This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Mitchell read Russian?

Here's a little plot hole that I found in "Flesh and Blood".

Spoiler:
    Mitchell managed to get his hands on an
    F-302 to escape the Korolev before its destruction.
    Yet, if the F-302 was assigned to a Russian
    ship, wouldn't its controls be written in Russian?

Does Mitchell know how to read Russian, or does he
    simply know the F-302's controls by heart?

Also, why didn't Mitchell take Daniel, or at least a
    Russian Co-pilot with him when he escaped? He
    seemed kind of selfish by not taking anyone else
    with him, at least IMO.
    sigpic

Remember that Mitchell was the one that lead the F-302 attack on the gou'ld in antarctica to protect sg1. Therefore he would have had alot of prior training with the F-302's and expecially as the leader of the squadron, he would know the controls off by heart.
    Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

Originally posted by stewsith
      Remember that Mitchell was the one that lead the F-302 attack on the gou'ld in antarctica to protect sg1. Therefore he would have had alot of prior training with the F-302's and expecially as the leader of the squadron, he would know the controls off by heart.
      Good point. But I was thinking that maybe the controls
      would be configured a little differently for the Russians
      since the Russians are new in terms of flying fighters in space.
      sigpic

Comment

He probably knew it by heart. But the ship was built for the americans. they had to give it to the russians to keep the gate, so it was in english. im not a pilot but i think most of the things in a cockpit are generally written in englisch.

Comment

I don't think a russian F-302 differs from an american F-302. He sure knows the controls by heart and doesn't have to understand any written explanations or whatever.
          And he speaks chinese, I would belive even without a proof that he speaks russian as well.

I guess Daniel was elswhere, where Mitchell couldn't find him, and things happened very, very quickly.
          Stopping and trying to save another one nearby would have cost the few seconds Mitchell needed to fly the F-302 into space, and he had died as well.
          That's all folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwin
            I don't think a russian F-302 differs from an american F-302. He sure knows the controls by heart and doesn't have to understand any written explanations or whatever.
            i can see it going either way. either the Russians have an improvement to add (i'm sure there are improvements to be made, but whether they want to is another question), or they don't want to spend the money. they may also want to differentiate themselves from the U.S for whatever reason (well, it's possible). i have no doubt he knows the U.S controls be heart, but even if they are the same, i can see the readouts being in Russian. he could do it, but it'd be rather dangerous. but it's not like he had a choice, so it's possible.
            And he speaks chinese, I would belive even without a proof that he speaks russian as well.
            don't see the connection. i speak spanish so now i can speak arabic?
            I guess Daniel was elswhere, where Mitchell couldn't find him, and things happened very, very quickly.
            Stopping and trying to save another one nearby would have cost the few seconds Mitchell needed to fly the F-302 into space, and he had died as well.
            i buy that daniel wasn't around, but if anyone was (good bet, i think) he should have given the seat to him. it's like the titanic, fcol. i know time was of the essence, just seems wrong.
            sigpic
            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

We know that the Russians built their
              own ship, the Korolev.

But remember Season 6's "Disclosure"?

I'm thinking that maybe the Chinese will have
              their own ship.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                i have no doubt he knows the U.S controls be heart, but even if they are the same, i can see the readouts being in Russian. he could do it, but it'd be rather dangerous.
                Hm. I hink, when you simply want to fly and you know all the controls, even when some things had been changed, it would be not a real problem for an elite pilot.

don't see the connection. i speak spanish so now i can speak arabic?

I thought of that, because China, Russia and the USA are the countries which are most involved in the proecjt (as far as I know).
                Actually I thought of that after your post.

i buy that daniel wasn't around, but if anyone was (good bet, i think) he should have given the seat to him. it's like the titanic, fcol. i know time was of the essence, just seems wrong.
                You're right, would have been better if it was really clear that he couldn't save anyone.
                That's all folks.

Comment

Uh...no. The US gave them a new 304 which they then named "Korolev".

Comment

Hm. I hink, when you simply want to fly and you know all the controls, even when some things had been changed, it would be not a real problem for an elite pilot.
                    i agree. i'm just saying that if i had two strong elite pilots, one Russian and one American, and i needed to fly a Russian craft, i'd pick the Russian.

I thought of that, because China, Russia and the USA are the countries which are most involved in the proecjt (as far as I know).
                    Actually I thought of that after your post.
                    you could probably put the U.K in there too, not that it makes a difference. but i was under the impression he'd learned it before the program. not sure why, just made more sense to me. i mean, why would the Blue Squadron commander need to know Chinese or Russian? they speak English anyway.
                    You're right, would have been better if it was really clear that he couldn't save anyone.
                    there are a lot of things i wish they'd made more clear weren't possible in there.
                    sigpic
                    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

I agree, he knows those controls by heart. Wether or not it was in Russian dosent matter. He is a crack pilot. And he did exactly what he needed to do. Hada he tried to bring Daniel he and Daniel would have died also.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon_06
                        We know that the Russians built their
                        own ship, the Korolev.

But remember Season 6's "Disclosure"?

I'm thinking that maybe the Chinese will have
                        their own ship.
                        The russians blackmailed the US for a ship.

Best Stargate quote:
                        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                        Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                          The russians blackmailed the US for a ship.
                          Of course they did. It gave them a great opportunity that literly blew up in their face!
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

At least they now can say they once had a spaceship.

Comment

everyone has to remember that its about the language but about how you fly it. Remember when shepard flew a wraith dart i mean that was definetly not in english or russian lol, so he flew it anyways.
                              sooner or later the day comes when you cant hide from the things that youv'e done anymore-BSG adama

Comment

Working...
                              X