real space to hyperspace(a.k.a. subspace).

Comment

Originally posted by Ace

Ace
                            Actually, Mckay said that before, when they noticed they were on space. The "Stardrive" is merely the City's engine, that's how it's called. It's not a warp drive of a hyperspace engine, it's just the "engine" that allows the ship to fly.

Nope, Hyperspace and Subspace are most definetley not interchangable in Stargate. As terms at the very least.

Comment

That is not a wormhole (if it was then hyperspace travel would be as fast as going through a stargate). It is called a hyperspace window. Which is an opening that connects real space to hyperspace(a.k.a. subspace).
                              Okay, that sounds right. A hyperspace window is not the same as a wormhole. I see that now But I still don't think sub-space and hyperspace are the same thing, not in the Stargates or in the Treks. The Replicaters, the Assurans, the Borg, and the Wraith don't need to open a window to maintain their "sub-space links". But ships entering into hyperspace do need to open a window. So hyperspace and sub-space must be different. Unless! Unless, maybe, energy and/or information can pass through sub-space without opening a hyperspace window, but matter ( for example a ship and crew ) need the hyperspace window to travel through sub-space?

Comment

Working...
                              X