PDA

View Full Version : Wraith feeding on them selves?

Major_Griff
August 6th, 2006, 11:52 PM
In The Defiant One we learned that Wraith can feed on each other. So could A wraith then feed on him self? Could he feed then regenerate from that then feed again? I think that would interesting to find out. What do you guys think?

The Prophet
August 7th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Wouldn't that be akin to having a Current that just involves a Battery?

The Wraith would have Energy. 100Hp lets say.

He uses up 10Hp by Feeding on Hosts.

He Feeds upon himself. -10Hp for Power. -10Hp Lost from being fed upon.

He gains +10Hp from feeding.

In Total he has Lost 10Hp.

He does this 10 more times. Dead.

^Basic Principle, It wouldn't work, he wouldn't be a source of Nutrience for Himslef. By doing so, he would burn himself out faster (compared to Not eating)

ascendedancient42
August 7th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Do a little experiment for me:

A) Gain the ability to regenerate.
B) Cut off your finger.
C) Eat it.
D) Does it grow back?
E) Repeat A-D until it doesn't grow back.
F) Question answered?

This was mostly meant to be a joke, but it does illustrate a point:

Unless your digestive system is 100% efficient, you'll lose something each time. If your digestive system is more than 100% efficient (totally impossible) you'll gain energy each time.

ablevins425
August 7th, 2006, 06:59 AM
It's a law of physics really. You can't get more out of something than you put in. The health points (hp) is a great explanation.

Syera
August 7th, 2006, 07:01 AM
I was thinking that was Horse Power... but I could be wrong.

The Prophet
August 7th, 2006, 07:05 AM
I was thinking that was Horse Power... but I could be wrong.

Tis Health Points. ;)

Thanks ablevins425, it seemed like the general process....

Syera
August 7th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Actually, the first thing I thought of was hit points... but I figured nobody else here'd be quite geeky enough for that. :P

The Prophet
August 7th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Actually, the first thing I thought of was hit points... but I figured nobody else here'd be quite geeky enough for that. :P

*whistles* Geeky?! Me? Never! :p :rolleyes:

.....kemon....Gotta Catch Them All... :eek: Did I say that Out Loud?! :p

Jumper One
August 7th, 2006, 07:24 AM
I thought of hit points too. :)

ablevins425
August 7th, 2006, 07:25 AM

I think some people actually do say hit points.

Syera
August 7th, 2006, 07:26 AM
RPG gamers, yes...

*Has played quite a few RPGs*

ascendedancient42
August 7th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Aren't alot of us RPG players?

Come on, alot of us are geeks. Geeks play RPG's, right?

It seemed like obvious logic to me...

ablevins425
August 7th, 2006, 07:40 AM

(Raises hand) geek here....

Gate Geek
August 7th, 2006, 07:46 AM

I'm a geek. At least I've been told that I am.

But I never played a RPG. *bows head in shame*

ascendedancient42
August 7th, 2006, 07:49 AM
I'm a geek. At least I've been told that I am.

But I never played a RPG. *bows head in shame*

You don't have to hang your head in shame. I'm sure there are lots of RPG groups that would love to have another member. ;)

ablevins425
August 7th, 2006, 07:50 AM
You don't have to hang your head in shame. I'm sure there are lots of RPG groups that would love to have another member. ;)

Yes we will take you in a rpg group. And the geek club too lol.

Syera
August 7th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Well, now you've gone and got me wondering what kind of stats and special battle abilities a Wraith would have in an RPG system.

Definitely some kind of attack that lets him suck hitpoints out of the player's characters. :D

ablevins425
August 7th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Well, now you've gone and got me wondering what kind of stats and special battle abilities a Wraith would have in an RPG system.

Definitely some kind of attack that lets him suck hitpoints out of the player's characters. :D

Yeah. One of the wraiths special attacks would be to throw tics (hiatus bugs) on you that suck out your lifeforce (blood) and then transfer the energy back to him.

Syera
August 7th, 2006, 07:59 AM
I think you mean Iratus. http://www.springhole.net/smileys/lol.gif A hiatus is a break, vacation, off-duty type thing.

I don't think they'd throw bugs. They'd just suck the life-force from your chest.

ascendedancient42
August 7th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I think we've completely lost sight of the original topic (can a Wraith feed on themself?)

Should we start a new thread?

Steel Jester
August 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Back to the basis of this thread, I agree that it is an interesting idea at it's core. However there is the problem of using up energy to feed on himself. However, could two wraith maintain themselves by alternately feeding on each other and regenerating?

Syera
I think we've completely lost sight of the original topic (can a Wraith feed on themself?)

Should we start a new thread?

I don't know why. The original topic was pretty well answered and covered in the first few posts, so there's not much point to continuing it.

Back to the basis of this thread, I agree that it is an interesting idea at it's core. However there is the problem of using up energy to feed on himself. However, could two wraith maintain themselves by alternately feeding on each other and regenerating?
No. If anything, they'd just end up losing energy.

ablevins425
I think you mean Iratus. http://www.springhole.net/smileys/lol.gif A hiatus is a break, vacation, off-duty type thing.

I don't think they'd throw bugs. They'd just suck the life-force from your chest.

Yes Iratus, thanks for the correction. Sorry. With the regeneration powers of the Wraith I think that they would have to at least be a formetable boss.

ablevins425
August 7th, 2006, 08:04 AM

Back to my oringinal answer, no. It is a proven fact in physics that you could transfer power from one source to another, but to use the energy (to regenerate) it would begin to decay. You cannot get more out of something than you put in.

Steel Jester
August 7th, 2006, 08:04 AM
No. If anything, they'd just end up losing energy.

Thats what I figured but I wondered what others would think.

Syera
August 7th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Thats what I figured but I wondered what others would think.
Ever considered reading up on how energy works? It's really quite... educating. ;)

ablevins425
August 7th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Not to mention the fact that it is probably a very unpleasant experience.

ascendedancient42
August 7th, 2006, 08:10 AM

No. The process of feeding could not be 100% efficient. It's going to lose something each time one of them feeds.

The general figure when a predator eats it's prey is that it only obtains about 10% of the energy the prey gained by eating something else.

There are exceptions (lampreys can get 90% of the energy), but the 10% figure is the norm.

I imagine that this figure would also appy to Wraith, but as I understand it, the feeding process works better on other wraith (SGA Season 1's 'The Gift').

It's quite possible that Wraith follow the lamprey model and get a large percentage of the energy, since the feeding process dessicates the body if continued until the victim dies.

tobi
August 7th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Other cultures other preferences. Could be some sort of wraith mating ritual:)
(Sorry, that would probably be feeding on each other)

lunarleviathan
August 7th, 2006, 09:41 AM
It's pretty obvious that Wraiths can't sustain their life by feeding on themselves.

As for Wraith feeding on each other. I'd love to see a story involving 2 Wraith-Human hybrids (Likely Michael + 1) beeing in some situation where they are stranded, one is ok but the other is dying and needs to feed. The first hybrid allows the other to feed just enough on him to survive, and by the end they're both almost dead. Then Shepp's team rescues them, for whatever reason involving the under-lying episode plot. :sheppard:
It'd be good for showing the way the added human side of the hybrids might be affecting them. :)

Syera
August 7th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Any story that involves Sheppard rescuing a Wraith (or two) has the potential to be very interesting...

Freekzilla
August 7th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Any story that involves Sheppard rescuing a Wraith (or two) has the potential to be very interesting...

Any episode Syera finds interesting is interesting to me. :p

[SGC_ReplicĂ…tors]
August 7th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Like MCkay said....We cant meet there dietary Requirements

ablevins425
August 7th, 2006, 12:02 PM
']Like MCkay said....We cant meet there dietary Requirements

Actually Sheppard said that, but he said he was quoting McKay.

Syera
August 7th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Any episode Syera finds interesting is interesting to me. :p
Aw, thanks. :)

sarc
August 8th, 2006, 01:14 AM
If Wraith can feed upon each other, what is the need for converting them to humans with the Retrovius?

ascendedancient42
August 8th, 2006, 05:52 AM
If Wraith can feed upon each other, what is the need for converting them to humans with the Retrovius?

That's what I was wondering while watching 'Allies'.

Perhaps Wraith don't taste good and humans do.

The retro-virus also makes a relatively strong Wraith into a "weak", lowly human, giving the attacking Wraith the advantage.

I think mammals and similiar animals all have anti-cannibalism instincts (have you ever asked why humans find eating humans objectionable?). The Wraith may as well. This is an educated guess and may be completely wrong. It's in our best interest to not eat human flesh, due to reasons of disease compatibility and such. It makes sense for us to have the instinct to avoid eating our own kind.

Kael
August 8th, 2006, 08:36 AM
As pointed out in "The Defiant One", Wraith can feed on each other, but then why in "Allies" did the queen need the retrovirus to feed on enemy Wraith? Especially when you consider that in "The Gift" it is said that the more Wraith-like Humans are, the tastier they are.

tobi
August 8th, 2006, 09:02 AM
She didn't need to, she just wanted to see if it's possible to feed on the humanized wraith.

metabog
August 8th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I think it violates one of the laws of thermodynamics. :D He would eventually run out of energy, he can't just get more and more energy just like that, some of it is lost.

ascendedancient42
August 8th, 2006, 07:43 PM
As pointed out in "The Defiant One", Wraith can feed on each other, but then why in "Allies" did the queen need the retrovirus to feed on enemy Wraith? Especially when you consider that in "The Gift" it is said that the more Wraith-like Humans are, the tastier they are.

Not quite correct. They said the feeding process was more efficient, which sheppard assumed meant more tasty.

Taste has little to do with efficiency. Vegetables are supposed to be good for you (more efficient, cause it gives more nutirtion), but they don't taste good.

Maybe eating other Wraith is like eating vegetables?

Freekzilla
August 11th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I believe the Wraith like it when humans resist and defy them, because they've said a few times that they'd enjoy the taste of thier defiance. Defiance must be that special sauce the Wraith find extra tasty.

Locutus_Of_Borg
August 12th, 2006, 01:52 AM
hmm good theory
Maybe he gets ill then better strengh while hes feeding, keeps changing...or he dies either way