Clear All

Mission Genesis (Deepwater Black)

Through the vastness of space
    a single ship carrying a crew of six
    speeds towards earth.
    This is the story of their mission:
    to restore human life to a home
    they have never known...

It was one of Scifi Channel's first series, and the one that never seemed to exist. The website was removed and after its initial showing from 1997-98 it was never seen from again. I just think the show deserves a little justice. It had a great stroyline and a lot of potential but never got the chance to shine. I was just wondering how many of you use to watch Deepwater Black or atleast heard of it in some form.
    "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
    The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

I loved that show while it lasted. Loved wossname who went on to play Harper on Andromeda, too. Interesting premise, if cheesily handled.

Comment

It had Gordon Michael Woolvett and Nicole de Boer in it. I will admit, some of it was cheesy but I still enjoyed watching it.

Atleast someone has seen the show. On tv.com it only has 16 or so votes...it got left behind

Comment

I remember, I tried to watch it when I could, but it was hard to get scifi at that time
        Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Hmmm, truthfully, I don't remember this series. Anyone care to share more details of it?
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I might be able to help, it took a while but I managed a few years ago to find some of the information on scifi.com before they removed it. I even copied the 1997, Science Fiction Weekly that reviewed SG-1 and Mission Genesis together!
            I also have the trailer but lack a way to show you, along with pictures.

Here is the review from that weekly.

In the series premiere of Mission Genesis (entitled "Awakening") a young woman (deBoer) awakens in a strange place. She doesn't know what her name is or who she is. She soon finds Reb (Woolvett) and remembers that her name is Yuna, but neither of them know where they are. However, they do know they are in trouble: They are under attack by something or someone.

As the two rush to find some sort of help, they discover they are on a starship and they are being attacked by another craft. When the ship's computer goes off line they also find out they are the crew, and it's up to them to figure out how to fight back. Sitting down at the computer consoles, they somehow know what to do, and enough memory returns to allow them to temporarily escape the attacking ship.

After that, four other crew members awaken, but all are suffering from memory loss. With the computer off line and the attacking ship hot on their trail, they all must quickly figure out what they need to do to survive and worry about why they are on the ship later. But who will lead them and will they figure it out in time?

In the second episode ("Lullaby"), Zak (Craig Kirkwood) gets the ship's computer, Gen, back on line, only to have Gen's holographic computer image (Julie Khaner) insist that the crew return to cryogenic sleep so they can complete their mission. She's very intent and will make sure they do it one way or another. With Gen still damaged from the attack, the crew must figure out a way to repair her, learn what their mission is, and discover who they really are.

Promising but short
            Mission Genesis is The Sci-Fi Channel's first original dramatic series. Executive Producers Wilf Copeland and Alex Nassar have stirred up a solid first effort with a fair premise, decent computer-generated special effects and a talented cast.

The premise deals with subjects including space travel, cloning, the possible destruction of the human race and a holographic computer image: Nothing new to the savvy SF audience. However, Mission Genesis plays out nicely and the first two episodes were well written and directed. Judging by these episodes and descriptions of future shows, there are hints that the storyline will become more complicated and involving as the series progresses. Only time will tell.

At this point the show's biggest strength lies with the promising cast. DeBoer's Yuna, as the ship's navigator, and Woolvett's Reb, as the crew's leader, are especially strong. The rest of the cast hasn't had much air time yet, but the series should have plenty of time to develop their characters.

Seldom has the half-hour format worked well for a dramatic series, and that's the biggest drawback to Mission Genesis. Just when the action starts the episode is over and it's a week before the next. The format also hinders any kind of involved story line from developing over the short span of one episode. To the series' credit, it appears to be somewhat episodic in nature, which should help draw in a loyal science fiction audience.

Mission Genesis is promising even in its half-hour format. With an hour per show it could be a strong contender. -- Kathie

Edit: Forgot the other half of the review. Sorry for that.
            Last edited by RedGuard; 13 August 2006, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedGuard
              I might be able to help, it took a while but I managed a few years ago to find some of the information on scifi.com before they removed it. I even copied the 1997, Science Fiction Weekly that reviewed SG-1 and Mission Genesis together!
              I also have the trailer but lack a way to show you, along with pictures.

Here is the review from that weekly.

In the series premiere of Mission Genesis (entitled "Awakening") a young woman (deBoer) awakens in a strange place. She doesn't know what her name is or who she is. She soon finds Reb (Woolvett) and remembers that her name is Yuna, but neither of them know where they are. However, they do know they are in trouble: They are under attack by something or someone.

As the two rush to find some sort of help, they discover they are on a starship and they are being attacked by another craft. When the ship's computer goes off line they also find out they are the crew, and it's up to them to figure out how to fight back. Sitting down at the computer consoles, they somehow know what to do, and enough memory returns to allow them to temporarily escape the attacking ship.

After that, four other crew members awaken, but all are suffering from memory loss. With the computer off line and the attacking ship hot on their trail, they all must quickly figure out what they need to do to survive and worry about why they are on the ship later. But who will lead them and will they figure it out in time?

In the second episode ("Lullaby"), Zak (Craig Kirkwood) gets the ship's computer, Gen, back on line, only to have Gen's holographic computer image (Julie Khaner) insist that the crew return to cryogenic sleep so they can complete their mission. She's very intent and will make sure they do it one way or another. With Gen still damaged from the attack, the crew must figure out a way to repair her, learn what their mission is, and discover who they really are.
              Thanks for that, RedGuard.
              sigpic
              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Wasn't it figured out in the first ep or so that they were clones of the original crew and that the ship's comp (Gen) had been instructed to grow/de-hibernate/whatever said clones if the original crew was killed? Only damage to Gen meant she couldn't "remember" what had happened and there were significant gaps in the memories of the cloned crew as well? Whether they were popped out too soon or had an incomplete memory writing or whatever- they didn't really know who they were or what they were supposed to do but eventually started remembering things- like how to do their jobs.

For some reason I think their ultimate mission was either one of rescue for their ravaged homeworld or one of repopulation for similar reasons, but it's been forever since I've seen the show.

Comment

Well, if the teaser for the series that i uploaded to Youtube.com stops processing, everyone can get an idea of what the show was.

They had to repopulate the Earth since their donors were the only ones who couldn't get the plague. They were copied several times over and numerous ships sent into space to make a journey back once the Earth had time to either allow the plague to die out or everyone on Earth was dead and gone.

They started remembering slowly with flashbacks. I also remember the plague was put aboard the ship and was accidently let loose and nearly killed everyone (to test that they were immune). Grr....been so long, I can't remember! I think they did pop out of hibernation to soon.

Comment

Ok, I gave up on Youtube.com and used photobucket.com. I uploaded the teaser and 11 pictures I had.http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n...nt=genesis.flv Hope this helps jog some memories!

Edit: Got the teaser posted to youtube.com http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEQXJtgLDsU
                    Last edited by RedGuard; 13 August 2006, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedGuard
                      Ok, I gave up on Youtube.com and used photobucket.com. I uploaded the teaser and 11 pictures I had.http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n...nt=genesis.flv Hope this helps jog some memories!
                      Much appreciated, RedGuard. I still don't remember this show though. That's strange for me not to.
                      sigpic
                      "...phu...ah..."

Comment

saw the series 7 or so years ago
                        The show sucked, way to cheesy and bad

Comment

I saw a few episodes, but I don't recall how many.
                          The show wasn't good, in my opinion, they were trying too hard to be Star Trek and almost everything I loved about the original story was written out.

Deepwater Trilogy was actually a book series first and I'd read them all before discovered the televised adaption.

Also, I'm very uncertain about the casting decisions, specifically Nicole De Boer.
                          The book describes Yoona as tall and blonde, so why did they cast someone short and dark?

By the way, it was actually a plot point in the original novel, Yoona is tall because she was genetically engineered for physical strength.
                          The rest of the crew also had role specific modifications, although very few of the enchancements applied to crewing a starship.
                          Gret is the only one I think who had relevant skills, she was designed as a high intelligence tech operator and was allocated to navigation.

But I think that plot element was one of the first to be removed, most likely because the enhancements came with color coding and that would require dying the acting cast every episode.
                          For example, Gret has green skin and hair!
                          Yoona looked more normal, the only hint she wasn't completely was a red streak in her hair.
                          The other colors were red and blue.

Comment

Working...
                          X