This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would Atlantis really float?

You know metal ships float because they are lighter than the weight of the ocean/water surrounding them - known as displacement. However if you drill a hole in the hull it will sink.

Today I was wondering whether or not Atlantis would really float - In the middle there is a massive hole (Watch pt1 The Rising - right at the start where the city lifts off from the tower).

With this in mind, do you think the city would actually float if it were real?

Also bear in mind that the support arms underneath each of the city piers look rock solid. Do you think the piers would actually float?

If we have any ship builders at this forum, it would be great to hear your views!

-T

Green to Captain Jake

I saw some place an explanation of why Atlantis would indeed float... I'll look around for it and report back if I find it
    May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

We don't know what atlantis is made of. I guess it's some kind of unknown hight tech material that is 100 times as stable as steel and much lighter.

Comment

That hole didn't neccessarily penetrate into the interior. Why do life-preservers float? They have a hole right in the middle of them. The only requirement for stuff that floats is to displace more water than their weight. 1 c.u. water ~ 62 lbs. If you have something that is 5 c.u. foot, it must weigh less than 310 pounds.
        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
        Zatnikitelman

Comment

Atlantis is perfectly designed to float on water. It's large snowflake design will spread it's weight out over a great deal of surface area, and that'll displace the largest amount of water.

The more water you move, the more you're able to float.
          sigpic
          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

to float the water you displace must be more than your mass (or visa versa)
            A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Keep in mind that this was built by the ancients. The materials and structural engineering would be far beyond anything we could comprehend so dont exactly go around thinking that atlantis wont float if city that size wont float if it was built by our standards.

Comment

We are talking about the Ancients. If they can make a city that can fly from the Wilky Way to the Pegasus Galaxy, I think they would be able to make it float.
                *And that's all I have to say about that*

Comment

Yeah I thought it was impressive when they flew from the Milky way... but I never knew about the Wilky way flight

lol

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Diving bells have a hole in the bottom.

Comment

. . . . . . . . . . . .They walk through a puddle of water that takes them thousands of lightyears in an instant every episode. . . . . and this is what bothers you?

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                        . . . . . . . . . . . .They walk through a puddle of water that takes them thousands of lightyears in an instant every episode. . . . . and this is what bothers you?

Comment

Really Salty Water?....

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet
                            Really Salty Water?....
                            Best. Post. EVER.

Comment

what about powered floatation

Comment

Working...
                              X