This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

building ships

why can't we just build ships offworld like most races like the Goa'uld that we know of ?? so then we can atleast build near the size of the Goa'uld or asgurd

Probably because we don't have enough material to build massive ships. The Goa'uld had hundreds of planets to mine and thousands of slaves to build ships, we don't.
    "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

To build ships you need a huge infrastructure, and we just don't have that off world. An i don't see why it should be possible to build bigger ships offworld than on earth.

Comment

Well, building ships requires a few things...
        1. Materials
        2. Time
        3. Space
        4. Security

If we had an off-world base, it would be rather difficult to secure the perimeter.. especially since our goa'uld enemies have intel on our bases (and presumably would find out about our ships if we built them off-world)... etc and so forth.

Building it in space is a worry.. cuz our telescopes could pick it up,a nd suddenly our secret operations are spoiled!

Comment

Plus think of the construction people who would have to make the ships, they wont all be air force, etc or united states military. They'll most likely be contractors who'd never heard of the stargate program and really the government wouldnt want to be sending slack jawed builders onto another planet.

Plus think of the man power required to build something as big as a 304, now think about it again if it was the size of an asgard ship?

Also families too, if they did contract the construction, those builders would want to see there families, even if they saw them every 6 months, it would still be a hassle ferrying them back and forth, gate or ship wise.

Im suprised they manage to build a 304 at all, in complete secrecy or is it some of the asgard wizardry ;P

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko
            Well, building ships requires a few things...
            1. Materials
            2. Time
            3. Space
            4. Security

If we had an off-world base, it would be rather difficult to secure the perimeter.. especially since our goa'uld enemies have intel on our bases (and presumably would find out about our ships if we built them off-world)... etc and so forth.

Building it in space is a worry.. cuz our telescopes could pick it up,a nd suddenly our secret operations are spoiled!
            Umm we do have off-world bases... and according to recent EP's we're up to 7 I beleive... dictating that they go by alphabetical order in their bases names, there's a Gamma Site now...

Thanks to Captain Jake for the sig!

Comment

actually, its 3 if the gamma site is the latest seeing as they are using greek lettering and gamma is the third letter in the greek alphabet.

Comment

Yeah, and unlike the Asgard; Humans lack the whole "Micro/Nano technology" required to churn out hulking great ships whenever they feel like it.

Sides, Earth is lucky that it even HAS any ship specs to begin with; and considering that all human ships still has at least 1 Asgard operating half the critical systems; I'd expect that we aren't going to be whipping out any BIG ships anytime soon until humans get the grasp of building and maintaining hyperspace tech.

Comment

Originally posted by genome
                  actually, its 3 if the gamma site is the latest seeing as they are using greek lettering and gamma is the third letter in the greek alphabet.
                  I was thinking they were using the alphabet.. The reason I say this is because in the Armed Forces they use words instead of letters, like Alpha Beta Charly Delta Epsilon Fox Gamma... thus my reasoning for thinking they had 7 bases instead of the 3 that u assumed for the greek alphabet

Thanks to Captain Jake for the sig!

Comment

I believe it takes 10 years to build a Naval ship (US). And thats a carrier. It takes a lot of people, and a lot of time to get the piesces in just right.

Comment

Earth is over-populated

Why couldn't we offer poor africans, asians or other really poor or opressed people to go and start new life on another planet. Now, if they want to start a new life they collect money and travel to the States or Europe in crowded and small ships without food and they die. These who reach richest countries are illegal imigrants and can't have the work.
                      I think most of the African people would go to another planet if they could send their children to school or have well paid job. And then we could build our supership without any secrets.
                      So after 100 years we have big colonies all over the galaxy and a big fleet of ships and technologically advanced society but on the Earth people still would know nothing about Stargate programm and maybe at best would have some base on the Moon.
                      - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

The same reason why we can't build those ships on earth. Primarily because of the cost and time to create a single ship.

Comment

Working...
                        X