This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Atlantis on DVD

Does anyone happen to know if SGA will be released on DVD? I'm hoping so since SG-1 has been, but I haven't been able to find any info on that. So far I've been saving all the episodes on my satellite DVR so I can burn my own DVD's if needed, but I'm running out of hard drive space.

My main concern is just that I would prefer to stop watching it now and watch the DVD's when they come out because I'm paying $18.95 CDN (per month!) to get the channel that SGA is on, and that's the only thing I watch on that channel (Sci-Fi isn't available in Canada so I must subscribe to the "Movie Central" suite of channels). This means I'd have to pay $227 per year just to WATCH SGA, then (of course) I'll want to buy the DVD's anyway if/when they come out ($57 each if priced like SG-1). I've already collected all seasons of SG-1 so far on DVD.

So, if anyone has heard anything official about SGA coming out on DVD, please reply! Thanks!

P.S. It would also be nice if the DVD release will have english subtitles because they come in handy when you miss a bit of dialog (SG-1 DVD's don't have subtitles). Does anyone else here have trouble understanding Rodney McKay sometimes when he talks fast? The closed-captioning is available on the broadcasts but I lose that info when I capture the episodes to my computer to burn DVD's.

I'm certain they'll release it, but it's a little too early yet. They probably won't release it until around this time next year when Atlantis has finished airing. So don't get your hopes up too much.
    __

__

Comment

Yea I wouldnt really doubt for a second they arent going to release them. But it will take awhile like Anubis said.
      When I wake up..I think of you Steve.
      I miss you.
      Please...please come back one day.

(Steve the Wraith from Season 1)

Comment

*hits head on keyboard*

the show is 5 episodes old, and you're already asking when it's coming out on DVD? it took years for SG-1 to get start with the DVD making.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
        Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

hey, and if you don't really wanna pay all that money for the channels just to watch Atlantis, download the episodes. we have a big C-Band satelite dish and if we wanted to, we could buy the Sci-fi channel to watch SG-1 but we don't because it'll cost too much. so i download the episodes. not the greatest quality, but it's better than nothing. i buy the DVDs anyways.

we watch alot of stuff on the movie channels. we had it before Atlants, and we will have it after.
          Last edited by MartoufMarty; 12 August 2004, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I am guessing the Atlantis DVD will come at around October next year, but don't quote me on that.
            Secret LUELinks Agent!
            …………………………………………………. __ . __
            ……………………………………………….../’`: : `\,---`.„
            ………………………………………………../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_
            ………………„~*¯¯`”\,………... _„_………( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-,
            ……………../ : •: (“,.~;*’¯¯¯”\, (_,-- ``”~,….\ : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : `\
            ………….....| : • :,/`,-*~;~••-„,/ (‘` ``)/• ,…\.,/` : : :_„„,: : : : : : : : : : : \
            …………….| : • / ,/`,--\ \’`c\,---„1 ‹’`--(_ ,/ / : : :,/` • • ): : : : : : : : : : : |
            ……………..) : µ’` .\ (c) `¯ . . •`), . ,-~`.. \ : : :| • • '”\, : : : : : : : : : : :/
            ……………/` ,/_~-, .`;;`„-„,__,./, ```/……. `\: :\ • • • • `*-.,_ : : : : : :,-‘
            ……………`-/¨;--;~’ `”*-=,=-_`” ,) ,/`……….`› : `\, • • • • • • ¯”~---,--`
            …„„………__\, • ‘, • . . . `\„_,/ ,/;-;_ ……. /` ` | ./ • • • • • • • • „-“
            .( :•`\,-~*`¯ • • •`¯` `~--~*~---~;/`,-~*```*--, `1` / : | • • • ,---~*”`
            . \•:••:”*~-,,„„____„„,.-~”`¯¯¯¯/ / • • • • • ‘\,) , / : :| • • • •\
            …`”’~-,„„„„„„,,~‘`` . ( • • • ,.__| | • • • •, `\„„/ ,/`: : / • • • • •|

Comment

Originally posted by Xerxus
              I am guessing the Atlantis DVD will come at around October next year, but don't quote me on that.
              It could take a few extra months, it is a new series after all.

...don't ask me what that has to do with anything, it just seemed relevent to say.
              sigpic

Comment

The reason Stargate's dvds came so late was because DVDs weren't that popular back then. When they were popular, they wanted to release the DVD sets with some time apart to prevent sales clashes. I would expect them to be released together if there was a season 9.

If there isn't, MGM would be wise to release the Atlantis DVDs several months after season 8, just so the sales of the dvd won't conflict each other.
                Secret LUELinks Agent!
                …………………………………………………. __ . __
                ……………………………………………….../’`: : `\,---`.„
                ………………………………………………../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_
                ………………„~*¯¯`”\,………... _„_………( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-,
                ……………../ : •: (“,.~;*’¯¯¯”\, (_,-- ``”~,….\ : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : `\
                ………….....| : • :,/`,-*~;~••-„,/ (‘` ``)/• ,…\.,/` : : :_„„,: : : : : : : : : : : \
                …………….| : • / ,/`,--\ \’`c\,---„1 ‹’`--(_ ,/ / : : :,/` • • ): : : : : : : : : : : |
                ……………..) : µ’` .\ (c) `¯ . . •`), . ,-~`.. \ : : :| • • '”\, : : : : : : : : : : :/
                ……………/` ,/_~-, .`;;`„-„,__,./, ```/……. `\: :\ • • • • `*-.,_ : : : : : :,-‘
                ……………`-/¨;--;~’ `”*-=,=-_`” ,) ,/`……….`› : `\, • • • • • • ¯”~---,--`
                …„„………__\, • ‘, • . . . `\„_,/ ,/;-;_ ……. /` ` | ./ • • • • • • • • „-“
                .( :•`\,-~*`¯ • • •`¯` `~--~*~---~;/`,-~*```*--, `1` / : | • • • ,---~*”`
                . \•:••:”*~-,,„„____„„,.-~”`¯¯¯¯/ / • • • • • ‘\,) , / : :| • • • •\
                …`”’~-,„„„„„„,,~‘`` . ( • • • ,.__| | • • • •, `\„„/ ,/`: : / • • • • •|

Comment

The reason Stargate's dvds came so late was because DVDs weren't that popular back then. When they were popular, they wanted to release the DVD sets with some time apart to prevent sales clashes. I would expect them to be released together if there was a season 9.

If there isn't, MGM would be wise to release the Atlantis DVDs several months after season 8, just so the sales of the dvd won't conflict each other.
                  well, it's possible that they could double their sales. i mean... i'd get both at the same time. i'm sure alot of people think the same way. i'd like them both to come out at the same time actually. that would be an AWESOME b-day or christmas present.

Comment

Id get both also at the same time. GO SG1/SGA!
                    When I wake up..I think of you Steve.
                    I miss you.
                    Please...please come back one day.

(Steve the Wraith from Season 1)

Comment

I would expect the first season of Atlantis on DVD sometime not long after season 8 of SG1 comes out on DVD. Maybe a month or two later (they don't want those two 'clashing'). And the DVDs are pretty much certain to be released. SciFi shows have simply been doing too well for them not to!

Of course there might be contract issues with the Sci-Fi channel or syndicators that prevents Atlantis from being released on DVD until some years have passed but I wouldn't think that the contract for Atlantis would be any different from SG-1 and it's seventh season is comming out soon. So I would expect Atlantis on DVD sometime by the end of next year.

The other topic. I don't get ANY channel here in Iceland that carries Stargate. It's simply not an option. So instead I download the episodes as soon as they become available (about a day or two after broadcasting) and then buy the DVDs once they come out. I don't buy the DVDs 'anyways' as someone here put it. I buy them BECAUSE I downloaded the episodes. I consider it only fair to pay for the stuff. Downloading it gives me advance access to the material, not free access (of course that's just me). And if it wasn't for the fact that a) I'm impatient as hell and b) this way I'm more easily able to avoid spoilers, I probably would just wait for the DVDs.

Comment

Really, it shouldn't take any longer at all. Say it should be released four or five months after it has completely finished airing. Besides, if you say MGM can't make DVDs fast enough, they do a pretty decent job!
                        __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                          Really, it shouldn't take any longer at all. Say it should be released four or five months after it has completely finished airing. Besides, if you say MGM can't make DVDs fast enough, they do a pretty decent job!
                          Of course it shouldn't take long at all. It's usually a matter of contracts with the station airing the shows that limits how early the DVDs can be released.

In fact here in R2 I would expect the first DVD of SG-1 to come out sometime next January-Febuary. Then about a disk every month to six weeks until the entire season is out (sometime in May-June). That is possible because in Europe once the inital airing of an episode is done the stations generally don't get much more use out of them.

Comment

The reason Stargate's dvds came so late was because DVDs weren't that popular back then.
                            It is kind of funny when you realize that. It has been a WHILE since SG-1 started. Seems like yesterday... I still had tons of VHS back then... heheheh... can't live without 3 dvd players in the house now!

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
                              *hits head on keyboard*

the show is 5 episodes old, and you're already asking when it's coming out on DVD? it took years for SG-1 to get start with the DVD making.
                              Yes I am already asking but I hava a good reason! It would make more sense to cancel my $19 per month movie channel (the only place I can watch Atlantis) and instead wait for the DVD's.

Alternately, I guess, I could wait for Atlantis season 1 to begin syndication next year and then I could see it for free and burn my own DVD's... but I'll probably want to buy the DVD box sets anyway like I have with SG-1.

Comment

Working...
                              X