This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Things Wraith - Contains Spoilers

I want to open this thread to collection of information on the wraith and everything to do with them, from theory to observation to speculation.

So go on... state the obvious.

Item 1 - Reproduction (Spoiler - So look a way)

I believe the wraith use other lifeforms to reproduce. I believe from spoiler observation that the wraith collect humans to infuse their own DNA into, turning them into wraith drones/soldiers/keepers etc...

This observation was gathered from these images http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s1/109.shtml

Comments?

Comment

Good theory, but might those chambers be a way of sucking the life force from humans and pipping the life force to a large number of wraiths?

Comment

Item 2 - Ships (Spoiler - So look a way)

I believe that the wraith operate in hives, each hive is assigned a mothership and dart fighters as well as foot soldiers. I believe we have only witnessed one such hive. I make this judgement based on observation of ants. Whoms queens leave the hive to help colonise a new hive. I think this maybe true of the wraith as well. Meaning there maybe several hive ships patroling the galaxy. I think this maybe why the ancients were beaten so badly. They realised to late that they weren't just fighting one hive but potentially 100's. This cause a lot of problems especially if the hives all wake up at different times. To humans the wraith are wraith and are indifferent from one another in terms of origin. To the wraith their might be slight differences in behaviour to one another.

This however is speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostinmyownvoid
          Good theory, but might those chambers be a way of sucking the life force from humans and pipping the life force to a large number of wraiths?
          http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s1...s/109_19.shtml

This image shows a human male apparently reaching out to attack someone/something. I think that the producers might decide to use the wraith/vampire mythos to explain their reproduction. After all the wraith are suppose to be based loosely on vampires. Which to be honest is very lame. Especially since that angle has been done to death (excuse the pun) recently with Buffy/Angel/Underworld/Blade/Queen of the Damned.

Comment

Originally posted by jpf190279

This image shows a human male apparently reaching out to attack someone/something. I think that the producers might decide to use the wraith/vampire mythos to explain their reproduction. After all the wraith are suppose to be based loosely on vampires. Which to be honest is very lame. Especially since that angle has been done to death (excuse the pun) recently with Buffy/Angel/Underworld/Blade/Queen of the Damned.
            I just don't think that way we see wraith's absorbing life energy is practicle for a large population, I think those people weren't becomeing wraith's they were like milk cows.

Comment

Human milk cows, very interesting.

But human males' mammary glands are not sufficiently developed for milk production?

Comment

Originally posted by Weirsrearend
                Human milk cows, very interesting.

But human males' mammary glands are not sufficiently developed for milk production?
                Not literal milk! Figuritve milk!

Comment

I wonder what the Wraiths did to those Ancients they captured.

Drained their life energy? Torture?

Comment

As for Wraith reproduction, I was thinking along the same lines. It might be interesting to see if there are any familiar faces beneath those drone masks. In fact, I have this nifty idea for a fanfic...

Anyway, regarding the chambers thing, I really don't see the Wraith as being a sharing species. It's every vampire for himself. Although if you go with the hiver thing, it could be there's a queen who DOES care about the feeding of her... er... young. Hopefully the concept will be better explored in future eps.
                    Last edited by ShadowMaat; 11 August 2004, 06:21 PM. Reason: removing heat-of-the-moment comment to stay on topic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      Ignore that one, void, it's a troll awaiting decimation.

Comment

Originally posted by jpf190279

I don't think they are lame at all, even though, as you point out, they are based on vampires, they are a lot different and much cooler. We still don't know much about them, but give them a chance; they might prove to be cool badguys.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          Ignore that one, void, it's a troll awaiting decimation.

As for Wraith reproduction, I was thinking along the same lines. It might be interesting to see if there are any familiar faces beneath those drone masks. In fact, I have this nifty idea for a fanfic...

Anyway, regarding the chambers thing, I really don't see the Wraith as being a sharing species. It's every vampire for himself. Although if you go with the hiver thing, it could be there's a queen who DOES care about the feeding of her... er... young. Hopefully the concept will be better explored in future eps.
                          I don't think they are vampires like in the mythical sense. If a vampire feeding on a human makes another vampire, like in Salem's Lot, then eventually, there will be no humans left and only vampires, who will starve since they can't feed on each other. So, it makes sense that the Wraith would be like the vampires from Interview with the Vampire, which is they can make others of their kind if they choose to, not by default. LeStat, for example, had to use his blood to make Claudia and Louis; they weren't created simply because he drank their blood.

I don't think the Wraith make other Wraith, I think they just feed. They are clearly not human, and probably never started off human. Someone said they were instectoid, but to me, they look almost reptilian. Dunno...

Comment

Hierarchy:

There seems to be a hive like hierarchy. The Wraith Soldiers seem like the bottom of this list. Then maybe that Wraith leader (who got captured) and then the CareTaker. The higher you go, the stronger they get.

Abilities:

Wraith Soldiers: Little Regeneration Abilities.
                            Wraith Guy: MOre Regeneration Abilities. Superb Strength, Speed and Skill. Force you to see things.
                            Wraith Care take: More Regeneration Abilities. Superb... etc. Can force you do things. Force you to see things. Probe your mind.

Comment

Item 4 - Lack of life (Spoiler - Look a way)

I think that if the wraith reproduce a long the lines that I have said i.e. by caughting victims and slowly changing them into wraith that could explain the lack of life in the galaxy when the Ancients arrived.

It becomes apparent to me that the galaxy was void of life for a reason, the wraith killed it all. When the Ancients came and started to repopulate the galaxy with Humans they essentially gave the wraith a farm that they could devour. However I think the wraith figured that this time rather than killing off everyone in some psycho feeding frenzy, that they would farm the humans allowing for a much longer supply of victims.

As for the speculation on the lack of life in the galaxy I find this somewhat unsettling as it means that we are not likely to see other races other than Ancients/Humans or Wraith. I say this since if there were other races in the galaxy prior to the Ancients arrival then that would of been stated by the holo-ancient. So my belief is that at present there are only a lot of humans and a lot of wraith and 1 or 2 Ancients in Pegasus.

As for another race arriving in Pegasus after the Ancients left i.e. like the Furlings. I doubt anyone would be so stupid as to oppose a race capable of wiping out the Ancients without serious backup. Also it makes sense that if another race i.e. the Furlings did travel to Pegasus to fight the Wraith as some have suggested, then they would of occupied Atlantis and also the Asgard would of stated this to us when we mentioned that we have gone to Pegasus to find the Lost City.

I still think that the wraith use humans/aliens to repopulate themselves. It makes sense to a certain extent. If not then the feeding cambers would most likely be the logic conclusion.

Concerns with populations

Doing the maths you might be interested to know that the Wraith might have nearly depleted there supply of humans. Assuming that that are 1000 worlds of Humans and that each world say had 1,000,000 people living on it. Then the galaxy can only have 1,000,000,000 humans in it. Now I really doubt that the galaxy has that many, since we have already evacuated one world with less than 100 people. Now I'm a bit confused by this, since it has been proven that to subtain a race of humans you need around 600 separate genetic individuals. Which either means Teyla people have suffered a major depopulation recently... Or they have been inbreeding for quite some time. LOL yuck.

Ok so now assuming that each world has 1000 people on it, the galaxy may have as little as 1,000,000 humans in it + some from Earth now. Assuming that each wraith needs to feed on one human, you can easy deduct that the wraith can no longer support a population over 1,000,000 active individuals. Which could serious hamper their chances of survival.

Ancients and the Wraith

Now with the above speculation in hand, how could the wraith have beaten the Ancients in numbers? I doubt Atlantis had less than a few million individual Ancients living in it. So that question is; Did the worlds seeded with Humans have a much greater population at the time prior to the re-emergence of the wraith from their sleep? What I mean to ask is; did the worlds populated by the humans number in the millions on each planet? I think the answer must of been yes. Observation of Teyla peoples city indicate that her people once numbered great enough to need a city of a significant size. Teyla herself stated that the city was abandoned by her people has they believed it helped bring forth the wraith. It appears to me that the new re-waking of the wraith might in fact be the last. Since the number of humans in Pegasus can no longer support since a large number of wraith without problems.

Wraith in the Milkyway

Following up on the above line of thought. It would be reasonable to conclude that if the wraith managed to get to the worlds of the milkyway we could all be in some very deep s**t. Now human worlds in the Milkyway excluding Earth easily number in their hundreds maybe even thousands with populations of thousands to millions, and those world not occupied by humans are sometimes occupied by non-humans (unas, sarakan, nox, etc) making the Milkyway a feast to be had by the wraith.

Personally I think that Atlantis will in coming series either leave Pegasus for the Milkyway or be forced to help defend the milkyway from the wraith who find their way to here.
                              Last edited by jpf190279; 12 August 2004, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X