This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the new season isnt doing so well

I think it is because SG-1 is not exploring new worlds and meeting new civilizations. Now when they go off world it is an old run down city of Arthurian times. We want them to explore more and meet new people or interact with some azgards, tolans, noks or whoever else? Wjat do you guys think...........?

I don't think that's the reason.

The Ori are are whole new races, a whole new enemy who are closely related to one of the coolest, and most important races in Stargate, The Ancients.

If that doesn't peak peoples intrests, I have doubts that a stand alone episode involving a race which has little impact on the overall story will.
    An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

I agree and disagree.

I agree that there should be more interaction between some of the races that we have allied ourselves with in the past. These races are under just as threatened by the Ori as humans are.

However, I do not think that exploring all new worlds is what SG-1 needs. I , for one, am enjoying the current storyline. I think it is cool how they are using Arthurian myths and tales to tell their story. I just wish some of our allies were aiding in the fight.

Comment

I think it's because the last two seasons were less than great and a lot of people just didn't bother to keep track of when the new seasons were going to start this year so they're not watching. I find that's usually how I'll quit watching a series. I'll watch to the end of a season and then just lose interest in it over the break and not bother to catch the opener because I don't care enough anymore to find out when it is. It's how I stopped watching Andromeda for example. So basically what I'm saying is people aren't watching because what they're making right now is bad, they're not watching because what they made last year was bad.

It's a shame because Atlantis, save for irresistable, has been better than last year on average and Sg-1 certainly isn't any worse.

All in all though I don't think this is anything that can be blamed on the network. SG-1 and SGA are still on Friday night like they were last year. If the ratings are down it's not because people don't know where to find the shows. It's because some of them evidently can't be bothered to tune in anymore.

Comment

I think the problem with Stargate has more to do with decisions made off-screen than the stories that are appearing on-screen.

Stargate had a huge opportunity a year ago. It was bringing in new characters and painting a whole new canvas. At the same time, it had lost its very popular, marquee value leading man.

Someone, either TPTB or the network, decided to play to the new fans, focusing all efforts toward the "Shiny, shiny" aspect of its new characters. I think they were trying to dazzle us with so much that we'd forget that RDA was gone. I spent a lot of years working in the broadcast industry, and here's what went wrong, from my perspective:

1. Stargate forgot to honor the characters who had built the franchise. Richard Dean Anderson left, but long-time fans were promised that Jack O'Neill would remain "alive and well on the Stargate canvas." Instead, he wasn't mentioned all season, not even in casual references! That's not the definition of "alive and well" in my book.

2. Other major cast members were pushed to the side. Teal'c was practically a cardboard cutout for most of S9. No fault of CJ; TPTB were just so busy playing with their new toys that they failed to give him anything to do! Sam Carter lost her command, and TPTB favored CB over AT, giving the very talented Ms. Tapping a contract only after they had signed the other characters. Tapping was told they "didn't know what to do with her." Daniel Jackson's character fared best, probably because of his connection with the shiny new Vala.

3. Mitchell became commander of the team, even though he had never been through the Stargate! This was totally out of canon. In S8's Lockdown, a highly decorated Russian soldier arrived at the SGC and asked to be assigned to SG-1, to take the spot vacated by General O'Neill. O'Neill says (paraphrasing here), "I don't care how many medals he's won; he's not going anywhere near that Stargate until he gets some training!" But Mitchell didn't have to live up to that same standard? To longtime fans, that inconsistency didn't set well.

As a result of these decisions, many longtime fans got disgusted and decided to cut their losses by walking away. I wasn't one of them. With hope, I continued to watch a season that was abyssmal. I certainly won't be buying it(even though I own DVDs of S1-8). There are only five eps from last season that I would even consider watching again: Beachhead, Ex Deus Machina, Ethon, The Scourge and Camelot. For me, the rest of S9 was like watching someone you love spinning hopelessly out of control.

To new fans, I'm sure the show seemed good. The production values alone are impressive. But to longtime fans, it seemed forced and artificial...just kinda "off." That's why they walked. If TPTB had honored the basic building blocks that made the franchise so successful, I am convinced they would have kept the longtime viewers AND picked up new ones. Unfortunately, they made other decisions.

I want to say here that I loved Farscape, CB and BB! I wanted to embrace the new characters. What I never dreamed was that everything I had known as Stargate would be pushed to the side when they arrived. It wasn't right, and that didn't set well with me. It's not the actors' fault. It's TPTB and Skiffy. Bad decisions.

So, we stand at the beginning of S10, and ratings are at their lowest point ever! But I bet that if TPTB put things right, longtime fans would return in droves. IMHO, here's what needs to happen:

1. The characters who helped create the show should take the lead, not the new guys. It's only right. I don't just mean the Sam/Cam leadership debate. Teal'c was reduced to a supporting player. TPTB are smart enough to have written it differently.

2. There should be a happy resolution for Sam and Jack. Let's face it. They can't ship Sam Carter with anyone else without making her look bad. So why don't they just acknowledge that the pair would probably be together at this point? Nine years is a long time to long for someone. Ten years (once you can finally be together) is ridiculous! No one as smart as Sam and Jack would wait any longer, even if they are a little awkward discussing their feelings. These people have conquered all sorts of adversity! They'd find a way! So, give the shippers one good scene or two while they have RDA's services again, and then, just refer to the relationship occasionally. Shippers could happily turn their attention to other issues, with all those years of longing, denial and angst finally resolved.

3. Scripts should be be written for the team, not the "new leads." Although the show always revolved around the character of Jack O'Neill, the other players were given plenty of opportunity to develop and shine. It was a team show. This hasn't been the case in the past year. I don't know if TPTB or Skiffy are responsible. I just know that the show worked better under Gekko (RDA and Michael Greenburg).

So far, I think the scripts this year have been pretty good. The problem is, so many people have been turned off to the show that they're not watching anymore. Why they're not watching Atlantis, I don't know. I've always thought it was excellent.

Maybe they're just afraid of being disappointed again.....

The opinions above are mine, although I know they are shared by many other fans. Those who disagree may red ding me if they so choose, but we were asked what was wrong, and I simply offered my humble opinion.
          Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 09 August 2006, 07:32 PM.

Comment

But whats weird is that it is both shows. Not just SG-1. Atlantis is getting hit as well....... I dont know. Someone start the Save Stargate campain.

Comment

I think alot of it has to do with Promoting the SHOW ...

Look at BSG and Eureka ... They have Ads on other SHOWS like WWE that is on the USE Network , and on Fox ... If SG-1 and SG-A was Promoted like this the Ratings would go up alot more , The ONLY Show that you really see Ads for it is on the Sci-Fi Channel ...

Maybe MGM Needs to get SG-1 and SG-A out thre a little more ... Buy sometime on the FOX Network and some Ad time with WWE on USE Nextwork ..

Not jsut that they also dont give DVRs and TiVos the right ratings either .. It lowers the ratings of the SHOW ... I know i do Record the SHOW , but i also watch the show in another room as well as recording both SG-1 and SG-A ...

Comment

In the article on the homepage they talked about delayed tivo/dvr ratings. That doesn't make any sense, since the tuner must change to the channel to record it. Am I missing something?

But yeah, pretty pissed about the ratings. All this work to revamp the show and actually finding out tons about the ancients relative to past seasons, not to mention SGA is churning out some great episodes, and now there's talk of cancellation. Boooooo.

Comment

I don't know why they aren't doing so well - SG-1 or SGA.

I've been a fan of SG-1 since Season 1, and personally, I've thought last season and what we've seen so far this season have been great. I just don't get it.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

first time post so ill try not to offend anyone.

i think foremost why both SG shows arent doing so well isnt because of storylines or character directions or even Sci-Fi trying to get rid of the franctise (while it hasnt been the strongest stories in the world or the fact that we all want RDA to come back) but the simple fact that there is strong compeition on USA with Monk and Pysch. There's a good chance that ratings might rebound during the first hiatus coming up that supposedly is till March. (can anyone actually explain that decision to me)

Comment

yes because we need to see naked pale white aliens prancing around flowers..... We need people to throw Teal'c on trail for saving their lives... we need people with advance tech not willing to share and think their cooler but they suck, and are totally and utterly pathetic because they dont realize the same weapons their wiping their friends out with could be used to wipe out the gouald holding them hostage... Because we need to meet treehuggin halfplant air heads.... Because we need to meet more anti snake in their head snake in the head which carried a poor story line.... because we need to meet the elite jaffa who get killed off in a single episode... because we need to meet people who die within a few years due to rapid aging, because we need to meet people who have a learning curve in which they steal nanites from the children to enrich their own minds..... because we need to go on intergalactic space races.... because we need people to flip out when they see a black knight, because we need people that make anyone who can predict the future their kind... because wee need to meet people that want to posion all of the women and destroy their wombs to prevent pregnancy....

Because WE DONT. we go off world, in search for a weapon, we met plenty of people it doesnt seem like it but we have, insearch of merlins weapon, random exploring, ect. Just because the priors have visited 90% of the worlds we visit doesnt mean the orii are the main focus of show... wiat yes it is...

Reason its failing is because Scifi... and its also because of the new rating system... Also you have to havea nielson box do you not? how many people sign up for one and dont watch stargate... I had problems with broken signal on Friday watching Stargate and Stargate Atlantis(only times i have breaks in my signal) we called cable guy, he looked at everything, he said, chances are to many people are watching the same station as you at the same time around here. Im getting bad signal because maybe people are watching stargate, and toomany are watching in that area...???
                      its the ratings system itself which is messed up... if not Scifi blows.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

I dont understand it, so far this season sg-1 has been better than last season (even tho I liked S9) and better than Atlantis imo, the stories are great, the fans just need to tune in, not watch through tivo the first time round but watch it on tivo in the repeats. I don't blame lack of advertising as real stargate fans would know when it's on, I don't even blame competition as once again a proper stargate fan would choose to watch stargate over anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by jesster178
                          I think it is because SG-1 is not exploring new worlds and meeting new civilizations. Now when they go off world it is an old run down city of Arthurian times. We want them to explore more and meet new people or interact with some azgards, tolans, noks or whoever else? Wjat do you guys think...........?
                          I think it's becuase BSG isn't in the friday night line up anymore
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by jesster178
                            Two words: PREDICTABLE WRITING. The show has locked itself into what the writers think is cool, but what isn't necessarily appealing to the VIEWER (and it's the viewer you want more than the fan). The folks with the NIelsen boxes and who buy stuff on the ads.

I'd like to see the team do more than interact with Ba'al (which is a big yawn), or chase down Camelot crud. And yes, ti's time to burn down their existing village sets and make new ones.

Comment

it's...bad? or rather, season 9 was bad so many people just didn't come back. too bad the major draw of this season (RDA) will first appear in a love/hate--most likely hate, espeically for casual viewers--episode. casual viewers tune back in for RDA and 200, hoping for something more like season 8 and they find, well, not that. i doubt stargate will keep many of those viewers, even for the other RDA eps.
                              sigpic
                              "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                              Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Working...
                              X