• Show
Clear All

Farscape Interviews/Stories/Media Coverage

From TV Guide Online:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/insider/040812b.asp

INSIDER

Farscape Miniseries Scoop!
    by Ethan Alter

What a difference a year makes. When the Farscape crew assembled in San Diego for the 2003 Comic-Con, it was a decidedly mournful affair. The show had aired its last episode only four months earlier and with no network reprieve in sight, angry fans were experiencing a serious case of withdrawal. Little did anyone suspect, however, that behind the scenes, plans were already in the works to resurrect Farscape and give the cult series a proper send-off!

Flash-forward to the 2004 Con, where fans' dreams became a reality. On a sunny Saturday afternoon, reunited members from the cast and crew (including series stars Ben Browder and Claudia Black) took the stage to present the trailer for Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars, a four-hour miniseries that will air on the Sci Fi Channel on Oct. 17 and 18 at 9pm/ET.

To say the teaser got a positive reaction would be an understatement; the minute Farscape's familiar theme song started playing, the packed room broke out in cheers. Even Browder and Black couldn't contain their excitement. Right after the lights went down, they snuck to the front of the stage to get a better look at the screen. "Farscape looks amazing cut together with music and that big announcer voice," laughs Browder, the once and future John Crichton. "You kind of go, 'Wow, I'm in that?'"

You can't blame the actors for their enthusiasm. After all, at this point last year, they had no idea if they'd ever be donning their characters' leather ensembles again. Everyone involved with Farscape credits executive producer (and Peacekeeper Wars director) Brian Henson with making the miniseries happen. "When the show was canceled, I tried to place it at other channels, but that didn't work out," Henson recalls. "I was starting to explore alternatives — including a theatrical feature — when a consortium [of investors] approached me in the early spring. They had heard about the show from fans and were interested in financing something with us. So I called [series writer] David Kemper and [Farscape creator] Rockne O'Bannon to get them started on a script. Then I contacted Hallmark about distributing the miniseries. And that's pretty much the way it came together."

After several months of preproduction, the cast reassembled in Australia in December of last year for an intense nine-week shoot. "It was enormously challenging," Henson says. "It's a movie, so the scenes were bigger and there were always more characters. We were usually doing only one or two takes of a shot with four cameras rolling, so everyone had to be on their game. There was no space for people to be forgetting lines or things like that."

As difficult as the shoot was, Kemper was stuck with an almost more daunting task: writing a script that would bring the series back in grand style. "I had a whole fifth year planned out, so I had the bare bones of where I wanted to go," he says, "but now, 22 hours had to be truncated to four. It was hard to get back into the flow again at first, but as we started to gather steam, it became Farscape again. The muscle remembered what to do." Kemper also had to find a way of satisfying the existing fan base while also roping in new viewers. "That was the hardest thing," he admits. "To make it so that all of our fans would go, 'Yeah!' and anyone new would go, 'Wow!' But we walk the tightrope pretty well, I think."

Anyone who watched the series knows that Farscape was already pretty epic, but judging from the trailer, the miniseries kicks it up another notch. Naturally, the roughly two-minute teaser doesn't give away a lot of the story, but it does hint at some big things to come. First off, everyone's favorite star-crossed lovers Crichton and Aeryn (who's pregnant with their child) are back, along with their comrades-in-arms D'Argo, Chiana, Rygel, Pilot and the living leviathan, Moya. Also glimpsed are villains like Scorpius and Graiza. As the title implies, all of the characters get caught up in an enormous intergalactic war that pits species against species. Amid the carnage, Crichton and Aeryn try to find a place where they can start their family in peace.

In addition, Kemper kindly tells TV Guide Online this exclusive plot point: "Spaceships and water don't usually mix, but in this Farscape epic... let's just say galoshes. Think water. Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink. I'm a little worried about what's going to happen if all those leather pants get wet, though...."

Although the miniseries will tie up a lot of loose ends left over from the show, don't assume it will close the door on Farscape forever. "I wanted this to be a great, epic event, not the conclusion of an 88-episode story," Henson insists. "Time will tell, but in the best of all worlds, I would hope that Farscape would become a movie franchise as well as a spin-off series." In other words, the sky's the limit.

Keep an eye on Insider for our upcoming exclusive interviews with Claudia Black and Ben Browder!

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

I can't wait for that mini series.

Reading the article I was struck by the fact that according to what Henson said, the fans actually were responsible for getting the mini series made. The Crackers Do Matter campaign seems to have worked exactly as intended. More power to us, yeah!

Comment

TV Guide Rocks!!! Henson Rocks!!! Farscape Rocks!!!

Music Videos from various fandoms

Comment

From TV Guide Online:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/insider/

Ben Browder's Farscape Plan
        by Ethan Alter

In his role as John Crichton, the astronaut-turned-action hero of Sci Fi Channel's cult hit, Farscape, Ben Browder frequently struggled to keep his emotions in check. In real life, the actor doesn't always feel the need to hold back. In fact, he was downright verklempt when he arrived on the set of Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars, a four-hour miniseries that will air in October — and pick up where the prematurely canceled show left off!

"I got tears in my eyes walking back onto the set," Browder tells TV Guide Online. "To walk back onto Moya [the living leviathin which housed Crichton and his band of interstellar fugitives] was like seeing an old friend you never thought you'd see again. There were minor differences [in the set], but for the most part, it was like a time warp. A year and a half had passed since they had dismantled it, and there it was again.

"It actually leads you to believe that you could go back to high school if you really thought about it — and had a really good set designer."

The last time we saw Crichton, he had just proposed to his on-again, off-again lover, Aeryn Sun (Claudia Black). Aeryn responded with her own surprise: She was pregnant with their child. Thirty seconds later, the happy couple was reduced to thousands of crystals by an alien laser blast!

"When we come back to the story, they're still in 275,000 pieces," Browder laughs. "But I don't think I'm giving much away to say that Crichton and Aeryn return. However, it may not be the Crichton that people remember...."

Browder is naturally sworn to secrecy on plot specifics, but he promises fans a wild ride. "The big question is: Where is Crichton going to end up? Is he mentally, physically and emotionally prepared to survive his journey, and how many people are going to die in the process? People change and do things in the course of hard times that they would not normally do. Had Crichton never entered that wormhole, he would have just been a regular astronaut. Now the stakes have been raised one more time."

In between wrapping the series and starting work on the miniseries, Browder popped up in several roles, including a guest appearance on CSI: Miami and a cameo as Lee Majors in NBC's Charlie's Angels movie. (Sci-Fi Geek Alert! Tricia Helfer, the actress who played Farrah Fawcett, Majors' former wife, in that film also stars as a sexy Cylon robot on the new Battlestar Galactica series.)

Browder also starred in an independent feature called A Killer Within, which screened at the Cannes Film Festival back in May. "I'm always looking for work," he says. "Even when I'm working, I'm looking for work! It's my job and I love what I do, but it can be a crapshoot sometimes."

And don't think that his status as a sci-fi hero gives him a swelled head. "I'm a fan of certain actors and directors and writers, but I cannot see a single reason why anyone would feel that way about me," he offers humbly. "I've never been comfortable with that idea in regard to what I do. I'm part of a process to which thousands of people have put input and millions have watched. I love it when people enjoy the show and get something from it, but I can't ask for much more as a performer."

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I can´t wait for the mini-series to air!!!

Farscape is my all time favorite sci-fi show so getting more of it will be great.

Wish they´d get Browder as the fourth member of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd

Farscape is my all time favorite sci-fi show so getting more of it will be great.

That would be cool if Ben was the new member to the team.

I really have missed those guys

Comment

hmmm less then 2 mo ta go too... woohoo!!!!!!!
              sigpic

Comment

Thats a wicked idea, with a capital W.
                I reckon he'd be pretty good added to Atlantis aswell.

Comment

From UGO (UnderGroundOnline):

It's time for the new television season! Some of our old favorites are back, like Star Trek: Enterprise and Tru Calling, and there are some brand new shows, like Lost and Veronica Mars, that are encouraging us to spend the chilly evenings at home in front of the tube. Here is your official UGO guide to what's in store for the Fall 2004 television line-up.

SciFi/Fantasy:

http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmTv/f...2004/scifi.asp

We love all genres. Comedy, Drama, Action-Adventure, Horror, we'll take them all. But Sci-Fi/Fantasy - that's our favorite. It takes us to that Other Place. It is the realm of ghosts, demons, superheroes, orcs and magic. We're sad that Buffy and Angel are gone, and we even kind of liked Dark Angel and Birds of Prey. Luckily, there are some fantasy shows returning, and some new ones to fill the void left by Sunnydale getting sucked into hell (or whatever happened). Here, you'll find the best in fantasy television that Fall 2004 has to offer.

PLUS!

Tru Calling Exclusive Interview with Eliza Dushku
                  http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmTv/e...rticleID=12658

Farscape Exclusive Interview - Ben Browder and others
                  http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmTv/e...rticleID=12657

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

From Zap2It:

'Farscape' Returns to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
                    (Wednesday, October 13 12:02 AM)
                    By Kate O'Hare
                    "We made this thing called ... hang on," executive producer and writer David Kemper says. "I always get it wrong. 'Fire Escape'? It stars Benji something."
                    In case you can't guess from Kemper's attitude, the mood is pretty easygoing among the cast and crew of "Farscape" (he was close), the outer-space saga that was supposed to be dead, except, not so much.

Picking up where the series left off at the end of its fourth and last regular season, the miniseries "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars" airs Sunday and Monday, Oct. 17-18, on Sci Fi Channel. The four-hour tale resolves the show's cliffhanger finale, and opens new doors to the future.

No discussion of "Farscape" -- its creation, plot, demise or resurrection -- is ever brief or simple. But, as succinctly as possible, it's the story of a U.S. astronaut, John Crichton (Ben Browder), who's out in his space orbiter one day when he's sucked through a wormhole into a distant galaxy. There, he meets a group of escaped alien prisoners traveling aboard a living ship. Several seasons of hair-raising adventure, hairbreadth escapes and general lunacy ensue.
                    The Australian-shot co-production of Hallmark and The Jim Henson Company (whose Henson Creature Shop provides extraordinary creature and puppet effects) premiered in March 1999 on Sci Fi Channel, was renewed for two years in its third season, but was then canceled after only one more year, causing a fan uproar of epic proportions.

The series had wound up in the middle of a corporate financial mess involving Henson's German owners, EM.TV, resulting in Henson chief (and "Farscape" executive producer) Brian Henson and his siblings buying back the company founded by their late father, Muppet creator Jim Henson.

"Farscape" was then resurrected as a miniseries that went into production before a U.S. broadcaster was locked down. Kemper and series creator Rockne O'Bannon wrote it, and Brian Henson directed.

"Brian Henson has some large cojones," Kemper says. "Brian had a vision. He's an executive producer and a creative person. Because it's a family-owned company, Brian just said, 'Here's the money, just go do it.'

"Rock and I were sitting in my living room, scared s***less. We had Ben over; we had Brian over; we had [director/producer] Andrew Prowse on the phone. 'Come on guys, we have to write this thing in six weeks.' It's impossible."

"Farscape" has inspired a small army of extremely devoted fans for its complex, character-driven story, broad humor, rollicking adventure, and some of the most dazzling aliens ever seen on the large or small screen.

"'Farscape' is a story about family," Browder says. "It's a story about creating life in a harsh environment. That's what a lot of people relate to in the story."

Although some fans unleashed their ire on Sci Fi Channel after the show's cancellation (to the point of shutting down the cablenet's e-mail system), Kemper says there was never any question where the miniseries would eventually air.

"There was nothing to kiss and make up over," Kemper says. "That's a popular misconception. It's now continuing on Sci Fi, and you don't know that there won't even be more 'Farscapes.'"

The series ended with a scene in which Crichton finally proposed marriage to pregnant lover Aeryn Sun (Claudia Black), a humanoid Sebacean warrior, while the two were sitting in a boat. Then they were blasted to smithereens.

Of course, they must be somehow resurrected for the story to continue. Without going into specifics, it does involve a lot of regurgitating by their frog-like pal (and full-on puppet character) Rygel.

Anyway, once that's all done, Crichton and Aeryn try to get married and have their baby. But the entire galaxy seems to be set against them, especially since both sides in an ongoing war believe Crichton's brain contains strategically valuable wormhole knowledge.

That's about as much backstory as the miniseries has time for (for more, there are plenty of Web sites with detailed episode synopses from earlier seasons), but Kemper's not worried. "What we've found is people who like our show generally tend to be smart. Let people catch up."

After finishing the first draft, Kemper headed to Australia for the first cast read-through, with O'Bannon weighing in on speaker phone. "When you get the DVD," Kemper says, "you will see me putting my head in my hands at the end. Literally, I'm up for 12 days, finishing the script. Then I'm in this table read for five hours; then there's a four-hour meeting afterward. The associate producer said, 'Let me drive you home.' They were afraid I'd drive off the Sydney Harbor Bridge."

Despite this inauspicious beginning, the script was wrestled into shape and production began. Among those joining Browder and Black are Anthony Simcoe as tentacled D'Argo, Gigi Edgley as Chiana, and Wayne Pygram as evil Scorpius, who's still after Crichton's hidden knowledge.

"We were rebuilding sets as we went," Browder says. "They had to take Anthony Simcoe out of a closet and screw his arms and legs back on. They had to basically put Humpty-Dumpty together again. It was chaos from beginning to end, but then, the series was always chaos from beginning to end.

"There was a great moment ... I put the costume back on, strapped the sidearm back on, got on set, put Winona in the holster, and I knew, 'Yeah, I'm back at work.' Good old Winona. You know, that's the kind of small stuff I love. I love that John's gun is named Winona."

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate

Proof-Positive
                    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Proof-Positive

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

From MediasharX:

http://www.mediasharx.com/index.php/features/3612

(There's a fantastic photo of John and Aeryn at the site. Please follow the link for the COMPLETE article.)

The Little SF Series That Could
                      By Tara O'Shea

Star-crossed lovers John Crichton and Aeryn Sun are back in the all-new mini-series FARSCAPE: PEACEKEEPER WARS on SciFi Channel

FARSCAPE is back, baby!

The brainchild of Rockne S. O'Bannon, David Kemper and Brian Henson (son of Jim), FARSCAPE follows the adventures of John Crichton (Ben Browder), an American astronaut who fell through a wormhole and, like Alice down the rabbit hole, found himself in the Wonderland of the Uncharted Territories, the far reaches of space caught on the verge of war between the Sebacean Peacekeepers and the reptilian Scarrans.

** MAJOR (even Lt. Colonel) snippity doo-dah**

It's rare, for a cancelled TV series to get a chance to return and wrap up its story-lines. For every STAR TREK, ALIEN NATION and FIREFLY which went on to mini-series and movies years after going out of production, there's an EARTH 2, ANGEL, or JAKE 2.0 which, despite the best efforts of fans, simply couldn't make that leap back onto TV or movie screens.

But FARSCAPE got that chance, and the creative force behind the series have gone on record as saying they could never have done it without the 'Scapers support. In a live chat hosted by SciFi Channel in April, Jim Henson Company chairman Brian Henson revealed that funding for the mini-series came from "a consortium of financiers who would not have heard of us if it weren't for all of the attention the fans bought to the canceling of the series," and expressed his heartfelt thanks.

"Really, it was the fans," Henson told SFX Magazine in June. "It was the fan clubs and the online fans and the stuff that they were doing. They were keeping the word out that they missed FARSCAPE and that they desperately wanted it back. And they did that world-wide in a very big way. They got the message to everybody who was in any way involved in television and the result was that there was financing opportunities that came to me that I would never have found on my own."

Browder credited the fans with bringing back the series "It's all due to the continued fan participation in the process of getting it back on air," he revealed in a brief interview with SciFi Wire in April. "It wasn't as though it was one initial reaction, and it went away. They've actually sustained a campaign and sustained a community, which is based on the show. It's really interesting, the Internet community."

PEACEKEEPER WARS picks up where the series left off. John and Aeryn, having survived countless obstacles (including her death and his. It's a long story), are finally enjoying a moment of peace. John presents Aeryn, who is pregnant with his baby, with his mother's engagement ring, and she accepts. Moments later, the two are seemingly destroyed, crystallized by a blast from an alien ship.

Fans have been waiting two years to see how their heroes would recover from such a blow, and the wait has been worth it.

The Peacekeepers and Scarrans, shown throughout the series to be on the brink of war, have finally joined in combat. And as much as John would like to keep his friends and loved ones out of it, he is drawn into the conflict by virtue of the Wormhole technology coveted by both sides. Everybody wants Wormhole Weapons, and no one will believe John when he says he doesn't know how to make them. In order to try and avert the war, Moya's crew are hot on the trail of the Eidelon, a mysterious "lost" race of mediators capable of bringing warring peoples to the negotiation table thanks to their extraordinary mental powers. The Scarrans are hot on their trail, determined to exterminate the Eidelon to the last. If that's not enough, John and Aeryn are trying to handle the prospect of becoming parents a bit sooner than John expected, thanks to Sebacean physiology.

The entire cast reunites for the four-hour mini-series which resolves the cliff-hanger, while still leaving plenty of material to be explored in future FARSCAPE films or series. Along the way, they are surprised by several old friends. Although at times the pacing suffers from trying to compress a half a season's worth of story into four short hours, this is a pure, concentrated hit of FARSCAPE. It's like eating it with a spoon straight from the can, and the resulting highs and lows are just as intense. In true FARSCAPE fashion, there are moments that will make you laugh so hard you can't breathe, and moments that will blind you with tears.

The look of the mini-series is amazing, the scope and canvas larger than anything FARSCAPE has done to date, and from start to finish, it's a breath-taking ride which barely gives fans a chance to catch heir breath between tragedies and triumphs. The special effects are as good as anything fans have seen on the big screen, but the strength of the mini remains in the characters themselves, and their relationships. While the future of the universe may be at stake, fans will connect with the relationships between the members of Moya's crew, and even her enemies.

Browder gives a stand-out performance as John, particularly in scenes with Claudia Black's Aeryn, who is terrified by the prospect of motherhood. Chiana and D'Argo reach a new level of their relationship, as do Scorpius and Sikozou. Every character has their moment to shine, even Scorpius' toady Braca. And not to spoil you, but let's just say Black's Aeryn isn't the only character with a bun in the oven. While some journeys come to an end, there is still plenty of story to tell.

"At the end of the ten weeks I thought Brian Henson would be certain that he wouldn't want to do any more FARSCAPE, because the scale of the mini-series is so humungous," series star Browder told SFX. "But he actually turned to me and went, 'Now we need to start thinking about the film.' Brian's next take is he'd like to see FARSCAPE on the big screen. I completely concur with that."

The four hour mini-series FARSCAPE: PEACEKEEPER WARS will premiere Sunday, October 17 at 9pm EST on the SciFi Channel and will conclude Monday, October 18.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate

Proof-Positive

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Cool!

Its on tomorrow! I'm so excited!
                        "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Can't wait!

I'm really proud of all the fans who stuck with the dream of bringing back Farscape. I have to admit I didn't think they had a chance in heck of getting it back.

Why do I get the feeling it's going to be intense four hours.

Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

From SciFi Weekly:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/current/interview2.html

(For the complete interview, please follow the link. There are several photos at the site.)

INTERVIEW

Browder and Black reunite to fight the Peacekeeper Wars and continue the saga in a Farscape miniseries

By Cindy White

When the final episode of Farscape aired in 2003, many fans disappointed by its cancellation were encouraged by the appearance of three little words at the end of the last scene: "To be continued." On Oct. 17 and 18, that implied promise came true with the premiere of a four-hour miniseries titled Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars.

**A frellin' big snippity doo-dah**

Was there anything else you wanted to say about the show?

Browder: I have huge thank-yous to everybody responsible, from the first person who clicked on the TV to Brian Henson, who managed to scrape it all together and make it happen.

Black: Yeah. To be shopping the show around for five years in the first place, and SCI FI Channel picked it up, and then to get it back again, it's amazing.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate

Proof-Positive

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

And now here he is on SG1 as the leader. Love it when wishes come true
                              Retired Major Stetson
                              "Space Fox"
                              Teep/Teek and all around sneak

If the primates we evolved from had known that politians would come out of the gene pool, they'd have stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.

sig by my pal CKO

Comment

Working...
                              X