Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where have Atlantis's Ring transporters gone?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where have Atlantis's Ring transporters gone?

Last night I was thinking about "The Lost City" part 2.

It struck me that SG-1 beamed down into the tower/outpost using rings and were recieved by a set of ancient rings.

This means that the ancients obviously used ring technology and probably created it (allowing the Goa'uld to copy them).

Seeing as Atlantis was also a space craft that should surely mean that it also had Ring transporters onboard somewhere? - But where? I don't recall seeing them in any episode (I've seen most of season 1, and some of 2).

Also, if the ancients had ring transporters, why then do they use those funny elevator-type transporters in the city?

Surely the rings at the outpost were not installed by the Goa'uld / Ra after the Ancients left earth because they would of discovered the drone weapons.

What do you guys think?

-T
    PS, Sorry if this has been asked before)

Green to Captain Jake

The ancients did create the rings, and the transporter rooms are like ring transporters without the rings, but yes that's an interesting point you raise about the rings or lack thereof.

Comment

I think they have to have one somewhere. they just didn't need it until now.

Comment

Originally posted by Turboz
        Last night I was thinking about "The Lost City" part 2.

It struck me that SG-1 beamed down into the tower/outpost using rings and were recieved by a set of ancient rings.

This means that the ancients obviously used ring technology and probably created it (allowing the Goa'uld to copy them).

Seeing as Atlantis was also a space craft that should surely mean that it also had Ring transporters onboard somewhere? - But where? I don't recall seeing them in any episode (I've seen most of season 1, and some of 2).

Also, if the ancients had ring transporters, why then do they use those funny elevator-type transporters in the city?

Surely the rings at the outpost were not installed by the Goa'uld / Ra after the Ancients left earth because they would of discovered the drone weapons.

What do you guys think?

-T
        PS, Sorry if this has been asked before)
        They haven't explored all of Atlantis yet. They could be in a section yet left to explore.

The Ancients had an outpost in Antarctica, that's why it had the rings.
        Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
        Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Real life answer: They wanted the tech in SGA to be different to the one in SG-1

In-show answer: Ever wondered why we don't use the same inept cars that we used to? Ever wondered why our TV's are just getting better and better? They were in Pegasus for millions of years. You think they didn't develop new tech while they were there?

Elevator room transporter teleporter thingies are clearly superior to rings. They are marginally faster, as there are doors that need to be closed before they can be used, there's no way to trip and have a part of your body chopped off and you can only connect to rooms that are connected to the transporter you're using, so no way of someone making a special device to beam in where you are without your permission.

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
            The Ancients had an outpost in Antarctica, that's why it had the rings.
            Yeah I kinda got that - hence the reason for this entire topic

-T

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Like FallenAngelII said:

When Atlantis left Earth then it probably did use rings and had all sorts of MW-ish technology, but in the long time they were in Atlantis they obviousley evolved, into a level beyond the MW ancients.

Rings were replaced by transporters.

Comment

Originally posted by Sauron18
                Like FallenAngelII said:

When Atlantis left Earth then it probably did use rings and had all sorts of MW-ish technology, but in the long time they were in Atlantis they obviousley evolved, into a level beyond the MW ancients.

Rings were replaced by transporters.
                But then surely they would of kept a set of rings in Atlantis for use with the rings in the MW?

Maybe the transporters are backwards compatible with the rings?

-T

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

i think its the materials they found around the milky way so its acts like thier trans room???
                  sigpic

Comment

I always thought that the ancients built atlantis before they left for Pegasus but after they made an advancement in transporter technology. This is why Atlantis only has transport rooms and not rings. I then thought that they left this info in the ancient head grabbing device and thats how the asgard got the technology.

You guys.girls bring up some good points. I also think it would be cool if the rooms were compatible with the rings. That way they wouldnt need to have a set of rings in Atlantis. It could also be because they just havent found a set of rings yet.
                    sigpic
                    By *E*K*R*

Comment

there may br rings in atlantis but we haven't seen them because we haven't seen anything compatable with them yet to ring to.....it's my opinion that there are no rings they don't seem that advanced when compared to other races transporters
                      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

rings are dangerous, and leave a huge back door into anywhere with rings. not to mention they will cut a limb off. the transporter rooms are safer and if someone double transports their way in u can leave em locked in the room.

my guess is the closets are backwards compatable with the rings.
                        diffrent galaxy diffrent materials or maybe the ancients/lantiens went through a design change as we do ever 10 years. i wanna find the latian room filled with afro's (not that afro's arn't cool i just wanna see an ancient with an afro) and bell bottom pants.

Comment

Indeed the elervators are safer and we haven't needed any rings yet

Comment

No reason for backwards compatibility. If all Lantian ships were upgraded or scuttled, then it wouldn't matter. Remember the ancients didn't think they were going back to the MW, why care if that tech works with this tech?

Comment

I'm not doubting that the Ancients created the rings and used them (the show says it somewhere season nine). But the outpost in TLC pt2 did NOT have rings. The physical rings from the cargo ship actually went down through the shaft. Somewhere there is an image that explains the rings and their panel and what the different functions do. If I remember, there is a function that actually transmits the rings similar to what they did to the kull in evolution 2 there is a function for simple matter stream transmission, a function for transport up, and transport down.
                              When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                              Zatnikitelman

Comment

Working...
                              X