X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion regarding the post count system

Would GW be better off if you could hide post counts

Here is what I think:

Other threads have had subjects asking things such as "Does post count matter?" Unfortunately, it does for some. What if the whole thing was just removed from the forums? Would it change the way people think? Would it affect the "newbie and oldbie" opinion?

what i am suggestion is an option for users to have the ability to hide there post count or the post count of others in the hopes that it will limit the spamming and the pressure newbies feel to spam the forums to get a high post count to fit in.

Why can't GW be more focused on other things? People announce their post count when it reaches a certain landmark, (which we are all guilty of at one time or another)

yes. That is a nice thing to celebrate, but I still see no point to it.

it would work like (if it is possible) the same way you can hide signatures and avatars

Feel free to post your opinion

Mal
    Last edited by Pharaoh Atem; 10 August 2006, 04:09 AM.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

It's an interesting idea. I don't know whether it would help or hurt though. Might get even more nonsense posts if no one is paying atention to how many posts a person makes. On the other hand, maybe people would stop spamming if they didn't count towards anything. It's hard to pick one way or the other. The only way to know for sure would be to test it. As for me, I really don't care about my post count.

2004 Get in the Gate Winner

The less often a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

Comment

Unless you plan on rewriting our forum code-base to support the removal of post counts, we wont be doing this. It can be done from a template perspective, but whats the point? I know a few sites do this to discourage spam posting - but where does it stop?

Should we also remove your Join Date? Your Reputation?

The post count is there to show off the number of posts you have made - wether they are quality or not is entirely up to you

Comment

The post count system is not a problem, at least i never saw it as one, its never been a bragging contest and i know i have the 4000 at the bottom of my sig but thats because it wanted to celebrate, not because i wanted to be macho...

How do you know who is a valid member of the community and who isnt without it...Post count isnt about showing off, for me its about judging the commitment to this forum and fandom, if you spend time and effort over a long period of time then you will be in my eyes at least a good person to listen to. This isnt to say that i would treat a new person any different.

No the post count should remain a feature of this forum, also how would you feel if the 4000+ posts you had spent 18months making suddenly went missing and had no record. It would be horrible, if i had no way to seperate my membership from everyone elses then what would be the point in coming here in the firstplace, post count stays...

JMO Immhotep
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
          No the post count should remain a feature of this forum, also how would you feel if the 4000+ posts you had spent 18months making suddenly went missing and had no record. It would be horrible, if i had no way to seperate my membership from everyone elses then what would be the point in coming here in the firstplace, post count stays...

JMO Immhotep
          I really don't get what you mean...

All the post count does it create people who start seeing themselves as 'leet', I say get rid of it.

DOWN WITH POST COUNTS!

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
            I really don't get what you mean...

All the post count does it create people who start seeing themselves as 'leet', I say get rid of it.

DOWN WITH POST COUNTS!
            i think what he means is that it would feel as if no one cares. that all those posts would be "gone" and you're back at zero. it's not actually true, but i can imagine it feeling like that. if there had been no post count to begin with on GW, i doubt it would be a problem (expect among those crazy newbies that want to rewrite the board) but actually getting rid of it is another story. and, as greg said, that's only half the story. logistics can be a total pain in the arse.
            Originally posted by Mal
            rep system and just how you conduct yourself and how you are perceived by your peers
            that's funny, because most people find the rep system more problimatic than post counts. bottom line, people like to compete. and as long as we're all different there are always be things to compete about. number of words per post, how big you can make your sig without getting caught (my head hurts already), how many threads you make. personally, i'd rather have competition regulated to those two (or three) nice little lines in the corner.
            sigpic
            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

I agree, Down with post counts. Besides, people should be embarrassed that their post count reveals how much time the devote to an imaginary life.

Comment

Originally posted by principia
                I agree, Down with post counts. Besides, people should be embarrassed that their post count reveals how much time the devote to an imaginary life.
                Why would people be embarrassed, and why do you consider this an imaginary life? Unless all the people here aren't real and are just in my head, I'm pretty sure it's reality.

I guess I would like to keep the post count. I think it would be easier on people to keep it than to take it away after having it for so long. If it never had one in the first place, then I would probably say it doesn't need one.

The less often a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

Comment

I post in a forum were your post count is not displayed, but you can see it in your CP. There, the only indication of how long you have been there is that in the first 2 weeks of joining your name is in green. When you post in a thread it doesn't go to the top so that eliminates bump posts.

However that is Q+A site and is very different to this site.

You can tell who makes good quality posts based on their rep.
                  Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Its funny because i do get embarrissed at each landmark and think...have i been doing this THIS much!
                    Also conduct does mean alot but your expectations change when dealing with people of a higher post count, also by your peers, you mean people with more experience, more posts, been here longer, have more rep than you...how do you determine how to act when there are no role models or people who you know have bene here a while and have the posts/battlewounds to prove it.
                    Without postcount its kinda like everyone is a noob and shaddow at the same time, that is just iggnorant to everyone who works hard and becomes respected member of a community. I would personally keave Gw entirely if Post count was removed and im sure Gw would collapse in to a less pleasent place.
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

Post count is what it is. I've no issues with it. I've been here over a year and only have a little over 400 count. It's not something that I am competitive with or pay too much attention to in regards to myself or others. As the saying goes...it's the quality of the post that counts, not the quantity. At the same time, I do like seeing how many, or how few, posts I have made.

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                        Its funny because i do get embarrissed at each landmark and think...have i been doing this THIS much!
                        Also conduct does mean alot but your expectations change when dealing with people of a higher post count, also by your peers, you mean people with more experience, more posts, been here longer, have more rep than you...how do you determine how to act when there are no role models or people who you know have bene here a while and have the posts/battlewounds to prove it. Without postcount its kinda like everyone is a noob and shaddow at the same time, that is just iggnorant to everyone who works hard and becomes respected member of a community. I would personally keave Gw entirely if Post count was removed and im sure Gw would collapse in to a less pleasent place.
                        that's true; i do use it like that. especially when i was a newbie it helped me know who i could ask, who in general knew more, etc. i would not have wanted to be the newbie who confused shadow with a noob<shudder>. yes, it's always possible to mistake a spammer for an oldie, but it's not unlikely. i can also removing post count as a shaft to the people who have worked hard and become respected. but i think the collapse of GW is probably a little hyperbolized.
                        sigpic
                        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)

Comment

Oh, where to start?

First of all, post count is what it is. Take it away and you'll have at least as many angry protestations as you will cries of relief... and it still won't solve the problem because some people are simply wired towards manic competition and if all else fails they'll invent ways and reasons to inflate their posting habits.

Second, take away post count and you take away the tier levels for avatars and I guarantee people will scream about that. Putting everyone on the same level is not likely to be an option. Darren has said time and again that he wants to offer a reward/thank you to long-time posters and just because people abuse his good nature doesn't mean he should or will take that away.

Third, as the saying goes, "Stop worrying about your post count and just make your posts count." If people still insist on being obsessed with a number, there's nothing you can do about that.

Fourth, it takes a special kind of elitist s*** to condemn people for spending too much time on a bboard. You (generally speaking) wanna pass judgement on how people choose to spend their time? Look in a mirror, first. And for everyone else... Wouldn't an attitude like that tend to indicate that the person spewing it isn't worth listening to? Again, you can't stop people from being hurt by such pettiness any more than you can stop the jerks from vomiting it forth in the first place. People will be hurt and people will keep saying stuff like that and in the end it only affects you as much as you let it. Maybe you can use it as a chance to reassess your priorities, or maybe it'll show you just how much you love spending time here with your friends or maybe it'll inspire you to write a wild story that'll become a cult hit and earn you millions and then you can really laugh at how small and stupid some people can be.

Likewise, just 'cos folks have a small post count is no reason to attack, either, especially since posts in OT don't count. There are some fabulous people out there who have some great and/or funny things to say but have rep counts under 1000 despite having been here for ages. No one thinks any less of them for that because it's usually obvious that the person is having a good time and isn't that what really matters?

Who cares about your post count or rep level or av tier or sig banner as long as you, the individual, are having a great time and aren't harming others with your fun?

Again, you can't get people to recognize that the point of this place is to hang out and have fun, but if you lead by example, maybe others will follow.

Comment

Nicely put, ShadowMaat.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
                              i know your always out spoken and i big supporter for making gateworld fun again
                              oh, come on, Shadow's fun. aren't ya, Shadow? maybe just not in a heart 'n' flowers kinda way.
                              Originally posted by Mal
                              that's the point I'm trying to get a crossed but i like the idea of hiding it if the user sees fit
                              how would that stop spammers? (i seriously think i'm missing something here.)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X