X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to Niam

Spoiler:
    Wier, McKay, Ronin, Teyla, and Sheppard were bringing Niam with them, saving him from the immanent annihalation of the Asuras city ship. McKay had every intention of helping Niam, and did so to the best of his ability.
    In the end, though, we didn't "leave Niam out to dry." We didn't use his trust against him.
    He was reprogramed by the other Asurans through the Asuran sub space connection and turned on US. He went for Wier's throat and wasn't going to let go for crying out loud!
    There wasn't enough time for McKay to "fix" the problem, and throwing him into the back of the jumper and closing the doors wouldn't have prevented Niam from walking back into the pilot cabin by going all Terminator 2 and bleeding through the door.
    The only action our heros could take was to jetisin him out in space. There was nothing else we could do, and it's nothing like when SG-1 actually BETRAYED Fifth.
    It would be kind of like me rescuing an animal in the forrest from some random pitfall, only to have it try to bite me because it's rabid, so I toss it away from myself and leave it be.

And here's another thing that gripes me. I see lots of people complaining about how much of Progeny was just recycled material, and then they make snide comments like "we need new writers."
    What's wrong with you people? The Asurans may not be the most original enemy, but I for one find it nice that one element of the stargate universe has finally recieved ultimate closure: the replicators. Within both shows, we have now seen the experiments that lead up to their existance, all the way to their ultimate demise in the Reckoning two parter.
    And it doesn't bother me in the least that the Asurans are still alive and now we have to deal with them.
    It's like picking a fight with a kid and giving him a good beating, only to have his father step in.

And then there are complaints about "freezing the Asurans" like Daniel froze the Replicators. Get over it, will you? What's wrong with using a tactic that's been proven to work in the past if it will help you a second time?

Seriously, if you encountered a problem that was similar to one that you knew happened in the past, would you not think "ok, the problem was handled this way before, and the same solution might work here as well." Or would you sit back and think "no, I'm not reusing a tactic that's already been used, even though it will probably work, because that wouldn't be original."

Just get over it and enjoy the show. Sheesh!

i fully agree with what your saying. only question is where is this coming from, is it being said in a thread somewhere?

anywho at first it remined me of 5th but they did actually take him with them in the end only for his homeplanet to reset him

Comment

Would've greened you for this one, but it won't let me. Good post!
      http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
      http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Seems to me, it's OK to betray the 'the bad guys' well, at least on this show. I wonder if that's a reflection of the world we live in. Or just really dodgy writing.

In the end, it doesn't matter, the good guys are the good guys because they are on the credits, and that's all we need to know.

ETA: If I don't think, then I can accept anything.
        ----
        There is something extraordinarily delightful in getting intensely
        serious about something intrinsically silly.

Comment

Originally posted by ladysarah
          Seems to me, it's OK to betray the 'the bad guys' well, at least on this show. I wonder if that's a reflection of the world we live in. Or just really dodgy writing.

In the end, it doesn't matter, the good guys are the good guys because they are on the credits, and that's all we need to know.

ETA: If I don't think, then I can accept anything.
          But who the heck did we betray in Progeny?
          Spoiler:
          The Atlantians betrayed the Asurans thousands of years ago. All we did was inadvertantly let the Asurans know that Atlantis still existed, and they attempted to destroy it in retribution.

We certainally didn't use Niam's trust against him. We tried to help him till it was almost too late, for heaven's sake. We even tried to fix all of the Asurans.
          Spoiler:
          And blowing up the Asuras city ship was simply self defense, because it was in orbit above Atlantis, and Oberoth had every intention of blowing up Atlantis to satisfy his thirst for a pointless revenge.

If anything, this is one of the few times that the Atlantis expidition was pretty much spotless in their actions.

And Stevo,

only question is where is this coming from, is it being said in a thread somewhere?
          It's all over the Progeny Live Discussion thread, and probably other Progeny threads.

Comment

It doesn't bother me if it feels like one series borrowing from another if it's, as pointed out, integral to the story, however, what gets me a bit riled, is that they just left the guy (I forget his name already )
            Spoiler:
            floating out in space in the latest ep!!!

That's a bit sloppy of the writers IMO, because someone of McKay's intelect would realise that he, essentially a machine, wouldn't need atmosphere to survive. So they should be using the time at the end of the ep to track down him floating out there. And also laughably none of them seem too bothered that an advanced replicator is floating in their planet orbit! You KNOW he's going to suprisingly appear on Atlantis or on an Asuran ship.

I enjoyed the ep, but it got really sloppy towards the end and just leaving him drifting, with the Atlantis expedition there, apparantly assumes two things: a) they are unaware/forgot - which wouldn't happen with McKay being there, or b) not bothered - which I highly doubt.

Didn't anyone see that?

The lazy ending severely ruined the introduction of a new important race to the series...

Otherwise, enjoying SG! LOL

(Posted in one thread already, but I think this is the better place lol.)

Comment

nice subject line spoilers :-p

Comment

what happened to the two women working with Niam?

Comment

Originally posted by kaffra
                  what happened to the two women working with Niam?
                  Spoiler:
                  They were blown up with the City Ship.

Edit: Forgot to put it in spoiler tags, so sorry!
                  Last edited by RedGuard; 12 August 2006, 10:19 AM.
                  "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                  The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Spoiler:
                    I agree that he wasn't betrayed, but that doesn't change the fact that the episode was an Unnatural Selection rip-off just at a bigger level.

I still liked the episode and next week looks really interesting. I kind of wish the original story from Progeny had been the actual "two parter" instead of making it a 1 part episode and then a follow-up one, but whatever. Looks cool anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicWok
                      It doesn't bother me if it feels like one series borrowing from another if it's, as pointed out, integral to the story, however, what gets me a bit riled, is that they just left the guy (I forget his name already )
                      Spoiler:
                      floating out in space in the latest ep!!!

That's a bit sloppy of the writers IMO, because someone of McKay's intelect would realise that he, essentially a machine, wouldn't need atmosphere to survive. So they should be using the time at the end of the ep to track down him floating out there. And also laughably none of them seem too bothered that an advanced replicator is floating in their planet orbit! You KNOW he's going to suprisingly appear on Atlantis or on an Asuran ship.

I enjoyed the ep, but it got really sloppy towards the end and just leaving him drifting, with the Atlantis expedition there, apparantly assumes two things: a) they are unaware/forgot - which wouldn't happen with McKay being there, or b) not bothered - which I highly doubt.

Didn't anyone see that?

The lazy ending severely ruined the introduction of a new important race to the series...

Otherwise, enjoying SG! LOL

(Posted in one thread already, but I think this is the better place lol.)
                      In New Order Part II of SG-1 season 8, a lone human formed Replicator was located by Thor's ship's sensors floating in space.
                      If I remember correctly, it had deactivated itself since it couldn't really do anything, and it came back to "life" only when Thor transported it onto his ship and attempted to tap into the Replicator sub space frequency through the machine.
                      Spoiler:
                      I'm sure Niam still has the subspace connection to his Asuran breatheran activated, but all of the Asurans already know Atlantis still exists and they know exactly where it is, so Niam is pretty useless right now. And if he gets pulled in by the graviational pull of the planet, I'm pretty sure he'll burn up in the atmosphere.
                      Personally, I would've fired a drone at Niam, but either way, chances are slim that he'll survive unless he's picked up by a Wraith Hive Ship or the Asurans.
                      And who knows, maybe he was spared "death" because the Atlantis team felt sorry for him, and maybe McKay will try to find a way to over-ride the reprograming the Asurans did and fix him for good.
                      But whatever happens, the ending didn't seem sloppy to me. We barely saved Atlantis, and almost lost Wier, and there were like two minutes left before the end credits. Now, if all of this happened in the middle of the episode then they came back to Atlantis and just sat and chatted for kicks and giggles, than that would've been sloppy writing.
                      But, if that's not enough closure for you, don't count the writers out just yet. Maybe they'll revisit the fact that Niam is in space in the next episode.

Comment

I agree as well. That's one of the biggest ways that this episode differed from SG1's Unnatural Selection.
                        Spoiler:
                        In Unnatural Selection, SG1 made Fifth believe they were going to take him with them, but then smartass, alien-phobic Jack made Carter set the timer all wrong so that Fifth froze right along with the rest of his brethren. THAT is a MAJOR betrayal.

What happened in Progeny didn't really hit home for me. The Reppie here was willing to help The Atlantis team, and they were more than willing to bring the Reppie with them, unfortunately, he got hacked into at the last second and McKay was forced to suck him out of the PJ because he was about to strangle Weir like a chicken. That's not betrayal, that's an unfortunate twist in circumstances. If anything, the reppie should be mad at his brethren for hacking into him, but since he's been reprogramed, he's back to thinking like the rest of his brothas.

Que sera sera.
                        TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by ultimategurion
                          Spoiler:

And here's another thing that gripes me. I see lots of people complaining about how much of Progeny was just recycled material, and then they make snide comments like "we need new writers."
                          What's wrong with you people? The Asurans may not be the most original enemy, but I for one find it nice that one element of the stargate universe has finally recieved ultimate closure: the replicators. Within both shows, we have now seen the experiments that lead up to their existance, all the way to their ultimate demise in the Reckoning two parter.
                          And it doesn't bother me in the least that the Asurans are still alive and now we have to deal with them.
                          It's like picking a fight with a kid and giving him a good beating, only to have his father step in.
                          Thats how I see them related...
                          Spoiler:
                          And then there are complaints about "freezing the Asurans" like Daniel froze the Replicators. Get over it, will you? What's wrong with using a tactic that's been proven to work in the past if it will help you a second time?
                          Mckay made it sound as if he was first one to do such a thing...So i understand...

Many parts were recycled... but, it was reused in a diffrent direction and reused i a good way i liked it..

He's either reprogrammed and hates us, or figured out away to solve the problem, but hates us for abandoning him... or figured out away to solve the problem, but is compassionate to why we abandoend him..
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

The only thing i hate is there going to let this great EPS be pushed down by next Weeks Eps .

Spoiler:
                            Wier returns home , and finds out the hole stargate program is not real . Come on how many times do they have to relive this BS .

What they could have done is more with the Asuran race , Like follow it up with something BIG . Im not really happy that they would try to do the WHOLE going home thing again ... Sorry but there should have been more with them tring to fingure out the Altantis Data Base first .

To Add i love the FACT that we are getting a Better Enemy for Altantis , but when are we going to find an Allie like the Asgards in this galaxy of some refence to and Allie like the Asgards that would have been the real 5TH Race or even a new Alliance in the Milky Way Galaxy that the Asgards Nox and Furlings might have nothing to do with ...

Comment

I think they betrayed him in some sense
                              Spoiler:
                              he wanted to help his people, change the base code to get rid of their aggressive nature, instead the atlantis team just wanted to blow them up and proceeded at first without telling him. His plan sounded good and really could've work (a big risk i know) and then we'd have them as allies, but now as they're enemies who are peed off we blew up their city ship

I know in the end they had no other choice but the initial betrayal is still there.

Comment

Working...
                              X